Sunday, October 7, 2018

shelter in place


SHELTER IN PLACE
I used to mock the whole concept, even the very mention, of Sheltering In Place.  After all, being the official spokesperson of junk land real estate incorporated, what could possibly be said of staying in your worthless abode to justify such a poor decision?  You had to have and live on, or at least own within reasonable distance, poor boy land.  And of course I still think this is the case.  Alas, I can’t claim with much conviction that this is realistic for most people.  Not working is scary, and fear dictates you stay with the devil you know.  Says the guy who stayed with the same douche canoe wife for a decade past the relationship pull date, and is still using Windows computers.
*
I preach my convictions, and my own personal experiences being ravaged economically dictate that I can approve no other lifestyle than living on junk land.  But I also have survived on not much past whole wheat for years at a time, and I can get very few minions all that excited about stocking little more than wheat kernels.  Nor could I convince all that many that the Lee-Enfield rifle was the best battle implement ever devised.  I mean, come on!  Patton was a really humped in the head dude.  Reincarnation?  We make fun of female movie stars who believe in that crap, but don’t use it to discredit a Army general?
*
The M1 Garand was a special kind of rifle, granted ( I had no idea until now that the Garand was actually designed to use the BAR magazine but the brass at the Ordinance Corps insisted on the 8 round clip so as to conserve ammunition, a stance they never abandoned since the War Of Northern Aggression ).  Yet troops who had a choice seemed to prefer the Carbine, if not completely than on a wide scale.  So Patton might have been a bit off when he claimed the Garand was All That And A Bag Of Chips.  I contend that the Lee-Enfield was a much better rifle by the time the no4 came along, but you all understand my bias.  Nonetheless, I ranted and raved about the perfection of the firearm for the survivalist and was soundly ignored.
*
I could pretend that I was hurt, but I take all the facts I have on hand and I stubbornly dig in my heels on an issue once I make up my mind about something, and I need zero validation from others by this point.  But I’m not so stubborn to realize nobody else is listening or heeding my advice polished to perfection.  I’m used to it.  I know I always end up right eventually.  The only rolling I’ll do in my grave is laughing uproariously as all my naysayers are punished for their own stubbornness.  But part of recognizing that my advice is being foolishly ignored is to make suggestions so that your choices are less sucky.
*
Sheltering In Place is the lazy man’s survival strategy, and yet I perfectly understand that unemployment is scary crap.  Voluntary unemployment is exponentially worse.  I didn’t pull the plug on my regular day job for years after I didn’t need it, for the simple fact that I couldn’t conceive of going without the security of a paycheck.  Yes, I made it work.  After I squirreled away so much cash savings that the thought of losing it to inflation ate away a good chunk of my stomach lining.  The uncertainty of a paycheck was worse than knowing how much purchasing power I was going to lose.
*
So I understand perfectly well that you cannot just say to your loyal loving minions, suck it up and move.  It isn’t as easy as that.  And yes, I understand working for a paycheck is a suckers game.  You save or earn your employee dollars and receive pennies in return.  Except.  Sometimes you earn your boss pennies and earn dollars.  No, in the end it doesn’t perfectly even out, but I think at times it can be close.  During business downturns, you can cost your employer money.  The trade off is you don’t get to earn as much of the profits in good times.  Just because self employment works great for most who try it doesn’t mean it is for everyone.  Some folks prefer safe over potentially rich.
*
So anxiety over a lack of paychecks are a valid concern.  You can’t just dismiss that anxiety by claiming “but it’s good for you, if there is a collapse”.  Because while there WILL be a collapse, and all indicators point to soon, you still cannot guarantee it is going to happen in your life.  Because trying to time the collapse is what snake oil salesmen do.  Which includes trying to convince you the collapse is guaranteed to NOT happen until a certain time.  If I tell you we are already in Peak Oil, I have warned you to take extra heed that problems are worse than you thought.  If I try to tell you that official government statistics and the mainstream media have “proven” that it won’t happen until 2027, I have endangered you by trying to convince you all is well and that you can relax.
*
Looked at in that light, I think Doom And Gloomers are far less evil than Optimistic Ollies.  But people don’t listen to the boys crying wolf, do they?  Only if it profits them to do so.  That is just reality.  If your current situation dictates you deny danger, more often than not you do so.  It was profitable for me to panic and “know” I needed to move to junk land because rent was taking three quarters of my take home pay ( and that was after working overtime AND my writing income ) and was increasing ten percent a year.  If staying in the city is what you need to do to keep working, you’ll naturally be inclined to “know” that you are safe to do so, at least for now. This is NOT a judgment, but rather a observation of human behavior.  We continue tomorrow.
( .Y. )
( today's related link https://amzn.to/2DRvhST )
*
note: free books, plague https://amzn.to/2ylSVRF .  Duh, of course there was going to be a zombie book https://amzn.to/2yuBYoj .  
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page ( or from www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book. If you don't do Kindle books, send me the money and I'll e-mail it to you in a PDF file.  If you donated, you may request books no charge.  
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there



33 comments:

  1. A strategic decision. Working some type of job in urban / suburban area while economy and civil society still functions may be a necessary form of collaboration. This allows a Minion not of the rich class to gain income for preps. Living in those economic zones, with the bad taste involved, is a form of garrisoning while preps, financing, training (mental, physical, intel info) is built up. There is ground work to be done before stepping off past a line of departure in an assault towards the goal of full on certified independant self sufficient Minion status. This prepatory phase and actions will enhance the success rate of a pioneering Minion upon departing from the system / society, as there will be no going back or do overs allowable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, as long as you can overcome the need to stay there past its pull date.

      Delete
  2. Erring on what seems to be the safe side is what most people tend to do. Not many want to give up the luxuries they have even if those things are bleeding them dry.

    I went for years doing the mainstream thing until I got fed up with it and went the homeless route for a few years. Going to the junkland way of life became a step up from random tent sites in the woods and even though right now I am getting run ragged at a "normal" job, I know there is an end in sight. Once I get my supplies built up, I can go Johnny Paycheck on them. My timeline for that is 6 months to a year, depending on how bad I want this parcel of land I got my eye on. I do like being close to town, but a real Hermitage property is mighty appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you already had land? Are you upgrading?

      Delete
    2. I do have land, just thinking I would like to be further out. I checked on the listing and it got sold, so my choices got simplified. I like it when that happens.

      Delete
    3. Okay, I can relate to Never Satisfied With Preps.

      Delete
  3. “You had to have and live on, or at least own within reasonable distance, poor boy land.”


    I consider it to be good and practical advice, but I don’t have a spouse or kids to be responsible for, and I’d imagine that most of the minions do. Long gone are the days when you could drag a wife and kids all over the country, and live under primitive conditions. Modern women be independent (Even though it’s a false, male subsidized independence) and won’t settle for this, and CPS would probably confiscate the kids for denying them their righteous, Marxist indoctrination, free of charge from the state. That Long fellow, of “How to Survive Without a Salary” fame, managed to pull it off, but he’s the only one that I can think of right off. It’s still a good idea to get the land though.


    “Yet troops who had a choice seemed to prefer the Carbine”


    That’s probably because you had to be an Olympic athlete to lug one of those 150lb Garands more than a mile. Really nice guns though. I shot one that a friend of mine had, and it was a really sweet gun, with hardly any recoil, and the advantage of the powerful and long range .30 .06 round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long had a conventional house hooked up to the grid. His wife had access to fellow hens to cluck along with. I admire him, but he did cheat back when you could.

      Delete
    2. He was also in Canada, so he didn’t have to worry about medical costs, and the such. I don’t know how much of a difference that would make, but I recall that someone in the review section of his book, seemed to think that it would make a significant difference.

      Delete
    3. Medical costs only matter if you want to Cheat Death and live longer than your natural pull date.

      Delete
  4. Staying connected into the periphery of civilization allows access for hookers and blow. Totally undisciplined and slovenly folks can't live life without endless distractions, pleasures, and enhancements. Envision the imagery of a yokel pulling into a pilot fuel station in a lifted and blinged out truck. Steps out in shorts and jesus sandals and walks five and half foot self into store. Comes out with jug of corn syrup on ice. In the truck is the beaver and and her anchor baby (his ball and chain) offspring, thinking all along she has such a fine provider. In the end of it all "not gonna survive".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women generally don't have to worry all that much about survival. A good provider today that screws up providing for the crash will just be replaced by another provider. And he doesn't need to be rich or successful, just better than the last slob.

      Delete
  5. The employment indoctrination is tough. Very hard to break through. It took me a full year to work my way out of it. I had the best job I ever had, more money, excellent everything. But it wasn't enough. In the field I'm in I must be creative, which is how I am naturally. Born that way. But my excellent job was not capable of letting me exercise all of my creative needs.

    An option happened by, someone asked me to create a design for a building, for money. I took it on. I worked on it at night and on the weekends while working my full time job. I liked it. When that project was completed the owner referred me to a friend that wanted a building designed so I did that one too. That's how it started. Within a year I was making more money at my side job than I was at my full time job. After a couple months of consideration I told the boss that I was going to quit in 2 weeks. 10 days later I was scared and told the boss I wasn't going to quit. I worked there for about 10 more months and just couldn't justify the cost of being employed. My full time job, which was the best money I ever made at a job, was preventing me from making even more money at my part time job. So I quit for good. I was now totally self employed, and it was terrifying. No benefits, no insurance for my wife and young son, nobody providing my work and my tools. What if people stopped hiring me? What if I got injured and couldn't work? What if, what if, what if.

    In time I worked out the bugs 1 at a time and everything was running like a well oiled machine. Adjustments were part of everyday life and I made them as necessary, and kept prevailing. Obstacles happened and every time I found ways around them. After a few years of self employment I couldn't imagine ever working for one employer again and could no longer recall why I did for so long.

    Indeed, it is a whole nuther way of thinking. Being self employed causes me to think in a larger sphere because I don't have the security of a full time job. It caused me to be more confident in myself and my capabilities and less reliant on others. It's a constant learning process, as all of life should be, and I feel sorry for people that can't break free from the, first, mental entanglement, and second, from the financial slavery.

    I really think that each of us is born to be self employed, as it seems natural and being employed by others seems unnatural, and it's only by way of early indoctrination that most of us are not and never will be. And that is unfortunate. The only thing that really matters in this life is your time, the one thing that you can't get more of, and about one third of your time is spent doing what other people think you should rather than what you want. That's not life, that is slavery, and it's a travesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the fault isn't with a worker, but the boss. Very few are good at it. It is too much work for them to make your job rewarding and positively challenging. Something as simple as profit sharing is confusing and foreign to managers/owners.

      Delete
    2. Yep, not so much the boss, but the system. Ghost Plinker, (is right on man!) In many regards, but. The system is mechanically and technically engineered to keep you on the reservation. Agenda 21 is an infantile version of corraling the herd into where "you all" asses are sitting right now. The key is to be straddlinng the current slut consumer world and having your wagon pointed outward. The main take away from shelter in place is to be the ball swinger enough to take the tribe with you on the drop of a thin dime. And / or be bunkered up for defcon 5. Helluva a scenario post apoc.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I didn't emphasize enough that bosses are asswipes.
      I had 33 of em before I broke loose.

      If we all believe a collapse is going to occur and/or everybody is going to be jobless anyway and thus forced to scrape money and resources anyway possible, does't it make sense to start practicing now? (you won't wait to start acquiring food, guns and ammo and shelter the day before collapse, right?)

      Do NOT QUIT YOUR JOB!

      But rather, start doing other stuff on the side, for additional income. And the first mf'r that comes off with all that whining about already putting in 10 hr days and having to pick up the kids, and this and that and the other, and needing time to decompress - well, in time, you'll get exactly what you deserve.

      It's not about doing what I say, cause I personally don't care, but rather doing what you believe to be right, and the best option for you and yours. You truly haven't tasted the best things life offers while trying to fashion a living under the yoke of employment. Money is only part of the bigger picture, but there is so much more.

      Delete
    4. A big part of the pay off isn't monetary but freedom. Your mind is more enslaved than your body. You practice frugality and much more planning ahead- having the freedom of action to simply plan realistically because you get out of slavery mode once you stop trying to please the boss who rewards non-productive behavior. We are all masters of making money. Living with less is a lost skill, if you ever had it. Living to produce instead of please personalities of a dysfunctional sort.

      Delete
    5. Very true Jim. You are doing well, having been out from the yoke for only a year. As Dan Quayle said, "The mind is a terrible thing.", and he was right, if you put that mind in the control of bosses, media, and worst of all, gov't.

      Some other famous dood said we only use 10% of our brainpower and I believe that too. And it's even less when you delegate a lot of thinking to other sources, see above. When you take on full responsibility for all facets of your existence, in order to survive you MUST utilize much more of your mental horsepower. Or you will fail.

      I enjoy thinking, it's the one thing I have 100% control of. But, it makes me intolerant of things that seemingly are incapable of thought or oblivious to it. IOW, I will not put up with people or circumstances that are idiots, and in time shape my life to be absent of them. This is pretty much why I can barely tolerate being around anyone any more. Most people do not think much.

      Delete
    6. Dan Quayle, speaking about something he has no experience with :)

      Delete
    7. I just remembered the potatoe spelling, but now that you mention it, I recall M. Brown. And, Old Wrinkled Dried Out Twat Dementia Twins With Hilary Slut :)

      Delete
    8. I wasn't sure if you would remember that incident Jim, but Dan Quayle actually called Murphy Brown a slut during the original run of the series. It was over MB having a child out of wedlock, which apparently at the time (late 80's early 90's) was still considered somewhat controversial.

      Now in Hollywood's eternal quest to stay relevant, another show from the past (that sucked shit even then) has been rebooted. And yes, it appears that hitlery has some kind of a bit part in it, or possibly even a recurring role?

      Candace Bergen was really hot at one time though!

      Delete
    9. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    10. Sorry, that was bad gramer even for me. Let me repost with corrections:
      That is why you find an ugly thinner gal when she is young. She doesn't age any worse the wear. Start out with a curvy hot one and it is just down hill. And Hilary, in a movie/show? What is her role? Sitting in a wheelchair slumped down and drooling? I want to say something mean about Michael J Fox right now but feel in might be too much :)

      Delete
    11. I must have misunderstood your initial comment Jim. When you mentioned Hitlery, I thought that you were referring to the fact that she is indeed in the newly rebooted Murphy Brown tv series. I don't watch such terrible shows as this one, but I saw a commercial the other day, and from what I gathered, hilary walks into Murphy's office and applies for the position of secretary.

      Yeah, I suppose Michael J Fox would be an easy enough target, and family guy has already gone there. But best I can tell, he's an alright guy in real life, so not feeling the hate :D

      Delete
    12. No, sorry, I only mentioned Hilary because I was thinking of anyone that was as ancient and decrepid as Candace must be by now. It was just an association kind of thing. I don't watch commercial TV any more, so the only ads I see are on YouTube. I didn't see or know about the reboot.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can spout off each day, that is easy. Readers heeding the advice is a lot harder. Even though I've done it all, mostly, everyone's situation is different and difficult. Not the least because we are all prepping for slightly different scenarios from different situations.

      Delete
  7. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit
    my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Digital Hell, one of those pesky White People Problems. Done it myself, too often, and still I don't word processor copy and paste.

      Delete
  8. Speaking of Candace Bergman. If you want to see how she once was very hot, check out a movie called, "The Adventurers" (1969). Many people absolutely hate this movie, but I thought there was much to learn from it. In the movie she goes from a sweet, all-American beauty to a LG tramp. Very prophetic. By the time she got to Murphy Brown 20 years later she was very admired, but she really reminded me of a man. Now she is quite a hag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit before my time. Only a few to cherry pick there from, Clint, Lawrence of Arabia, River Kwi. Most of the westerns are dreadful like they came from the same Disney set as Danial Boone. Just a generational thing.

      Delete
    2. Never saw the movie that 6:22 mentioned, but she looked pretty good in Bite The Bullet, co-starring Gene Hackman and Jan-Michael Vincent (That dude must have fallen off the face of the earth?). But she was masculine acting in that as well.

      You might already know this Jim, but she’s the daughter of the famous ventriloquist Edgar Bergen, from the 40’s and 50’s. Remember his dummies Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd?

      Here’s a few pics of her and her father when she was young.

      http://bmpr.com/chip_martin/blogs/images/chip_martin/2014/CandiceCharlie.jpg

      https://68.media.tumblr.com/32ded455cbe4763471d7bb182f65290e/tumblr_mjvzgyaTUJ1s8y0gvo1_500.jpg

      Delete
    3. Jan-Michael Vincent was a lot older than he looks back when he was famous ( he is mid 70's ). In the 90's he got into three car wrecks ( he was always an alkie and drug user ), one almost fatal and that seems to have mostly killed his career. I had no idea-thank you Wiki.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED