Saturday, December 14, 2019

peev2c1


PEEv2c1
In 2013 I wrote the book “PEE”. Prepper Emergency Essentials. The title amused me, and it was an update to the 2006 book “Frugal Survivalism”. A completely different format, as I had less than zero desire to actually write that thing all over again ( that was one of the few I wrote INSTEAD of the blog, rather than part of the blog, and was a rather painful two months of work ). Well, lately as I've gotten a lot of newbies, these kinds of questions are being asked again. But the PEE book itself is in need of an update ( PS-the original is in BBBno1, free at my web site ).
*
More importantly, I'm simply tapped out on my normal “philosophy of Bison” types of articles, baffling BS to astound and titillate. The well is a bit dry. No worries, my loyal and generous minions. I always get that mojo back. It is just a temporary dry spell. So this will keep me out of the unemployment lines and I trust, you rather amused. I know most of you prefer the philosophy articles. I do too, as far too many survival publications repeat the rote, never daring to think too deep. I just have uninspired moments at times.
*
So you get “basics”. I'll try to keep it interesting, honest Injun. Here is the original version table of contents I'm duplicating:

1. Taste Fatigue
2. Buying Wheat
3. Storing Wheat
4. Grinding Your Grain
5. Water Filter
6. How Much Food Should You Store?
7. Survival Rifle
8. Fat
9. Location
10. Precious Metals
11. Post-Apocalypse Lighting
12. Manual Clothes Washing
13. Peak Oil
14. Top Ten List
15. Junk Land
16. Wool
17. Caches
*
Hopefully I won't need to run these all one after another, finding the inspiration for the normal articles in between. I'll try to keep these as interesting as I can.
*
Taste Fatigue
Ah, the dreaded taste fatigue. If we don't let Johnny eat a huge and varied variety he will simply stop eating and die, our beloved snot dripping moron departing this mortal coil. Sad Panda :( ! I don't know where this drivel started. I have a feeling it was mere corporate sponsored propaganda that was picked up as a meme by those unable to fathom a single moment in their pampered lives that had an iota of discomfort introduced in the glittery unicorn land they had carefully erected.
*
And speaking of erection, the whole concept of taste fatigue is a boner. Ever had a kid, or at least knew about one because your scurvy over educated ass would never dream about populating Gaia and hence denying a Diversity Rich immigrant from settling here, that went on a kick where they would only eat one thing ( I think this usually revolved around dreaded lips and bunghole meat tubes from Oscar Myer )? Kids don't die because they are only eating one food, YOU are dying because you have to listen to their incessant whining. Parents being played, how embarrassing.
*
During unemployment, I've eaten one thing. For a month I ate nothing but potatoes and margarine ( this was back when potatoes were one fifth the price [ and minimum wage was one half-nothing to see here with inflation and wage stagnation, move along. All is well ] and fake butter was far less putrid ). For a week, another time, it was nothing but rice. Another week, noting but Top Ramen. It was a time of stress, and I didn't much care about what I was eating. Sound familiar, come the collapse?
*
During times of disruption, peasants would be eating pretty much just gruel ( as do monks, even now ). And you don't even need to just eat just one thing. Even I don't JUST store wheat. But even if you did, so humping what? When the rubber actually hits the road, your pampered pathetic useless mouth breathing oxygen wasting putrid sack of meat will be so grateful for ANY food, first world problems will disappear quickly. The ONLY important thing on your mind will be food. ANY food. You have zero idea how import calories are, after living a life of luxury calories, literally fed by petroleum.
*
Do yourself a favor and do NOT get me started on Peak Oil. Fracking oil, which was well known to Hubbert by the way, will not keep the deep fried Twinkies rolling into the supermarkets. One day, and I DO actually hope that day never comes-but really, who are we actually kidding here-calories will be as dear to you then as taste is now. And we all know how dear taste is to you, because McDonald's is still open for business, even without offering the McRib. I haven't eaten at McDogCrap's for years, and even I would risk exposure to its third world citizens to get a McRib again.
*
I'm eating bacon right now, as I type this, and I'm drooling over a McRib. That is how sad our lives are. It is just programming, people, because nothing is as good as bacon. Except perhaps the tears of a liberal. And yes, I do actually have bacon for the apocalypse. A Dear Minion sent me a case a good number of years ago. I will NOT be sharing it, nor will I hesitate to waste ammunition defending it. You might feel the same way about your cans of Spam. Coffee, it goes without saying. But these are treats. Not daily requirements ( except coffee-DUH! ).
*
For almost twenty years, near enough to daily, I've eaten two meals a day of wheat ( I just had some before the bacon ). It isn't machismo or toughness or me being a super ninja survivalist. I LIKE whole wheat. After my mom went proto-Hippie on us in the early 70's, we ate a metric butt ton of whole wheat. Yours truly was there grinding it up on a Corona as soon as I was big enough. Whole wheat gives you real sustained energy.
*
It is dirt cheap. And it is delicious ( try the store bought, weaning yourself off some, then most white flour. But fresh, ground and then refrigerated and eaten in a few days flour tastes TWICE as good, AND your body craves it for the fresh ingredients ). Some days, yes, I am feeling lazy and don't want to prepare it, but once I start eating it I forget the PITA factor. I don't get tired of it. Dinner is enough variety, and surprisingly I get more tired of dinner than wheat. Trust me, if you are storing REAL food, not processed, taste fatigue will be minimal.
*
I'm not claiming it will be absent. But it will be a minor issue. I don't mean that because getting shot at is more important. I mean, you won't be anywhere near as concerned about taste fatigue as you think you will be now. Just as the politically motivated asswhores spread the rumor that men are pussies and don't REALLY want to kill, which is nonsense-that would not be a factor save cultural pressure-being afraid of not getting menu variety is merely a symptom of market conditioning and unrealistic expectations by the perpetually spoiled with luxury.
*
It will suck, but it won't be life threatening. Nothing too much more than, say, being cold as you pull a twelve hour patrol. The next time, you dress better ( as a minion said, from a Russian saying, there is no bad weather, just bad clothes ). You get a bit hateful of one food, you hunt a woodchuck or look for edible plants. It is JUST a discomfort. The only ONE item food diet is going to be long term food, anyway. The kids, and you, will get progressively more used to the approaching variety desert, as time passes and “civilized” food is used up.
( .Y. )
( today's related Amazon link click HERE )
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon links here ( or from http://bisonprepper.com/2.html or www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods ( I get 4% of the Amazon sale, so you need to buy $25 worth for me to get my $1 ) or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book ( web site for free books, Amazon to pay just as a donation vehicle ).
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free. I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio* my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

39 comments:

  1. As my wife finished college, we lived on my paltry income, during the 70's high (at the time) gas prices and high inflation. We ate cheap, think one step about cat food, tuna. Did I get sick of tuna, YES, but I ate it or nothing. I have spent time in the jungle of Central America, living with Indigenous people. The same thing every day and every meal. I joked with gingo's that we had the same 3 things we just ate it cause the closest grocery store was a LONG way away. Also jungle meat (any thing you can kill) gets to be a treat...taste like chicken LOL. Taste fatigue may be real but if your working with limited food options it is a long way down on your list of problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do everything I can to avoid certain foods I got tired of before. Top Ramen, peanut butter, chili. But the one thing I cannot force myself to eat is that damn tuna. Luckily, it isn't so cheap anymore, so less of a "temptation". Not that I won't enjoy it PA, on whole wheat :)

      Delete
    2. I go the other way. I like canned tuna and I eat it frequently. In oil preferably, and whoever came up with that "packet" shit needs to be dragged. (huge money waster, and the flavors will make you hurl) My favorite way of eating tuna is also the easiest. Dump some bag salad on a plate, then plop a can of drained tuna on top, some chopped up tomato and a few lines of ranch dressing. But yeah, I eat tuna in many different ways and never tire of it. Now if that's all I had, was 2000 cans of tuna and nothing else, well....all bets are off.

      Delete
    3. Too many weekend nights ( living without the fridge ) eating tuna and chili. Now I have an excuse with chili-heartburn. I use the "3x cost now" excuse ( and Fuki radiation ) to not eat tuna. I COULD eat it, but won't unless I absolutely have to. Just overexposure, is all.

      Delete
    4. Tuna, sour cream, finely diced onions, salt, pepper. Mix 'em up and then on fresh bread: heaven.

      Delete
    5. Please excuse me, while I go vomit. I'll get right back to writing your next article in a moment. Nauseous Panda :(

      Delete
    6. Don't know about that sour cream. I've done like you described except with mayo and it is very tasty. Maybe I'll ease into it first with 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream. Sometimes I eat tuna right out of the drained can with a fork. Excellent.

      Delete
    7. Mayo, butter and deep fry. Make ANYTHING taste good. Except the broccoli family foods. Those are thick stalk weeds, only suitable for insects or scavengers.

      Delete
  2. I have a woodchuck (groundhog) living under an outbuilding. It was destroying my garden. It is vegetarian. I think it is hibernating now.

    I want to live trap it. What do I use as bait? ...in the spring...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you see it in your garden put a BB in it's ass, then leave it alone. There may come a time in the future when you may need it, so why waste it now? Think!

      FWIW, we has an opossum that's been coming around at night and I encourage it to do so by throwing food scraps out in the yard. I hope it brings it's whole family around here. May come in handy in the future.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like vegetables make pretty good bait! I had an uncle who had a very productive garden. I asked him how he kept deer from eating everything. He replied with a wink, "I eat vegetables and I eat meat. I let the deer choose."

      Delete
    3. Yes, most veggies are only good as bait or bacon. All those silly neighbors growing too much squash? Pigs eat anything

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. Your aversion to vegetables, could well be a link to your early onset failing body. The key to a healthy body is a well balanced diet...just saying , but hell what do I know ?

      Delete
    6. Like a pregnant woman, I just listen to my body. When I crave, I eat bunny food. When it sounds nasty, I back off. I can research back each ailment and discern its cause. None were from lack of veggies. Except hemorrhoids. No telling where that came from-it wasn't like I lacked any fiber. Some folks eat so little meat, I don't understand how they are alive. Everyone is different-one size does NOT fit all. I trust the USDA as far as I can throw them.

      Delete
    7. Hemorrhoids = stress
      Phsical or emotional

      Delete
    8. DG-good call on "washing" the pelt.

      Delete
    9. 7:09-really? Stress? Seems an odd thing. Not surprising-stress starts at the stomach, I guess.

      Delete
    10. Don't know about groundhogs, but try nailing rat traps on trees with a 16-penny nail about 6 feet up. Set them and put peanut butter on them as bait. Do you know how to cook a squirrel Mulligan? Hint: helps if you grow potatos and onions.

      Delete
    11. Nice thumbnail picture! Almost better than my photo :)

      Delete
  3. I’ve noticed that you only see immigrants working fast food anymore, and have always wondered why that is, even in the more affluent area where I worked. Those used to be a kids first job. Here in Commiefornia, east indians run all of the 7-11’s, lower end motel chains, and gas stations. You couldn’t swing a live cobra by the tail around here, without whacking one of those little suckers in the head :D You only see indians working in those places too.

    Fast food has come a long ways since I was a kid. The menu’s at those places usually only offered a few items. With McDonald's, you had fries, a few variety of burgers, shakes, perhaps a few other items, and that was it. Taco Bell had burritos, tostadas, taco’s, enchiladas, and something called a “bell burger” whatever the hell that was? Though one imagines that the food at such places has become that much more artificial over the years, as well. A few years back, I did hear that taco bell was one of the healthier fast food places to eat at, so if you’re going to eat such food, that’s probably the place to do so.

    Certain foods, due to versatility, fight taste fatigue better than others. Top Ramen would be a better example of this. I think if you enter the search terms into your browser, “a 1000 ways to make top ramen” or something to that effect, you get a good many and varied ways to make that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if by "healthy" you mean extra fiber from sawdust and extra estrogen from soy, I think one should eat at Taco Bell :)

      Delete
    2. I think he means because of the increase in raw vegetables over everything else. I got a taco salad there a couple years ago and had to look for the meat as most of it was lettuce. Then, when I got to the bottom of the bowl I found the new surprise. There was a layer of rice at the very bottom. Sneaky bitches, loading it up with the cheap shit and cutting back on the spensive stuff.

      Now, I go there once a year and wear my Lands End vest with the giant pockets. I order cheap, and then load up my vest pockets with the hot sauce packets. I know, they sell that stuff in the stores, in a jar, but it doesn't taste like the real thing.

      Delete
    3. I noticed that about the store hot sauce myself. I thought I was just suffering from "smokers tongue".

      Delete
  4. I'm new to your site, and maybe you've already seen this, but it sounds in line with much you have to say:
    https://www.oftwominds.com/blogdec19/taxonomy-collapse12-19.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally don't revisit him unless someone points out an exceptional article. Thanks-I'll go check it out

      Delete
  5. A good way to get us recruits to eat soy was to serve up all the nasty Diversity food at chow, and we opted for the soy burgers instead ( "guaranteed 30% real meat!" ). Eating frogs brought that to mind, I don't know why. Or maybe it was the "starving"

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Taste fatigue is bull crap."
      ============

      Agree. It's a byproduct of living in the land of plenty and inexpensive. When the larders are slammed it's easy to be a picky dik, when they are empty and a week or two of nothing sets in that moose anus will cause people to fistfight over it. lol

      Delete
    2. Well, you did say you were lacking fat in your diet...:)

      Delete
    3. Glad there aren't moose in OK. Or I would probably be forced to ty it. Demented Guy

      Delete
    4. The Jews in Warsaw ate beef rectum. I don't know about the fat content

      Delete
    5. Rectum? It nearly killed um!

      Delete
  7. Jim, With apologies to your luxuriant mane, let me suggest the following video of a lecture on geopolitics given in September by a guy named Peter Zeihan. This was recommended by Tom Kratman. What I've watched so far has been pretty interesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfyrURHpUcM
    Fast-forward to 31:10 for his remarks on shale oil. He claims that US shale oil is nearly down in cost-of-production to the level of Saudi crude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason that might even be true is that Saudi Arabia peaked twenty years ago, Ganwar ( I know I got that wrong-the elephant field 80-90 years old ) down to almost nothing with HUGE saltwater cuts ( 90+% ) to pressure it out, and so both that oil and the off shore ( and stealing from Yemen ) stuff IS expensive to process. They no longer are the low cost producer they were long ago. However, I feel that this guys claims are they same magical accounting used twelve years ago tricking investors. SRS Rocco covers all this, as far as local frackers ( Simmons covered Saudi ). You can trust SRS, as he is WAY more optimistic than I care for. His stuff is scary enough, even erring on the side of caution

      Delete
  8. “Except the broccoli family foods. Those are thick stalk weeds, only suitable for insects or scavengers.”



    It’s too bad that you feel that way. You are unknowingly overlooking one of the best kept delicacies out there; the broccoli stem, that everyone else throws out. I did too, until a fellow at work informed that this was the best part of the broccoli. And indeed it is. When I buy broccoli, I purposely pick the heads with the biggest stems. Here’s what you do. Start by peeling that tough outer layer of the stem with a knife. It is very easy, and should take no more than a few seconds, or you’re doing something wrong. Cook that sucker up, as you would the broccoli, until tender. You are now about to enjoy a vegetable that I’d place right up there in terms of being delicious, as with asparagus, but at a fraction of the cost. Salt a little to taste, if you like. Hmmmm! Yummy, yummy, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is it with you people today, trying to get me to puke out a stomach lining? Assperigus tastes like green dingus

    ReplyDelete
  10. What I like about oatmeal is its versatility. Mixed with tuna or chicken, it takes on the flavors of it too, especially when oatmeal is allowed to soak a minute before cooking. Put in sweetner - breakfast cereal. Put in salsa - lunch or dinner. Good use for flavor packets is appetite fatigue begins to set in. All this often free for the taking at fast food restaurants.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED