Thursday, October 25, 2018

don't pressure me, bro 2 of 2


DON’T PRESSURE ME, BRO 2
Yesterday I explained why I needed to can and store protein.  It is better than saving the money ( to buy the food later ) that inflates.  We’ve already had two hyperinflations in this country.  When the Continental was made worthless during the Revolutionary War and when the Gott Damn Yankee Scum invaded the independent states of the South.  It is coming again, and I guaran-damn-tee each and every one of you that-a claim I shall back up with a jelly filled donut as the wager.  The only question is when.  My guess is way before the Olduvai Theory end date of 2030.
*
Look up that Olduvai Theory.  I’ve talked about it before, and I find no reason to discount it.  Here, you crippled puke-let me help you:
Yes, I know, Wiki and the dreaded leftist agenda.  Hey, you can’t always believe what is on the right ( still waiting on more than six miles of wall there, Forrest Trump ) or the alt media.  You had to decipher the news through left bias before, in dead tree newspapers.  You can handle it over at Wiki.  Focus, here, would ‘ya?
*
I have plenty of food storage.  It just is incomplete.  I know my aging rebelling body dislikes it when I don’t give it enough protein or calories.  But I’m also never going to have the necessary funds to match my wheat to much meat ( right now, after accumulating for years, my off grid meat stash equals at most two months ).  So, I’ll just be happy to have SOME home canned meat to extend that Spam stash.  But if I’m going to invest in that, I want it to be worth it paying back as peace of mind.  I feel a year extra is a minimum.
*
I never could understand people who are content with a three or six month supply of food.  Heck, even as dumb ass as I was near thirty years ago, actually thinking in terms of disruption rather than catastrophe ( I just knew those evil Soviets were going to nuke us, but I’d either be dead from all out attack or it would be a limited exchange we could recover from ), I knew better than to think in terms of less than a year’s supply.  I mean, hello!  Plan for the worse.
*
I’m not adverse to spending the thousand bucks for 350-375 jars of meat.  The whole point was to turn cash money into assets to eliminate the need for money itself.  But you know how I keep telling you to be prepared yesterday?  It might take awhile to can that meat.  If I pressure canned butter, on the other hand, I’d be done in one quarter of the time.  Yes, I consider every prepping item a race against the clock.  Now, allow me to explain about the butter.  Yes, I know it technically is not a protein, but a fat.
*
In my own personal experience, living on a lacto-vegetarian diet for one period of experimentation, I have no problem living on dairy rather than animal flesh.  Granted, I ate some cheese along with the butter, so this isn’t a strict apples to apples comparison.  But I feel comfortable taking this step.  My body SHOULD be okay just with butter ( also, look at the peasants currently kicking the superpower USA’s ass over is southwest Asia-they largely eat whole wheat and butter.  Just saying, this is the second highly mechanized army of a major power they have defeated on this diet ).
*
Now, VERY important-butter is FOUR times the calories of meat per pound, yet only two to three times as expensive.  Chew on THAT.  If I can a mere hundred pounds, I’ve spent half the money and gotten the same calorie count with way more fat content.  AND, that is not all.  If you order in the next five minutes, we’ll throw in a bonus.  Butter doesn’t go bad if you don’t finish it all that day, unlike the meat. I can open it and in the summer it is still good for a week-two or three weeks plus in the cooler times of year.
*
I don’t even need a full one hundred jars, because I’m using quarts and one and a half pounds fits in each one.  I could stop at seventy jars.  I’m shooting for a hundred, but it’s good to have the option anyway.  I don’t really like the extra headspace in the jar.  A pound and a half gives it a two inch gap.  I’ve read that you don’t want extra space as the air might not evacuate nor create a vacuum seal, but I know you also don’t want fat getting on the rubber ring as it won’t seal. 
*
That is the thing about pressure canning butter.  There are few directions.  Since the gooberment officially bans canning butter, no one wants to stick their neck too far out there with guessing.  So everything I tell you is my experimentation.  It isn’t gospel.  I’m winging it.  I’ve read use the ten pound weight on the wiggler.  And I’ve heard an hour for pint jars.  I used quarts, and I still felt an hour was sufficient.  Butter isn’t like meat that must be cooked through over a long period.  The butter is already melted.
*
If you can pressure can milk in only ten minutes, I feel that an hour is probably WAY over the safety margin on butter, even if it is in a larger jar.  Now, as far as bath canning butter.  I read up on that from a trusted source.  It sounded feasible.  I tried it, wrote about it, then chickened out and removed the jars from storage and ate them immediately.  If folks have safely eaten five years in storage butter NOT pressure canned, just room temperature sealed, it stands to reason that pressure canning it is as safe as could be.
*
At less than an hour, I’m sure.  So to me, JUST an hour seems quite reasonable for quart jars.  That is just me, understand.  I could be wrong and this is a WAG, but I’m comfortable with it.  Now, a word on cans.  I had a heck of a time finding them yesterday, a few hours after I wrote part one of this article.  Wally had ONE case of regular mouth.  I didn’t want to buy the wide mouth, of which they had a half dozen cases.  They cost more, and I’m not sure they would seal as well.
*
Remember, you are essentially canning fat.  Which could ruin the vacuum seal.  A bigger lid might make zero difference, but I felt I shouldn’t take the chance it would take more to seal.  I’m flailing in the dark here, sorry.  And Kroger, who is always having a sale on jars, is back at original price which is $13 or so rather than $9 or $10.  Ouch!  And Krogers butter on sale at $3 always seems to “accidentally” be out of stock, forcing me to buy it at $3.29 generic brand.  ALL their prices seem to be increasing.
*
You know whose prices aren’t?  Wal-Mart.  I’m not sure if that warrants its own article, but I’m already over my word count here ( some of you get testy when the already long ones go even longer ).  A tip on the butter. Once processed and cooling, don’t bother shaking the jar to mix the milk solids back into the fat.  When too hot they immediately separate again.  Wait a few hours or until you can comfortably touch the jar with bare hands.  Then shake to mix.  Don’t wait too long or it solidifies.  I think that is enough on this subject.
*
( I think a separate article is also on the way as far as the shortage on jars.  Well, it might be a long note at the end of another article, if not a whole article itself.  I’ll be going to every single source in town for retail sales, and see how long it takes to replenish.  I’ve never noticed a seasonality to this item.  We aren’t a farm community.  Gardens grow poorly here.  The jars are available all year.  I just need to go to more than two stores to establish a trend ).
*
( ADDENDUM: I found more jars the next day at the ranch store, whereas Wally was out even on the wide mouths.  The ranch store had a clearance sale bringing them down to a mere 10% over Wally prices, so I bought eight cases.  They had been there awhile, dusty and sun faded cardboard.  So I guess everyone charges too much or few bother canning )
( .Y. )
( today's related link https://amzn.to/2NOjtR2 )
*
note: free books.  Looks like wilderness survival and E&E https://amzn.to/2EKqSBS .  PA devolved to lowest tech https://amzn.to/2EIaiT9 .  
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page ( or from www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book. If you don't do Kindle books, send me the money and I'll e-mail it to you in a PDF file. If you want them on a CD-ROM, go here for the info http://bisonprepper.com/3.html .  If you donated, you may request books no charge.  
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

22 comments:

  1. Jim. You are canning and prepping to avoid exposure. Exposure in the elements can be fatal. Exposure in the collapse society is certain to be risky, up to and including fatal. Every moment outside your compound now and later is a risk curve. Shop fast and in early hours, away from 1st of the month time frames. Don't dwaddle around profiling self as a treat to bad elements. Carry or bring guns. Drive circuitous route home to break a tail. This so observers whom mental noted all them mason jars purchased don't put a push pin in a map designating your location. There is a lot more to all of this stuff as a purpose than just spooning food into you mouth hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ranch store I purchase something from every three years or so. And not my vehicle. And using cash. Should be safe.

      Delete
  2. Recommend that minions of course label and date their canned items. I would also recommend some form of batch numbers and dates in a catalog spread sheet format. This way a folder of info can be kept for not only rotating stock purposes but, recording data and info on steps and methods. This will be useful for success and failure incidents. Relying on memory won't work on older flouride brain minions or in distracting collapse periods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think about ALL your preps. 99% is in your faulty brain. Upon death, the spouse and kids have no idea what all that crap is for. They won't connect the dots ( "why did he stock all those empty dishsoap containers?" won't be connected to "what do I do with all this Borax powder and washing soda?" )

      Delete
  3. Mental war game or make prepatory steps for self replenishment of protein sources. Hunting and trapping wearing only a loincloth may not be practicle or a pretty sight to behold. Raising caged animals or fowl as pets now, lunch later. If there is catfish or ducks near suburbs semi domesticated, go feed them couple times a week to groom them for harvest. Just some examples, Ymmv. Think ahead for when your spoon is scraping the bottom of your last jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pertains to all food storage, obviously. It IS all about the food. Not about FLIR scopes.

      Delete
  4. I have looked into minimum necesary protein and fat. To me, the nutrition info strongly indicates you want at least 160 calories from complete protein and twice that from fat every day for adults. Kids need a higher percentage of fat in their diet. Beyond that one may not ne happy about it, but the rest could be carbs. That’s about 40 grams protein and 35 of fat. 50 and 40 would be much better to shoot for. It is hard to figure those out for long term storage on a budget. I would not go all in with meat or butter, but go halvesies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Butter and wheat is NOT a great diet ( I'm assuming a source for the needed vitamins, just talking calories/fat/protein here ). A lot of societies do subsist on it, primarily around the Roof Top Of The World area ( Himilayas, Tibet, the 'Stans ). Look at the Eskimos. All meat isn't great for you either. All rice and veggies isn't optimal, either. These are Better Than Nothing diets. That is all mine is, here. And still an improvement in all wheat.

      Delete
  5. I'm listening to a podcast about weight loss (I know. You guys are picturing Dingo as a lean alpha predator and I'm torn. Do I shatter your illusions? Or do I let you continue to believe an untruth?)

    So there I am, listening to a podcast about weight loss (PHD in nutrition / body builder guys here). The bit relevant for Bison Minions calculating for food storage was that the average daily calorie intake for Americans used to be 2,200 calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, used to be. With much more manual labor. Yeah, 1500 from a pound of wheat is nothing more than sitting on the porch calories.

      Delete
    2. I don't know where everybody's getting all these ridiculous calorie counts from but that stuff's not happening around here and never has. 3000 calories a day? Really? No wonder everybody has goodyear tattooed on their backs - they look like blimps!

      Most of the time when you think you're hungry you're really just thirsty, but your brain and has been trained to think otherwise.

      And don't try to play that working hard means more food rumor. Throughout history people have routinely eaten far, far less than average people today. You've been conditioned, and continuing to deny it is your justice.

      Delete
    3. I've eaten 4k calories a day and never gained an ounce. I've had an ex who drank about 800 calories a day, about 100 calories a day in food, for years, and never died. I know one thing for certain. Science doesn't know Jack Crap about our bodies and calories. We are all just WAGing.

      Delete
    4. I was just adding to our pool of knowledge. 2,200 calories was what the PHD holding food scientist bodybuilder said Americans averaged in the past and the modern average (I'm going off memory here but it was only the other day... i'm still listening to it) is currently 2,700 calories.

      It's an interesting podcast Joe Rogan Experience #1176 - Dom D'Agostino & Layne Norton (ha I didn't know what they looked like I listened to the podcast in my car during my commute don't hate me for having a car lord bison i'd rather not have one but you know) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u93oh9kC-rU

      Anyway - I'm off to buy some more wheat berries and secure more storage for said berries

      Delete
    5. just a fyi mr.sniper but I was army ,navy, marines , which is on no consequence . But when I did construction work I was really pushing ing 4500 to 6500 calories a day . For what its worth /it was all I could do to maintain bodywheight . I got real strong in this process and constant body stress made me way strong
      but couldn't have done it without 6000 calorie days . just a thought

      Delete
    6. Dingo-I forgive you the auto erotica. If everyone was a perfect minion I would not shine by comparison :)

      Delete
  6. Different Thought Bubble = New Comment

    The recent bomb hoax (how inept was that? I'm not saying I could do any better but sheesh. Literally nobody believed it beyond the first 1/2 hour). So yeah, the recent bomb hoax for me indicates increased craziness. I was in a panic when evil Hillary looked like getting in. I honestly believe we'd be in a nuclear war if she was POTUS (look at the loons. They want a war with someone anyone. North Korea, Russia, China, Syria, Iran, Russia)

    So I'm off to buy more wheat berries this weekend and then it's to re-evaluate my preps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try living next to these wack-a-doodles ( or are you? ). Beyond Bat Crap Crazy. Either most are on meds, or need to be. Can't go wrong prepping more at this point.

      Delete
  7. The amcoms did it.
    amcom = american communists
    The same people that paint "trump hates ni----s" on negro churches.
    They've kicked it up a notch.
    Lock n load gentlemen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure the CIA didn't do it? Looks about their level of incompetence.

      Delete
  8. Here's the first place I ever ran into Olduvai Theory. Believe it or not, at one point my job was to research disasters (on a corporate level). I bet the IT guys and the FBI loved my search history.

    http://dieoff.org/page125.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my source, but I'm not sure who directed me to it. I had forgotten all about it.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED