Thursday, May 29, 2014

middlin gear


MIDDLIN GEAR

Now, I know that for some of you- and you know who you are so please don’t embarrass yourself and others by denying it- that are frankly bored with the whole pointless existence of modern life, essentially doing little more than devoting all your efforts and treasury to other less worthies engaged in such endeavors such as siting all day on front porches drinking malt 40’s, or a boss reporting to the corporate suits that your work was all his idea and would that bonus check be in before the holidays?  And it does you little good to wish upon a star that you were back in a simpler time like when men were men and sheep were nervous and armed gladiators clashed for the rights of bedding fair maidens so that they weren’t very fair once you got done with them.  But if you lived back then you just would have been a flea bitten serf, so don’t go there.  I mean, sure, you’re a serf NOW.  But there is much better sanitation and even if you have to work fifty hours a week and commute ten and must give the wife seventy percent of your pay and Uncle Obamy the other thirty, hey, at least you get to watch seventeen all sports channels all weekend long.  And yet, as great as those sports channel sound, you still dream of arming yourself with plastic carbines with attached red dot sites and cool front guard vertical grip and built in compass and clashing in gladiator combat to win the hand of maidens a little past their prime and definitely in need of a bath before you despoil them.

*

Too bad you don’t have any disposable income left from being a debt serf.  You keep hinting that for Christmas all you want is an AK with folding stock, but there never seems to be enough extra left over for that and so you get a scarf instead, and while you suspect that the wife just got a boob job and is getting an awful lot of deliveries from the same UPS guy, you can’t really confirm this since you never get to touch them anymore and yet this seems to be where your cool semi-auto acquisition fund went to.  As I keep telling you, you need to downsize your expectations.  You don’t need the best two grand AR platform in 308, nor do you have to settle on a $150 Russian bolt rifle built by the Czar and then used by five different proto-communist countries after that most of which involved jungles and rust combated only by liberal amounts of coconut oil.  Sure, if desperate and in a hurry and facing prospects of never earning much ever again, go low ( then upgrade if time permits ).  But there is nothing wrong with middlin quality.  It might not be the best, but it ain’t crap churned out at factories even the Chinese peasants fresh off the turnip field wouldn’t buy from. 

*

As I keep whining about, every time I buy from one of the China-Marts, I get screwed.  Abysmal quality ( and oh I’m sure it coincidentally starting about when the economy took a bit squishy- but not to worry, green shoots!!! ).  Wal-Mart is especially bad, even with name brands.  K-Mart is not quite as bad.  A Wally pair of slacks might last four months, the K-Mart ones go six to eight before they rip at the seams.  I loved my $15 K-Mart boots, so much more comfortable than Wal-Marts and they did last twice as long but still only six months.  Those were the last pair of shoes I bought cheap.  I went ahead and ordered  a pair of GI style Rothco boots from Amazon.  $55 with free shipping.  You had to immediately replace the laces, but great otherwise-real dead cow skin.  It took half a day to break in and while I need to wait to see how long they last it’s looking promising.  For slacks I ordered Dickies from Amazon.  Spend twice as much, and get four times the use.  It ain’t top of the line, and doesn’t cost it.  Middlin.

END
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*
All My Contact Info, Books For Sale, Links:
 

13 comments:

  1. what is your opinion of the SKS? Or the mini 14?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the SKS over the AK, but can you even find then affordably anymore? You don't save much over an AR with the Rugar, so why not just stick with a much more available platform?

      Delete
    2. a mini is more reliable,IMHO

      Delete
    3. This will ramble a bit and for that I apologize. If you do get a SKS make sure to get the replacement firing pin. Check the net. The Mini is over-priced for what it is. Jim, do you keep track of phrases you use and when? An example would be "men were men and sheep were nervous" - one of my favorites of yours! Wally world had a great pair of boots for work that of course when I went back to grab a second set were discontinued. Par for the course. They also sell Dickies - at least until I decide to buy a pair. Continuing with the rambling, have you read the book at the top of your blog - "The Poor Man's Sniper Rifle"? Not much in the way of a description when you follow the link.

      Delete
    4. Alas, no, I don't keep track of my brilliant utterances ( the men/sheep is not original to me ). I have the book and love it. It tells how to modify a No.4 Enfield. Free float barrel, crown work, redo wood, trigger. All cheap.

      Delete
  2. My favorite go-to gun is my humble .30-.30 lever action Winchester. I've had it for almost 20 years. More than adequate to get a deer but no kick and easy to use.

    On pistols, I like 9mm. Yeah, not as powerful as most armchair Rambo's guns but at least the ammo is cheap -- cheap enough to practice with and stockpile.

    Idaho Homesteader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as we've talked about, it is all about the ammo now, not the gun

      Delete
  3. Anonymous, with the prices coming down on ARs, $600-$800 for Bushmasters they are a better deal than the Mini-14. Yes you may save $50 or $100 by getting the Mini but mags for the mini are at least twice the cost or more for Ruger. I don't endorse the off brand Mini-14 mags.I like the Minis and have owned 3 over the years but support for AR parts and options are cheaper and more available.

    The SKS is a reliable weapon. With a little practice, they are fairly quick reload with stripper clips. There are levels of quality to consider. I pick up a Russian for $400 during the panic as well as a milled threaded Chinese. I've been told to avoid the pinned barrel. FWIW the 2 SKSs are my back-ups for my AKs. But I have way more than I really need.

    If you can get a decent SKS for a good price its an option. You didn't say if this is a one rifle armory. If it's just your only gun than than there are more considerations. I have owned all 4 and there are plus and minus to each. None are truly a Holy Grail although some may swear by one.

    Check ammo availability on the weapon of choice. I already stocked up on 7.62x39 so i haven't been watching it.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made your kids better with my superior genes, and I'm not charging you a dime. We'll call it even.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the past 2 years I have managed to acquire 4 pairs of the 5.11 TacLite Pro pants. Why? At 55 I'm not gonna have to worry about pants for the rest of my pathetic existence, the things are tough. My shirts are Dickies from S-Mart because they are cheap enough and durable . My gun is the same one that James Bond used to assassinate Godzilla back in 1958. I might be lying about one of the above three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it couldn't be about the gun. It's all about placement so even a little 380 can bring down 'zilla.

      Delete
    2. No, he's refering to JB shooting down a helicopter with a .22 (an original AR-7); though it was believeable because he shot the guy who dropped the grenade which took out the chopper.

      Delete
    3. Okay, my sarcasm fell flat. I was funnin the 9mm folk.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED