Thursday, June 12, 2014

boot knife drama


BOOT KNIFE DRAMA

As I already mentioned and yet no one responded to with concerned inquiries so now I know where we all stand thank you very much, a few weeks ago I wrote an article on epoxy which had the awesome title “A (e)pox(y) on your house”.  In fact, in nine out of ten surveys this emerges as the most witty and clever title of all time and should be acknowledged as such.  I had to delete it because after I gushed approvingly over epoxy-and a brand name one at that which I won’t mention but usually involves advertisements in which a car is held up by one drop of glue- the crap failed on me repeatedly.  I had ordered a boot knife through Amazon, a Rothco brand which was affordable and good looking and genuine leather sheathed and I thought looked snazzy with my black slacks and polo shirt work uniform ( and glossy combat boots- let’s just face facts and admit I’ll leave a damn good looking corpse although that begs the question why legions of breeders are not begging me to leave them a sample of my DNA ).  The problem was, the clip on the sheath was not real strong. Strong enough so the thing wouldn’t pop off and get lost, but not really strong enough to stay on my belt as I drew the knife in practice runs where I stood against the forces of attacking zombies or starving Yuppie Soccer Moms.  I tried to epoxy the clip closed to alleviate this issue.

*

Well, not once but twice I bought a dollar one time use tube of metal epoxy and tried to get the bastard to work.  Alas, to no avail.  I even ordered another knife, which was NOT easy.  First, I went around town to the Big 5 and the ranch store and a few others and tried to find a belt knife.  You can find folders all day long but not so easy with a fixed blade.  Those you did find had crappy sheaths.  I wanted a dress knife, apparently a category I just invented because retails had 70% folders and 30% big huge ugly knives only suitable for camping or hiking.  Oh, the folders are nice looking, and are not ostentatious, but if a pack of coyotes attacks me at five AM on my bike, I really don’t have time to stop, ask for a time out and unfold the only weapon I have after my can of wasp spray runs dry.  Even the brand Buck, NOT in the least affordable, has gone to ugly canvas sheaths instead of leather.  Bastards couldn’t afford leather for a $60 knife?  Next up, I went shopping at Amazon, looking for a small blade with a leather sheath.  The closest I found was a $16 all black one, but it was over nine inches long.  I can’t sit in the truck with that kind of length.  The boot knife is something like a smidge under seven inches and it sits real high- so it stays out of the way.  In the end, I stayed with the boot knife but cut out a bit of the leather on the back so that the clip rests on metal instead of the leather as it originally did.  It doesn’t slide off nearly as easy now, although it isn’t perfect.  The trials and tribulations.

END

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.

*

All My Contact Info, Books For Sale, Links:


 

10 comments:

  1. I picked up this Schrade Old Timer Boot Knife (7.8" overall) at budk recently James.

    It was only $24.00, and comes with a nice leather sheath, and has a 7Cr17 high carbon stainless steel blade.

    Decent knife for the price. If you wait long enough, budk every so often offers penny shipping; or at least they used to?

    http://www.budk.com/product/Schrade-Old-Timer-Spear-Point-Boot-Knife/176469.uts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I can't quite see the sheath. It almost looks like a belt sheath. Details?

      Delete
    2. Ok; yes, good point James. It has a belt loop, even though it's marketed as a boot knife? So you could easily wear it on your side if you wanted. If you wanted to use it as a boot knife, I'm not quite sure how you would mount it?

      Wayne

      Delete
    3. It looks like a good loop system. Some are mainly decorative. I'll look again-thanks

      Delete
  2. I was going to mention the "Old Timer" too. Great knife, curved blade but very useful. I've had it for over 30 years. Haven't carried it in quite a while as I carry a Spyderco folder. Belt knives are frowned upon unless a folder with a case. The Old timer is a good knife. If you life the style, you'll be happy with the quality.

    BTW....are you doing something special to that magnificent hair? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is said here on belt knives of either type- I'm just trying to stay under the rader to avoid it becoming an issue

      Delete
  3. If its a real 'boot' knife, (the sheath type that clips onto top of boot) AND has a double edged blade, be aware that many jurisdictions have laws against them. Just saying..

    I've seen that Schrade boot knife mentioned, it seems okay. If you want to go inexpensive, an Old Hickory 'pig sticker' seems the way to go, but you have to make a sheath for it. Not very hard though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are correct- and any place outlawing a four inch knife should NOT be where you want to live

      Delete
  4. I checked the blade James, and it's just a tad under 4.5”. It's not a true double edge; it's a partial double edge, with a false edge, so it should fly no problem.

    A second look at the sheath indicates very good quality.

    I think that this may very well be the purchase that I have ever made on a knife in this price range?

    Yes; as would be expected in this day and age, Schrade has gone Chinese. But apparently they managed to do so without sacrificing quality?

    A few good close ups below:

    http://www.smkw.com/large/knife/SCT162OT.jpg

    http://www.c1k.com/images/schrade/162OT.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all crap from China is bad. Six years now on two out of three solar panels.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED