Saturday, October 12, 2019

prepper rock stars


PREPPER ROCK STARS
You know who I'm talking about, the survivalist guru's who lead the perfect life with the perfect plan for preppers. Those we are all supposed to emulate. I think this crap started with fallout shelters. Not that the poorest worker couldn't have one, as the Civil Defense folks published a lot of decent plans for do-it-yourself, but the Money Envy aspect of it must have been a factor, with store bought versus homemade. But it really kicked into high gear with Mel Tappon. While older folks were smart enough to appreciate a homemade shelter, the newer ones seemed to feel they needed Mel's arsenal.
*
( As an aside, I was writing the above and had a Blond Geriatric moment and forgot Mel's name. I was futzing about the Internet trying to search for it, as I had ALSO forgot his books names, and stumbled on a discussion on a gun forum. Mostly the discussion was on the lost relevance of Mel's books, being outrageously outdated, and some schmuck goes on about how Mel was off on his timetable and hence one shouldn't prep too much and should just focus on financial preparations. I almost vomited blood )
*
( I don't know if this needs an extra article all on its own, but I'll be content here to interrupt this one. I don't know if this guy was just a Yuppie Scum, thinking money solved most problems, a paid wanker for the central bank or just an idiot who had no business touching on survivalism as it was a subject he had no understanding on. First, who could be blamed for the thinking the end was nigh, after the 70's? And second, after all the false alarms since then, who preps unless they truly think the system itself is unstable, no timetable needed? )
*
I don't know why we feel the need to follow the rich. Obviously, this goes back way before the modern Oil Age. The rich, to set themselves apart from the poor, spreading their peacock feathers to attract the best mates. Certain poor, or at least Not Rich, find a way to pretend to also be rich by duplicating the original feature that the rich used, be it using expensive spices at a dinner party or getting one of those newfangled Horseless Carriages. Then the cycle starts all over again as the rich find a new way to look really rich.
*
But in the meantime the rich figured out how to profit off of the old trend the idiot poor are still trying to use to attract a better breeder. Look at two examples, cars and real estate. Poor people are spending way more than is healthy trying to live in southern California, alongside the rich. The rich think nothing of spending ten million on a home, then investing in another home and then charging rent to the poor of $3k a month. All because the idiots wouldn't move away. It isn't like the rich didn't send a strong warning signal, through rising prices.
*
And did you have to start me on automobiles? Since the 1970's, FIFTY friggin years ago, the auto lifestyle that the rich started has been a losing paradigm. The poor, instead of moving, which any of them could do with a piece of junk land and a Greyhound ticket, stay around in a location requiring a car. So the rich make insurance mandatory, double the price of a vehicle, make them last half as long, and STILL the poor keep driving. Even when Saudi Arabia is bombed, they still keep driving. I mean, the writing isn't just on the wall, it is in huge neon letters, spelled phonetically so the rankest idiot among them can figure it out. STOP driving!!!
*
I guess I just answered my own question. The poor, and that is anyone that HAS to work, LOVE emulating the rich. They cannot stop. They can't help themselves. Some little voice camped down south in their pair of whitey-tighties is hollering about getting the most expensive piece of pussy they can find. Not just “get laid”, but “get laid to the nicest looking piece of ass I can find”. Stupid humps. There is pussy all over the place, willing and able to be yours if you just stopped looking at the Playboy Bunny models.
*
Sorry, ladies, if I'm being a bit crass. I think we can both agree that fat and ugly bitches need loving too. And there are a whole lot more fat and ugly out there than there are Beautiful People. Hell, I'm not pretty by any definition, and I sure don't have money. I appreciate fat and ugly. Which is just superficial anyway. Just like most folks who race after good looks or trying to impress people by what their possessions look like.
*
You THINK having a car makes you look successful. It just makes you broke, or at the very least indentured longer. And the only reason you can even drive cheaply, besides your mechanical skills, is that there is everyone else out there trying to look rich, who provide you with cheap cars. You think you are rich, profiting off that poor schmuck trying to look rich by driving. You are STILL trying to look rich. Do you realize “I'll quit driving when I have to” sounds a lot like “I can stop drinking any time I want to”.
*
So why am I surprised that DRIVERS! ( said in the same snide tone coastal yuppies use on Deplorables when they say BREEDERS! ) would also try to look rich in their prepping endeavors? Is that why there are Prepper Rock Stars, the fact that survivalism is like any other activity where one economic class tries to emulate the other? Oh, look at me, my closet full of canned food and a hunting rifle. I am preppared for the apocalypse! No, no, girls, look at ME! I have MRE's and semi-auto's, I am truly a more worthy life mate!
*
And why are we even trying to out spend each other? Women have probably already surpassed males in earnings ( don't you dare cry about Glass Ceilings, you ingrate bitches! Everyone's wagers are stagnant to falling. Take men's wages, subtract the marriage tax, subtract future loses due to lack of college, and you all earn more and hold more positions ). The last two wives I had to support were either gold diggers or unemployable from medical issues alcoholics. Among NORMAL women, few need our wages.
*
Yes, I understand that human hardwiring is not going to change. Underneath the superficial culture currently in place, we are still bare assed savages. Women are still going to be selected on looks and men will still compete with each other for that. In the meantime, before culture is restored to regularity, realize the limitations your programming is having on you in our present environment. Your wired desire for the nicest pair of boobs ( hmmm, boobs! ) is seeing you do stupid crap like buy freeze dried foods, semi-automatics and four wheel bug out vehicles. STOP IT!!! Continued tomorrow.
( .Y. )
( today's related Amazon link click HERE )
*
note: a common complaint on having a Forever Arsenal in black powder was the insane gun price.  This seems a LOT more reasonable, a kit for $260 at Midway click HERE ( on sale as I posted this.  Regular price is $330 ).  If you wanted flintlock, that is almost double the price, unfortunately.  But you can get a cap maker HERE and the same company sells primer liquid ( at about 1cent per for the rimfire-not sure what it would take for this BP rifle.  But with the maker and liquid we are talking cheap to stockpile tens of thousands of percussion caps )
*
note: under the "everyone is entitled to act like an idiot" department, the Green Mountain Dude thinks the communists are being threatened by fascists, and tells them all to attack anyone not Politically Correct click HERE .  Good Gravy, Hippies are something else.  I guess in Clown World, the exact opposite is reality.  Well, he still gives a mean dose of prepper advice.  You just need to ignore his politics ( and me personally, I'll ignore his Gore Warming warnings, as they are mostly based on ignoring solar inputs )
*
note: JRG-many thanks for the awesome snail mail donation
*
note: free for today books.  It says "dystopian & post-apoc" which means, given they are all female writers, probably just dystopian with lots of "feelers".  But, the novel collection is 1600 pages, so it will keep you out of trouble as you would otherwise solicit on the street corner for spare ammo HERE.  If you want a nuke war story, if a bit short, HERE
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon links here ( or from http://bisonprepper.com/2.html or www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods ( I get 4% of the Amazon sale, so you need to buy $25 worth for me to get my $1 ) or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book ( web site for free books, Amazon to pay just as a donation vehicle ).
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free. I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio* my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

28 comments:

  1. What is your or anyone else's opinion of:
    http://www.anonymousconservative.com/blog/

    I like the theory of Evolutionary Psychology (r/K) that he wrote about but he stopped focusing on that after Trump got elected.

    Now he believes Trump really is going to Make America Great Again. It surprises me because the r/K theory indicates massive disruptions and changes as we go from r to K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we all long for a Last Minute Save? Perhaps Trump was his Pessimist Salve. I followed the site for awhile but I just couldn't do it after awhile.

      Delete
  2. Good post as always, Jim.

    If people don't learn to be frugal in good times when credit is easy and so is chapter 10 (or 8 or 7, not sure), how do they expect to survive in a Hobbesian state of nature? You are on to it!

    And that damn penis brain! Mad Men have made a fortune because of it.

    Now that Green Mountain Dude is a blowhard, untethered, unthinking, and clearly seeking followers from a wide spectrum when truth is always found on the narrow road, and usually the most unpopular road. The one where if you dare to take it, people will hate you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell, even among friends here, my anti-semi, anti-car, Peak Oil stance brings a lot of hate. A little "unpopular road" is fine, but I'm really pushing the envelop! In a way, it's good though.

      Delete
    2. Was just over at the green mountain doods site this morning after not being there for a couple months and I have to ask, "Did he take a hit to the side of the head?", or what? I started on his current post and had to bail.

      There's such a thing as living frugal while still making as much money as possible. Many wealthy people got wealthy by being frugal. I read once where Warren Buffet is very frugal. In a money driven economy it is always better to have more than you need. Or, said another way, need less than you have. You'll appreciate this when the bottom falls out and everything costs 100X as much.

      Never forget Murphy. No matter how much you prepare, when the collapse is past tense you invariably will desperately need something you didn't plan for, and stockpile. Medications for severe pain for example. Old coins. Lots of old coins, pre 1960's stuff.

      Delete
    3. Green Dude was fine, right up to this post, with the exception awhile back on that series of weirdness-I can't recall. It wasn't really prepper related. I don't want to say "permaculture" but something close. Anyway, give the others a try. Lots of good info.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I'll go back in a day or two and scroll down to some older stuff. Like I said, hadn't been there in awhile so....

      Delete
    5. With respect Thomas, you're being too hard on C5. In fairness, his article was strange but if you read back a few posts, he'd played with the idea of writing about violence. Maybe he's just having a difficult time writing exactly what he meant. My experience is that people who have used vilolence have trouble talking about it.

      I'd still have a drink with the bloke!

      Delete
    6. Also to be fair, look at all the good things he has done. Bicycle cargo haulers. That counter balanced windmill tower. Alerting us to that Brit TV show on the old timey farmers. The "Survivalist" TV show on YouTube so you could watch for free. He is a lot different than the norm.

      Delete
    7. Klaus, I agree with ya, and realized soon after posting that I should have not been judgmental based on one reading, even before people here pointed out the good stuff he has written about.

      Delete
  3. "a common complaint on having a Forever Arsenal in black powder was the insane gun price. This seems a LOT more reasonable, a kit for $260 at Midway”


    I just had a look at that link. That’s a hell of a good price, even for a kit. If it were for forever gun intentions, I’d spend the extra $150 for the flintlock version.

    I think that the main complaint was when it came to the flintlock musket. For some reason, you can’t even begin to touch one of those things for under a $1k. I’d rather have the flintlock musket though, because it’s both a long gun (At under a 100 yards) and a shotgun.

    Funny, but I don’t think that I’ve ever read anything by Tappan? Looks like he died way back in 1980. I read a lot of the Donald though (Of the Eugene Sisco variety, Aka Kurt Saxon. He hates it when I call him that :D ) when first discovering the grand magazine by the name of Loompanics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Tappon On Survival" is free on PDF from many sources. Just do a search.

      Delete
    2. Here's a non-glossy version here:
      http://www.giltweasel.com/stuff/Tappan%20on%20Survival.pdf

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to eat bread every day, almost every meal. All my bread is at least 50% acorn flour now. It taste better than straight wheat. I also now am raising rabbits, quail, and chicken. I have collected black walnut, pecan, acorn, wild apple, persimmon, and rose hips from my land. I grew potato, onion, and carrot this year and had a good crop. I use the STUN garden system.(sheer, total, utter neglect.) Anything I can grow, harvest, or gather means less money I need to make, which to me equals more freedom.











      Delete
    2. Yeah, if I could go back even fifteen years I would have chosen Food Production over other considerations. I envy you on that. But, my Least Worst choices at the time...no one to blame but myself.

      Delete
    3. Hey Demented Guy,
      Any rabbit info would be appreciated if you get time to write. Where did you get initial rabbits, what type, housing/watering/feed details.

      If you have butchered one yet, do you eat most or all in one meal? Do you have refrigeration?

      Are the persimmons a tree that was naturally growing on ypur land already? The only persimmon that does well in my far south locale is the Black Sapote.

      STUN system is hilarious and definitely my default technique. As each year goes by, I increasingly favor perennials that don't need me to baby them.

      Great job on the deer.
      S

      Delete
  5. You stockpile food IN CASE of collapse.
    You stockpile money IN CASE it doesn't.
    You have to have money to stockpile food, ammo, and other things you need.
    How is this arguable?
    Is it really a bad thing to have a few thousand dollars laying around for back up?

    Suppose you recognize 2 legged animals for the tyrants they are and choose to locate yourself a long distance from them, meaning you HAVE to have a vehicle or two, is that so wrong?

    I could never live in a suburban area again as I would be caged or killed inside of 24 hours. So I guess I am doomed for the rest of my life to stockpile as much of everything I need or want and strike deals with a small group of people for services, products, and money, as I see no other alternative. All the reading in the world won't change reality. We iz who we iz.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone needs a rainy day money fund. And I agree that a car with no people is better than no car and people. What irritates me is the attitude that a car is a necessity. I don't disagree with the act of ownership as much as the attitude.

      Delete
    2. If you're not mechanically inclined you would need to know someone that is in order to do what I'm going to say.

      You have to have a small business and pay income tax too.

      Get a used vehicle in good shape for about $5k and minimum insurance should cost less than $500 per year.

      On your tax return you say the vehicle has LESS miles than it does, and then you enter the inflated miles you have driven that vehicle the past year for business purposes. I don't remember the amount the IRS uses for credit, I think around 43 cents per mile. That amount is a business expense and lowers your tax obligation. If you do it right your vehicle won't cost you a thing.

      You do this same thing with your domicile, but since domiciles are bigger and more expensive you have more money to play around with. THAT is how you reduce your $2k a month mortgage payment to less than a thousand. An on and on. There are lots of ways to game the system and have IT making money for YOU. Oh yeah, since 1986 when I first became self employed not once has the IRS audited me. They go after the big fish and let the minnows alone, unless they get totally stupid and/or greedy. Every single facet of the gov't is much, much stupider and lazier than the average citizen.

      Delete
    3. The gov even MORE stupid than the average person? Jesus, how can you lower the bar from there? :)

      Delete
    4. Ghost Sniper is correct, you can write off a ton of shit if you're self employed. You can't get completely nuts on it but you can pay the same taxes as someone making 1/3 as much who works at a regular job.

      Delete
    5. 2018 is 54.5 cents per mile. My wife cuts hair and I'm figuring out taxes today. Waste of my life.

      Delete
    6. Correct, you can't get crazy with it and you have to stay focused. Each year I bump all the numbers up by about 10% but I also stagger them so it doesn't "look" like I did that.

      There is a downside though, but they are rare. In 2002 I had to pay a lawyer $18k to deal with a problem, and I could NOT write that off as a business expense as that would have been a red flag to the IRS and could have caused an audit. The very last thing you want are those mafia criminals nosing around in your business. Ask Martha Stewart. They have a million ways to trip you up.

      But yeah, if you keep your wits about you you can "make" money where everyone else gets robbed. The best advice I can give to anyone is to become self employed, at least in part, as it will reveal opportunities that you wouldn't have other wise. It really is the secret to getting ahead financially.

      Delete
  6. “Here's a non-glossy version here:
    http://www.giltweasel.com/stuff/Tappan%20on%20Survival.pdf”


    Thanks for the link GS. I’m reading through it now. The forward is by one of the author’s of Lucifer’s Hammer. That’s quite an endorsement. Never read Mel before, but am interested in his take on all this. Sounds as if he had about as much hope for civilization, as did Kurt Saxon. Can’t say that I blame them. It is inevitable, it’s just a matter of timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll find it rather dated, yet at the same time pretty close to the standard tropes of today. His PS Letter, 1975 ( or was it 77? ), has both gun reviews AND a squealing warning on gun control. No one changed the formula since then.

      Delete
  7. JRG here - you are welcome for the donation sir, hope it comes in handy. Money well spent.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED