Monday, October 14, 2019

road weary


ROAD WEARY
I was over reading Frank & Fern HERE and the comments section had folks expressing frustration and weariness over the never ending prepping and the always on Voice Of Doom, throwing away old food and etcetera. Just a general malaise over the constant grind. I cannot pretend to understand how they feel, as I am too busy, too focused on More Doom. But I think I can understand how they feel in general. I just have a different target, as do some of you. We are just tired of people who are an obstacle for prepping, and some preppers are just tired of prepping itself.
*
But I think everyone is just wore down in general. Change is inherently bad for our species, and there is simply too much change everywhere. It gets discouraging. You have plenty of pieces of two by four lumber laying around, but it is still illegal to hit the idiots upside the head to knock some sense into them. You just want to yell into their faces, coating them with semi-toxic spittle, you are a jag-off! Stop trying to fix wasn't broken until you broke it, by trying to break it more! Humping idiots!
*
I never get tired of stockpiling More, nor do I ever get tired of stockpiling Different. But I only maintain my sanity by writing, I suck at fiction, so I embrace prepping more because I love writing about it than I do just prepping. I'm a bit better insulated against burn out because of that. I don't look at thirty buckets of lard disposed of by burial and think, damn, what a waste. I look at all the shortening I replaced it with and say, hmm, there's an article I can write. Sure, the extra money hurts a little, but I have to get rid of it somehow anyway.
*
Then, I look at how all the shortening I bought is now double to triple the price and I think, suckers! I TOLD you to stock up while it was on clearance. Something else to write about, AND I feel superior and I start doing a Eddie Murphy dance, “I got some shortening, you don't get none, your mama's on the welfare!” Much too busy to get tired of any of this. But I DO get weary and discouraged almost every day. And for probably the same reason the other folks did. Another day the apocalypse didn't happen, dammit!
*
I don't mean it in the sense I want to get killed after eating way too much wheat and freezing in the dark. I just want it to get over with as I'm tired of the anticipation. I'm sure most other people are just tired of the extra work that might not be needed. But those folks don't like history. If they did, there would be absolutely no doubt in their minds that this sucker is going down. And that would get them through each hard day, each bucket of stale food they had to give to the chickens that weren't even laying because of the cold.
*
I think there will be a special place in heaven for my father and the teachers in my little Podunk central California town when they pass. They all really instilled a love of history in me. Just for loving it themselves, and being excited about it and NEVER focusing just on dates and kings. I feel I was luckier than most, but then, Baby Jesus has had a plan for me all along. My first love was military history because, duh, guns and other manly objects.
*
I didn't even know it at the time, but at six years old I was already studying the subject. My dad, who thankfully doesn't remember the incident, made me a wooden model gun for Halloween. But it was a Garand. Dammit! I threw a fit because it wasn't the NEW gun the military was using. I have no idea where I picked that up from. It could have only been the newspaper or evening news. But at that age, how did I know the difference? Of course, I had second thoughts on that once I had to use one. But just studying military history, once you are old enough to analyze it, you realize that is exactly how you DON'T want to fight. Even that helps planning.
*
Of course, I quickly got into more than simple military history. I got interested in conspiracies and their history and had the good fortune of knowing Loompanics from their militant material, turning me on to Robert Anton Wilson. Which got me into more Hippie subjects. And, after discarding crap like UFO's, One World Illuminati, Jewish Overlords, and the like, more behind the scenes manipulations by the elite. History opens up so much more than its direct study would suggest.
*
History is of itself beneficial to know, because nothing new is under the sun. Nothing. It was ALL done and thought of before. Now I read that not only Germany circa Hitler but Rome WAY back when, all had hippie movements. But just getting into studying history, you want to know more about everything from engineering to anthropology. It excites the mind. Is that why most folks ignore it? Their mind is numb at the end of the work day and they just want to turn it off?
*
Was it just the bad teachers, like the ones that ruined math or sex education for you? I mean, they made drivers education dull as dishwater, and you are still driving, right? I kid. I'm sure it was terrible teachers. And being tired at the end of the day. And disliking social sciences in general. Not having time after sports. Hey, I KNOW people are weird because they aren't just like me. Their loss, not mine. But I can understand the general hatefulness toward the subject for all the reasons. I don't judge. Too much.
*
As for the food rotation, that confuses me slightly. What are folks rotating? The only thing I keep that doesn't have a minimum of a decade shelf life is peanut butter. And because that no longer has a three to five year life after its stated expiration date like it used to ( now I don't trust it past about six months-they charged the formula somehow. And you can tell, just from its repulsive smell, that it isn't edible ), I only carry about two cases of it. That is just a BOB's worth and a taste fatigue item for the initial cupboard eating.
*
I want to buy more food for longer eating after the apocalypse. Because farming won't be as easy as assumed ( weather, pests, brigands, pollution and denuded soil ). I don't want to buy more because I'm throwing out the old stuff. Taste is for Prepper Princess Pussies. Longevity and calories should be your primary considerations ( then nutrition. Taste is WAY down the list ). You can always take vitamins and eat wild greens. You need to focus on calories. What? You think you deserve it all, because you are a snowflake?
*
You are one unit out of seven BILLION. By any metric except your own, you do not count. You are expendable. The odds do NOT favor you. Pick the lesser of evils, in this case more calories that last longer, before nutrients or taste. The whole point is to survive, not to thrive. Calories first. And more calories. Then, more calories. $25 will get you a year of Vitamin C and a multivitamin and wheat will get you sprouts for the micro- nutrients. You'll survive longer with inferior calories than with less calories.
*
Tomorrow, let's discuss exactly how little you really need to survive. Just to make this whole endeavor less stressful.
( .Y. )
( today's related Amazon link click HERE )
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon links here ( or from http://bisonprepper.com/2.html or www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods ( I get 4% of the Amazon sale, so you need to buy $25 worth for me to get my $1 ) or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book ( web site for free books, Amazon to pay just as a donation vehicle ).
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free. I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio* my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there


21 comments:

  1. I call it depressurizing. When we moved from suburbia to ruralville there was quite a bit of culture shock but I believe both my wife and I were craving just that. No more could we just jump in the ride and run to the store 5 mins away - and no more did we have to tolerate the conversations of neighbors whose house was just 20' away from ours. Now, the stores are more than 30 mins away and the closet neighbor is more than 1/8 a mile away. We lost the convenience of stores but we gained the peace of mind of privacy. If you aren't into that sort of thing then you won't like it here.

    Those were just 2 of the things we learned to deal with here, there are many more. By not having stores close by we have learned to do without or, learned to vary what we need by using with what we already have. Also, since everything is purchased in big chunks we have streamlined what we buy. We don't have 50 of everything but rather 50 of what we use. And 50 more in back stock. I do all the major cooking here and our kitchen used to have every spice and herb known to mankind whether we used them or not, cause stores. Here, I paid attention and found we only use about 10 of those spices and herbs routinely, so I got rid of everything we don't use and stocked heavily what we do use.

    Living our lives fully without the conveniences and annoyances of suburbia has given us more time to spend on things we enjoy. My wife and I are not people people so we don't do people much. Occasionally, but usually not. We are content in our day to day existence and seek very little that we don't already have. Look! A squirrel on the suet cage right outside my window! And I haven't seen another human being since over a week ago. Prepping? WTF is that. 'Round these parts we call it livin'. Just depends on how addicted you've become to your life long programming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out at the B-POD, ground squirrels and Magpies provided much amusement and relaxation. Here, far too much E-Teat. I can't complain too much, the price one pays.

      Delete
    2. Birds and bugs and such can provide tons of entertainment, which brings me around to: Consider buying emergency foods that the critters like. You can buy bulk sunflower seeds and so on, and rotate 'em out to the birds and other wildlife. I've mentioned picking up 100+ lbs of fancy-schmancy made-in-Italy spaghetti, but thankfully dried pasta really does last decades at least in the dry climate of my loft it will.

      I know a guy, a street musician, who I like to help out so I'm trying to gift him a package of the spaghetti a week, as he's told me he does a lot of his own cooking.

      I also came across 50 lbs or so of muesli bars. They're not bad, although on my low-carb diet I won't eat them and no other humans I've asked want them, but the crows like 'em fine so I toss a few out for the crows each night for them to eat in the morning when they're the hungriest.

      Living out where there's actual wildlife where you are, I think this is a good idea. All sorts of nuts and grains and things both you and critters like, cycle out the older stuff to the critters so you've always got X time of fresh stuff, and when the Blessed Doomsday all those of the Prepper Religion(tm) comes, you can harvest critters too.

      Delete
    3. It somehow seems wrong eating your entertainment. Of course, two weeks after my Spam runs out I'm sure I'll think differently :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the mention. You must have been desperate for subject matter. You do seem to write for fun, but your chosen topics are seriously tantalizing.

    We live in southeastern Oklahoma, and yes, it is humid. Humid equates to moisture.

    How about something in the future, or a prediction I guess, what you actually see happening after let's say, next summer? Things should be hot before the election 13 months from now.

    A side note. I was born and raised in Dallas and was downtown the day Kennedy was shot. About a block away. Therefore, I don't want to be anywhere near or around our current leader. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

    Again, thanks for the mention. Now go out and walk.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, a desperate for subject writing day on this one. You know, I'm having a hard time getting worked up over the next election. I think it because I expect a far more serious economic event to take place prior. Which I guess ties in, as they might slip in another Obammy on us while we are worried sick about our jobs and the price of food. Last few morning walking were below freezing. My lungs are seriously impacted this year, compared to past. I need to start walking later in the morning, dammit! It is so peaceful out at 4:30 AM, and the blood flow helps with writing. Not sure how I'll resolve that.

      Delete
    2. Dear Fand F: I live in so Cal. I don't like humidity so I think that rules out OK. Congratulations to you for living in the only state that went 100% county by county for DJT in '16, or close to 100%. Your state house is solid Red, more than TX and more than AZ, which is why moving to those states is futile, as a Californian would know a thing or two about one party rule and futility. I worry, however, and wonder if you do as well about the possibility of migration north into OK and the political effect of the demography.

      I did like Norman in '83, my only time in OK, and I like the Sooners except when they play USC. Any thoughts about relocating? Thanks.

      Delete
    3. Not to answer for F&F, just a quick butt-in. A lot of the state is dry, going west. Look up neat the panhandle, lots of rivers, seems like very few folks. Just looking at a map, unknown details.

      Delete
    4. Well, Jim, I just read a reply on another blog where I got chastised, politely, for even hoping for Trump and Republicans, and i agree with the guy. Hope is a tough thing to let go of.

      So, watch the transition from dreamer to hard realist.

      My son wants me to jump in his car and move him and his cats to northeast Long Island. God, I wish he would not go there, but it's his life.

      Delete
    5. I like cat people. Hopefully his new place has a doggy door for them, so they can escape after the home invasion, and live on the crows eating corpses. Not to wish anything bad, but, you are correct. Has to be one of the worst places to go.

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    7. Well, it will only catch fire once, SHTF...:)

      Delete
    8. Hi, Thomas. Thank you for the question.

      As James answered, the western part of the state is dry and the eastern part is humid. Picture Texas. The eastern part of the state is heavy vegetation, the western part is mostly desert.

      Oklahoma is conservative and the areas vary from the bigger towns to the rural areas. Where we live in southeastern Oklahoma, parts of the year are very humid, which equates to moisture, which equates to growing things. I would rather have a nice humid meal than an extremely dry dust and sage burger. We all have to make choices in life. Nowhere is perfect.

      If you are considering moving from California to Oklahoma leave the California ways in California. Oklahoma is not broken, it doesn't need fixing. Come take a look. Spend lots of money while you're here.

      Take care, Frank

      Delete
    9. Thanks, Frank. I can't effect change in California, I'm not interested in effecting change in OK. Imports changed my state. Wherever I wind up living, I won't be bringing those imports with me.

      Delete
  3. re:
    R. A. Wilson and Shea

    Horridly-awful rubbish.
    The series was highly-recommended as a 'change-my-life'.
    It did; I changed my definition of time-wasters, investing in pursuing worthy achievable goals instead of listening to dope-fiends and know-it-all commonists.
    .
    .
    re:
    prep burn-out

    Some of us... would like to achieve burn-out.
    Some of us... might appreciate the forced restrictions of only acquiring one firearm a month.
    Unfortunately, some of us qualify as delusionally-obsessive compulsive prep purchasers.
    Some of us... would long for a weekend not scheduled full of training and rehearsals and imagining the worst from the neighbors and the goofballs squatting in the bushes around the perimeter of the farm.
    Because sooner or later, everybody has to eat, some of us... obsessively participate in cooking classes about nutrition disguised as tasty.

    Oh, and speaking of cooking classes, Tuesday, we made Spaghetti Squash Pizza Boats and Sweet Potato Brownies.
    .
    .
    Who saw the meme about 'canned goods' showing stacks of identical ammo cans?

    The shelves in our two Conex and our two cargo trailers and our off-site mini-storages have plenty of room.
    I don't have a problem.
    I can quit anytime I want.
    Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of banning you from ever mentioning food again. I usually want to vomit. :( I've tried to go back and read Wilson again, and can never seem to get into it. But for a nineteen year old clueless twat from Magic-Land Cali, it was eye opening. Broadening the horizons. I don't care for "Monkeywrenching" or "Ecotopia" any more either. But again, broadening. Saw the meme-loved it.

      Delete
  4. I just opened A jar of JIF that I bought in 12/09. Tastes perfectly fine to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience has been with generic, and just in the last few years.

      Delete
    2. I get whatever brand, store or name brand, when it goes on sale for $1 a jar. Maybe the major players do something different. It could also be our storage area (60 degree with little extra moisture due to dirt floor)

      Delete
    3. God knows what "new and improved" ingredients they use. GMO oil plants? An even cheaper oil than soy? The hydrogination ( sp ) process different?

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED