Friday, October 5, 2018

battle rifle book 10 continued


BATTLE RIFLE BOOK 10 continued
The AR-15 continued
I don’t think the AR is a great survivalist weapon.  Not really.  It is a bit on the fragile side, compared to almost any other system.  It calls for jacketed rounds, which means if you cast bullets you need to coat them ( which isn’t as simple as a wax coating, but requires baking on specialty paint ).  The round itself will do, but is probably the worst choice of all the semi’s we cover.  And yet.  The frugal survivalist honestly has too few other choices.  If you are rich, you just go pick the very best.  But a decade into The Greatest Depression, how many of us have unlimited funds?
*
Whenever a survivalist guru wants to pimp his favorite rifle, he pulls the smelly justification out of his ass, well, what is your life worth?  Well, smart ass, it is worth a billion dollars.  But I don’t earn that much, because my boss is a short sighted turd knocker and hates me.  And I can’t be self employed earning that kind of money because I’m not Bezos.  So hump you, real people not in your unicorn land of delusion are on a budget.  99% of preppers are poor, must act poor due to circumstances beyond their control, or are in line to get a pink slip and must act poor to plan for that.  Spending money like our current debt based fiat currency system unsupported by foreign oil any longer is not imploding is far more retarded than compromising on equipment.
*
You can buy a factory AR for as little as $350, easy peasy all day long.  The next cheapest non-AR semi starts at $500.  This might not mean much to some of you, but when you need multiples of a rifle and you need five to ten thousand rounds of ammunition, these price differences take on new meaning.  And that $500 unit is a bargain compared to the full size thirties.  Plus, two things very important about the AR, you make ghost guns and the spare parts are stupid cheap.
*
Spare parts mean you don’t have to invest as much in a second or third rifle.  You don’t need to buy another rifle, just the spare parts.  And the AR is the easiest and cheapest gun for non-gunsmiths to assemble or replace parts.  For what is cost for one receiver cover for the HK-91, you can buy almost a complete parts kit for an AR.  Granted, it is a cheap parts kit, and not what you’d prefer, but you still have options that way AND you can find AR’s lying around all day long but have to travel to another state to find an HK, post-apocalypse.
*
As one reader points out, the AR is the only gun where the user can replace the barrel with a simple wrench.  All others are gunsmith levels of skill needed.  I can’t imagine most of you will have enough rounds to shoot out a barrel, but that isn’t the point so much as most of us are idiots and the AR is the most idiot friendly.  The AR has become THE standard prepper and militia weapon in the US, which means that the rifles ( well, mostly carbines ) are one half the price and parts are one quarter the price.  That alone goes a long way making the gun more acceptable despite its problems.
*
As for constructing a ghost gun, it isn’t necessarily for everyone.  I don’t think gun control to an unacceptable level is impossible, but if it does come to pass I can choose to actually fight back or just become enslaved.  It doesn’t matter if I own a registered gun or have a ghost gun.  Because having a ghost gun doesn’t mean much if you don’t use it, does it?  So at that point NOT having a ghost gun is somewhat of a moot point.  That said, it is nice to have the option of an unregistered military arm, just because.  I don’t think it is vital, but it does give you extra options.
*
And THE gun for ghosting is the AR-15.  Nothing else comes close to options and availability.  There are other 80% guns out there, but none as cheap or varied.  You can buy a polymer poured kit for the lower receiver, or buy a 80% aluminum or polymer.  You can buy ones needing a drill press or one needing a router.  The only thing is, none of them are cheap unless you are making more than one gun, unless you already own the tools.  I’ll break down the cost either way, and I’m going to use ten as the numbers of multiples.  Partly because you will be making duplicates for yourself ( one is none ) and partly to equip your militia squad or make money on the black market.  You don’t HAVE to buy more than one, unless you pick the option that demands it.
*
www.80percentarms.com offers a $120 jig.  It requires a router.  If you own one, that makes for a $61 lower receiver ( $49 aluminum blank plus $12 per receiver equipment amortized-remember, in sets of ten for the cheapest ).  If you need to buy a router, each lower now costs $71.  If you bought just the jig and just built five, $71 each.  If you bought the jig and the router, $93 each.  If you only make one it is $170 without the router or $270 with needing the router ( this is why it makes no sense to make just one ). 
*
www.polymer80.com offers a $67 polymer kit.  You need a drill press for it.  If you own a drill press, congratulations.  You only needed to spend $67 for a stripped lower receiver, and only needed to buy one.  You can buy a drill press for just $50 at Amazon, but I’m sure you get what you pay for.  Still, even then you are only spending $117 all in.  If you bought a better quality press and built five, your total costs are about $87 each.  With ten, $77 each.  Of course, these are polymer and are going to be less strong than aluminum ( the buffer tube area ), so plan accordingly. 
*
You might be forced to have back-ups just because of that alone.  Myself, I would be buying $299 on sale parts kits from:
So the polymer receiver would be the lowest quality part of the whole unit and I would feel the need for back-up stripped lower receivers.  If I was going as cheap as possible,
You can buy a kit for $240.  Don’t expect it to be without problems.  If I was that poor, I’d spend the $117 on the one polymer and drill press and hope I never had to use it much.  But for $357 ( $307 if you already had a drill press ) I’m not sure what anyone would reasonably expect.  This is the very definition of a Butter Knife Gun, or, as I wittily call it, The 21st Century Mosin-Nagant Gun.  
*
www.ar15mold.com offers a $340 kit for five receivers with a recharge kit for another five at $130.  The good part is you don’t need to buy equipment.  The bad part is that you don’t get 100% success rate.  It seems that one in five or one in ten pours simple has too many defects and it must be discarded.  But, we’ll call you lucky and all your pours are successful.  If you only use the first five pours, you are paying $68 a receiver.  If you made ten, that comes down to $47.  Just keep in mind an unsuccessful pour adds to the cost of the ones that turn out.
*
If you can’t invest a lot of money, polymer80 is your best bet.  If you need quantity cheapest, go with AR15mold.  If you want quality and quantity, 80percentarms.  All prices end September 2018.  Also, all companies by consensus seem to be the better ones in what they offer, as far as my research showed.
( .Y. )
( today's related link https://amzn.to/2InIIJ7 )
*
note: free books. Zombies https://amzn.to/2PeBWYD .  Dystopia https://amzn.to/2Ct1UF2 . My mostest favoritist zombie book of all time because you read almost nothing about zombies and instead it is all about character development.  AND the Lee-Enfield rifle is featured.  Graphic sex warning, however.  https://amzn.to/2CtvGcT .
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page ( or from www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book. If you don't do Kindle books, send me the money and I'll e-mail it to you in a PDF file.  If you donated, you may request books no charge.  
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there




48 comments:

  1. Jim, you are evolving as you age. Your articles are an embracement of the ar15 and involving costs of building / manufacturing of them. I bet you had to take a long shower to wash the remorse of playing on the dark side. I have always "PREFERRED" other types of long guns for collapse and apocalypse for "their own" attributes. I worked in a very busy gun store and kinda got corrupted by the developing realities and own attributes of the ar15 deployment as a survivalist gun. I think minions once considering initial outlays, can also make a decision as such. What people spend for t.v.s, furniture, trucks, etc. An "investment" can be justified. Timing is now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm evolving as my stress level finally reduces from self employment to where I can take the time to research ( but far more importantly, the time to think and ponder ). I'm not busy being an editor or a fund raiser. All hail and support me.

      Delete
  2. I saw this (link below) over at Bud k recently. I’ll be the first to admit that the .410 is pretty much worthless as a shotgun. But it does have some survival potential (Think M6 Scout) and could be a good option for those that want, or need, an off the record shotgun. There are videos out there illustrating how to reload the expensive .410 shells without a press. But of course, those with even moderate skills would not need such a kit.

    DIY Survival 410 Shotgun Kit - Partial Kit, Quick Assembly And Break-Down - Made In USA - No FFL Required

    https://www.budk.com/Runway-Sub-Cal-Popa-Survival-410-Shotgun-Kit-%E2%80%93-Partial-Kit-Quick-Assembly-And-Break-Down-No-Tools-Necessary-Made-In-USA-%E2%80%93-No-FFL-Required-44231

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see that BudK is offering more options along these lines, along with BP pistols and 80% lowers. Good on them. I'd definatly pass on the above however. You can too simply make your own, AND in 20g for better performance ( without as much recoil as the 12 ) and much lower ammo price. Just look up Kurt Saxon and the Slam-Bang.

      Delete
    2. 20 gauge? If you follow that same pipe design, the recoil would be harsh. You could reduce it with some pipe insulation for the butt and the comb, strapping it on with duct tape. It would match the utilitarian look of the pipe. 20 gauges often have similar recoil to 12 gauges. Although the cartridge itself has a lower recoil impulse, 20 gauges usually have lighter frames and barrels, so the actual felt recoil ends up being the same.

      Wasn't Kurt Saxon's slam-bang part of his Marvin the Martian series? I think the base was plywood, meant to slam against your own chest to initiate firing. At street-robbery distances (the example in his story) the shot spread would be about 1", with lots of opportunity to get it misaligned and miss the target. Hopefully that's the right story, it's been many years since I read it.
      Peace out

      Delete
    3. Marvin the Martian is correct, and I never cared for his plywood buttplate myself.

      Delete
    4. For a "slam gun", look for a CIA WWII assasination weapon that looks like brass knuckles. Needs aiming by punching the target to activate the forward trigger. The report is muffled by the clothing and body cavity of the target, with extra damage by hot gasses inflating/burning the target body cavity. Nasty little thing for street warfare.
      Cheers.

      Delete
    5. Required accessories to use said gun: set of brass balls.

      Delete
    6. It was Clarence, and there were a few different stories (Clarence and the Gay Martians, ALL MUSLIMS ARE MARTIANS, etc).

      Here’s a few links, though I’m not sure if I caught them at the beginning:

      https://www.survivalplus.com/defense/page0003.htm

      https://www.survivalplus.com/defense/page0003.htm

      The slambang as described in Saxons story, wouldn’t wouldn’t be of much use other than what his protagonist was using it for (concealed ghetto blaster; quite literally :D ).

      A better version was outlined by that Royal Nonesuch dude if you can find it (The commies at youtube took down his channel, last I checked).

      Delete
    7. Here is the page for all five stories:
      https://www.survivalplus.com/defense/toc.htm
      And if you look up in the left top corner there is a link for all his food articles. If you are a Semi-Auto Apologist, do NOT read his article on fantasy weaponry. Thanks for reminding me-I always forget he still has stuff available.

      Delete
  3. “It calls for jacketed rounds, which means if you cast bullets you need to coat them ( which isn’t as simple as a wax coating, but requires baking on specialty paint ).”


    I’m sure that you’ve touched on the reasoning before, but I wasn’t really paying attention (I’ll never own an AR, so I skim over these articles). But what about cast bullets with higher percentages of tin or antimony, to increase the hardness? That Teflon dry spray seems to work pretty well. It leaves a dry, powdery coat over whatever is treated. You could also pre-season your barrel with it prior to firing.

    I’ve been reloading since I was about 8 or 9 (Child labor; dad made the best use of me as he could) but admittedly, don’t know as much about the science behind ballistics or reloading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another minion would have to answer. I just know you need to use jacketed bullets in new fancy plastic guns.

      Delete
    2. Yes, jacketed is REQUIRED in such a high velocity, high pressure caliber. Older 30 cals can get away with lead casting your own with Lyman's equipment and using gas checks (little metal discs on the heal back of bullet to insulate lead from hot gas melting and tracking up your barrel, f.y.i for those curious) So, lay in either conex box of ammo, or big truck of reload components, to include manufactured jacketed bullets. Only options, start dinking with proven techniques and taking shortcuts, it WILL destroy equipment and shrapnel your face, decide wisely.

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, some might be forced to take shortcuts. But, just as with the Mosin-Nagant, the choices are "blowing up in your face eventually" or "at least I have ammo".

      Delete
  4. Or you can do it like a REAL poor minion did, me.

    Buy the individual pieces one at a time as budget allows.
    I started with a $100 Spikes Tactical lower (that includes shipping) + $25 for the FFL transfer from Tombstone Tactical.

    Then I bought a Black Rain Ordinance upper from Primary Arms for $120 including shipping from Primary Arms.

    The trigger group is CMMG for $70 from a local store.

    Then the biggy, the Black Rain Ordinance barrel for $199. An on and on.

    If I was wealthy I'd have bought all of it when my research was done but alas I am but a poor white sharecroppers chow suffering through my meager lot in life, as such, it took me 4 months to get all the stuff and start building. I could have started earlier but as this was my first build and didn't want to mess it up I waited til I had accumulated everything necessary to test fire it, then I dry fitted as much as I could before the final permanent build.

    It was a successful build.
    Anyone familiar with basic tools, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, hammers and punches, vices, etc. can build one if they have patience and the ability to figure stuff out, and an internet connection for reference purposes.

    Nothing builds confidence like success.
    You can do it. If you want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your point is well taken, but just allow me to make a point myself. How long did it take for you to get a decent amount of ammo? If we can't time the collapse, and need to be prepped yesterday, is your approach realistic? Or, might a crappy version, with all the ammo, FIRST, be better, with a quality version later as you describe? Then you have Two Is One, as a bonus, but more importantly were ready NOW. I'm not arguing against quality. That crap saves your life. I'm arguing against assuming the End Is NOT Nigh. Another bonus, you build your first rifle that is dirt cheap, you aren't as frightened of screwing something up.

      Delete
    2. "If we can't time the collapse, and need to be prepped yesterday, is your approach realistic?"
      ==============

      Could we time the collapse in April of last year?
      Obviously no.
      I already have other guns so there was no impetus to build an AR if you look at it strictly as a need (because collapse could be starting as we speak).

      If that is the case (unknowing when it will be needed), then I fall back to my alternate, get a $300 .22 semi and as many rounds of ammo as your current money allows.

      Here's my reasoning for why I am against the cheapest AR on the shelf. First, everything is being cheapened these days in ways you can't imagine. If you study the AR and understand the precise detailing in how it works and balance that with how everything manufacturing now is to be questioned and weigh that against the importance of having a gun that is reliable, you'll know why I am against those $350 AR's. You'll be severely disappointed at the very worst time.

      If you knew what I know now, after exhausting research covering months, and then more than a year of experience with the finished product that has had zero failures, you would agree with my take on the cheap AR's.

      If inexpensive and quickly acquired is the goal then I believe my rim fire suggestion is best.

      To bolster all of that, right now everything of excess must be cut immediately and all resources channeled into that multi-faceted goal of being debt free/self sufficient as possible/located in a rural area/2 years of food and water and supplies. This should have been done years ago of course but we all can't be geniuses with our finger on the pulse of collapse, but we learn and adjust and continue forward. The sooner you start the sooner you get there. Now is now, not tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. The $350 AR is of course the Mosin-Nagant Of The 21st Century ( trademarked ). It is a butter knife gun. I would feel relatively comfortable with a $450 AR, as I've heard good things about Palmetto State. Well, probably make that $500 as you'll need some manuals and basic tools assembling it. And a lot of $500 off shelf AR's are getting good reviews. By no means ideal or perfect, I think my point is that you can do much better for far less than the ideal $2k version. But yes, know exactly what the $350 gun is-use it to get better gear from the enemy.

      Delete
  5. Semi guns with gas ports from barrels also shave off lead, and burnt gaseous lead into the port. Not a quick failure but another problem there. Time is not critical until it is. November 7 (wednesday day after election hangover, yo!) can see a shelf raping of inventory. Bubba's gun emporium will look like a venezuala grocery store. Internet vendors web page= out of stock, zero quantities available. Phones not answered timely at mail order catalog companies. Listen to the music and specials while you wait for customer service to answer. Action now should have been yesterday, and can't wait till tomorrow. Minions have been advised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct to be Extra Special Minion Levels of paranoid, but I'm predicting the same level of gun/ammo inventory shortages as happened during the run up of Hillary. None. When there is a Left political election scare, and everyone has jobs and commodities are scarce, inventory goes to zero. With no jobs and a glut of commodities due to global depression killing demand, there are no shortages.

      Delete
    2. Excellent reminder. Thanks. I'll be hitting Rural King tomorrow and getting a bunch of ammo.

      Regarding those gas ports, they are heavily chamfered so as to eliminate as much "shaving" as possible, but I catch your drift. Using quality ammo is the best you can do in that regard. I've used nothing but GECCO so far and blow back has been very minimal. All in all I am very pleased with my AR build and if I could change one thing it would be the cost. But then, I think that about a gallon of milk these days too.

      Delete
    3. Even though the AR was costly, if that is your allowed budget at least the investment is behind you. Like paying off the house. I'd guess you are more butt hurt you couldn't buy two or three more just like it, hmmm? :)

      Delete
    4. You know what they say. Buy good, cry once. Buy bad, cry twice. :-)

      Delete
    5. Now is the worst time to buy junk, as soon there will be effectively no jobs and no stores. You must do it right, right now. There just has to be a balance between quality and affordability.

      Delete
  6. I’m perhaps the worst prepared of your minions as far as battle rifles go, since technically, I don’t even have one. I have an old .30 .30, that my father ruined by cutting both the stock and the barrel down (Those things already have only a 20” barrel, and aren’t that long to begin with). I do have an inline muzzleloader that I bought on Rawles recommendation (Yeah, I know, please go easy on me here) but very slow to load, and thus limited as a battle rifle.

    I do have my Sharps rifle, which is a single shot, but accurate to very long ranges, and will shoot the eye out of an injun chief at 9/10ths of a mile (Just ask Billy Dixon :D ). But it uses very expensive and uncommon brass, so it is not a practical gun.

    I suppose my vintage 10/22 is the only gun out of all of the above that is somewhat practical, minus the limited range issues that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been and always will be a bolt gun guy. Semi wastes ammo and the average Joe's brain chemistry will not allow for calm, cool, collected fire discipline. To repeat, this book series is about the best semi, but that doesn't mean I approve of them.

      Delete
    2. "Starting from nothing" (post divorce, robbed, young & broke, hospital-evicted, etc.) is an interesting thought exercise.

      A 5.56 bolt action with barrel twist optimized for heavier longer bullets (77gr+)might be a good first weapon, esp. if it were one of the models taking advantage of AR detachable box magazines. Boltie with 30 rounds makes for long strings of shooting every 4 seconds if you have that many targets. Still have to be able to safely shoot Uncle Sam's 55 and 62 grain NATO ammo, so not to become excessively specialized. Peep sights first, then lots of ammo, then as much 'scope as you think is appropriate for the 800M weapon. But, this is if you only have one gun.

      I think Jim has proposed getting bulk ammo as a first move, as long as there is a safe place to keep it. There has not been a better time to buy ammo in 13 years!
      pdxr13

      Delete
    3. You've got it better off than many, with that 10/22.
      Download a manual for it and study it, watch some videos, learn how it works. In detail. Get brave and take it apart and put it back together. Study the accessories for it and perhaps purchase some. Make it better than it is. That 10/22 is every bit as accurate as that 30/30 thought it has less stopping power. So, get out there and shoot the hell out of that .22 and improve your skills. If you can't knock em down with 1 shot at 300 yds then put 2 or 3 fast follow ups in em. Remember when you shoot and kill 1 guy they are down 1 guy. But if you shoot and injure 1 guy they have lost a shooter plus another shooter that has to take care of the first one. Hits on enemy's is never a negative. Gonna be a nice day tomorrow, get at least 200 rds down range.

      Delete
    4. PDX: well, minimum gun, then max ammo, then back-up guns, would probably be ideal.
      GS-of course, the other guys help up as medical is a long term, winning the guerrilla war idea. It won't help you in the middle of the battle so keep that in mind.

      Delete
    5. "PDX: well, minimum gun, then max ammo, then back-up guns, would probably be ideal."

      Single shot 223 then CZ 527 in 223 is a nice combo

      Delete
    6. I would agree. If it is in your budget, naturally. If not, I hear good things about Savage. Should be half the price.

      Delete
    7. I've had good luck with Savage; mine is in .338 Winchester Mag. Good trigger; real world accuracy.

      Delete
    8. From the comments to one of your previous blog posts (comments matter guys - keep 'em coming)


      "RP via Bison Prepper Comments

      A bolt action anything for a deer or elk. A 22LR or trap for rabbits a shotgun for assholes and a 9mm for anything that comes through the door while you are reloading. People need to get past the Mad Max/Rambo/Purge fantasies and get real. It ain't rocket science!"

      Delete
    9. Of course I lament the loss of affordable military firearms, but really, end of the day, for guerrilla warfare do you REALLY need to have much more than a bolt action hunting rifle? No. Decent quality and relatively affordable and past that we are probably asking way too much. Of course, if you cannot move from an urban area, semi's and crates of ammo are cheaper than a retreat :)

      Delete
    10. I've got stacks of quotes I have drawn wisdom from


      " The citizen/warrior is best served by a light-handy bolt gun (in 308) due to economy and simplicity, just like Cooper opined, but you already knew that.

      http://www.woodpilereport.com/html/index-469.htm"


      FWIW the latest that I took away from you was the bit about not going to gaol. f*** that. I don't break laws and I even adhere to ones that don't exist but I'm scared shipless of going to prison (I think I watched Big Stan to often)

      Delete
    11. I've suffered many an indignity to avoid going to jail. Yeah, bitches Go There immediately any more. Which is okay. My ego can heal easier than my body.

      Delete
  7. I found that Royal Nonesuch slamfire Jim (He’s kind of a royal dumbass :D but at the same time, a brilliant home gun builder ). Oh, and in case it isn’t obvious, you probably shouldn’t remove the shells from the gun the way that he is in the video.

    Short, simple, effective, and to the point. Download it through Firefox Video DownloadHelper, before it’s permanently banned.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhceWZiYPQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'll show my ass here and ask why he shouldn't remove the shells as such. Surely that can't make an effective plug enough to blow up the barrel?

      Delete
    2. Good question Jim, because he’s obviously getting away with it. He clearly didn’t know any better, and just lucked out here I think. I only know that one of the basic rules of gun safety is that you cannot have any obstructions in your barrel, and that even a slight blockage of mud or dirt can cause the barrel to burst. So really, I can’t effectively answer your question, but I will say this; I wouldn’t try this myself, even after seeing him get away with it.

      Delete
    3. I'm thinking perhaps that is with higher pressure ammo? I don't pretend to really understand too much myself on this. Just flailing about. Kind of like shooting the condom off the end of a barrel that was left on to keep the water out? ( I had heard about the water filled barrel bursting ).

      Delete
    4. There’s a saying that I once came across, and that I can’t quite remember, but it goes something like this: If one fails at such attempts, and destroys himself in the process, he was a friggin dumbass. But if he succeeds, he’s a friggin badass!

      This dude doesn’t play by any of the rules, that pussies such as myself (that are afraid of blowing our faces off) play by :D And as such, he’s a badass!

      Now I’m just gonna toss this out there (and no, I’m not saying that anyone should try this). But one possible solution to avoid blowing yourself up by using his shotshell extraction method is this: Port the barrel. Just make sure that the ports fall prior to the empty shell that’s being extracted. This should relieve any excess pressures from developing. You can proof test your design by firing the highest velocity shell available. Just don’t test it personally, but rather from a remote bench set up. How you would set this up with a slamfire would require some creativity, but I’m sure it can be done.

      Delete
    5. Love your definition, and good idea on fix. I'm thinking two springs from stock to barrel for test. Pull by pulley and rope and release. C-clamp on the barrel for temporary fastener for springs. I hope that sounds as clear as it was in my head.

      Delete
    6. Cool; I think I get the gist of it. Let us know how it works out if you ever get around to it.

      Delete
    7. Oh, and please disregard what I said about the porting @10:30am. I clearly wasn’t thinking before I posted. You can’t port the barrel for safety, and then use his extraction method, because you would have to port the barrel on both sides, in order to flip it around. It’s possible that you could make the receiver a little longer to cover the ported ends of the barrel, if it were ported on both sides, but you would likely subject your hand to hot gases, so I wouldn’t try it.

      Now after having said that, you can still port the barrel. But it would only be for the advantage of reducing recoil.

      Delete
  8. I just looked again at the AR-15 because of this blog... What am I missing, I still don't see it. Explain why I should not spend my $800 on something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, a HK91 clone? An AK? I cover the AK tomorrow. Let me know what you are looking for, as I really can't answer otherwise. As it is, I'm recommending the AR for people that insist on semi's but are still on a strict budget. If you are considering a bolt action, don't forget this book is for Semi folks. I am NOT one of them, I just wanted to cover this subject. I still think for those on a budget are better off with bolts or even break-opens, as then you only need one half to one third the ammo. And no mags or fancy carrying gear.

      Delete
  9. Well I'm way more at ease with a lever action 30.06 or a bolt actin deer gun. I've got a shotgun for after they are coming through the door and a kel-tek 9mm sub-2000 for when they are on the front lawn. I'm just thinking about something that could reach out and touch someone after we get to the point (real SHTF) where if I can see you I'm shooting you.
    I also believe you are correct about being unable to control your ammo use with a semi. Most of us at first, will have the shakes just putting the iron sites on another person. We will NOT be in control of our emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably go with a carbine round bolt, if components and ammo must be husbanded, or full size round if not. Why relearn a combat gun when you can just adapt your deer gun to it. As long as you have short range covered, you don't need a semi for distance. You could do better with a lever action, but I'd advise a bolt as they just do more. And since you are comfortable with both, don't limit yourself.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED