Sunday, December 23, 2018

rent to buy 1 of 3


RENT TO BUY
A minion brought up “I don’t think buying a home is a good idea” the other day.  I thought this would be a good topic, if for no other reason than in the last dozen years the housing market changed as drastically as just after WWII, if not more so.  Now, while I agree that ownership no longer pays, I can see why renting sucks just as bad.  But since you aren’t living on junk land, you get to pick one of the other Lesser Of Evils.  I won’t bring up junk land again, because I love you all.
*
Let’s talk about buying, then renting, then the dreaded buy/rent hybrid.  First off, a show of hands please.  Who here believes ANYTHING, in light of the last decade of all dysfunctions combined, is going to be anywhere near as “good” as it is now?  Don’t we all agree thirty years hence is going to blow chunks?  If this is the consensus, who thinks assuming a multi-decade debt chaining you in place is going to be a good idea?  Just that one question should give anyone pause.  I won’t belabor everything far worse-you know what they are.
*
Okay, but beyond that.  If you look at the long term trend in real estate prices since the Federal Reserve Bank was granted monopoly rapine rights, essentially you see that real estate NEVER went up in price as an asset.  It stayed flat for a century once adjusted for inflation.  Now, gold isn’t any better as an investment, because it has been artificially suppressed.  Silver, even worse.  Government paper is a joke as is ANY corporate or banker paper promise.  We all know Social Security and pensions are humped-we just don’t know when.  Truth is that ALL wealth is gone.
*
If you are a little peon, if you are not truly one of the ruling elite, one of the fraction of the one percent, you don’t get to have wealth.  You are a wage slave, and don’t you try to escape.  They have fugitive laws for that.  You cannot ever truly save or accumulate wealth.  The silver you bury in the back yard will be worth a king’s ransom one day, long after you are dead.  But the ONE asset you’ve been promised was your road to treasure and happiness, the house?  No, sorry, they humped you, then left without cuddling.
*
Not only did inflation wipe out all gains, and property tax at a minimum doubled, you cannot buy adequate quality material to even properly repair the thing anymore and that little detail assures its true value drops over time.  More and more maintenance, with far worse materials, and your house is truly a money pit.  Even as you invest premium amounts in less worse quality ( such as a metal roof, a better furnace ), the extra long term cost per year adds up to serious money even after you pay off the bank.  You live long enough, to over the initial payment.
*
If the whole point of buying a house is to need less money when you retire, and after the loan is paid you have monthly $200 in property taxes and are still amortizing the new roof and central heat and air upgrade at another $200, how exactly did you invest in having no rent cost for retirement?  If your Social Security is $800, how is having half that go to rent even feasible?  As long as you don’t pop any pills, perhaps you can make it work.  Until property taxes increase again.
*
Or food prices increase.  And yet, just plain renting is no better.  You pay MORE than a mortgage, so you don’t save on lack of maintenance.  And it never ends.  At least with a house, you only pay from 15-30 years, then get your payments halved ( unless you live too long ).  With renting, you only have increasing costs to look forward to.  I don’t know about you, but when I worked for Da Man, only minimum wage hikes gave me a raise.  Wages don’t even come close to inflation.  You CAN’T get ahead in this game.
*
Now, most folks think they want to rent so they can move to available jobs.  It used to be true you could sell the house to move to a job.  That is no longer the case.  Wages are too low, housing prices too high, and eligible buyers shrink with the work force.  So THEN, renting became a good idea.  But, turd in that punchbowl, now any job paying enough to meet rent is in a high cost of living area.  Every time you move, you lose the cleaning deposit ( regardless, it seems near universal ), AND your new rent is higher.
*
Rentals used to be cheaper, because of bulk buying.  Slap up a hundred unit apartment complex and every appliance, every rug, each square foot building, and management costs, all went way down.  But then the hooer bankers got bailed out with trillions and jacked up both house down payments and tightened lending requirements.  Far less folks could buy and rental prices skyrocketed.  The bankers like this artificial inflated profit.  You as a renter, not so much.  And don’t even get me started on illegal immigration inflating rental prices!  If you buy you are stuck and if you rent you get ripped off.
*
What are you supposed to do?  Some folks rent AND buy.  They have a mortgage on a mobile home and pay rent for the lot.  It is twice as expensive that way, if not more, but not at the beginning.  They get sucked in like a car buyer, with a lower monthly payment.  Even if they buy the land for it rather than rent, most areas are so overcrowded that land costs are artificially high.  They won’t pay as high house maintenance costs at least, because very soon a mobile home is underwater in value so you just redneck repair.
*
I’ll continue tomorrow on this. 
( .Y. )
( today's related link here )
*
note: JRG-most excellent snail mail donation.  Thank you!
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page ( or from www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods ( I get 4% of the Amazon sale, so you need to buy $25 worth for me to get my $1 ) or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book ( web site for free books, Amazon to pay just as a donation vehicle ).
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there



19 comments:

  1. Following. Minions should be flexible and have ability to go mobile, very quick like. A study of history during collapse, conflicts, etc. reveals mobility to evacuate and relocate is the only thing that spared lives. Any locale from 5 dwellings on up can be contested turf or disaster flattened terrain. That h.o.a. or "good schools" yuppie community is not insulated enough for safety. Enjoy your castle, but be 'highly prepared' to flee and not look back. Survival and staying alive is more important than an illusory frilly decorated suburban nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True to a point, but like the farmer we are stuck on the spot. Hard to move a ton of wheat or ammunition.

      Delete
  2. In my 40 years of designing buildings the most striking thing I have learned is how ignorant almost everybody is about the most expensive thing they will ever be involved in. Their home. Really, it's appalling. Every client that I have dealt with over the past 20 years or so not only received a well designed home but also a substantial education along with it. Every single one of them thanked me profusely and referred others to me. ALL of my business is from referral and never any advertising. Ever.

    You know, you can present a blue ribbon apple pie 4" tall and golden brown all over and there will still be someone in the room to complain. "What about all the small creatures that were killed in the field when the wheat for the flour was being harvested? How can any sane person eat one morsel of that ghastly pie with that on their conscience?" sigh

    Ignorance enslaves more people than tyranny could ever hope to. Ignorance keeps them small, lazy, and poor. This is a travesty, considering it doesn't have to be this way.

    I would be as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs if I bought a house without knowing everything about all of it right down to the last nail. Houses have always been the most expensive purchase, but only in the past 50 years or so did people become so ignorant about them that they are retards and pay dearly through time money and effort because of it.

    Get self employed, get educated, work your ass off at something you truly enjoy while ignoring silly distractions of all types and slowly at first but faster the longer you do it, you will break free from the financial chains that are wrapped around your throat. Or, blob out on the couch and complain and whine. Your choice. Yes, I wrote the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignorance=profits. Making people ignorant=profits ( TV, school system ). Don't hate TOO much as a character flaw what was designed to be weaponized against people. They aren't ignorant as much as uneducated, right?

      Delete
    2. re:
      10:31 ...weaponized...education...

      Hmmm. How about 'weaponized dis-education'?

      PS:
      Ha! Auto-correct has a thing against 'dis', preferring 'cis'. Ya can't make this stuff up.

      Delete
    3. Good Christ-seriously? Cis. You made my day.

      Delete
  3. BTW Jim, I'm enjoying the newsletter. Very much. Maybe more so than the blog. The format has a little to do with it. The blog posts are only this wide | | but the emails go all the way across making a much more comfortable read. Content's not too shabby either. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, excellent. Now that I know you are a subscriber please allow me a few questions. Did you enjoy the content yesterday? Should I continue on in the same vein? I agree with you on the page layout, just not sure if I want to change it as those ads on the right are my payday. But as far as that goes, do you think if an e-mail is good, a PDF would be better? As an e-mail attachment. Input appreciated.

      Delete
    2. Content, 7 topics. Yes, I liked that. A variety of topics, each short and sweet. Some I liked more than others. Included links. Yes. I looked at the lighter, put it on a wish list. I put a (cowboy) coffee pot on a list too. I liked the black rifle real estate too but all of that was way too expensive, so no wish list on that one. LOL

      Ads on the right? I didn't see them, at all. I must have that stuff turned off some how. I viewed it in gmail and there were no ads.

      PDF? No. It requires another procedure to read and in my win 10 pdf viewing is a major pain. If you go that route I'll do what I have to to read it, but I'd prefer not. I liked it just the way it is. I wouldn't mind if there were some small pix, graphics, etc. Plain text is OK, but pix are OK too. See, I'm not hard to please. LOL Looking forward to the next one.

      Delete
    3. I've wanted to do a Survivalist Advertiser periodical for many years now. Which is essentially what you got, in starter form. One stumbling block was the problem getting photos. So, once I decided to go text only, I actually went ahead and did it. So, long story short, it stays text. No PDF-you made a good point. Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
    4. Jim, you've graduated. Go pro. You May need seed money, or technical geek support to advance your own, "owned", site to have control and not be blackballed by big tech for just being right about things. This will afford more advancement of your ideas, writings, philosophy. Yes, it will need monetizing as bills must be paid. It may be surprising that business or corporate backers may chip in or advertise like they do now with politicians on both sides just to stay in favor. It would be a wise investment to avoid Minion Wrath in the future clean up operations. I would look forward to glossy productions and videos with galloping unicorns, flir-less bolt guns, and patriot brigade soundtrack music. Hurrah!

      Delete
    5. One other thing, and I'm not sure I can describe it. I'll preface by saying gmail isn't my primary email and is used for stuff I'm not sure of, like online purchases from not familiar sites, newsletters, etc. Anyway, when I seen your email there was something else below it that looked like it might be a spam, so I deleted it. It deleted your email too. WTF? So I undeleted your email and the suspected spam became undeleted too. WTF again? So I opened your email and there it was, the cowboy coffee video. It was part of your email but on the front page in gmail it looked like a whole nuther email. crazy stufz Now that I know it won't catch me by surprise again. I liked the video - short, sweet, right to the point.

      Delete
    6. Your msg's are just right!

      Delete
    7. 10% response rate on the newsletter-looks like a forum so I'll try rolling it out and re-title it. I think "SAW" Survivalist Advertiser Weekly. Unless I get too much negative feedback, of course.

      Delete
    8. re:
      1:03 re: pictures aka graphics

      On the website 1776Patriot by 'John Roarke', his pictures float. This's the only time I see this phenomenon.

      He includes great post-apoc imaginings, so I want to open / save, but my magic box doesn't recognize them as either a graphic or a picture.

      Would something like these add value to your other product(s)?

      Delete
    9. Graphics-bah, humbug! USA Today posers.

      Delete
  4. JRG here - you are welcome.

    Wife and I self contracted our small home, built on a lot her Father gave her years ago. Built an 1600 sq. ft. cmu exterior walled stick built interior w/ gypsum board walls and 8' ceiling for about $45,000. We live in deep south so slab on grade foundation really helped with cost. It was payed for completely before we even moved in, both of us in 30's when we built it.

    We've lived in it since 1996 and taxes are still fairly low in it. But we are likely slated for eminent domain eventually, a state university nearby for future expansion. We'll be okay if we can stay another 15 years - by then, probably getting a bit long in tooth to take care of it properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to tell with timing, but hopefully the entire college system takes a big crap this next economic contraction. There have been baby steps with a few unprofitable schools closing. If that goes widespread perhaps you'll be saved.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED