Sunday, August 18, 2019

my kingdom for freeze dry


MY KINGDOM FOR FREEZE DRIED
You bastards lazing about the blog didn't get the article, because you didn't sign up for the e-mail newsletter. I would have gotten around to repeating it for your benefit, however. The consumer deep freeze sublimation method of making your own freeze dried foods. Simply, you put your food on a cookie sheet and place in the regular freezer and wait a month. Well, there is a bit of an issue with this method, as I was informed by a caring minion. Perhaps bunny food works fine, but not so meats.
*
You can cook and drain hamburger, or you can remove all fat from ham and slice it thin. That will work. But all the other meats, if not sliced razor thin, take more like a minimum of TWO months in the freezer to work. Here I was all ready to go all in on freeze dry DIY, putting our back up deep freezer in the laundry room and putting thirty trays in there and buying meat on sale and drying a good fifty pounds a month ( the commercial freeze dried is one pound dry, five pounds cooked before drying ).
*
But I won't spend hours on food prep like an illegal Latino, nor wait three months for a batch. Twenty years ago, when electric was half the price and we were in no hurry to prep ( after the Soviets fell ), sure, no big deal. I can't be patient now, however. Things are moving too fast. The 2008 Crash Redux is already unfolding. Nor will I buy freeze dried, after the financial hit I just took ( a quarter of my cash money savings ) as described yesterday. I COULD. I'm not completely adverse to buying a dedicated freeze dry machine.
*
If I bought the smaller unit for $2k, I could get say a batch a day out of it. Call it two #10 cans worth ( commercial cost $100. My cost for meat, $15, not including Mylar, or bag storage or machine cost ). The machine pays for itself in one stinking month. According to Loving Minion who wrote me, he pre-freezes his trays of food in the regular upright freezer. This knocks 8 hours off the run time, bringing it down to 12-14 only. That means the compressor doesn't die as quick. In the second month of operation, one batch a day, you have another three hundred pounds of meat ( raw weight, not dry weight which is 80% less than raw ).
*
That is 600 pounds of meat, for $2,000 machine plus $900 in meat ( assuming $1.50 a pound on sale boneless ). Call it $3,000 or $5 a pound freeze dried. Half the cost of store bought freeze dried, AFTER you bought the machine. Not a bad return, and that assumes you ONLY work it for two months. Working it more, with the occasional additional $300 replacement compressor, and factoring in Mylar and plastic totes, and you should be able to get that $5 down to $3 a pound. Roughly.
*
So, buying your own unit definitely pays. If I bought two thousand pounds of meat, and the machine, I have a pound of meat a day for five years. That IS much better than money in the bank. So even if you cannot get “free” freeze dried at home without the machine, it isn't a terrible thing to do it right ( I cannot see freeze drying most vegetables, as most do air dry. You want high cost foods in that high cost machine. I'd of course add butter ).
*
Alas, I don't love meat THAT much. I want meat, but I don't want that bill. Buying the machine, you DO take the chance meat prices skyrocket right afterwards. Yes, it will ALWAYS be cheaper doing it yourself compared to commercial product, but if you can't afford as much meat the freeze dry machine costs far more per batch. It is back to beans ( and as soon as the Fall cools things down, more canned butter ) for me. Yes, I know butter is not protein. My body does better going vegetarian with butter, than without, however. That is just me. Now, as far as the beans.
*
Forget pinto and lentils. I now recommend The Dreaded Soy. More specifically, soy meal. The oil has been removed in soy meal, and what you essentially have left over is a protein meal that should store for some time ( no oil to go rancid ). Which you can buy at the feed store for about $22 a fifty pound sack. $44 a hundred pounds, almost half the price of any other grocery store bean at its cheapest. Eating one quarter pound a day, you get to almost two thousand calories a day when added to that pound of wheat.
*
At $44 a year cost. With a much needed protein boost. Granted, plant protein. But it is as close as you are going to get at this bargain of a price ( and if you go by the vegans preaching, it is a complete amino acid protein ). Now, to it being soy. No, I do NOT want to eat soy, Sam I am. Neither do I want to suffer from a wheat and oil only diet. Adding a bean is better than not, even if soy. It is the lesser evil.
*
It is spending $300 rather than $5,000. This is my next priority, before any more ammo or other Plastic Poodle Shooter accessories. Protein is good, and soy is much better than Long Pork. If you can afford freeze dried, all the power to you. If you do your own freeze drying, well, you can be my hero. For those still clinging stubbornly to poverty and frugality, well, embrace your estrogen dose. It really is better than being weak and lethargic and susceptible to sickness from lack of protein.
*
On a two thousand calories a day diet, it is recommended you get about 55 grams of protein. Your wheat delivers 6 grams. Now add in a quarter pound of soy. That adds another 41 grams. Not too terrible at all. Especially considering it is a post-apocalypse diet. Be an honorary Soy Boy. But, ironically :)
[ addendum-my feed store only charged $17 a bag.  Suckers!  I thought it strange that Pastor Joe's group paid $17 a bag wheat when they bought 10k pounds in a group buy-mine is $10-$12.  Perhaps I'm just lucky here, being close to ag areas such as the LDS'ers ] 
( .Y. )
( today's related Amazon link click HERE )
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon links here ( or from http://bisonprepper.com/2.html or www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 
*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods ( I get 4% of the Amazon sale, so you need to buy $25 worth for me to get my $1 ) or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book ( web site for free books, Amazon to pay just as a donation vehicle ).
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.

*** Pay your author-no one works for free. I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio* my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there



35 comments:

  1. I've mentioned this before and I will again, and then never more.
    2 things.
    You are getting older and drastically underestimating the consequences. Old doods don't talk about this stuff much for obvious reasons. Consider yourself lucky that I am offering you some insight. It's up to you what you do with it if anything.

    Your body and mind are changing and it is unknown what your body and mind will be like in 10 years. I started changing, disappointingly, about 5 years ago at age 59 by having 2 hernias from stuff I had been doing every day. Heavy lifting. The connecting tissues in my muscles had deteriorated but my behavior was the same - so a couple painful failures occurred requiring surgery. 6 months ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and an aortic aneurism and am now on medication for it. A month ago I had a small stroke and am on medication and recovery for that.

    10 years ago I learned that all the nutrition info out there is mostly bullshit and your mind has been programmed to believe it. I am living long term proof that a grown man, 6' tall, 200lbs, fairly active, does NOT require 3000 calories per day. Not even 2000 calories per day. Those numbers are utter bullshit.

    But you do need QUALITY food and it costs a lot more. 1000 calories per day of QUALITY food is far better than the alternatives. Lastly, he who negates the power of pain does so at his own grief. The guy that says when pain gets to be too much he'll just punch a hole in the side of his head has no alternative if that pain is from paralyzed arms. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't disagree with you. But I've always known that being poor has a price on health, and that I won't live that long because of it. I'm at peace with it. Hopefully, your kind words can help others ( and you are spot on with the ignorant official advice out there ).

      Delete
    2. ghostsniper: What type of high quality food do you recommend?

      Delete
    3. Anon, I can't tell you all you need to know, you have to research yourself, but you mostly know already.

      Salt and sugar, in all of their forms, are killing you, slowly but surely. If you eat standard commercial food, which is slammed with both S and S, then put more of each on it, you are quickening your death. We currently have 8 of the standard containers of Morton salt in the larder and I will most likely never buy any more. We have 40 lbs of sugar, same deal.

      You need to eat as natural as possible, and the best quality you can afford. Here is my suggestion, get used to eating 1000 calories per day of expensive high quality food rather than 3000 calories of cheap low quality food. You won't like this for a variety of reasons, but you have to overcome the mental programming you have been subjected to all of your life. But eventually you will like it and if you go back to the old way it will taste repulsive.

      My consumption so far today:
      1 cup of black coffee - yes, it was somewhat bitter.
      2 20 oz glasses of Brita filtered water
      Lunch: 1/2 turkey and havarti cheese sandwich with natural brown mustard, don't remember the brand, 1/2 a cup of home made potato salad.(about 300 calories)
      2 more glasses of water
      For supper tonight I'm making a 4 oz slab of unseasoned salmon on the grill over a bed of salad materials purchased from local farms (about 400 calories). Tonight I will consume 2 more glasses of water.

      I know, that all seems boring, inefficient, and a lot of work as opposed to just plopping some frozen stuff in the nuker and then blobbing out on the couch. But food was never meant to be entertainment, it is a necessity. Society taught you to reverse those 2 ways of thinking.

      Healthy food costs more, but because it is slammed with nutrition, you will eat less, so the cost is not an issue. The hardest part is changing yourself. Good luck.

      Delete
    4. Have to disagree with Ghostsniper. Everybody's body chemistry/metabolism, etc is widely varied. Just like the person who lives to be 104 years old and says the their secret is a few daily cigars and a several shots of whiskey, my grandmother lived into her mid-nineties on a diet of high salt, sugar, and fat (Hormel's Little Smokies every day for lunch). She gave up whole milk and switched to half & half for the last 30 years of her life. She snacked on sweets several times a day.

      Anecdotal, but absolutely true, just like anybody's testimony about their own experience.

      Delete
    5. Standard white salts are the junk food of the salt world. Yes they are bad for you, really in any amount. What you want is Real Salt, mined in Utah from an ancient sea bed, or Himalayan salt. They have 50+ trace minerals to vitalize your health, since most of our foods these days are mineral deficient. Too much "real" salt can be bad for you for sure, but you should have some daily, as a natural-type multi-vitamin, except it's a multi-mineral.
      Peace out

      Delete
    6. And let us not forget that come PA, all this is academic and it all boils down to just getting enough of any kind of food. Great to be healthier now, best to not be too picky later.

      Delete
    7. @5:31
      Body chemistry and metabolism have nothing to do with what I was talking about. FWIW, I've been living on higher quality foods for decades and have been consuming far less calories during that period too. My conversion to the absence of salt and sugar is the only thing that is recent in that regard.

      Body chemistry and metabolism adapt to what is input but over time these things take their toll. That's why I said to the other person I can't tell them all they need to know.

      There is no denying people today have been programmed to think about food as they do, and there is no denying most food today is embedded with long term poisons. Just 50 years ago people didn't eat fruits and vegetables cut with GMO's and other science experiments companies like Monsanto invent. The only change I am hoping for is that people at least do some basic research, for their own health.

      Delete
    8. Look into low-carb eating. Modern diet is slammed with sugar and carbs. Colonial times, sugar consumption was 1-2 lbs per person per YEAR. Now it's 'way over that a WEEK. Jason Fung's lectures on YouTube is I guess where to start. Also check out r/keto on Reddit.

      Delete
    9. 1 cup of black coffee - yes, it was somewhat bitter.
      2 20 oz glasses of Brita filtered water
      Lunch: 1/2 turkey and havarti cheese sandwich with natural brown mustard, don't remember the brand, 1/2 a cup of home made potato salad.(about 300 calories)
      2 more glasses of water
      "For supper tonight I'm making a 4 oz slab of unseasoned salmon on the grill over a bed of salad materials purchased from local farms (about 400 calories). Tonight I will consume 2 more glasses of water."

      Perfect if your movements consists of pushing the buttons on your laptop. My wife and I ( both 56 ) split and stacked 3 cords of wood over the weekend. we dined on two large bbqd steaks, mashed potatoes with butter and , dare I say, Salt and pepper. and very large salads. My wife suffered from a hernia years ago, but has never allowed it to keep her from staying active.... When you stop moving, you stop moving.

      Delete
    10. But after a certain point you simply can't move as you did-and an old person hernia will down you quicker than a young person one.

      Delete
  2. “That is 600 pounds of meat, for $2,000 machine plus $900 in meat ( assuming $1.50 a pound on sale boneless ). Call it $3,000 or $5 a pound freeze dried. \”


    How long do you plan on living? How much freeze dried can you get for that same cost? Probably not much, just saying. These are questions that you should be asking yourself. What is it that you are prepping for? If it’s hard times, then go for it.

    But if it’s for a complete and total collapse, then your money might be better spent elsewhere. You will not be able to stay in Elko proper, or even anywhere near it. Even if the population drops to one, and you’re the last dude in Elko, you won’t be safe (Wez and the Golden Boy will be along shortly, to violate you, just before taking all of your stuff. So you’d better pray that there’s a feral kid with a metal boomerang, handy :D ) One or two families in close proximity, is probably too many. In this latter scenario, you should plan on diverting some funds to your hermitage property. At least a simple shelter, or a cache.

    You’ve already blown a decent sum on that AR stuff, that you will possibly never see to fruition (No offense, it’s just that I sense that you’re a lot like me. That is, the more complicated a project is, the less likely we are to complete it. It’s just the way we are, and we must compromise, usually by spending a little extra beyond what we wish to).

    From what I gather, it sounds like you’re mostly talking about meat? How about considering a dehydrator for about the 10th the cost of the freeze dryer? Won’t last as long? That’s why you use the surplus, and keep it in constant rotation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was considering cash on hand, or an investment of that cash. My cash savings is for food come unemployment. If I converted that to meat, I wouldn't need the money. You can't really dehydrate meat, not if it has any fat. Not for any period of time.

      Delete
    2. What about pemmican? I think that it actually incorporates the fat into the recipe. Yes, it has a limited shelf life, but as long as you have enough to survive for long stretches, and keep it in constant rotation, you will be fine. Store it in a cool, dry, place, and it will last quite a bit longer (I believe that you have a basement?) Pre-collapse, you can store it in the freezer.

      “There are reports of some pemmican lasting 50 or more year”

      https://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/how-to-make-pemmican-a-survival-superfood-that-can-last-50-years/

      https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pemmican+shelf+life&t=lm&atb=v1-1&ia=web

      Delete
  3. True dat fellas. Keep it simple. I note for an example in Sportsman Guide hunting season catalogs there is every version of contraption and doo dads to make your wildlife harvesting as easy peasy and uncomplicated as can be. There is of course the industrial level equipment for cooking, storing, processing, and giant coolers for 100+cans of cold soda when on man adventures. Jee whiz,
    Keep all of the implements and work processes proven old school methods and low tech. Function and operate your k.p. duties like your grandparents ran shop, and there will be money saved on box store junk that end up cluttering cabinets. Collapse and apocalypse conditions will get austere very quick, so you will have to have all the hobo or chuckwagon living dialed in.

    Stay frosty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HELLOOOOO! It wasn't for soda, it was for BEER, and 100 cans is probably not enough! :)

      Delete
  4. Yeah but, one has to assess their a.o. position integrity before "over investing" too deep into some things ala prepping. It is all fine and dandy to uber consumer and stock all manner of rewards for yourself. I think diversifying your money towards a lot of different areas of needs and anticipated scenario requirements would be more prudent than overkill on guns, bucketed foods, flirs, unicorn livestock, hoarding rolls of nickels, etc.

    If all manner of things is too dicey and too spicy to stay in your hermitage or area, then you are jettisoning it all and fleeing like a refugee in front of ghengis khan.

    Keep options open to even the most seemingly bizarre possibility. There will be way lots of upheavals not considered and worse than any historical examples. Be flexible in planning and material goods or equipment considerations, and, oh yeah, Stay Frosty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, making a castle from all your hoarded crap is a very real issue.

      Delete
  5. For some survival stockpile, consider "Calf Manna" I used to sneak some in my pocket and eat it when I was a kid.

    https://www.amazon.com/Manna-Pro-Calf-Manna-Supplement-50/dp/B000I1R4P0#customerReviews

    I went to a local feed store and tried a little, yep same ol' taste. Good if you're hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a lot of stuff is good when you're hungry :)

      Delete
  6. EROI with Harvest Right freeze dryer vs buying freeze dried foods is no comparison! Yer right on the money Jim regarding standard deep freezer method...it simply is very uneconomical and severely limited what you can freeze dry.

    How do I know this? I've tried and it just simply doesn't work. I ended up purchasing the medium Harvest Right machine and have been more than pleased due to having a large veggie garden with serious surplus.

    No, butter will NOT freeze dry. Whatever companies are doing to freeze dry butter to make it work, I would be very cautious of their method. My WAG would be their process is to first remove the oils then freeze dry it, ending up with butter flavored something or other...knowing I could be wrong. Now milk, cheese, cream cheese, ice cream, yogurt...will all freeze dry most excellently! A favorite with kids is strawberries, pineapple and apples slices...little candy nuggets for sure! Best thing about FD foods is the fact that it retains nearly 100% nutrients and vitamins and the massive storage life. That will be extremely important in a SHTF situation.

    The only issue for me is not being able to FD fats...grrr! Im full on keto lifestyle, which requires ~70% fats, ~30% protein and as little carbs as possible. I try to limit carbs to 20 grams/day with fruits...the only carbs one should ever eat! This also means no potatoes, grain bread, rice or pasta...these are fast carbs and will spike you the hardest. HFCS, table sugar etc is one giant insulin spike away from away from injections eventually.

    Wanna store fats? Try tallow...rendered beef fat will store very well. You might even find it for free at yer local butcher or very cheap. Tons of youtube vids on this.

    There's some pretty spot-on info at Harvest Right website for those interested.

    Foods you can freeze dry...

    https://harvestright.com/blog/2017/what-kind-of-food-can-i-freeze-dry/


    FAQ...

    https://harvestright.com/faqs/

    ts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some bastard on a YouTube video was freeze drying butter. Well, putting it on a tray for effect, anyway. Getting my hopes up, the cheese dingus. Thanks for the info, appreciated.

      Delete
    2. Canning butter is a simple, easy process

      Delete
    3. Mine isn't a year old yet. How old have you gone with yours? Any issues? I don't mind canning, I just thought FD might be a better long term solution.

      Delete
    4. My Lord Bison,

      We have been home canning butter since 2012.
      The oldest we have in the pantry now, was done in 2015.
      It still is the same, as the day we put it in the jar.

      However, for those of you who read this and want to try doing it.(We do the boiled down method on the stove top and skimming the solids off, then placed in the jars that were preheated in the oven to 260 degrees.) Youtube has videos of this process.

      This butter is not the same as you spread on toast. Different flavor with the milk fat removed. Great for cooking not so for normal use. Most just call it Ghee.

      Delete
    5. I didn't trust the quasi-Ghee method. I went pressure canning.

      Delete
  7. Not to nitpick, but I think you dropped a line somewhere in your calculation of protein in 2,000 calories of wheat. For a reference I used label data on a bucket of Augason hard red winter wheat - 6 grams protein per 150 calorie serving. This works out to about 80 grams of protein in 2,000 calories of wheat. Other data sources indicate a range of from 70-90 grams/2,000 calories. 80 grams of wheat protein contains an excess of all nine essential amino acids, so there's really no need to supplement with soy protein. Even white rice has about 55 grams of "complete" protein per 2,000 calories.

    That said, there's probably nothing wrong with soy meal. Kudos for suggesting an alternate inexpensive quality food source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you people shouldn't let me around fractions. Saw .017 protein per and I read it as .17
      https://www.traditionaloven.com/culinary-arts/flours/whole-wheat-flour/convert-gram-protein-to-pound.html

      Delete
    2. Or should I have said "decimal points"? I haven't had my coffee yet. And even then...

      Delete
  8. What about dehydrated hamburger meat (i.e. hamburger rock)? Here is process of making it. In dry desert, should be easy to make and keep.

    https://farmingmybackyard.com/hamburger-rocks/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of leery on that one. Originally saw it at:
      http://endtimesreport.com/

      Delete
  9. Consider that soy is estrogenic. Men, "estrogens" particularly phytoestrogens, are not your friends unless you want to grow a vag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is why soy sucks. The question is, at what amount is this a problem? One bit isn't going to turn you into a gayboy. One bite a day? A few ounces a day?

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED