Friday, June 13, 2014

yuppie gurus


YUPPIE GURUS

My first exposure to survivalism was in high school- one of the bibles of the day by Bruce Clayton, “Life After Doomsday”.  Unlike most things in life I was first sold on such as jobs, marriages, the M-16 and which never amounted to more than broken promises and scars upon my soul, at least with books I’m rarely disappointed.  The book holds up well today, even if the entire premise is as flawed as the red bumpy rash on my ass skin ( as did others age well.  I had been introduced to Kurt Saxon-although I’m not including him here in Yuppie Guruness- through The Poor Man’s James Bond and as soon as survivalism blipped on my radar I got his thoughts on the subject.  Interestingly, it wasn’t until the late Eighties that he published the feed store wheat strategy in a supplemental newsletter- the early books previously were focused on 1800’s cottage industry ).  I followed up with Ruff.  He had enough small clues for the poor to prep that even today I still think highly of the man.  He is lumped in here with the other Yuppies mainly because he was so influential and did devote quite a bit of ink to precious metal investing and gave much too high marks to freeze dried and such foods.  Tappan to my mind was never really all that much of a big deal, outside the hero insistence through the overpriced newsletter from Oregon ( I did subscribe for a time-very pricey and now very dated.  Articles on WAYY pre-Windows word processing advice for the deep in the boonies writer ).  Sure, he wrote two books and a bunch of articles.  Sure, in the day I’ll bet he was the cat’s meow.  I don’t think his advice held up as well as the others- but that could be me.

*

And then we come to Rawles.  Who I’m NOT bashing.  The man is not the message.  He is merely number four in the line of Yuppie Guru’s.  He has the same message- boonies bunker, semi-auto arsenal and a bunch of expensive toys.  What made him different is that he seemed to actually live the prescribed life the others only wrote about, and he did so on limited means and way ahead of the rest of the pack blindly following Y2K or ’08 Greater Depression Panickers.  Oh, Tappan was out there- but on a sugar mama’s dime.  Not quite the same thing as working harder than a dog to get there.  Ruff seemed to be mostly suburban.  I’m not sure if Clayton ever got closer than a Sierra Mountains small town.  You have to admire Rawles for living the life.  It doesn’t matter if we agree with the type of survivalism he advocates insofar as admiration.  Which is my whole issue, ALL of their type.  The type where, really, what has honest injun been accomplished?  You’ve moved out of the city.  Very good.  Most likely become self-employed.  Great.  Have a food pantry stocked.  Good.  “Alpha Strategy” consumer items stocked for inflation.  Some Precious metals.  Guns and ammo.  All well and good.  But what have you done other than purchase short term disaster insurance while still firmly living in the modern age with all its vulnerabilities?  Not that what is accomplished ( or, as we are illustrating here, what is being taught ) isn’t a good thing.  It is.  Steps away from vulnerability.  But baby steps.  How many vulnerabilities still remain?  Being Yuppies, there is still the problem of preaching and living well and a bit high on the hog.  Which makes you vulnerable.  Perhaps more on this later ( I haven’t made up my mind ).

END
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*
All My Contact Info, Books For Sale, Links:
 

11 comments:

  1. Why do you always bring up Rawls ?
    Get some meds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have some? I mean, besides crack

      Delete
    2. He shoots. He scores. Thee of great hair will not tolerate sarcasm. Well, he will, but only if its true sarcasm or wit. Not childish name calling.

      Delete
  2. They may be YUPPIE GURUS but sure enough they got plenty of money.

    May be it's time for you to learn something about survival.

    Anony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How does plenty of money help in a hyper-inflation?

      Delete
  3. You (and I) are Gen-Xer's. "They" are Baby Boomers. The disconnect cannot be rectified. Stay with your gut, Jim.

    BTW, love the new blog. Has a great vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rawles is living in some yuppie dream world.Can't write his own stuff,always a contest(10k word min),and always some off the wall crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is 1500 word min. I believe. Never wrote his own stuff after the blog was established. Other blogs emulate him. Nothing new.

      Delete
  5. Good point about what have you DONE vs what have you BOUGHT. there is a lot you can buy (for now) but there is a lot you can DO that would allow more to be bought and to be living more like you are going to have to anyways.
    The luxuries that one doesn't even notice are the very ones you have to identify and address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a good idea to learn early while you have the ability to change things.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED