Monday, August 6, 2018

liquidation 2 of 2


LIQUIDATION 2
*
note: SE, thanks for the very generous donation.  I thought my PayPal account was deactivated, but it worked just fine ( on the initiative of the said minion ) .  I had no idea.  I guess I could offer it as a donation venue again.  Let me ponder on this.  I still hate supporting companies that make money off me and then make me jump through hoops and beg for the privilege.  
*
If you have decided that the near-enough future value of your home is close to zero without a functioning grid powering it, and if it is your view that a motor vehicle is going to be a damn skippy piss poor investment without access to overseas oil, then you need not throw good money after bad keeping those old school investments.  Liquidate them.  Right now, before the economy gets worse and you can’t sell them for love or money after the supply glut hits.
*
Already, you should see that the future of employment looks grim.  If you are past a certain age you are as good as un-employable except as a Wal-Mart greeter ( and honestly, is Wally’s turn right after K-Mart?  It is official, our local K-Mart IS actually closing this time.  Five days before it closes the doors, there is a crowd.  Not enough that you have to share any isle, though.  Not one shelve is bare and prices after the discount are still more than Wal-Mart.  And they are hiring temp workers.  One imagines to crate up everything and send it to another surviving store, because nothing is going to sell.  I got a DVD copy of Zombieland for $4, the sum of all positive experiences at the store for a decade ).
*
The future of homes and cars are equally grim.  If you are of the doomer persuasion ( and not all of you are.  Some merely visit here to wallow in the glory of my hair and my deity like skills as a wordsmith.  You are still welcome here-no one is required to agree with me on much of anything.  Once you get too many Yes-Men surrounding you, you lose your edge.  No thank you! ), you know that is pays to jump out of the driverless car as it slows going up hill.  You will still sustain injuries, but that is the price of early departure.  The price for not acting is a short flight through the windshield. 
*
If you really want to escape, the price for most of us of moderate means is to hit the liquidation button.  If you keep making excuses, then you are not ready.  You didn’t really make up your mind.  You might like the idea of freedom, but you don’t like the price.  It is like staying with the wife that hates you.  You get lucky once a month and she has a nice rack you can’t touch.  Oh, screw it, you proclaim, better than being alone and paying her half my paycheck.  That is just rationalization.  Making excuses.  Because right now, you have 0% of your paycheck, and living with your enemy is worse than being alone.  You are just too much of a pussy to pay the price for change.
*
Which is fine, if that is what ultimately makes you happy.  Some of us are happier with the devil we know.  But for the rest of us?  That house and that car are a litmus test for how much you’ll pay for your freedom and safety.  Look, this is me trying to NOT sugarcoat it.  Are you fat and weak?  Start shuffling down the sidewalk.  You’ll eventually run.  It just takes discipline.  The same with escaping if you want to be a true survivalist.  It just takes the discipline to say “no more keeping the poor investments I already made”.  Whatever you already paid?  It doesn’t exist.  It is gone.  My $6k piece of junk land?  Do you know how much it REALLY cost me?  About $32k
*
I walked away from a mobile home already half paid for, and bought a vehicle to move across the country ( not to haul a years worth of wheat and two guns, but for the sake of the cats-mamma was THAT attached to them and I was still living with a willing bed warmer at that time.  So what did I care? ) and paid rent to be in walking distance of a job I thought I needed to save up to buy my own land.  Along the way I incurred a lot of expenses to eventually buy my “cheap” land.  But I never thought about that figure until just now.  The cost of failed investments wasn’t my concern.  I did whatever I needed to do to bail on the rat race.  Past investment loses did NOT matter.
*
You of course can do much better, learning from my mistakes.  As covered many times, a few thousand is all you need to set up your Hobbit Hovel Headquarters.  And the process of liquidation itself is not difficult.  Heck, you could live out of your car after the house is gone, then drive that to your new land and then sell the car after you One Day Built your ferrocement dome.  Is not having a job what is holding you back?  Perfectly understandable.  I can’t really give good advice on that, as I moved here without one just months prior to the economic meltdown of ‘08.  As it turned out it took me longer than any other time in my life to land a job, but I had moved in a job plentiful climate and the expectations thereof.
*
I’ve moved plenty of times with no idea of the where I was going or what I was going to do once I got there.  But back then, I was also footloose and fancy free, a stuffed duffle bag all I had to my name and very little cash in my pocket.  You could do that back then.  Even the worst places economically had at least one or two jobs you could do, even if you preferred not to.  It is a lot harder now.  EXCEPT!  If you don’t have to pay rent, or make credit card payments or auto insurance payments, while scary as Hell, not having a job does carry a lot less negative consequences. 
*
So, it might be a bit more angst ridden, rolling the dice on ever being gainfully employed again, but if you have the choice on staying, in debt, with a job that will eventually expire, or just embracing unemployment now on your terms, which would you choose?  And no, I don’t mean to sarcastically imply there is only the one obvious choice.  The Devil You Know isn’t always the wrong choice, unless you truly are ready to change.  Don’t embrace the Suck now, just because someone tells you it is the best gamble.  It was for me.  But your results aren’t guaranteed.  Manly Men of Alpha Type sensibilities will give you rigid advice born of conviction.  That conviction pretends to be wisdom, prettied up for eager consumption.  But ultimately, you need to follow YOUR own advice. 
( .Y. ) 
( today's related link https://amzn.to/2v7eCUA 
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page ( or from www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ).

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book. If you don't do Kindle books, send me the money and I'll e-mail it to you in a PDF file.  If you donated, you may request books no charge.   My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184
*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

19 comments:

  1. Good topic breakdown Jim. The big take away from this thought line is this. A minion may have been a corporate titan, alpha go getter business owner, professional person. That rug can get pulled out from anyone at any time and a misfortunate fall can be a hard landing. The key is a somewhat controlled or planned landing, or recovery thereafter. The easy living of steady income, comfortable accomodations, endless entertainment is not a forever certainty like air and sunshine. Being of a minion character living austere, improvising on the fly, deft at adversities, will make any action plan of liquidation, evacuation, reencampment, seem to be a school boy's field trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And NOT a Papist school field trip where you have to worry about what transpires in the park restroom. Okay, I'm kidding! It is too easy with the recent idiots wearing the big pointy hat embracing Gore Warming. They deserve to be mocked. Catholic school was a far better experience for me than public, and actually imparted learning. Still, the Papist Empire is as sad and pathetic as the also-ran British Empire. No pride or conviction left. Sorry, Limey dudes. Not saying the Yankee Empire will do any better when our turn comes.

      Delete
  2. I heard that the Argentinian dude wrote a sequel to his first book about surviving the collapse that they had over there back in 2001. The new book is titled: Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying Put is not an Option. It sounds interesting, but I’ve never read anything from this dude, so I’m wondering if it’s worth the price of $18 (no kindle option). Apparently this dude moved to Ireland. I can think of a lot of places to move, but moving to an area of the world that isn’t exactly known for its overall freedoms, wouldn’t be a first choice for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skimmed the available sections in the "look inside" feature, and the book looks lame. A pathetic attempt at duplicating "Strategic Relocation", which was a terrible book itself.

      Delete
    2. I borrowed a copy of Strategic Relocation and found the mapping to be informative, but nothing I couldn't get for free from USGS. It was collected info with rain maps overlayed with fallout/population/altitude and some others. My favorite maps were not included (all-time railroad rights-of-way, especially tunnels). Skousen wants everyone to be prepared for nuclear war sheltering and will gladly contract with you to build your bunker.

      Delete
    3. “I skimmed the available sections in the "look inside" feature”


      Thanks. Now why didn’t I think of that :D

      I was always a little skeptical when I heard about the bad guys roaming the countryside and raiding and torturing the rurals to disclose the location to their goods. I just don’t see raiders roaming around out in the middle of no where in such a scenario, burning up precious fuel, in hopes that they might come across something, unless of course they already no where some good stuff is located.

      Then again, I’m in the western US, and I’ve noticed that my definition of rural is much different than that of those in the eastern US, or many other countries. Remote land here can be several miles from power lines, or a main road.

      Delete
  3. Gotta keep multiple irons in the fire so that if a couple go down you still have a few to carry you over. The idea of depending on 1 employer is beyond my grasp any more. Cut costs to the bone so that if income is reduced the pain is negligible. Money is everywhere but you have to find it and grab it. Yes, all the money is owned by people, despicable people and I can't stand to be around there. But I have to have the money, no 2 ways about it. So I sharpened my knife, trimmed the fat, and learned how to do what needs done with as little as possible - contact with people that is.

    Finished up that pole barn project that put $1000 cash in my pocket Sat, and now I'm negotiating with the owner to work on the inside for another thousand, maybe 2 thousand. All cash. Off the books. Been hard work, out in the blazing sun, for 10 days in a row. Heavy, muddy boots all day long, splinters, superficial hand cuts, and every muscle feels tortured. But that ass pocket sticks way out there right now and that makes it all worthwhile. How many weeks would I have to greet assholes at Walmart for $1000 cash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that include the cash value of your Section 8 and Food Stamps, working the Wal-Mart greeter job? Only one week! :)

      Delete
    2. Section 8 housing (living near Other Colors baby-mamas and the current BF just out of the joint) and EBT (financial tracker that allows for .social service bureaucrat inspection of you and all-your-stuff) is actually a negative financial value. Only the cash is useful.

      Delete
    3. Hunnert bux a day for work in the hot sun? Uhh, unless there is some other consideration, like it's a special favor for the hot 26 year old daughter of neighbor, I'm going to need about twice that amount.

      Delete
    4. The job was about 1.5 miles from my house, there was no boss. And that $1000 was cash. Run the numbers backwards and compare it to a job and you'll see where the logic is. Inflexible people will be the first to go down.
      Need in 1 hand and take what you can get in the other and see which fills first.

      Out here in the country people don't try to get rich off each other cause we're in it for the long haul. The guy with the pole barn used to be my neighbor across the road. His mother lives about 1 mile behind me. His brother did extensive excavation work for my building 12 years ago and charged me very little. I'm going to hire him to do some more excavation next year. If I acted like a dick to any of these people it would get right back on me in a minute. These people are in our own tribe. Oh yeah, the 1/2 bag of homegrown tomatoes I mentioned last week? They came from the pole barn dood and he's taking 12 pigs to slaughter in Sept and I'm gonna stock the freezers on that stuff. Think bigger than yourself, there's a whole nuther world out there. Onward.

      Delete
    5. "neighbor helping neighbor". Used to work well, still does, always will. Most of us are just out of practice.

      Delete
  4. Don't let pride give you a papercut, and start whining like a girly boy. The new paradigm come collapse will change everything, and your way of thinking. If not able to adapt then become toasted. It will make walmart / or any menial piss ant job desirable. The strong back immigrant will get picked by a straw boss for the only available work over any one that displays pretentious tendancies or behavior. Ebt cards to get some food or waiting ones emaciated ass in a food bank line will not permanently damage your dignity in lieu of malnutrition. Minions may think they are prepared better than anyone else and are exempted. May not be the case, too many variables and unknowns. Flush out your helmets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being prepped just gives you a cushion, but the road will still be rough. None of us can truly be fully prepared as none of us have escaped the notion of surplus.

      Delete
    2. My bet is the stair-step deal. Therefore people will be able to adapt as they go along, but it's far better to have the ducks in line before that time of course. If everybody moves to the other side of the sinking ship at the same time you know what will happen....it will sink even faster.

      Delete
    3. Does it look like folks have adapted to the new normal after even just ten years? Fifty years? No. More denial. Makes you wonder how they act in actual collapse.

      Delete
  5. I'll be checking that second link-thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in a dark-green area but have avoided both the high-income (yay.) and the high-expenditure lifestyle. Somehow, I manage to save more than many of my associates who have incomes 7-20x mine. Not that they couldn't save half with a small effort, but they just don't. When I say "savings", I mean cash and pm's in-hand, not corporate accounts or 401K/IRA (of which, several have large balances). The common problem the not-savers have is dissatisfied female companions (who would be equally or even-less dissatisfied if the "lifestyle" were half with a greatly-improved sense of security that 24 months of bills worth of cash on-hand gives). Of course, what man would give up good lifestyle now for the likely result of divorce (or pre-divorce antics) where she takes all of your money for a world tour with the poolboy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to blame it all on the bitches, but I almost wonder if that is just a crutch many use-themselves wishing to be lazy and prideful? Perhaps it is equally divided as motivations, explaining the high success rate of paycheck to paycheck debt bondage even in YuppieScumVille high wage areas.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED