Monday, August 11, 2014

6 months escape/prep 7


SIX MONTHS ESCAPE/PREP 7

( Six Months To Escaping The Rat Race And Preparing For The Apocalypse Cash On The Barrelhead )

 

Grinder

Some people love to stockpile rice because it needs no grinder to prepare. Evidently even in the Apocalypse it is too much to expect any manual labor to be performed.  Okay, I’m being harsh.  Some folks love the taste of rice.  I am emphatically NOT one of them, considering rice to be little more than dried wallpaper paste pressed and formed into uniform pellet shape.  Rice has many advantages.  First, no grinder is needed.  Even if you grew your own you could separate the hull with primitive tools not much more complicated than two rocks ( wheat is not as easy to mill, which led to peasants either eating gruel or paying onerous grinding fees at a monopoly protected mill ).  Second, those primitive separation processes allowed you to store the grain without spoilage ( anyone that tells you to store whole grain rice or sells you a can of the stuff is an ignorant fool or a charlatan.  Whole grain rice goes rancid quickly ).  And most important in those regions it is a staple, most of the time you got two crops a year rather than one ( and, water is easier to fertilize ).  But when rice is a storage food, rather than a farm staple, it has important disadvantages.

*

Rice is nearly twice as expensive as wheat.  Rice is grown commercially in central California and in some Southern locations- no where near the extent as wheat or corn ( do NOT store corn.  It is too moist, it is no longer cheap, it has a third of the protein of wheat and it is nutritionally inferior ).  And you are paying nearly twice the price for an empty carbohydrate.  Rice is complimented with heavy vegetable additions because the milled grain has calories but little else.  Whole wheat has a lot of extra nutrients and fiber and so doesn’t need as many added garden greens, a plus for extended shelter stays you will see as you hunker down during die-off or after a solar flare of super volcano eruption.  So, you must learn to use a grinder.  If you are smart, you stick with a Mexican or South American corn grinder.  It cost $45 after shipping, and you will want to own several.  Having several tons of wheat and only one grinder is pretty retarded.  The secret to grinding wheat with a corn grinder is to pass each batch of grain through three times.  Once on course setting ( plates far apart ), once on middle and once on fine ( plates almost touching- turn all the way to close, then turn the other way slightly to keep the plates from touching to avoid excessive wear ).  I wouldn’t buy any Chinese grinders.  They might be fine but with oil now dear shipping costs don’t give you enough savings to chance inferior craftsmanship on a tool that will feed you.

END
 
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*
All My Contact Info, Books For Sale, Links:
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Something is wrong with my guts, can't tolerate wheat. I stash rice and beans in about the same amounts. That's the best option I can find. Can't afford freeze dried stuff. So its rice, beans and muskrat for me and the wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling blindshooter. I too get tore up by the wheat, but since the rest of the family doesn't I still stockpile some of it for them.
      And I set the grinder to be able to handle corn as well as rice. I find that rice has too many calories per serving for my current sedentary life to cycle in and out quickly (eating your storage food for rotation shouldn't make you fat ).
      So for now I am concentrating on less the food (I have just over a years worth but not the 7years I want) and am instead concentrating on the improving of the land until acceptable enough to the spouse for habitation Likely still 1-2 years out... Hope SHTF doesn't speed up from its current pace...

      Delete
  2. Jim, Do ya have a brand name for the grinder you use, don't want to get a China one ya know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The painted red one that was recommended to me is unavailable. Might have to go with the $65 after shipping one if you want to avoid China.

      Delete
    2. Dammit! I just wrote up an article on balkanization this morning, prior to reading your comment. I'll still read the article of course, thanks

      Delete
  3. I strongly recommend storing Painted Mountain Corn seed. It is an open pollinated corn that has been developed by a fellow in Montana.

    Painted Mountain is a colored 'cornmeal' type of corn. It can handle dry summers, and a short growing season.

    Save your best ears for seed the following year. I have some seed that is almost 7 years old that will still germinate.

    Grind for cornmeal or fry whole kernels in oil for a "CornNut", crunchy corn.

    I harvest my ears, pull the husk back, bundle several ears together and hang from my kitchen rafters.

    Idaho Homesteader

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED