Monday, December 30, 2019

peev2c8


PEEv2c8
FAT
Most processed foods have fat in them. As I am discovering much to my dismay as one food item after another is added to my Prohibited Items list. No more Dorito's. Not that the slop is as good as it used to be, MSG probably replacing actual spices, but I loved the little bastards nonetheless. Peanut butter? No great lose, but it was always a nice option. I could go on and on ( no more Twinkies, dammit. Not that those were as good now, BUT! “Chocodiles” were the absolute bestest ), but my main point is that the one common denominator is oil.
*
You might recall that a few years ago ( was it ten years? Time flies ) the folks that made margarine, never a taste treat, changed the formula where the slop didn't even melt so good anymore. They were facing food inflation costs ( thanks, $140 oil and banker financing issues ) and we got an inferior product of an already inferior Junk Food. Well, I think these same greedy bastards are at it again, and they all jumped on the bandwagon the same time as soon as the first reports of soy crop failures showed up.
*
They are doing something with the oil they put in products. Something different than what they were. I don't know if they are buying old rancid oil from McDonald's and mixing it with new soy oil that is now much more expensive ( because a nickel a difference in cost is the difference between the CEO getting a golden parachute retirement or not, and you know which one they'll pick ), or if they are putting “fillers” in there, perhaps fracking oil waste, but the crap is toxic. My body refuses it. By which I mean extremely painful heartburn or what I call “Gremlins” ( painful hard knot under my sternum ), not vomiting or diarrhea.
*
I've had heartburn for at least seven years or so. This oil issue is more recent. I'm convinced the oil in processed foods is responsible. You see, even old age symptoms are a sign from Baby Jesus. In this case, eat healthier. Much healthier, even if taste must be sacrificed. Live longer, to hear the sweat music of the lamentations of their bitches. Not that I'm bitter! Now, here is my point. And it only took me 25% of the article to arrive at it. Dirt cheap cooking oil is becoming a thing of the past. You won't have much time to stockpile.
*
Just like wheat will soon no longer be Oil Age cheap, just as ammunition is on its last desperate reduced price, NOW, not waiting for you to get off your ass to act in a timely manner, now we are also seeing the end of Cheap Cooking Oil ( and, word to the wise, Peak Cheap Coffee is probably already behind us-world reserve currency is failing, remember? ). I suffered physically to bring you this message. Do NOT make my sacrifice be in vain. Stock up on your oil. Now. For under the price of one case of steel ammo for your poodle shooter, you'll have five years of oil.
*
The original chapter here, I recommended lard. I no longer do. After that book was published, I ended up having to throw away all of the lard. I don't remember how many jugs, but the empties stacked as high as I am tall. If not taller. It was a very traumatic experience, I might have blacked some of it out. I'm thinking it was probably close to $200 worth. To be fair, of course, that was what three Lee-Enfield no1's cost me back in the 90's, which I sucked up the loss to buy the superior no4's ( oh, but the collectors price today! ).
*
The best learned lessons cost money, so that their impact is still with you a third of your lifetime later. The lard, even though it is hydrogenated, all went rancid at about the five year mark ( about four after expiration. I think ). The one can of shortening I had with it? Still good to go. To this day. Is it putrid, nasty, unhealthy crap? Of COURSE it is. Do you know what is even less healthy? Not having fat in your storage pantry. You will need fat. You have zero idea today, because almost none of you has lived in the cold, working outside, not having central heat, not having a car heater.
*
Your body will suddenly be lacking all that fat you got in ALL processed foods. Hell, salad dressing. Whole wheat Triscuits. Pretty much ALL processed foods. Stupid ass dumb ass retard ass vegetarians and “Michael” Obammy be damned, your body needs fats. The reason you pick shortening is because the crap doesn't seem to go bad ( yes, Francis, your super ninja olive oil is still good after ten years. Will it be in another ten? Twenty? Rawles reported a can from WWII still being as “edible” as it was back when it was packed. And, Francis, can you afford to stock five years worth of that expensive oil? ).
*
Look. I'm not getting into the whole low price argument. That is for tomorrow or the next day, its own article. Simply, however, if you can't time the collapse you CANNOT ONLY PICK THE VERY BEST!!! Oh My Mother Humping GOD!!! How hard is this stuff? Start out more affordably. Stock cheap and stock deep. Then, if you didn't run out of time, upgrade. Use the old slop as back-up's or barter ( within your own tribe, duh ).
*
What? I'm hosting a class on rocket science here? I don't know science. Or math. I do know what you need. I do know most of our budgets are for beer, not champagne. Even if you make butt tons, most is already accounted for. The affordable cooking oil that you can afford, for now, is shortening. I stock six cans a year, as I figure I'll eat very little in the summer and more in the winter ( I also have pressure canned butter, estimated at two years worth if I and the NOL eat very sparingly. I spent the serious coin on that AFTER I already had my shortening ).
*
My thirty cans minimum should last five years. That being the minimum I set for myself. Which varies of course. I have only six months of canned meat, but seven or eight years of wheat. I just shoot for five as a standard. It amuses me to have Five Year Plans as the Soviets did. And where do you think Stalin got that idea from? Most likely those little Ormanental rice eaters just off the coast of the terminus of the Trans-Siberian Railroad, who kicked Russia's ass just a few decades after starting their industrialization. The Soviets knew they had to do the same, even quicker, to survive her enemies.
*
Just keep in mind that shortages alone drove up the price of shortening fifty percent, several years ago. What do you think it is going to do now, after all that soy spoilage and farmer bankruptcy? Get the crap now, while you can. Try to get the plastic cans, not the wax paper cans, for longevity. They still sold metal coffee cans when I stored the bulk of mine, and I used the empty to shield them from rodents. Upside down, over the shortening, with the lid now on the shelf under the oil can. You could use the plastic coffee can, I guess it MIGHT work, but I'd recommend metal trash cans now. $150 in cooking oil deserves a $25 storage can.
( .Y. ) 
( today's related Amazon link click HERE )
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon links here ( or from http://bisonprepper.com/2.html or www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods ( I get 4% of the Amazon sale, so you need to buy $25 worth for me to get my $1 ) or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book ( web site for free books, Amazon to pay just as a donation vehicle ).
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free. I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio* my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there




34 comments:

  1. Jim,

    Don't throw out your rancid fat's.
    Use it as candle fuel.
    Selco said that during the siege of Sarajevo, they would stick a wick in it, and have a candle. Now. he noted that it stunk and would soot up the walls, but it was light. (the only light they had)

    I have several cans of crisco that I kept in the fridge for years. I have now moved them to the root cellar, and will use them for that, or trade.

    Don't just toss. Repurpose what ya have. 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I threw away the lard already knowing the above trick. It was a question of storage space.

      Delete
    2. Right. Be organized. A Minionite should not be scatter assed, spazing out with the white tape repaired glasses and all. It is too 'Merican easy to shop and stock, with no rotation or priority assessments made for the items. Bubba will be stubbing his slipper wearing feet into piled up prepper crap. With a number 10 can of freeze dried scrotum steaklets falling down as well. Dumph! Don't be that fellow.

      Delete
    3. I have wire on my glasses, rather than tape. The other side has an oversize long screw. Am I still a spaz?

      Delete
  2. re:
    ammunition cost

    From Wal*Mart, we acquired 60-round boxes of 6.5Creedmore for us$42.
    That supply is TU.
    Yesterday, we checked Big 5.
    Identical boxes of 6.5cm were us$68.
    Similar cost increases for 62-grain 5.56 and .22sub-sonic.

    *****

    re:
    fats and oils

    My sisters and nieces make nice-smelling soaps with goat milk and coconut oil.
    They acquire 40-gallon kegs of coconut oil, a pallet at a time.
    We're covered for awhile.

    Unrefined coconut oil has the benefit of mono-lauren, a potent anti-viral.
    Refined coconut oil lacks this essential nutrient.
    No hydrogenation required.
    Our research indicates coconut oil remains healthy to consume for decades without going rancid.

    Bison, you nailed it with your revelation about the need for dietary fats/oils (the terms are interchangeable).
    Oil lubricates our joints, is a longer-lasting fuel than sugars (the 'keto' craze), and is a necessary brain food.
    I read someplace the human brain is 80% fat, much of it cholesterol.
    Irregardless of dietary cholesterol, our bodies manufacture cholesterol to maintain this balance.

    Unfortunately, eating junk such as Dorito chips (may Jay Leno burn forever for his complicity in that fraud) or Twinkies with their hydrogenated oils directly leads to inflammation, a direct cause of arterial damage, with the resulting cholesterol patches to attempt to control internal bleeding.
    As you might imagine, cholesterol patches inside your arteries reduces flow... and increases pressure.
    Allopathic physicians, bless their hearts, understand that relationship, but instead of suggesting diet changes, they prescribe statin drugs.
    Say 'goodby' to your libido.
    But the allopaths have pills for that, too.

    Pills are a result of diet choices.
    And everybody in earshot knows my thoughts on consuming grains.
    Grains are inflammatory... causing arterial damage... requiring the need for cholesterol patches... causing reduced blood flow and higher blood pressure.

    For laborers and marathon runners, carbs are a necessary fuel.
    For everybody else, fats/oils are a better long-term choice.
    The difference is constantly feeding kindling to your fire... or thick logs to burn all night.

    BACON!

    And to absorb everyday toxins, eat your vegetables.
    The fiber is a requirement for health... and those satisfying moments 'in the reading room' we all know and love.
    But, without the oil to slide things along, our fiber can get sluggish.
    Fermentation sets in, bubbles form, and the resultant anti-social eruptions, while certainly entertaining, have the unfortunate potential of alerting the enemy to your position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually eating my whole wheat platter right now, as I read your words. I'll be contrary until I die! Here is your ammo, $36 for 60 rounds:
      https://www.sgammo.com/product/sellier-bellot-ammo-sale/20-round-box-65-creedmoor-140-grain-fmj-bt-ammo-sellier-bellot-sb65

      Delete
    2. And young you will die James. Considering your aversion to eating healthy things lol.

      Delete
    3. Just an aversion to eating as a bunny. :)

      Delete
    4. Source please for the 40 gallon drums of coconut oil?

      Delete
  3. Mr D

    Yes yes yes. Fats will be hi-val. Just avoid canola. GM'ed from it's original form (rapeseed), used to manufacturer industrial lubricant for hi-output industrial pumps etc. The fatty acids in it are neurotoxic, which is why it can be used as an insecticide. So ! .... toxic, but as a GM'ed food it's A-OK ! It should only be used as a garden application for insect control. The tools who GM'ed this nightmare renamed it canola ( Canadian oil).

    Corn oil is OK, as are lard, tallow, schmaltz ( clarified chicken fat) and ghee (butter)and coconut oil. Naturally occurring saturated fats( animal, olive and coconut )trump the fake/trans fats. No worries peasantry ... in the Future we'll all be able to get to our target weight ! Nuts and avocados will be the foods of the rich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let's be honest. They can have the avocados. Mucus dipped pit. I've noticed for myself, I can't eat any nuts anymore. Perhaps they roast them in oil? Even pistachio's.

      Delete
  4. My mother needed some shortening to bake something. I happened to have a can of that Crisco vegetable shortening sitting around for my cap and ball revolvers, that I never used. I looked at the date, and it was about 10 years old. I cracked the can, and no problem, and she used it. I’m pretty sure that it was one of those paper cans too.

    For fat, the key is distinguishing between the good and the bad. This isn’t as hard as it sounds, since the good is rather limited (Fatty fish such as salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines, nuts (Peanuts are technically a legume) and avocados, are probably the most commonly found). Why is good, good? Well, in addition to being healthy, and rich in the omega fatty acid family, good fat satiates the appetite for longer periods, and is the key to many weight loss programs (Please take note Ms O’Dumbbell. The other Ms O’Dumbbell prefers to hear the stereo while doing the deed :D )

    I have heartburn, or rather acid indigestion. Do you know when I never had it? When I was on a low carb diet. I also noticed that my psoriasis flared up much worse when I went off that diet. Now to be clear, I’m not trying to suggest that it’s practical to be on a low carb diet PA. However, I do believe in the diet, and highly recommend it Pre-collapse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 100% , eat to live. Moderation and diversity in your diet will keep you thin and healthy.

      Delete
  5. I have a Piteba Nut and Seed Oil Expeller, $136 with free shipping. Press your acorns or hazelnuts into oil in small batches. In the Baker Creek Heirloom seed catalog, you can get the Mammoth Grey Striped sunflower seeds 25 for $2.50. 12 inch heads produce a lot of seed. The Mongolian Giant heads are 16 to 18 inches across, with inch long seeds. I grew these last year and they really produce. Make your own oil in small batches. Demented Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the same money, healthier oil. Not bad. Buy more steel cased ammo to keep your orchards clear, however.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. my 1st & 2nd wife both had the exact same symptoms... fine then suddenly any fats would cause extreme heartburn... turned out to be gallbladder.

    I know, you avoid doctors like the plague... but occasionally they do have a use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter still okay, fatty meats okay if drained. Just processed foods are the problem. You know, the stuff that tastes good :) The NOL has the same issue, and I take a lot of diet cues from her. One thing I won't copy is the Purple Pill. Don't trust them. Not that antacid is much better.

      Delete
  7. Jim's point about what mystery fillers or recipe changes (economic corporate ass rapists) to our old school memory of mainstay products is a spot on analysis. You know, I know, and Ross Perot sure knew, that these factory foods are cranked out high speed macro profit per gram of ingredient tolerances. Then the hired help finger digit fondling your food when their stupid looking faces should generally be getting on barred window busses. The quality control may squeek by fda health codes standards when they get the courtesy heads up of the inspection date. Hmm?

    I try to use 1930 1940s era food group charts and examples of a-typical meals and preparations. The folks on film back then looked fit, trim, and not like a hospice candidate, as these freaks nowadays. Keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, FDA inspections. Advanced warning, AND regs written by the companies themselves.

      Delete
  8. Don't forget canned butter.
    https://www.amazon.com/Zealand-100-artificial-flavors-Great-Preparedness-Earthquake/dp/B007L596XE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=red+feather+butter&qid=1577755486&sr=8-1

    Demented Guy,
    Are you using the Piteba with raw, unprocessed acorns or do you leach them first? What do you do with the oil, is it okay with say cooking in cast iron or lube for scrambling eggs?
    Romans 14:11

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kunstler's got an especially tasty entry today.

    https://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/forecast-2020-whirling-and-swirlin/

    ReplyDelete
  10. My oils come from 2 sources only. Bacon drippings and unsalted butter. Overall, we have eliminated cooking oils by 90%. This is just one more step in my simplification process to all things food and it's preparation. Beyond that, the effort to reduce the amount of food consumed continues. I am living proof that people have been deeply programmed to believe they should eat far more food than necessary and this leads to all kinds of negative issues. 1000 years ago it was very rare for a commoner to eat every day and less so to eat more than a few hundred calories at a sitting.

    The quality of most food to day is a mere shadow of what it was just 50 years ago. Thank you ConAgra. Better quality food costs more but you eat less of it. But it takes time for your body to get used to the change which can take several months. I'm not the "ease into it" kinda person, cold turkey is my middle name. Like with the cooking oil. I had been researching it for years then one day I just said, "No more." and I stopped buying it. But before doing that I stopped needing it. Don't remember the last time I deep fried anything, at least 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit to missing french fries. Anything else in a deep fryer just soaks up too much soy oil. Home french fries, oven fries, just cannot compete. About twice a year I'll buy a large order of Wendy's fries, even though I hate the bastards. They have the better fast food fries. Buying as a treat, rather than a staple, they do taste a lot better.

      Delete
    2. After my stroke in July and the news of some arterial damage I stopped using salt. I started realizing how much foods in general have been supplemented by salts and sugars to distract from low quality. Ever tasted an unsalted potato chip? Mikesells has a version and they are almost flavorless. Lays has a version that has 50% less salt and they too are very flavorless. No flavor, what's the point? After all, there's no nutritional reason to eat them. So we stopped buying them. Freed up some space in one of our kitchen larders too. Yay! Yeah, take away the injected salt and sugar and most foods today are pretty bland. For me, that's good. I am heading for the realm where food is a tool and not an entertainment. The media in all it's forms pushes food at every juncture and I'm tired of buying it. click <----that was me turning the media off

      Delete
    3. Yes, but doesn't that make it difficult to eat home made potatoes, also? I'd rather be eating potatoes than rice or noodles.

      Delete
    4. I still eat potatoes but I spice them myself and without salt. We have a huge spice and herb arsenal over here and use them in everything we cook. It was explained to me by a doctor what salt does to the artery walls and while some salt is good heavy salt over a long time has huge tolls. For 60+ years I've eaten like everyone else and there is a price to pay. So I purchase foods that are less processed and then use ingredients of my choosing to make them enjoyable. No, I don't like this. But I dislike even more that I never learned how to eat properly early on. You know what they say, it's never too late to learn. To each his own.

      Delete
  11. Granted fat is useful for things other than basic life processes. As you point out, fat on the body can help with staying warm, but we really aren't set up for building an effective outer layer of blubber. Our fat is not uniformly distributed so there are large areas with minimal fat layer protection, especially the extremities that radiate heat profusely. Also, excess fat builds up in our muscles and organs, reducing function and often causing serious damage. Something to keep in mind when considering eating extra fat to build up an internal fat reserve is that essentially 1/3 of the calories present are used in a very inefficient process of storage and recovery. Unlike cows and pigs, we aren't designed for efficient fat storage, so fat once stored only gives back about 6 calories/gram of energy. It might be better to count on warmer cloths for thermal protection rather than a thicker layer of fat.

    Fat is difficult to store long term, and being heavily into long term food storage, I've wondered just how much is really needed. The US government says about 30% of our calories should come from fat. However, one of the longest living populations on the planet are the Japanese on Okinawa. Their traditional diet averages only about 6% fat. They are exceptionally healthy and live longer than just about any population on the planet. A diet worth emulating I think. To get an idea of how little fat this is, a person consuming 2,000 calories a day would need only about 1 tablespoon of shorting per day to get their entire fat requirement. Assuming Walmart Great Value shortening, it would cost <$100 for a 10 year supply. Of course a diet would consist of other foods as well, and those foods usually contain fat. If a person eats 2,000 calories of wheat, about 4% is fat, so the required shortening dose would drop to only about a teaspoon/day and a 10 year supply at that rate would cost <$35.

    I'm not saying that anyone would want to store or even consume so little fat, but its clear that one could survive, even thrive, for a decade or more with less than $50 invested in fat storage. After that, store in depth for other uses like barter, or perhaps for multiple cache locations. It doesn't take much, and its relatively inexpensive. So little is actually needed, that I'm starting to look for higher quality oil sources than shortening. They will cost more, but I'll bet I can still get high quality oil set up for long term storage for less than $10/year. I'm just not sure yet which oils to choose and how best to store them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not speaking of storing fat, but consuming it as the body uses it as it is burning fat for extra heat. Biking and working out in the cold, I consumed a very fatty diet and was losing weight if I didn't stuff my face every day.

      Delete
  12. Get your gall bladder checked out Jim.
    Also, I had heartburn on the regular whenever I laid down, until I started lying on my left side. Both the top and bottom valve on your stomach point to the right, so lying on your left keeps them on top. Like a bottle with a leaky cap, it will leak a lot less if the opening is pointed upwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Similar issues, so yes, I'm thinking you are correct. No need for a doctor. It is a very tough slog, but I'm working at eliminating the greasy foods causing it. Christ, yesterday I have a piece of carrot cake, and it hit me like a howitzer. It hardly had any icing, but something in was loaded with rancid oil. Good thing I don't REALLY like baked goods. My point is almost anything processed can be toxic. Hard to eat so bland without backsliding

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED