Saturday, April 25, 2020

zombie apoc weapons book 5


ZOMBIE APOC WEAPONS BOOK 5
Chapter One ( Rifle ) continued, again
A lot of folks are very reluctant to pay high dollar for a used rifle. A used rifle they are betting their life on. But just let me ask you this. Are you issued a new weapon in the military? Now, let me ask you this. Do you trust American gun manufactures, today? And one last one-what is going to be the LEAST likely gun to be bought, at a gun store, while all the panic buying is going on? Get where I'm going with this?
*
A used gun might just be far less undesirable than you thought. I understand loving the idea of NEW. My first gun was a new Springfield Armory 1911A1. I believe in about 1989. Within a box or two of ammo-under powered ammo as I bought reloads from a shade tree ammo dealer-the front sight fell off. I've been constantly underwhelmed by the company since. But companies today are far worse than thirty years ago. They have been flirting with bankruptcy since 2008, and cutting corners like Big Dogs to stay price competitive. I trust them on quality as far as I can throw them.
*
As to the complaint of “not common caliber”, I scoff at your child-like naivety and spit in your general direction, after wishing the fleas of a thousand camels to infest your pubic hairs. In good times, common calibers are great for stocking cheap and deep. In bad times-which, really? Seriously? I have to remind you that we have been in Bad Times a very long time indeed? In bad times, ammo and gun shortages have become the norm. Ammo makers are equipped and provisioned for Normal Sales. They don't have capacity or contracts for excess commodities to ramp up production.
*
In ammo scarcity times, common calibers are out of stock far more often than your Seventy Year Old Obsolete calibers. I was still buying surplus Mosin ammo during the last drought, where no factory ammo or reloading components could be had ( I can salvage 7.62x54R components for my Enfield ), cheaper than could be had if the supplies had been available. The first few weeks of the current drought ( not as bad as the last one, due to mass unemployment, most likely ), you couldn't buy 223 less than 308 prices, and my new manufacture 303 British had not gone up in price at all, or run out. Want to bet on 9mm verses 38 Special? Following the crowd works, until it doesn't.
*
And now, drum roll, MORE crapping on my long time readers as I repeat, once again, the arguments AGAINST semi-auto. Are you forgetting we are in the Zombie Apocalypse? You are on foot. Weight matters. The solution is NOT to go from full thirty caliber battle rifles to carbine. The solution is to not fire so damn much ammo, meaning you need to carry less of it. And before I hear a chorus of “Just Shoot Slow”, you are an uneducated crowd follower. People, under stress, do NOT have control over their Flight Or Fight adrenaline. No, Spanky, you cannot control the chemicals your brain produces.
*
Are you crapping serious? You think you can? You had no experience with puberty? Perhaps you didn't lose control of your sexual desires, club a female over her head and drag her into the cave for some sweet rapey love, but you sure as heck ran home and jerked off, didn't you? No judgment. If I had a nickel for every time... But my point is you cannot maintain fire discipline without a LOT of training, when the stress starts flying along with the bullets. Actual by gum reports of police shooting incidents show this beyond a shadow of a doubt.
*
You WILL, I guar-an-Gott-damn-tee you a jelly filled donut, start spraying and praying under stress. To me, that means I stick with bolt action rifles and stay AWAY from semi's. The other choice is to go walking through the Hood at midnight and getting some combat experience. Pop Quiz, Hot Shot, how many ammunition factories will remain open after the apocalypse? Semi-auto has its own set of tactics NOT because they were smarter and less dangerous, but because you then had the factory and energy surplus to supply those tactics. No matter HOW you want to fight a war, you need the ability to do so first.
*
The safest way to wage war would be to nuke everyone from orbit, to be sure. When you cannot do that, you must accept a more dangerous method of combat. “Covering Me” and “Suppressive Fire!” are great ways to fight. If you can. But without unlimited ammunition, you cannot. And STRESS caused ammunition wastage means you run out of ammunition. Quickly. And yet, I'll bet you even now you are sputtering and arguing and denying. But, JIM! What if I NEED to shoot high volume against marauders, wolf packs and zombie hoards! You don't understand- I NEED semi-auto.
*
Yeah, Mother Humper, I NEED good health, a harem and a gold paved concrete bunker atop a mountain, if I am to survive. It is a NEED. I NEED it! I WANT it! I must have whatever my princess self desires! HUMP your Gott Damn NEED! Reality does not give two wet and runny craps what you need or what you want. What can you HAVE? You can HAVE limited ammunition. That is what you can have. That is Option A, B, and Z. If you don't like it, buy a $99 single shot shotgun and a box of ammo. Come time to survive out in the real world, eat a round. No need to face reality.
*
Yankee Marshal-remember that guy, the one that started this whole discussion?-chose a Ruger 10/22 as his rifle of choice. That solved the weight of ammunition problem, still allowing him his coveted semi-auto. For zombies, this is great. The lower noise level is a bonus, as is the lower weight of the weapon itself. Why didn't I choose this as well ( as I only am worth a crap with a rimfire on accuracy, I should have picked this weapon for ALL apocalypses, not just the zombie one, BUT...)? Because a rimfire is not what I want when fighting enemy humans during the Zombie Apocalypse. To my mind, a 22 is only viable as a sniper ambush weapon. Against humans, anyway.
*
Who are your enemies going to be, among humans? Idiots packing AR's and AK's, with three hundred round battle loads ( I suppose we are assuming they have a base to return to, whereas you are mobile. But even mobile survivors are going to be equipped like this, because Tactical Tommy Beard Boy Operator!, limping and bowing under the weight of as much ammo as they can carry as well as pulling some behind them in a Radio Flyer red wagon ). I would only chance a one round rimfire ambush, if that, before fleeing quickly. A 22 isn't a poor choice, it just doesn't fill me with confidence.
( .Y. )
( today's related Amazon link click HERE )
*
note: G.B.,  received your snail mail.  Funny card, most extra generous donation-many thanks.
*
note: S.R., many thanks for the absurdly generous PayPal donation.
*
note: free for today books.  PA in Oz, "a touch of I Am Legend with a dash of Mad Max" HERE 
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon links here ( or from http://bisonprepper.com/2.html or www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods ( I get 4% of the Amazon sale, so you need to buy $25 worth for me to get my $1 ) or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book ( web site for free books, Amazon to pay just as a donation vehicle ).
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free. I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand **  Lord Bison** my bio & biblio***my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page***Screw the NRA, join the GOA HERE
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

34 comments:

  1. I've got two 10/22s, and another couple types of that caliber to. Those are for the volume fire inexperienced ones without weapons are to use.
    Of course for myself I also have 30 Cal weapons. Just to insure any need to s&p I've got the mini 14.
    One advantage of being old is you can accumulate alot of weapons over the years , especially if ya don't ever sell any of em ya bought lol.
    Trick is to also have plenty of feed stock for them. That's not difficult either...over a lifetime. No need to kill a bunch of paper either tends to build the pile.
    Just like saving money, all it takes is never spending all of it. Once it goes into the savings side it don't get used except for as designated for originally.

    In my mind it ain't no sin to have a selection of many calibers and types. Just make sure you got plenty of ammo for each.
    After food of course...always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what we accumulated over a lifetime. Heck, I was down to almost nothing ( comparatively ) in 2006 and between then and now, on minimum wage, I can't believe the amount of crap now stockpiled.

      Delete
  2. People who are convinced they need semi auto to fight groups of zombies should read up on people like Samual H Walker, Texas ranger. He and 14 others beat 80 comanche using single action revolvers. That is not an isolated incident either.

    Or Frank Hammer. From an interview:
    Frank said that he used his sights in a gunfight, because he could not see spraying the countryside with lead when one shot would do the trick.

    Shot placement- nuff said

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what someone will say: "But, the Comanche's didn't have AK's then. Now our enemies do". You can't win with Semi Simians.

      Delete
  3. “In ammo scarcity times, common calibers are out of stock far more often than your Seventy Year Old Obsolete calibers.”


    Yeah, but I still wouldn’t use that as an argument to justify avoiding common calibers. Say you’re walking out in the field. What are you the most likely to find? For a rifle, you will come across .30.30, .30.06, perhaps .308, or .243, for sure, .22lr. For a pistol, again, .22lr .38 special, for sure 9mm. For a shotgun, 12ga for certain, perhaps 20ga. What you won’t come across is something like 28ga, 16ga, 9mm shotshells (Yes, it was a thing). Say you find an abandoned cabin. Statistically, what will you likely find on the shelves? Yep. 12Ga and .22lr, same as any small town hardware store that carries limited ammo.

    The one concern about shotshells, is that they can deteriorate from UV. You must give the loaded shells, the squeeze stress test, Mad Max style, before heading out to take on PA, macho faggot bikers. Unless of course, you wish to be the golden boy’s replacement. I hear tell that Boy George applied for the position, and listed on his profile: Likes: Really wanting to be hurt by you, long motorcycle rides in the desert, and gas pillaging. Dislikes: Feral kids and metal boomerangs to the side of the skull. Then again, I’m pretty no one else likes those things either :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't advocate for oddball calibers just for times like these. Just saying, in normal times, if you reload they are barely an extra expense and in good times they still are for sale. That is just a bonus, not a reason

      Delete
  4. I never owned a 22 rifle until just a few weeks ago I finally brought bought one. I live in a rural state and have not been able to buy any 5.56 NATO and was only given 250 rounds of 22LR for purchase when I bought the rifle. The ammo that most of us need hasn’t been on the shelf for about a month now.

    One thing that I might point out is that while we’re all talking about how the Communists in this country have affectively taken control, I don’t believe I have read one article or heard one commentator on the air discuss how they have also been successful in nullifying our Second Amendment rights from an economic standpoint. This is a key victory for the bastards. No I have not seen a single article that has pointed this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've talked about how the elite have slowly over time made gun ownership more expensive. As usual, the poor get shafted and the rich can buy immunity. It isn't that bad, yet, but the trend is over fifty years old, at least.

      Delete
  5. Right. The .22lr has as it's add on attribute the easiest ability to suppress the sound signature the most, thus allowing a "hot range" type of usage in many scenarios around your hermitage or A.O.

    If a Minionite is in a n.f.a. suppressor friendly state they can can jump through a few hoops to get the atf-local approvals and get a suppressor. Not too difficult nor overly expensive. Doing so legally would be prudent versus black market, j.i.c. any l.e.o. contacts later on your all legit with your kit. This allows more mission options for that lowly duece-duece gun. Keep shopping foray eyes open for the newer more prolific factory threaded barrel offerings. Either pistol or rifle variants. (I have to update for that feature myself as well) it is another niche gun in the B-Pod storage racks. They all have varying uses based upon expected sports intensity and spicy times levels. Stay frosty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that "cans" are veering into Beard Boy territory. A $200 tax, plus unit price, is like buying a $500 scope for a $300 gun. Not judging-just not doing

      Delete
    2. Same here Jim, I refuse to pay an extra tax on a muffler for my weapon. Come the day... I'll easily manufacture required said items from parts and pieces I have laying around. Nothing illegal about having tubing and other parts. Just cannot possess a completed one heh heh nor will I untill that day comes.
      It does help that I've got the proper tooling laying around too...
      Still , just can't justify paying that extra tax for something that really ain't necessary.
      Sorta like a lot of other things I've got laying around
      Like a Ham side band transceiver that I don't have a license for either. Don't need a license unless you transmit...
      Don't got a sawed off shotgun , but I've got a saw.
      When the rule book changes , at that point many things formerly controlled , will become the norm and without anyone concerned about.
      Until that day however , I shall always go by the rules.

      Delete
    3. Poking the Feds eye is a sure way to be the only MF in the prison for the apocalypse, long after they let everyone else go for Beer Virus. I'm sure no one will report the extra rapes and murder ( if the victims are White ) already taking place on that one. Just call the corpse a victim of Das Plague.

      Delete
  6. Oh Lord here we go again. Bison is headed back to the b-pod, coming back from the Humboltd river. Pushing his bike loaded down with 2 days of water.
    A small group of scumbags with a dull machete and a ar-15 jump from the sage brush wanting his bike. As James drops his bike, he runs his hand through his wind tangled hair, then pulls his super enfeild bolt rifle and is hit with 3 rounds of 5.56 in the chest.
    Bison looks through his dying eyes as a leper lovingly strokes his Walmart beach cruiser.
    The scumbags follow his tire marks back to the B-pod and live like kings with all the wheat and supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have you know that was a made in Seattle company beach Cruiser, NOT a Wally special.

      Delete
    2. And Bison would have his trusty revolver to use ready on his hip for such occasional usage too I'm sure.
      For close encounters it will do just fine and probably will only take one round. Whereas with that poodle shooter ya need three.
      Not to mention , I'm certain a sage such as he would not go alone for said water...

      Delete
    3. If I was alone for water, it would be in a backpack. A bike is not THAT stealthy. And I'll only be alone if the rest of the dumbasses have worse luck than me.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all about logistics. That is what wins wars. I'm right on the strategic level. The issue is when each of us deal with it on the tactical level. The Great Basin is NOT flat alkaline desert. It is mostly rolling hills. More mountain ranges here than any other state. Unless you are on the flat river bottoms. And there ain't that many rivers. And, I thought the Hair Bands were in the 80's? Although to be honest I stopped listening to music after rap went from Big Butts to Kill Whitey.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, for a close up combat situation, you’d be better served with a 12ga riot gun with a folding pistol grip stock. Get something like a Remington 870, that has quick change barrels, and choose an 18” barrel. So you’re compromising, yet, you’re sticking to your anti-semi principles. Since you’re in downtown Elko, that’s probably something that you should really consider.

      Personally, I’ve shouldered and fired more than a few military rifles. If you’re shooting at longer ranges, and you never have to carry it very far, you would probably be fine with such an option. But those old military bolt rifles tend be quite heavy, and unwieldy. Personally, I think that at ranges of around 100 yards (Which you’ve mentioned is about your limit) you’d be far better served with the much lighter lever action, in .357 (Since you already have a pistol in that chambering). But I’ve mentioned it in the past, and you don’t really seem to be too keen on that idea. I know that bayonets have something to do with that choice. But you could always African American rig something for the lever action, if you truly need to have a bayonet. But if you’re not accurate past a 100 yards, a heavy bolt rifle, is both more weight, and gun, than you need. Even the 12ga riot gun (This is where the transforming stock, and quick change barrels come into play) is good for a 150 yards (shooting sabot slugs) and would be more versatile.

      http://www.rem870.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/remington_870_tactical.jpg

      Delete
    4. I'm starting out with the AR boltie. No bayonet on that, but the lighter recoil and much quicker reloading in theory handle the increased numbers. I'll transition after the depopulation. This assumes I make it out of the gate.

      Delete
    5. DM-admittedly, my paranoia works against me here, as I never consider myself as having enough to waste any.

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    7. LOL. Fair enough. We both feel strongly. I give you the last word as I'm such a gentleman :)

      Delete
  8. I'm not convinced that people will be shooting long protracted battles. Like you said, ammunition will become too precious to waste. I'm guessing ambushes at camp will become the norm - two to three shots maximum and break out. Because of this, less than five on each side will be involved - splitting loot six ways or more may not be worth the risk.

    Total WAGuessing on my part, but I don't think the lack of firepower will be necessary unless you are alone. Even then, a single shot out of the blue will remove that threat with no shots from Tactical Timmy. Time spent removing nearby cover from your home / camp will be time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Group size is further dictated by food shortages until the die-off/reorganization is done

      Delete
  9. James, Dude, I can relate. Had the same front sight issue on a Springfield .45 in 90's. When pieces fly off a new gun upon firing, it's not exactly a confidence builder. Sold it next oportunity.
    I like tools you use through thick and thin for years, they always work, may be dinged and scratched up a bit but never get traded off and go to your heirs upon death. It just takes some living to refine your kit.
    If you can carry it, maintain it, feed it, bring it into play quick and shoot effectively, who cares what rifle another man carries.

    The ongoing disintegration of any remining vestiges of prosperity have shown me the necessity of having some fallback "luxuries" in one's life.
    A stash of chocolate, plenty of books, stuff for an enjoyable hobby that doesn't need constant store bought supply relenishment. Some fun hobbies produce post collapse benefit: green woodworking/carving, gardening, leatherwork.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of cheap to free luxuries, but just not Working For The Man is priceless. I'm a slow learner, waiting 35 years.

      Delete
  10. .22 all the way. Hypothetically, it is my favourite deer round, never had a problem with the 30-odd sambar (i.e. small elk size) I've popped off over the years in my imagination. The bush here is pretty thick, so close shots are all you get. The .308 and .223 (I have both) are expensive and a pain, but they have the range I might need one day.
    As for lethality, I knew a guy who had been gut shot with a .22 pistol working as a mall cop, and he wasn't going anywhere apart from writhing on the ground in agony. With better shot placement, like all those deer I imagine I might have shot, no worries, even to 100m.
    Where I am, a brick of .22 is still about 3 hours wages for the premium stuff. What's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel comfortable with 22 as my Forever Gun. Not so much while I'm outgunned even by grannies and child molesters.

      Delete
  11. Practice with what you have. As a teen my first deer that I shot was with single shot 30-30. I missed twice due to distance, lack of a tree to brace, and Adrenalin. Point is I got off 3 shots before it could flee. Maybe 3-4 second reload? I would not feel under gunned with a bolt other than an over run situation. A true minion is out of dodge. Biggest threat is getting sniped from someone that snuck in to range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stock up on dog food, rotation yearly. Dogs are one of the few preps you can still buy. Camp raids are historically most of warfare.

      Delete
  12. .577/450 or nothing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was obscure enough I had to look it up. So the rest of you don't feel like a little retard also, it is the Martini-Henry from the 1870's.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED