Monday, May 29, 2017

panic plan


PANIC PLAN
*
note: if you get Amazon Prime, you might like the movie "The Girl With All The Gifts".  A step above your average zombie film.  Hang in there the first thirty minutes, it starts out slow.  And see if you can figure out the blatant PC message at the end.
*
Now, when again were you planning on panicking?  Some things you don’t need to panic all that early about.  I moved to Florida to be near my young children, but my deciding factor was that it was a great Y2K retreat due to the lack of winter weather ( I would not have followed them to one of their other locations such as Dearborn Michigan ).  I knew it was going to one day be underwater due to Gore Warming ( well, I didn’t KNOW, but I strongly suspected ) but I was in no panic to leave there because of that.  I stayed five years.  Then moved to the capital of Nevada, which I knew was not a long term viable location due to its population ( for those you living in, say, Los Angeles, Carson City is anything other than overpopulated but to me it was.  Even if I had just left crowded coastal Florida.  The desert areas tend to jam their populations right on top of each other near the watering hole whereas in the East things spread out.  I felt more claustrophobic than before ) but also, was not so panic inducing that I felt I needed to leave immediately.

*

Weather Weirding is nothing new.  I had yet to sarcastically attach Global Warming with its first politician pimp daddy while in Florida but you could easily see how the place very well COULD be underwater soon ( I hadn’t come across the research yet on how Florida was completely submerged only 14,000 years ago ).  It was a very good indicator of where not to live, just as the Yellowstone super volcano may never happen in our lifetime but it sure isn’t what I want in my overpriced backyard.  Why pay a mortgage if your house will soon be a coral reef or under hardened ash?  Now, I don’t care for all the Hopium being smoked in the permaculture punks paradigm ( oh, look, if we just compost and plant organically in our back yard located in a megopolise, it will teach others to do the same and the Earth with over six billion too many will be saved! ), which gives far too much false promise, but I also acknowledge that there is plenty of time and really no need to panic just yet ( and what good would it do?  Yes, you need practice to make a farmer but no, you can’t pick the right spot if your climate change hypothesis is correct.  The historical crop records will become moot ).

*

Where I start to get irritated is when folks go about ignoring economic and energy issues.  They dismiss economic concerns with false hope ( the other political party will save us-ah, okay, how has that worked out for you so far? )( well, we’ve always recovered from a Depression before ) and they completely dismiss energy problems ( Fracking will save us all, forever, just like The Hydrogen Economy and the Ethanol Infrastructure did before it! ).  Where does one start with that?  I’ve discussed this before ad nausium.  The last five centuries was colonial resource extraction moving the economies, not capitalism or American Freedom.  At some point with exponential population growth it didn’t occur to anyone that a finite planet would start to run out of everything?  That is already baked into the cake.  We are already scrapping the bottom of the barrel for everything except pollution and people.  Please refer back to one of the best military sci-fi films of all time, Aliens ( the second one. Alien, the first, was just horror.  The second was another James Cameron masterpiece.  Like his Terminator was one of the best post-apoc films ever ), and the memorable line, “we’re all going to die, man!”.

*

I can’t help but touch on Peak Oil in nearly all my writing.  Central to everything and everything dependent on petroleum, it is the elephant in the room everyone refuses to acknowledge.  We are wading through waist deep turds and using the trunk as a hat rack.  There is no avoiding the damn thing but we still won’t do anything other than pretend the scat is shag carpet and the lack of available floor space is due to optical illusions.  But I’ll try to skirt around the issue as much as I can.  God forbid I offend any readers, who are here for survivalist advice but stay for the…I have no idea what.  Last year we used 25 billion barrels of oil, and discovered approximately two point five.  Ten percent.  As oil companies are slashing their discovery budgets to keep out of bankruptcy.  But there is no elephant.  Let’s just say that for some bizarre reason the economy keeps getting worse over the last fifty years and while we have recoveries it is one step forward and two steps back and that this just continues.  Wouldn’t you say that from simple observation we can conclude the economy is really friggin bad?

*

Now, here is an important question.  Are economics a Slow Panic problem or a Panic Now issue?  Is it on par with Gore Warming?  Will it blow like Yellowstone, any day now but let’s root for it for during my grandkids life so it’s okay to move right next to it?  Do we have a life time or is time short?  I have no idea, and neither do you, as neither of us has a crystal ball.  But we can make some pretty darn good guesses, can’t we?  How about you just drive down your neighborhood and look at the foreclosed homes.  A decade after the real estate bubble popped.  How about a Google Earth tour of New Orleans or Detroit?  Do you see anything getting better, or does it just keep getting worse?  How about your pay, hours or benefits at work?  Much better?  Come on, people.  We have been in an economic contraction for half a century.  Can we live like this indefinitely, or is it possible that the Bell Curve, the Senega Trap or the Waterfall Collapse could be a more probable outcome? 

*

So why haven’t you panicked? 

PANIC PLAN 2

Let me ask you a question.  Why are you reading this?  Is it to keep you motivated to prep, a daily reminder that all is far worse than reported and you need to stay focused and not fall for the soothing Siren call of optimism?  Or is it for entertainment?  If you are just having a good time here, you might have already panicked and planned and prepped and can now relax and just tweak your plans on a hobby level.  I know I can’t have too much influence either way, after a certain point.  You have either already followed the basics I’ve covered long ago, or know you need to and are doing so ( anyone can, say, buy a bag of wheat a payday ), or figured it all out without my help and are just here for community or e-teet distraction ( so, I can see how you couldn’t possibly fathom why I deserve your paltry financial support of a buck a month ).  I truly hope most of you are just here for the entertainment.

*

I know I’m just spinning my wheels here.  But before I was doing that I was just spinning my wheels at a job with a paycheck.  I kept on the gerbil wheel for no other purpose than enriching those in management, despite their “help” always being a hindrance and their existence overcompensated by 100%.  So now that I’ve focused all my attention here, I might still just be wasting my efforts but at least it is for a slightly more noble goal than putting profits into the pockets of the new fem overlord’s overseers.  What, you think I’m blind to the fact that I just keep covering the same topics over and over again?  Most of our jobs are completely unnecessary, to include mine.  And yours, I would wager a jelly filled donut.  Just think of me as the town crier that never delivers much new in the way of news but is a familiar and comforting presence.  Hey, if you don’t like naval gazing and contemplation you are definitely in the wrong place.

*

Now, unfortunately the whole Crying Wolf thing has been so overdone, as has the counterpoint Optimism Ollie viewpoint, that few know if they should defecate or go blind.  I think the above is a good lens to view yourself.  Are you here out of fear or out of boredom?  If you are bored that means you don’t need to panic because you are all prepped.  I think the fear, warranted or otherwise, is good to get us to act.  I feared often and early and was hence ready for early retirement.  That hadn’t been my intention, of course.  But I’m glad I listened to the crying wolves.  I know our civilization will collapse.  I wouldn’t have poured twenty years into my studying and writing otherwise.  It was never a business but a vocation, which is why I don’t do things like all the others.  Yes, I am holier than them.  But my point is, I lost very little by panicking.  Panicking early was in fact nothing but first class bonuses and special treats.

*

Can you afford to buy any Lee-Enfield’s now?  They are $300-$400 each, but I only spent $500 on four rifles.  Because I panicked early, twenty years ago ( okay, I started buying them twenty years ago and finished ten years ago ).  Find any $500 lots of land lately, other than tax sales?  I did.  Because I bought twelve years ago.  That was when I bought my silver, at $6 an ounce.  I could go on and on.  It wasn’t because I was smarter than you.  You were right, the world didn’t end on my schedule.  I was wrong.  But I’m ready because of it.  And if the world never ends, what have I done wrong?  I’m now working for myself, even if I’m not making enough.  Even that I have no regrets on, as none of us will have money soon enough anyway so I’m just learning to live on even less than expected.  Your niggardliness is actually helping, so wipe that smug look off of your face.  Okay, granted, nobody needs five thousand rounds of ammunition if the world isn’t ending.  But what else could I have done with the money?  Bought a cell phone plan, rented more movies, gone out to eat more often?  I don’t sleep better at night because I spent $10 a plate on dinner and didn’t have to wash the dishes.

*

Not that I’m saying you should panic and prep just for an insurance policy or for retirement.  You should panic prep because the system is obviously crashing.  I’m just saying if everyone is wrong you haven’t gambled and lost.  You win either way.  I’m also saying, why haven’t YOU personally already panicked?  You no longer need a crystal ball.  It is already in the rearview mirror.  When I started writing on survivalism, twenty-five plus years ago, all this prepping stuff was a lot more wild-eyed and suppositional.  Not so much any more.  Now it is historical reporting.  All we can now do is point out the window at Rome burning and talk about bug-out bags.  It isn’t about IF the sucker is going to burn, but at what rate, and that is true to everyone but the most oblivious.  If you are still stuck in a loveless marriage in suburbia surrounded by ghettos and working in a soul crushing job, it isn’t because you think that is a viable position.  It isn’t because you can’t see any options ( what part of this being frugal prepping/rat race escape don’t you understand? ).  It is because you don’t want to change.  The fear of the unknown about finding another mate and how many visitations you’ll get with your kids and what your take home pay will be outweighs your fear of the apocalypse. 

*

Why?  The ex can only metaphorically rape you and skin you alive.  The love and proximity of your ingrate family will not heat or feed you.  And your job will pink slip your ass and leave you defenseless in a near future riot location.  Just saying.

END

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. ***You can support me through Patreon ( go to www.patreon.com/bison )***You can make donations or book purchases through PayPal ( www.paypal.me/jimd303 )

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods or buy a book. If you don't do Kindle, send me a buck and I'll e-mail it to you.  Or, send an extra buck and I'll send you a CD ( the file is in PDF.  I’ll waive this fee if you order three or more books at one time ).  My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184

*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.***   Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

12 comments:

  1. Obviously I panicked long ago and now can rest assured I'll not starve to death in my old age.
    I come here for entertainment it is true.
    Once in awhile that I might add some value with a comment. Anyway hopefully add value...

    That and to gaze into the great haired ones wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that just on my hair alone I should be supported in the style I deserve. Instead, I'll just hang with my homies such as yourself and enjoy myself. Nobody is curing polio here, anyway.

      Delete
  2. Prepping may well be a generational thing. Not an age thing, though, in ten years' hence people in their late thirties won't be prepping at all.

    It's about the last generation who knew the world before computers -and everyhting that is associated with it - took over. Those who came of age in the early to mid Nineties and before, of course).

    This is also not a nostalgia thing (although it always plays a part in everything memory-related). It's jsut that the way the world function today is not sustainable in a number of ways, and thus it will end, and it will end badly. On many levels, not only material, but also in the way we live, in the way we experience time etc.

    I prep because it's the natural thing to do. I used to worry about Hollywood Crises (nukes, "zombies", bird flu etc.) when I started, and then by my late thirties I was only about surviving the continuous impoverishment and keeping my options open.

    We all know this will end is something like a combination of Great Depression, WW2, McCarthysim etc. Our nations all have been there before. Most countries on the planet are hellholes anyway.

    Here, take a look at these people in India, their clothes and their work is exactly (exactly) like it was 10,000 years ago, they still are slaves of Pharao. No Moses for you.

    https://ruralindiaonline.org/articles/visible-work-invisible-women-bricks-coal-and-stone-panel-1/

    That's where we're heading. Any sane person would do anything, something to avoid that. This is what prepping is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long ago did India have an empire? 3k years ago? Longer? I'd say the poverty flows from that civilization crash. THAT is where we are headed.

      Delete
    2. Well it was starting to struggle upwards, then it became a colony of first britania and now the USA (the like the USA as the imperial master only slightly better than britain)

      Delete
    3. I think only upwards in comparison to how low it was. Rome recovered a bit after 1k years but Italy was never able to match or surpass anyone else in the modern empire game, all going back to the initial collapse wiping the resource base out.

      Delete
    4. When the world resets itself, the idear is to become the slave master, the guy holding the whip, not the slave getting whiped.

      As for Empires falling, it was explained to me that when Spain discovered the Americas and brought back the potato, they sealed there doom as the humble spud ment that the northern Europeans now had a better food crop more suited to there colder climate. Untill then empires were clustered around the meditarian were grains could be reliably grown Northern Europe could never really match them economically as there grain crops regularly failed. The Potato changed all that, and not long after the British destroyed the Spanish armada and northern Europe and later her colonies never looked back. Aussie

      Delete
    5. I've never thought of the potato like that. I like it! Thank you. "The Taste Of War", a really good book ( still not finished-it was so good I loaned it to a buddy ), talks about WWII from the perspective of food alone. The potato ensured a lot of calories to an otherwise starving population in almost every country.

      Delete
  3. I say Amen to your comment. I started prepping in the 90's as I couldn't see a way out of the poverty trap with the crappy jobs, the exorbitant rents and the disassociation of social services with what people really needed. Land naturally could provide much more than a monthly rent payment. We did without since birth. Then came Y2K and everyone was panicking. I was ahead of the curve and did stuff no one would even try. I was ostracized, left for mentally challenged, etc. No one got it until decades later. Now THEY are panicking, looking to me for answers. I decided to pursue some college, mainly for info around farming and solar skills and they're looking at me strangley, like, did I give up just when they needed me? Its been a long haul since then and I'm burnt out on prepping and waiting but I'm good. So Ive come full circle, because I now have the luxury of doing so, after busting ass pulling it all together with the necessities. But I paid a price for doing it while raising the kids, giving up all the nice social amenities, the trips, the cars, the clothes, the McMansions they experienced. I've gone through hell and back living primitively on the land that way, without anything. I'm die-hard, cant turn me around and bring me back to civilization. I'm so out in left field. I cant bear to listen to the idiots anymore so I ignore them. But they still want something from me, like a date of collapse or more info, but fuck that. We're so screwed anyway, but they're more screwed. I paid the price for it. My interpretation of life and all that civilization means has so changed. I'm disgusted with the laziness and sloth of all those that say they want to change the world but they cant even shut their electricity off for a night to see how to be more prepared. Fuck'em, they deserve everything that's coming to them, the elitist, selfish, narcissistic assholes who still think they're better than us poor folk, but now with their pristine mushroom farms and stallions for display and Leaf's in the yard. They'll never change, they'll be shitting in their pants when the lights go out. I'm sick of it all, sooo sick of it, I can't tell you. I'm just going to read a book in my sleeping bag and watch it all go down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn-a fellow cynic and hater! Don't leave me.

      Delete
  4. "Why are you reading this? Is it to keep you motivated to prep, a daily reminder that all is far worse than reported and you need to stay focused and not fall for the soothing Siren call of optimism?
    Or is it for entertainment?"

    Both. I
    have some of the basics but know I need far more to even reach your level, much less the more comfortable level of lifestyle I hope for PODA - so daily reminders/ motivation and re-establishing or creating new insights on what is needed on my part is helpful.

    5k rounds of ammo is just a couple years of practicing regularly. So not so much, certainly not a prep to think that one has enough of, at least not truly long term. I should know, before getting my daily carry gun I made certain I was a fair shot and could handle the most common problems. Inside of a year I shot at least 1k rounds at the range. 500 rounds before I bought the gun I wanted. And no, I don't think I am skilled, just passable.

    "If you are just having a good time here, you might have already panicked and planned and prepped and can now relax and just tweak your plans on a hobby level. "

    I don't need to shoot that many rounds as I had now, in that area I feel I panicked a little early. And since other preps take precedent to further increasing security shooting is mostly just a hobby, now, but the other preps (building on the land) are a near full time additional job - one that is helping me burn out a little so I am trying to get the essential done before I take a real break from it and treat the land improvement as a hobby project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell, sounds like you are well on scheduale. Reducing the stress a bit at a time.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED