Tuesday, October 8, 2019

old dudes suck


OLD DUDES SUCK
I was going to continue with the “CW To Collapse” series, and I most certainly will as I'm enjoying it, but last night I got a rather unprecedented four hours sleep, with an extra half hour after that of cat napping. I feel like a commie Leftard trying to think past her programming, purple hair smoking from the effort to process fitting two opposite ideas together ( I was going to use the example of the meme with Muslims and women but I'm so loopy I can't recall it ). “Well, don't write today, dumbass”. I never called in sick to work.
*
Well, okay, I did a few times twenty-five years ago. The company insisted on sending their people to stores NOT in their neighborhood, I believe to cut down on “friend discounts”, which was silly because you meet people at your new store, but whatever since they paid a minimum of 50% over all competitors. Gas was $1 and you could find decent running cars for $500 all day long. Ah, the 90's. So, when I had car trouble, I just called in sick. They had people on standby to cover sick days and such. My store didn't suffer.
*
And once, I was pretty damn sick and I thought that the half hour drive would be too dangerous with my uncontrolled cough and dredging up of mucus. I think that was about the only time I ever really called in sick. I'd drag my ass in with a fever so high I was warm in minus fifteen degrees ( any brain damage I have can be attributed to my twin practices of refusing even aspirin-I no longer am that stubborn-as I spurned all drugs and breaking a fever by piling on the blankets ). I might put in a short day, bare minimum stuff, then go home early, but I never didn't show up for being sick.
*
All those people I infected? You are welcome. I just built up your immunity, however weakened by cocaine and syphilis it was. I tell you, I am a god among mere mortals. So, however incoherent and shoddy this article might be, I write it as it is necessary to keep discipline and work ethic alive ( yes, I know what you are going to say. “Isn't every day an incoherent mess of babble?” You might have a point, but in polite society we allow others the safe space of their illusions ). Besides, Tuesday is usually a double article writing day and I must already drop one of those. I dare not skip both.
*
I'm praying that waking up early and being unable to fall back asleep-usually no big deal-and that was after several days of less sleep, is not going to be a new regular occurrence. I kind of need a clear head to get through each day. It is one thing to just get six hours and then take a half hour nap, but getting less than six is quite another. Hopefully it was just the house being too warm as we turned on the furnace yesterday ( first snow on the 28th ).
*
I'm already having enough health issues. Last week, it was raining one day, but warm. I went walking. On the next day, it was raining and near freezing, so I didn't walk. Instead I got on the exercise bike. The day after, I was going to go biking as there was no rain ( this new Gore Warming extra rain for our location is great, but will take getting used to ) but the tire was flat.
*
And a brand new tube. Don't get me started on the old Green Slime tubes ( the new, way thicker, 50% more expensive ones look great but I'm using up my older, thinner ones first, replacing them as I go. More important to use a post-apocalypse superior tube than one today when Amazon still delivers ). NOL told me to take her car and I had a moment of weakness and agreed. Then, the day after THAT I can't remember why but I didn't walk. Three days not walking, compared to the regular one day off a week to rest.
*
My back started killing me. I knew better, because I've had the issue before. I always have to keep the lower back muscles toned ( I have curvature of the spine and exercise is the best medicine ). However, I NEVER had a bad back after skipping JUST two days. Let myself go for months, yes, but it never hit me this quick so hard. It took another five days of walking with sit-ups thrown in to get the pain to go away ( pain, plus, worries of my back “going out” ).
*
The week before that, I had been skipping one of my two morning whole wheat Nuke Breads. I was burned out and needed a break. Sometimes the same crap meal after meal, day after day just wears me down ( I don't like anything on it but salt and butter. I've tried many different things to change up the taste-none work ). I guess time got away from me and I went a whole week. That last day, I was getting dangerous energy level plunges. I was eating plenty of calories, but I wasn't eating the right type. My body needed the whole grain starch/sugars.
*
And not only did I get that energy drop, they are much more severe than they used to be. So bad, it is better to avoid them by any means. I have to start shoveling food in and not stop until I stop feeling nauseous and can get up from sitting. So I try to eat before I get hungry ( I can already tell this is NOT going to go over well after the apocalypse, these sudden energy drops ). Still a few months to go to age 55 and I already need to eat like I'm 70.
*
Here is my point. Getting old means you suck ass physically. I know that, as this isn't my first bout of deterioration. I'm just surprised it is coming on so suddenly now, without the warning signs I've been used to. I know a lot of you are older. I'm not trying to teach my grandma how to suck eggs. I know you know what I know. This is just a warning to the younger minions. Not only must you race the clock prepping because the collapse cometh, you must also race to get it completed before you get so old you cannot put in any more sweat equity.
( .Y. )
( today's related Amazon link click HERE )
*
note: dude! Sweet PayPal donation.  Thank you much, GS.
*
note: free for today book, zombies, HERE 
*
note: if you are an economics nerd, you'll love "The Robin Hood Of Wall Street", Gregory Mannarino HERE .  Not really a Doomer, just a trader who is no BS
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon links here ( or from http://bisonprepper.com/2.html or www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods ( I get 4% of the Amazon sale, so you need to buy $25 worth for me to get my $1 ) or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book ( web site for free books, Amazon to pay just as a donation vehicle ).
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free. I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio* my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

34 comments:

  1. True too, all of it. I have to grunt and groan laboring away at tasks more so nowadays as I get more gray hairs. I just pace myself, take a few union breaks sitting on my arse awhile throughout the project, or just quit earlier and finish later on. Your body clock and diet requirements will change from workforce to semi retired mode, as well as becoming geriatric-ish. I pop awake after just a few hours of sleep, and just catnap later on. Eat simple one or two times a day and good to go. No big deal to it all, keep a semi routine for phsychological reinforcements of norms and basic daily tasks. Old Guys, due to many variables are scary dangerous even with infirmities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old guys are dangerous because we are pissed at the broken social contract, to include lack of proper medical care, hurt enough to not care if they die, and the idiots gave us a firearm a fifty pound child can carry and fire, so as to arm the ARVN's, then the Diversity Hires. If all else fails a lot of them probably know how to arm a wheelchair to blow. The Gray Panthers ( did I get that from "Ecotopia"? Not sure )

      Delete
    2. "Old Guys, due to many variables are scary dangerous even with infirmities."

      Very true and really resonates with my 60+ year pld body.

      An old saying, most often attributed to John Steinbeck:
      "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

      Delete
  2. The age variable--very good, Jim, and thanks for shedding light on it. I hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I don't focus enough on Old Humper prepping ( without cheating with Oil Age products ). Yeah, I took two naps that day just to get through, lazed about watching a lot of YouTube. Not sure I retained a damn thing. Slept fine the next night, and since. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Never tried the Slime in my 29’er bicycle tires. But I’ve tried it in our wheelbarrows, garden tractors, etc, and it’s pretty much always let us down. My mother got this stuff for her garden tractor, that literally had daily flats, by the name of Tireject™. Never heard of it, but I added it to the tires, and there hasn’t been a flat tire since (Knock on wood).

    https://www.amazon.com/TireJect-Tire-Sealant-Kit-prevent/dp/B07D5M1TGJ

    In my 29’er, I used the stop flats 2 tire liners. Admittedly, I don’t ride the hell out of it, since I’m still on my original tires since 2014. But I ride it enough that even trying to avoid the goatheads (Nature’s Caltrops) I still manage to pick up a few here and there. I’ve never had a flat! Are there better tire liners? Could be? But these are the only version that I have ever tried. YMMV.

    These days, you can also get the armored tires (Such as Tannus Armour). Probably not a bad investment if a bicycle is your main form of transportation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think those Tannus dudes are the best of all worlds. I've put them on my wish list. Slime is Just Okay. In bikes. My wheelbarrow? Never any luck either.

      Delete
  4. An element to the aging and it's linkage to prepping. By doing many manual tasks yourself due to forced frugality, (not yuppie outsourcing your man tasks to hired help) you are keeping some level of fitness and abilities even as one ages along. When collapsey arrives I intend to be spry enough to at least be the grayed crazy uncle amongst the Wolverines raiding parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forced activity does suck, but living the same length feeling okay rather than Like Crap is a reward all its own.

      Delete
  5. The only way I feel alive is to get a good sweat going. I feel better for a couple of days afterwords.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our hearts, like women, appreciate being abused :)

      Delete
  6. re:
    meme of women and mohammedans

    Cripes.
    I wasted ten minutes looking through a few dozen.
    And not one was disrespectful enough.

    *****

    re:
    back pain

    I am a Physical Therapist.
    Often, back pain has nothing to do with injuries or strain from lifting or moving wrong.
    The nerves of the stomach and gut lead to the spine, and an overload of incorrect foods ("poisons") burns that nerve route, causing a sympathetic reaction among the muscles in that area as a warning to stop eating / change the diet / drink more water.

    But you know your body better than me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I say curvature, I mean I had a back brace for three years as a teen. Not to say my diet doesn't cause other problems. I think the meme was "Muslims Are Right About Women". It is a way for the PC crowd's heads to explode.

      Delete
    2. The way I heard it was, "Islam is right about women".

      Delete
  7. Lord Bison, I understand. I am 64.

    There are pros and cons of being older.
    Pro: better understanding of human nature.
    Con: more physical pain and less energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pro-my hair looks even better. Con-my wrinkled spotted face doesn't go well with that hair :(

      Delete
  8. If you have major land preps like building a structure DIY or fencing virgin land, consider being 30 years old or younger OR being fit. Because starting that nonsense after you are 50 and an office drone will kick your butt very well. Your sore muscles will hurt, joints will pop and national shortages of Ibuprofen will result. That shit takes a village, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in superb shape mid to late 40's when I did mine, and that ability stopped not too long after I turned 50. Drastically downsize, say from home to small cabin, and you can do it somewhat. Just accept limitations. I never considered an excavator back then, but that is the only way it would get done, now.

      Delete
  9. Indeed, the speed that "old age" hits is shocking. I was surprised at 50 how well I was getting on, still ready for kicking ass and taking names, hit 51 a mere 4 months ago and already feeling a harsh decline and my sleep has gone to hell... I've been walking about 3 miles a day, 5 days a week and take the stairs a lot. Increased protein in the diet and trying to get consistent with vitamins, just in case. And yet the gut gets bigger, the lungs more strained and most mornings the joints cry out in a chorus of pain with the accompanying percussion of all the snaps, crackles and pops! I'm focused on the silver lining that all this continued discomfort is just gonna make me meaner and give even less of a f**k, come what may.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to Thumbs Up your symptoms, but I was beginning to feel like I was an idiot and was doing something wrong. Ours closely match except for the joint pains. I don't have those ( knock on wood ). I credit all the whole wheat for that :)

      Delete
  10. I feel yours and all the other old guys pain. I’m 52+ and the past year feel like I’m falling apart. I’m trying supplements, quit drinking (one thing I enjoyed) trying to hang on. I can’t do 1/2 the work anymore so it takes twice as long. But I do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really miss being able to dig. Not that I liked it, but it solved a lot of problems. If I could have redone the earth tube trench, I might have been able to con the NOL into moving off grid.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you be raising water moccasins?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. You have two years before anything serous goes awry, then maybe at most an additional two before you have to start acting like an old humper. No, I would NOT delay. Copperheads-shudder! Meeting a snake as big as me ( so it seemed at the time ) as a wee lad, about six, I've never thrown my fear of them

      Delete
    4. Hmmm , I moved another eight thousand pounds of crushed concrete yesterday...then was forced to collapse into the lazyboy , around four pm, totally drenched in sweat too lol.
      Just get de funked and boots off...then the neighbor calls, saying " you got a minute ? "
      Says I , well I'm in swim trunks and flip flops. Says he...I need a hand helping flip an 8'x 4' sheet of eighth inch steel.
      Now, how many times have I told this dude my back is fractured in three places fer Christ's sake. Not to mention the pound and a half of titanium holding my pelvis together,... But he's only thirty-five and still does not understand 65 year old dudes that are all fucked up and weight limited. He only See's me doing stuff like moving all that concrete...ten pounds per shovel full !!
      Orthopedic surgeon warned me to never lift more than 25 lbs, or his repair job might fail...
      HA !! I guess all my self induced therapy is working and building muscles.
      That piece of steel way exceeded my limitation...I fully expected to be in a world of hurt this morning.
      Surprisingly , I don't feel too bad...

      Not to brag , no , more so just a reminder that we all can declare ourselves ancient prematurely. Pain having much to do with the slow down.

      Never give up , never give in !
      Truly, you are only as old as you make yourself believe.
      Course, my body is likely to reach critical mass anytime now heh heh.

      Delete
    5. Not to make excuses, but my muscles are great. Except the one pumping blood. Or perhaps it is my lungs. A combo of both? Still pushing it, but also leery. I want to be the guy best in shape for my age grade, but I don't want to be delusional either. One advantage I have is I still believe in the healing powers of butter and red meat :)

      Delete
  12. I grew-up on a farm.
    All four grandparents lived next door.

    Granpa Jack was my tightest mentor.
    Eight years old, eighty-eight years old.
    We ditched around the orchard, we trimmed unproductive limbs then dragged them to a mound for the next bonfire.

    He always had time to show me a caterpillar husk, yellow-jacket communities, bird nests, bad limb joints with potential for destructive breaks.

    2019, I'm a few weeks from 68.
    Instead of me trying to keep up with the neighborhood kids at their pace, we find something interesting to trudge along at my pace.

    Granpa Jack was pretty smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how they made it look so effortless, as we struggle with it. But perhaps some day a little Conehead will be remembering good 'Ol Auntee Large Marge, who took the time to show her how to smell the flowers

      Delete
  13. My Lord, 🦸‍♂️

    Just starting my day with a cup of coffee and reading the news.

    This made me smile. As a lowly minion, 🤩 I knew this was coming, as y'all had talked 'bout it several weeks ago.

    https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/pge-may-have-to-shut-power-down-to-30-california-counties

    Karma... Give her a big ol' kiss, stupid. 🤪
    Ya just can't fix it. 💩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably be right more often now. But it doesn't mean I'm any better. Just that the collapse is picking up steam. As much as I love being right though...:)

      Delete
  14. I have a post on this, but we're about a year out for it. Vvvvverrrryyy spicy.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED