Thursday, December 13, 2018

Night Of The Comet re-Review ( post 2 of 2 today )

[ post 2 of 2 today ]
Following is my original review from my book on Post Apocalypse movies ( in the book BBBno7 ).  After that, I'll update that review as I just watched this movie again twelve years later ( it is on Amazon Prime ).
*
NIGHT OF THE COMET
Rated NR, 1984
Catherine Mary Stewart, Kelli Maroney
I wasn’t sure about watching this, but they did promise widespread death and Eighties hair and music. I didn’t expect too much but I still walked away disappointed. This was simply too bad of a movie. Oh, it wasn’t bad compared to TV movies. But not up to theatre movie quality, even considering a lot of low budget competition. Nothing really happened, and what did had “low quality” stamped all over it. The acting was mediocre, the music was crap, the story was marginal and the pacing was nap inspiring. It looked like everybody tried pretty hard, but nothing really meshed. What should have been a bad story saved by a sense of fun was just a bad story. It was a good idea. A comet only seen once before 65 million years ago when it wiped out the dinosaurs comes to Earth.
The tail end of it kills everyone ( we are assuming magic space dust here ) except those in metal structures ( semi trailer, garden shed, movie projector room ). Those partially exposed turned into zombies instead of dying outright. Then, evil scientist dudes need to round up the survivors and drain their blood to keep themselves alive.
*
Now, few zombie flicks make much sense scientifically because they are, after all, about zombies. You do need to suspend disbelief about certain aspects of it. Yet, even in the zombie film universe, this story made no sense. How is it that the scientists in their underground lair are exposed to zombie dust? They are in a steel structure so the comet rays don’t effect them, just like the three civilian survivors that the story focuses on. But they are slowly turning into zombies because they left the ventilation system on without filtering the air. Yet, why didn’t the civilians have the same problems? They only had metal structures shielding them, with free air flow. See what I mean? And the rest of the story was pretty slow moving. Essentially, comet hits, they figure out they are alone.
They go to the mall to shop ( yeah, we get it, consumerism is bad as pointed out in Dawn Of The Dead ), fight off stock boy zombies, scientists find them to drain their blood. A Mexican Cowboy they are both drooling over as the last non zombie man alive comes to the rescue ( even though the non cheerleader character is portrayed as super-fem ). The end. But even though the movie was a mere hour and a half it seemed to take forever to get there. A campy cult classic, they say. I say, another turd to avoid.
*Genre Rating-terrible. The electricity stayed on, very few hungry zombies tried to eat them, no sense of disaster, no panic.
*Nudity Rating-bad. Only a few cleavage shots.
*Overall Rating-not bad if judged as a made-for-television movie, avoid otherwise.
***
Okay, I was REALLY too harsh on this the first time around.  Yes, it was one of the worst apocalypse movies.  BUT.  As a regular movie, with zero expectations of a PA genre film, it was actually not too bad at all.  If viewed as simply an '80's movie, it has charm and nostalgia.  The music isn't as bad as I remember.  Neither was the acting.  Obviously, I allowed myself to view the entire thing with hostility once I found out it wasn't an apocalypse film.  I overreacted, slightly.  I wasn't in a good mood viewing this the first time and missed the fact the thing wasn't trying to be serious at all.  Watching it a second time I got the carefree fun.  I hadn't realized how low budget this thing actually was, and viewed in that light it was very well crafted for the results you see.  So, my apologies.
( .Y. )

15 comments:

  1. "...few zombie flicks make much sense..."

    Right there.
    I have never seen more than about 10 minutes of any zombie show.
    Ever. I mean, whats the point?
    It's not even potentially true, it's in the same realm as cartoons. I have seen my share of cartoons but you go into them knowing they ain't real. Well, cept Jonny Quest.

    Same with vampire, alien, ninja, and a whole host of other topics. Don't watch em. Thinking along those lines, I never cared for the Dukes of Hazzard type stuff neither. Doing car jumps that will snap the frame but continue on down the road after eluding once again Roscoe P Coletrain (the Drew in Firecreek (1966) I mentioned yesterday. James Best played a lot of good roles in the old days). Suspension of disbelief is very limited around these parts.

    BTW, the fact that that movie starred 2 females was a big hint. Now, if it was R rated for nudity I might take a look. wink wink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One good "nipple through very thin fabric" shot. I think the big draw here was the little sister character actress was in other movies, Valley Girl and Ridgemont High if I recall correctly.

      Delete
  2. I remember Catherine Mary Stewart, mostly from that last star fighter movie. Just looked her up. Damn. She was born in 1959! That’s older than I am, and I’m an old bastard!

    As cheesy as some of those 80’s movies were, the 80’s was the last decade that freakywood produced anything even halfway decent. By the time that the 90’s came rolling around, hollyweird was quickly running out of original ideas, and that’s when re-make hell was starting up.

    Now it’s virtually impossible to find anything original being produced today, or without the inclusion of a turd burglar, a magical minority, or an empowered fem. The thing is, these SJW themed productions generally tank, ratings wise, and the hollywood fools continue producing the same crap over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are one of the Chosen Few and subscribe to my e-mail newsletter, this weeks article is going to be on my proposed connection between winning the Cold War and the feminization of Hollywood.

      Delete
    2. I am and I do. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
    3. 4:48-excellent. I wanted to explore it more but don't have much data. Pretty much just introducing the theory.

      Delete
    4. Newsletter? I gotta get in on that . . .

      Delete
    5. Excellent. Not sure why so many minions hate me and refuse to sign up for the thing.

      Delete
    6. Don't let any more people in on bison elite!

      Just how many minions can Fort Elko (mounted trailer trash division) sustain?

      Remember that your tip of the spear minions aren't exactly welcoming of strangers with bit city haircuts

      Delete
    7. I'm transitioning to solar powered bicycles so that we are able to expand the range of our patrols-the division can remain viable with a few more joining.

      Delete
  3. Best line in any move...ever.
    "Daddy would have gotten us Uzi's"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, it has only been about a week since I re-watched and I had already forgotten that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that movie and I believe the characters came to the conclusion that it was radiation from the comet that turned the general population first into blood seeking creatures and then into piles of dust, not dust from the comet. It was the scientists in the bunker that thought their ventilation system had failed and that they were exposed to a biological contaminate. Since the main characters survived and the scientists didn't, I'd say it was the radiation theory. And I thought the comet missed the earth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My confusion stems from the fact that little sister was in a tool shed in the back yard. And the truck driver in the cab of his truck. So, being surrounded by metal shielded you. But why would thin sheet metal work ( and while thick steel, the truck cab was open on one side where the windshield is ), yet feet of concrete and rebar, under tons of dirt, not work to shield radiation?

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED