Saturday, August 17, 2019

signal through the noise 4


SIGNAL THROUGH THE NOISE 4
You all know how I feel about the M-16/AR-15. They started out like crap, and I treated them as such. Alas, you can only go so long ignoring actual Sandbox vets reporting the rifles work just fine, before you start sounding like an idiot. I finally realized that just as it took a couple of tries to make the Lee-Enfield the worlds best bolt action military arm ( yes, yes, how wonderfully accurate your Mauser is. Too bad it doesn't like dirt ), it took a bit to turn the M-16 into a decent shooter. Not that I like the plastic, or the round, but at least the thing keeps shooting now.
*
The AR has two things going for it. It is so popular, parts are dirt cheap. You can indeed go TOO cheap, but by and large you can buy middlin quality so cheap no other gun can compete unless THEY lessen quality. And, “Apparition Weapon”. Don't make me say out loud that which rhymes with “Host Fun”. I'm hoping to bury this subject and hopefully it is ignored by Skynet. The AR is about the only rifle you can build yourself without registration ( well, there are still the AK's, but parts availability is spotty and the skill set is above my abilities.
*
As I said, Turning Purple Nevada outlawed private firearms sales. When they still were allowing them, not much of note was ever available. I SHOULD have bought when I could but I would have overspent and had little of what I wanted. But, I dithered, mostly because the priority was in other things like food and ammo. Not to say I didn't worry. I did. I worried quite a bit. I just had to prioritize. Finally, a divine signal. I ran out of other priorities.
*
When the midwest flooded, I wasn't too worried. I had calories and fat. Not as much protein as I needed or wanted, but at least I knew I had enough of the minimum. I got the great idea to store beans ( more, anyway ), but my heart wasn't really into it. Anything that dictates visiting Wal-Mart more than quarterly, I quickly lose my enthusiasm for. Plus, I got the brilliant idea to freezer freeze dry. That won't work, either, but that is an article for tomorrow ( literally ). The main point is, I wasn't too concerned with buying more food.
*
Okay, no big deal. I've been at that point for some time. But something else happened. I stopped worrying about ammunition! They had a sale for three cent Winchester rimfire, free shipping ( although the monkey semen garglers in the state capital just started charging sales tax on out of state items AND the shipping cost, so that takes the place of shipping cost wise ), and since it wasn't the crappiest like Wal-Mart Remington, I would have felt confident buying it. But I felt no need to. Then, I turned down 303 Brit ammo on sale!
*
I had the money, but finally after lo these many years I felt I had enough. And I'm talking 40 cent rounds of surplus ( the type the sights are designed for, and brass case ) here I was turning down, a mere nickel above the cost from fifteen years ago. I just didn't need any more. I could finally focus back on something else from down the Priority List. Which happened to be unregistered guns for burial. I can't say for sure Trump will actually Red Flag us. He could, or this is just him talking out of his ass as is his wont.
*
But I don't want to take the chance, and I'm tired of it worrying me. My Lizard Brain harasses me something fierce. I don't lose sleep, but I have a hard time concentrating on other tasks when Lizard Brain sets his sights on something. When I didn't have enough food, that is all I could concentrate on. Every weekend, getting more wheat ( and if I am remembering correctly, this was when the cost had soared. Not that I cared about the cost-I cared so little I don't even remember it-but it did force me to pinch pennies elsewhere ).
*
The last year working a real job, all I could concentrate on was saving every spare dollar ( once again, finances at work were tight and I worried about unemployment. As it turned out, I used it as unemployment insurance for self employment ). The years after that, it was All In on expanding my ammunition supply for my main rifle. Now, it was the turn for the burial firearms. I pulled the cord on getting AR's. I didn't want them because they are plastic poodle shooters. I want them to stay armed, no matter what.
*
I started buying by priority of being outlawed. My first order at Midway was a $300 rifle kit and a Poly80 lower ( the eighty percent lower, at $75 ). I didn't realize it the time, but I got the kit far below regular cost ( $450, as it is a Stoner brand ). After tax it was $400. A couple of days later I got another lower ( I was trying to space out the purchases to give time for contemplation, not wanted to impulse buy ). And VERY importantly, a adjustable gas block ( to turn the gun into a bolt action ). On sale at $50.
*
I also got four mag pouches ( each pouch has three slots ), not because it was my preferred choice but because they were drastically marked down to $3 each. Rounding it out was ten boxes of steel case Tula ammo. Total $200. At Amazon I got a How To Build paper book, and a rear sight the rifle didn't include. $35. Next up was ANOTHER lower ( remember, prioritizing what I thought would be outlawed first, or “disappeared” from JIT inventory ).
*
I had to get some magazines, and just went with the cheapest Tapco brand, four for $30. Another ten cases ammo. Total, $165. After a couple of more days, I was ready to spend a bigger chunk, another $600. I had to go to Palmetto for another kit, not waiting for free shipping. $338 total. Harbor Freight was $100 for a bench drill press and a drill press vice ( I was kind of winging that one, not sure if I got exactly as needed. But, the cheapest drill was $67 ). The last $160 went to ammo.
*
A thousand rounds of ammo ( I'll switch over to brass soon, knowing Tula has a three inch MOA, but again, prioritizing ). Three lowers ( they are polymer. I wanted back-ups ). Two rifle kits. The part to go from semi to bolt. A few mags and pouches and an instruction manual. Really, what more can you ask for for $1400? That would only buy you two Lee-Enfield's and a couple hundred rounds of its ammo, at today's Collectible prices. Now, do NOT for one second think I'm switching over to the AR. These are for burial.
*
I won't be shooting the heck out of these. I won't be fondling its cool plastic furniture ( “soon, my pretty! Soon! A FLIR for my pretty, oh yes!” ). I won't be grabbing them with my BOB on the way out the door. My Enfield's are My Precious. They are my sweet bayonet delivery system ( sure, the AR has a bayonet lug. Big deal. Like putting balls on a lesbian ). They are my sunshine ( please picture a single tear of joy cascading down my face as I fondly describe just how much I love my Smellies ).
*
This is a BTN weapon system. It may or may not be recorded by Skynet as purchased and in my possession. But they cannot take what isn't here. Try to picture how many locations my desert has for me to hide these in ( not including the flatlands, but just in the hills ). If you plead the 5th, they must find your guns. Could they throw you in jail if you don't rat yourself out? Probably. And believe me, I fear prison. I fear being unarmed, in today's climate, more. It's already Spicy Time, and all our choices are between Crap and Suck-Ass.
( addendum- five days after writing this I went ahead and ordered another two thousand rounds.  This time from SG Ammo ( HERE ) which penciled out total cost to 20 cents each rather than 27.  I feel a little more comfortable now, being closer to a complete arsenal )
( .Y. )
( today's related Amazon link click HERE )
*
note: worried about the proposed body armor ban?  A video on making your own plates for $30 each HERE.  If you want to buy your own off grid washing machine, cheap, to replace the laundromat visits, HERE is a video.  Still uses a big chunk of water and watts, so this is for those able to splurge on those luxuries.  And finally, a weird channel a lot of you might love, "The Post-Apocalyptic Inventor" HERE .
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon links here ( or from http://bisonprepper.com/2.html or www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods ( I get 4% of the Amazon sale, so you need to buy $25 worth for me to get my $1 ) or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book ( web site for free books, Amazon to pay just as a donation vehicle ).
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free. I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio* my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

29 comments:

  1. For burial, I’d of went with an el cheapo .22. You’re only going to have to fire it once, to get the AR from the dude that will inevitably slip up, but that’s just me :D But of course, you would be in the same situation if you were anywhere near the vicinity of where the firefights are going down. What was the combat survival rate in Vietnam? I’m going from memory, but I think it was around 50%? But remember, they had back up, you won’t. So your survival rate would be much lower.

    The .223 ammo was a good purchase though. Worse case scenario, you could sell it at a higher profit, once it skyrockets in price. I’m assuming that you can still legally do such a thing in Nevada.

    No one wants to hear this, but yes, “assault weapons” (Aka a semi-autos) are an endangered species. Trump will probably pass the “red flag” laws, but what do you think is going to happen when the opposition gets into power? They’ve flat out stated that they are going to do everything that they can to ban the sale of assault style guns.

    This is probably a good time to reconsider that .357 handgun that I’ve been wanting. Who’d of thought that republicans would be good for gun sales for a change :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be burying paper trailed guns, but this time I wanted to go with "host funs". Not sure if it makes a difference in the long run but I'm thinking I'll perhaps get a few percentage extra "luck" points doing it this way.

      Delete
    2. Paper trails aren’t necessarily bad, if you “voluntarily disappear”. Then there’s nothing to trace back to you. Of course, this is harder than it sounds. Unless you are very internet savvy, you will have to eliminate your digital footprint. There are plenty of books on this subject however.

      Delete
  2. Could you please give links to the Midway purchases of:
    $300 rifle kit
    Poly80 lower
    Adjustable gas block
    Mag pouches
    steel case Tula ammo

    Amazon:
    How to Build
    Rear Sight

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amount of time it took you to type this comment, you could have entered into the search engine on each site. Are you trying to seed the Utah Skynet? The build kit, gas block and pouches went back up in price, but if you have an account and put those in your wish list they e-mail you when on sale.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your 80% conversion. I think polymer lowers is a mistake. Watch for the "wobble" in the spindle of that Horror Fright drill press. I say 80% conversion but will retract it after you've actually fired it. Did you also buy the guide-template for routing the lowers? Last time I looked I think they were getting $160 just for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, most of what you said is Greek. Guide template? Spindle wobble? I'm going Full Retard both feet first on this whole process, from drill to assembly.

      Delete
    2. The "wobble" in the spindle of the Horrible Fright drill press that Ghost mentions, basically, means that it is a made-in-China piece of shit that would barely be suitable for drilling a pilot hole in a plank of soft pine for an Elementary School bird house project. No chance (whatsoever) would it be adequate for 'machining' purposes.

      Further bad news is that if you don't have the guide-template for routing the lowers, then your 80% gig is up.

      Delete
    3. How do you plan to route the cavity in the lower?
      1. Put the bit in the drill chuck.
      2. Put the lower in the drill vice.
      Now what?
      You have to have a template for the drill bit/router bit to follow, otherwise you will cut right through the side of the lower. This isn't like cutting paper dolls out with scissors.

      All drill presses have tolerances - that is, nothing is perfect. Put a bit in the chuck, cinch everything down, then grab that bit with your hand and try to move it sideways. You may feel some wobble. This is called "run out" and sometimes you can control it, maybe with a better quality chuck.

      Remember, metal machining relies on precision, for the parts to mesh properly. I researched this stuff a couple years ago and when everything was added up I didn't want to spend what was necessary to have a successful project. I already have a Delta drillpress with an upgraded chuck and vice. Maybe it is all easier if it it polymer. I never looked into the polymer option. I've heard the horror stories. Be careful.

      Delete
    4. I'm assuming the "guide" is the outer orange/red shell with holes that comes attached to the lower? If I'm right, sorry, I thought everyone was familiar with the product. If I'm wrong, can you advise?

      Delete
    5. If you don't know better,then you have done nothing but prepare to fail...
      Get a trusted friend. Who has real tools and experience to do a lower for you.
      You do have friends...yes ?

      Delete
    6. On second thought, get someone to teach you proper use of their decent drill press. Practice, practice, practice

      Delete
    7. Just went to https://www.80-lower.com/products/polymer-80-lower-receiver-and-jig-kit-ar-15-fde/ and saw the polymer rig for the first time. It includes the template which is plastic as well. And it includes the bits. I have a little bit of experience with metal machining and I'm very skeptical of this whole set up. You need to jump into this right away and make a working gun and see if it actually will work, repeatedly and reliably. Best to know right away if you did it right.

      For the record, I would never consider taking this on unless I was ready to spend the required time and money to do it right. I don't believe it is as inexpensive nor easy as it seems. Back when I was considering doing it it seems the only way to make it cost effective was to do 10 of them. Keep 2-4 for myself and sell the rest to close associates. And even them the cost per would be more than a conventional lower but there would be no serials.

      Delete
    8. There seems to be a good number of folks who have had good luck with this. I'll know more later of course, but my initial impression was that the "pour in a mold" kits are even more failure prone. And this way certainly ain't cheap per unit-twice commercial.

      Delete
    9. I've heard the problems with aluminum as well. I think plastic is a much better material to learn.

      Delete
  4. Off topic, but I have been looking up historical info on strategic grain reserves. Your food storage approach is basically a personal grain reserve. Not sure if it is enough fodder for an article, but feel free if it inspires you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord Bison,

    Congratulations on stepping into the new world of "host fun".
    Couple of pointers if I may. Once you create the new toy, just remember that you can NEVER sell it, or even give it away. The upper part of the kit, at this time you can do as you please it's just parts. It's the lower part that can cause problems.

    Remember... if you so much as make a drill hole in it, and never complete it, does not matter. The only way to get rid of it, is to destroy it, or turn it in. Never get suckered into a Mr. Weaver deal like from Idaho.

    With that said. I had my child do one for their Christmas present a couple of years ago. We did the aluminum one, and I got the fixture jig for the drill/router way. I have a lil' bit of experience in machining and I needed more patience with them (my child)then any other time in my life. With the aluminum ones it is best to go very SLOW and take a Lil' bit of material at a time. The router bits are about 35 bucks each.

    There are videos from suppliers on Youtube. We used 80-lower dot com. I have no affiliation with them, except as a customer.

    Have fun, go slow, and play with it after you complete. Make sure everything will work right. Enjoy the weekend, and I really enjoy reading your blog every day. Thanks for all you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice-yeah, I'm well aware of the non-transferability. Heck, I wouldn't even help someone drill their own, in case they accuse me of being a manufacturer or something. I know they can screw me just making stuff up, but no need to help them.

      Delete
  6. "If you want to buy your own off grid washing machine, cheap, to replace the laundromat visits..." Here's my experience with laundermats..

    I have my own full size washer/dryer set but I still occasionally pop into local Viet owned laundermat. Do a couple of loads and talk with the owner. He's really plugged into local Viet emigre community (huge). Former .mil in VN.
    I make sure I visit him in April to extend my sympathies over fall of RVN.

    I see him at various other Viet owned businesses chatting away with friends and former brothers-in-arms. I'll walk over and shake hands but don't intrude.
    I figure they're pooling money for biz opportunities or just watching out for each other, their businesses and families. All older guys doing the old guy thing.

    Anyway, besides being a nice man this goes with my strategy of expanding social contacts.
    He told me that for longest time he thought I served with USAF at Than Son Nhut airbase (Saigon) during the war. He mistook me for a freakin' Captain stationed there...lol.
    He said at first he thought he saw a ghost. I had to show him my driver's license to prove I was too young to have been in VN. I think my heartfelt recognition of that sad April '75 put the wheels to spinning in his head...

    Now I know if things go wonky I am at least a known face. He knows a bit about me, my skills and experience and I know he's a "player", albeit small, in a very extensive, successful & cohesive tribe.

    Despite "Other Colors" comments Lord Bison I think knowing him might be as valuable as a can of ammo & a sack of rice someday.
    One of those.... I know a guy, who knows a guy... with a large machine shop (generator repair & fabricating) might be a life saver.

    Spending a few dollars a month to make & maintain a connection might be the best money spent...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OtherColors doesn't matter if both sides want to be in the tribe. You just have to know when your race matters to them. And yes, spending extra to support tribe members is always a good idea. That is why I stocked some more of that nasty rice crap, for the gluten intolerant in-law

      Delete
    2. You're def on the right track. I have been the same way for decades, just my nature I guess. I rarely see people amy more, back here in the sticks, but when I do I am friendly and helpful. Never know, it may come back someday.

      I met a new neighbor down the road a few weeks ago, a chap in his mid 40's, ornamental, friendly, an anesthesiologist, loads of coin. I gave him my biz card and told him if he needs any help with anything just call. Well he called yesterday and wants my chainsaw service and insisted on paying me. We're gonna get together next week and discuss it. See how it works? And that's cash money jackson!

      Delete
    3. Told ya that new Asian anesthesiologist what moved in down the road might be a good thing...can't keep moving forever, they always end up moving in on ya no matter where ya go.

      Delete
  7. A caution for burying a firearm for future use. Practicing shooting is important - it is a perishable skill. So there should be at least one AR platform left out for practice as often as possible.

    Hitting distant targets will not be as important as hitting targets within 50 yards quickly. If you can hit three pie plate sized targets twice in less than 10 seconds at half that distance, your chances will lengthen considerably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember, I'm running a bolt action, not a semi. I'm going for distance. And the platform is great for a scope.

      Delete
    2. "I'm going for distance."
      =========================

      You may get to play the game but you don't get to make the rules. Your whole idea of bolt over semi is based upon a mostly false illusion that semi shooters will blow their whole load right in the beginning and have nothing for the long term. This notion is fraught with error from all directions and doubly so.

      Shooting regularly with a variety of guns will provide experience and wisdom, and money well spent over time will provide a large stockpile of ammo. You seem to have done the 2nd part but for reasons I'll never understand will not do the first part.

      Your current plan, to shoot for distance is one solution to a multifaceted problem (say 8 criminals penetrate your compound below your radar sweep and need to be dispatched right now?) and as we all know, having multiple ways to solve a problem will guarantee a higher level of success. You can plan to succeed or plan to fail, either way it is your fault. I have levers, pumps, semi's and bolts, revolvers and automatics, and a huge volume of ammo for all. And I shoot all of them regularly. I plan to succeed.

      Delete
    3. Lack of money= less options. Money doesn't always= options. If I die the first week of the apocalypse, at least I lived a life NOT devoted to earning money. That is my personal preference. Not right for everyone. We'll never agree on semi's v. bolts. Sad Panda :(

      Delete
  8. Probably to late now but Kruger makes a bolt in 5.56 not .223
    That takes ar mags for less than $500. Add some ammo a 4x scope and some mags and you can have a halal rig for 1600.

    2:48

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The point wasn't another arsenal, but "host fun"

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED