Tuesday, October 30, 2018

BOBBI 2


BOBBI 2
Most folks concentrate on what to store in a BOB.  As in, you are going to live out of your bag.  And what you keep in your BOBBI bag is important, but it isn’t inclusive.  You need your cache.  And by necessity, it is going to be a minimalist cache.  As I said, old dudes digging major caches in the wilderness probably isn’t very realistic.  From my experience, three 5 gallon buckets is probably the maximum you want to shoot for, being able to quickly dig a hole that won’t explode your heart and leave your corpse to rot and/or become coyote bait.
*
So, I’ll shoot for that storage space for a cache.  The home cache?  I’d try for an IBC 330 gallon container ( the pallet size in a cage ), buried and covered with a concrete slab.  The concrete can be QuikCrete or similar, it doesn’t have to break the bank.  And neither does the tote, if you are near enough to a city that sells them new and reconditioned.  Digging the hole mechanically might cost more than the container and shoring.  Of course, you might have such a wet climate then there would be the cost of a cement hole.
*
Here I’m thinking that you want a spot in the wild that while it won’t be completely deserted, it also won’t be a natural spot to flee to in a disaster.  It won’t be a spot the dregs of society go to pitch their tents and tarps ( and there will be a crap ton of new dregs as mass unemployment and crime surges ).  You won’t be able to avoid everyone, but you are buying time trying to avoid all those people you would have to deal with back at the house.
*
Bugging in, the potential of mobs is ever present.  I don’t necessarily believe that everyone knows about your closet full of freeze dried beef rectums, but just being White, with the proof you used to have a job in the form of your house, might incite the ire of the Unworthy.  Mobs are usually by definition the Have Not’s that want stuff, your stuff.  I don’t look at it as lazy welfare pukes stealing, rather it is more like class warfare.  You know, like us former middle class want to do to the 1%.  And we will be just as deadly in our hate as the lower classes.
*
I see an economic implosion that seizes up all trade and transportation.  We will go from crime to deadly mobs to anarchy in a few short quick steps ( especially as I’m sure the Chinese will activate all their Kill Switch’s on every computer chip made for the last twenty years, bringing in a US wide EMP-like effect as soon as the panic and discontent get moving ).  I could be wrong, but I’d wager I’d rather contend with the odd guy bugging out to live on bear and badgers than the suburb mobs.
*
In the wilderness you have mobility and concealment, both which are lacking in town.  It is far from ideal, and yes, I’d also feel more comfortable sleeping within walls, even if only sheetrock and stick lumber, than being exposed in the forest.  But I think for most folks not in the way of refugee drift, or at a desirable camp site, the trade-off will be worth it.  Just think what a squad size group can do to your house, with a trio of rimfire rifles.  Four separate groups pin you down and breach your walls.
*
Yes, they don’t really know if you have supplies. True.  But after a few days of casualties, they could easily evolve a simple tactic.  Sharpshooters cover the windows, and a team with picks or axes on each side of the house simultaneously breach and Molotov.  While you put one out, the other one draws the air in from the doused side and soon the interior is afire. All your stocks of semi-auto carbine rounds go up in the fire, as you didn’t have time to kill off the whole mob.  Sure it wouldn’t be better to be elsewhere?
*
The mobs will mob because they can.  No other reason.  If a minority group wants to take over a location ( never mind it will lose it to starvation quickly thereafter.  Income redistribution mobs aren’t always the sharpest pencils in the box ), they do so by securing supplies quickly, helping to starve the majority out, and intimidating the living with barbaric acts.  You could be one of the initial victims, so they don’t stop trying to kill you, period.  It isn’t about supplies per se.  Those are just bonuses.  The mobs will be ignorant drop-out unemployed losers, with uncommon street smarts.
*
So perhaps being gone for a month wouldn’t be the worst idea.  Your house might be burned to the ground when you get back.  That is why you home cache and avoid the easy to dig up areas.  Have a plan of some kind of re-build or substitute shelter.  I pick a month because there won’t be that much food around to keep most of the population alive by then, plus one months of wheat calories fit into a single five gallon plastic bucket.  A second bucket will contain the supplemental denser calories such as butter, peanut butter, cooking oil, jerky or what have you. 
*
Add some compact wool clothing such as socks and hats.  Changes of underwear and cotton socks.  The third bucket is the grinder, ammunition, or supplies of that nature.  Perhaps a hatchet and small saw for building a primitive shelter.  It just needs to be coffin size.  Perhaps you build a couple of shelters beforehand, then finish them up being more secure and more stealthy.  This is an emergency stash.  Not a luxury stash.  Not an everything and the kitchen sink stash.  BOB the big but light items there, such as tent and ground pad. 
*
Primitive camping for a month, and hopefully you avoid a great deal of unpleasantness.  It won’t be secure and boring.  You’ll need to patrol, booby trap, secure secondary fall back positions.  You’ll be sleeping poorly, listening for approaching walkers.  But if you were in town, you’d be trying to sleep through the neighbor being tortured, and wondering when it was going to be your turn.  The civil war coming might not be you having time to valiantly armoring up and going to fight for liberty.  It just might be the swarming attacks of mobs with no outside assistance for you. 
( .Y. )
( today's related link https://amzn.to/2q9R3b6 )
*
note: free books.  Space zombie invasion, I think https://amzn.to/2yGDdBE .  Grrlz Power meets Fahrenheit 451 https://amzn.to/2QbAsz2 .  Zombies https://amzn.to/2JpMKkA .  YA PA https://amzn.to/2qknKCC .  
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page ( or from www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book. If you don't do Kindle books, send me the money and I'll e-mail it to you in a PDF file. If you want them on a CD-ROM, go here for the info http://bisonprepper.com/3.html .  If you donated, you may request books no charge.  
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there




29 comments:

  1. Remote cache in an area that is a fair distance away from human emplacement stations and travel routes. Long walk (on foot-not vehicle accessable) away from any road type, beaten down foot trails, camp and fishing spots, etc. Curious granola eating yuppie families or partying kids looking to squat a poop may discover it. Minions want it to be in an obscured location during emplacing and stashing as well as digging out later. Locate in area with minimal natural hazard risks. Floods, wash outs, forest or brush fire burn over, deep snow drifting packing it over, etc. Oil and wrap up yard sale thrift aquired pioneer tools (hammer,axe,sledge,shovel, etc) as well. May be walking in with only shirt on your back trying to restart your life at b.o.l. have in place a good kit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a residence (owner dwelling yours, not a rental) is to be evacuated for a undetermined duration, some pre planed steps can be taken. If you have a proper working sentry type dog, a feeding and watering system can be set up and they will continue their job in your absence instinctively as a deterance. Not fool proof but a stop gap measure. Boarding and securing will help. Post up some form of quarantine (health dept or coroner office official looking) health hazard signs on doors or windows (bilingually and pictograms) most idiots will be somewhat fearful or cautious of biological or disease threats and hazards. Mostly the neighbors in vicinity of you will be the looters not apartment or trailer monkeys from afar away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, after the feeding system breaks and the dog dies, the disease threat will be real :)

      Delete
    2. Dogs are family members and I have absolutely no use for anyone who feels otherwise. If we ever got into a situation like the one you describe and I encountered someone who left their dog behind to die like that I would happily tie them to a tree in a remote location and leave them to suffer the same fate. If you're going to plan for a bugout you need to plan for your pooch(es) as well.

      Delete
    3. My reply was made in jest, and I believe the original idea was just a spitball. No harm was implied, I'm sure. As for your "family members", a lot are going to go feral and rabid, and I think you might change your mind how much you love them. Just saying.

      Delete
    4. So then you'll have to also care and deal with a dog in adverse situations, acting squirrely, barking away your location, running away or after rabbits, then the kids, fat wife, and militia friends as well compounding the stress load. Yeah good plan. This won't be staying in a hurricane shelter at a local school with your family member there staying in a kennel crate. Oh yeah, it is an animal, like the domesticated ones that we eat for dinner, this is that kinda thinking now that will be an undoing in a SURVIVAL, STAYING ALIVE situation. Flush out the helmets.

      Delete
    5. It may have been in jest but it still struck a nerve, sorry for the reflexive response. I already have made plans for my two pooches for the long term. I have more prep items for them that I have for any other people who may show up, including potential tribe members. I care about people as well as dogs but I'm fully aware that some dogs will go feral, just like some people. My solution will be the same in each case - not because I want to but because I have to. And, no, I don't believe I'll be changing my mind about them - my dogs ARE my family. Two ex-wives who took everything they wanted and finally took their leave help me come to that conclusion.

      Delete
    6. No need to apologize. We all have our hot buttons. Go ahead, tell me you are buying a FLIR scope :) Believe me, I understand the appeal of pets over people. The NOL was telling her dog-hers, not mine-this morning that I loved the dog more than her. I told her it was because the dog didn't get lippy. She takes pride in her sarcastic smart ass-ery, so that didn't bother her. I do love that little furball though. And the Old Lady is okay too.

      Delete
    7. 10:54-dogs have been helping people survive a very long time. I hear your valid concerns but I think you might be looking at it too one sided. Not that I would ever do that! :)

      Delete
    8. Thanks for understanding, LB, I appreciate it! Glad to hear that you and the NOL have such a good relationship - after all you've endured with your previous "partners" you were WAY overdue for a good one :-)

      @ 10:59 - You bring up very valid points. I understand your reasoning but I believe it comes with some assumptions that don't apply in my case. The actions you list are certainly typical of untrained, undisciplined dogs, and present a genuine threat to survival. My dogs are well trained and don't exhibit those sorts of behaviors so that risk is small and acceptable. Additionally, the same sort of threats you note would apply to the spouse who sells you out to a stronger leader, militia team members with poor training and discipline, kids who can't keep their mouth about your stores and caches, and so on. I don't have a wife, kids, or militia team members in the picture so the additional stresses you mention will be absent as well.
      Each of us has to make our own choices regarding the risk/reward profile of our particular situation. In mine, taking care of my pooches represents the best I believe I can do with the hand I've been dealt.

      Delete
    9. I'll be with this one until the sweet release of death. I wouldn't be living in town with any lesser gal. What I've been looking for my whole life.

      Delete
    10. Jim is right about the feral thing after collapse. Hell, right now, people abandon pets left and right. There will be no shortage of animals running loose after.

      My own mutt, had her 4 years now, was acquired from a shelter. Somebody was irresponsible several times in a row and she's mine because of it. She will never be abandoned by me. She is part of my overall plan. I just wrote about her usefulness over at American Digest an hour ago. She is the leading edge of the security and defense system here at the "Ghost Estancia" and very valuable.

      Delete
  3. For a guy that couldn't keep his shit from being jacked before any SHTF you sure do talk some smack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you are right. I should have spent $10k on security measures to guard the items worth half that.

      Delete
  4. “Perhaps a hatchet and small saw for building a primitive shelter.  It just needs to be coffin size.  Perhaps you build a couple of shelters beforehand, then finish them up being more secure and more stealthy.”


    That sounds like a good plan. Sometimes I feel that the primitive shelter is the most you’d ever want post-collapse, since you will never really know how long you will be able to occupy a certain spot, at least until societal stability makes a come back, which could be decades, if not centuries. In this scenario, you will have to rely heavily on the cache system for resupply, and to be able to hang onto your goods.

    I received in the form of a suggestion from Amazon, the book below. It looked pretty good, so I got it. So far I’ve only thumbed through it, but it looks pretty good. It’s amazing how cozy some of those primitive shelters look to be. I’ll let you know how it is after I read through it.

    The Complete Survival Shelters Handbook: A Step-by-Step Guide to Building Life-saving Structures for Every Climate and Wilderness Situation.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1612434932/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Primitive is free, and easily replaced after natural disasters. So, they have their pluses.

      Delete
    2. The other advantage of primitive is that it blends in well with the natural surroundings. You could probably construct a wickiup on your desert parcel in a way that it would be practically invisible until you got right up to it.

      Delete
    3. I kind of lost site of the camo, good call.

      Delete
  5. Minions should try some of that just add water to concrete mix type used for fence or mailbox posts. Bury the cache well (residence or b.o.l.) spread tarp out smooth and flat like. Put two or three bags of that quickcrete on in a layer. Add water and once hardened up, top cover over. A digging coyote or some such will give up at hitting that cement lid over it all. Just thinking out loud, some options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also thinking on that QuikCrete. However, using it at the BOL, any person digging and hitting concrete knows something valuable is there.

      Delete
  6. Just couldn't get my head around this one. The part that trips me up is, finding a safe place for my stuff, but not for me. I cannot for the life of me, especially for people the read this blog, understand how anyone can live in a place where they MAY have to abandon it?

    This is my Alamo right here. I am not leaving. I am far enough away from the herds that I believe they will be whittled down quite a bit before they get here. That was the whole reason I cached my whole ass and all my stuff here. The idea of a bunch of my stuff here, where it's safe, and me over there, where it's not safe, just doesn't compute. No amount of income/convenience is worth my life.

    BTW, plastic buckets break down pretty quick when in direct contact with soil and moles go though them like a ho goes through condoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole concept was for people who had no other choice but to embrace this strategy because they CAN'T get far enough away. Thanks for the bucket comment. Too often I forget I'm in the desert with dry hard soil, and most other people are not as fortunate. "Ho through condoms". Salt through a goose. Teenager through acne cream. Coyote through a chicken coop. Hillary through assassins.

      Delete
    2. "....because they CAN'T get far enough away...."

      Trying to figure out what that means.
      If it means they don't have the financial horsepower to move to a very rural location, I can understand that, but then, how do they have the funding to move their stuff there? If there's room there for their stuff then there's room there for there.

      Or, perhaps you mean that they CHOOSE to stay in a potentially dangerous location for that green collar of disillusion, you know, legal tenders? Funny how people have been programmed to believe it's a worthy cause dying for their stuff. Everything, but life, is replaceable.

      We didn't have moles in FL but we sure have em here. Just put out a load of worms last week to try to get a handle on it. Small rubbery yellow cords that are dropped down in the mole hole and they find them tasty, then they die. Our whole front yard feels sort of mushy cause of all the tunnels just below the surface. When I was 10 in PA I caught a mole at cub scout camp and got bit by it and had to have 14 rabies shots in the belly. Wasn't fun and my dad pulled me out of cub scouts. That was back about 1963, when people actually had a family doctor and he did almost everything, and people paid him in cash or check right on the spot. Insurance? For 5 kids? It was unheard of then. I have no idea what those rabies shots cost but I bet now it would be over $1000 and there would be plenty of people involved. Now ya got my blood pressure all riled up.....

      Delete
    3. Well, everyone has those bad moments in life financially, right? The relative on the death bed, the unemployment just ran out. Sometimes you get stuck in place longer than you know is good for you. When you are stuck like that, you bury that cache in the back yard, and then have a one month cache in the boonies. That is the only You Or Stuff moving you've done. There is no moving stuff anywhere past the back yard, other than that 30 days of supplies.

      Delete
    4. "I cannot for the life of me, especially for people the read this blog, understand how anyone can live in a place where they MAY have to abandon it".

      Ghostsniper, that is the unfortunate part of Life. EVERYTHING you love, learn about and go through incredible trials to find and purchase eventually is abandoned at some point in life. Detris to be sold or given away by your descendants or the person in charge of your affairs.

      Dad left behind a really good collection of Classical 78 LPs. the really old stuff on red vinyl. My brother and I know very little and really don't appreciate that type of music. What a huge waste ! Dad collected books on classical art - again, my brother and I know jack and squat about it.

      Just a fact of Life - it all goes away eventually. Use it while you have it.

      Delete
  7. Build an A-frame sleep platform (think child's swing set frame), tongue and groove sides and you have a covered place to crash. Like an elevated pup tent. If your back can't take that, scrounge up a junked mattress bed spring set and insert on slatted floor. A PVC pipe along inside of roof to provide foods storage. Tough sleep cover - moving blankets, they are sold pretty inexpensively at Harbor Freight, especially when on sale. You can sew up the edges at feet and halfway up sides for a half ass sleeping bag. When rolled up tightly, can be inserted into a 8" PVC pipe sleeve. I'd store in heavy plastic sleeve or tarp.

    Tools - shovel or fixed E-tool (jointed is more compact but provides a failure point eventually), an axe and/or long handled hatchet (Estwing all steel are da bomb dog !) and a froe for splitting wood. Stainless pot or pot(S) (stashed for just in case one develops legs and walks off). A few water bags and buckets too would nice to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion on the Estwing. I knew that there was a brand out there with an all steel handle. $40 for the full size campers ax at Amazon; not bad.

      Sometimes I just feel like saying the hell with it, and packing as much stuff in a backpack, that I think that I’ll need to get me through the rest of my days, and heading into the woods, never to turn back. The political ads by Gavin Newsom (Commiefornia) promising how he will provide everyone but my own demographic, with a better quality of life, particularly disgust me, and stir these thoughts. Gotta wonder what kind of straight white dude’s are voting for bastards like this?

      Delete
    2. The vote says what they want it to say. Hanging chads?

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED