Tuesday, February 18, 2020

panic early and costly


PANIC EARLY AND COSTLY
Yesterday I wrote the next chapter in the PEE book, just because I wasn't inspired by another choice. It just happened to be on junk land, the next item down the list. This morning, I read a comment on another blog, I believe Aesop, talking about buying rural land as a response to Beer Virus ( it had already been on the To Do list, but he was pondering if he should pull the cord or not ). A minion here is on the families farm in the Philippines, worried about being disarmed but in a good bug-in location otherwise.
*
In both cases, the situation is less than ideal. But isn't this what I fight against every day, this insane quest to seek Prepper Nirvana? That is why I really dislike fiction about Yuppie Scum building perfect mountain top retreats ( in the case of Rawles, perfect retreat countries-Gawd! It was BAD. So bad. He phoned that one in. I hope Baby Jesus appeared to him personally and dissuaded him from ever writing fiction again ). They make it look easy, the Beaver Family middle class perfection after the apocalypse, just add Mammon.
*
Life is a crap sandwich. The more bread you have, the less crap you have to eat. But newsflash, hotshot, in case you didn't get the memo. The table serving the bread is shrinking. Less folks are invited to sit down. Even the dumbasses who think they won the shrinking pie contest, the PC Brigade diversity hires, all had to trade in a pledge of a lifetime of education debt, lifetime mortgage and lifetime car payment all in exchange of a middle class wage that now doesn't buy you dingus-you just rent a golden cage with a gerbil wheel.
*
Seeking perfection by debt is pretty damn moronic. A mortgage on a retreat is akin to a bug out vehicle that has a boot locked on it for unpaid parking tickets. Which means you lower your expectations. Which means perfection is no longer an option. You get what you get and you don't throw a fit. Trade down to reality. The guy was wondering if it was too late to buy land. Well, it isn't yet. Get there before U-Haul closes its doors and before the state police set up road blocks. It isn't like you are stuck waiting to see if China will ship over that land ( unlike most prepping supplies. Hope you are squared away ).
*
Is the guy worried it is too late to move, no jobs being available once he gets there? So, don't buy Prepper Approved land ( I believe he stated Montana ) that requires a mortgage. Is this the apocalypse or is it a vacation? ( and seriously, no one you know is planning a vacation, are they? Talk about the worst timing ever. Visiting Rome right before the Visigoths probably had a better outcome. Visiting Disneyland prior to Habeeb The Terrorist is a better bet ) Here is what I advise, regardless of your circumstances. Panic early, and often, and pay the extra for the deluxe ride.
*
You are going to piss away money here. That is a given. Myself, I'd be pissing away three grand rather than thirty grand, buying junk land rather than Mountain Man land. If the best happens and you don't need the land, what if you can't sell it then? Plus, you must have money for other supplies. Like, oh, I don't know, wheat and ammo. Everyone says to not panic, to not overpay while everyone else is panicking. I say, fair enough. BUT! Do you have a choice? I'm not talking about spending $5 for a $1 disposable mask. I'm talking about panicking and buying items you just think you need.
*
In 2008 I needed my own land. Rent was getting far too oppressive. Did I need land in Elko? No, not really. I had land already. It just wasn't near employment. I had four years left on child support. So I didn't pay too much as much as I bought something I really didn't need. Hey, the economy was melting down. I didn't realize at the time the crash was just weeks away after I moved. But a good thing I did. In that case, I benefited from panicking early. Mostly however, my thirty years of buying insurance for the apocalypse has been throwing good money after bad.
*
The only thing I have left from Y2K shopping is a few guns. I put some money down on ten pieces of land, of which I only have three. Some I bought outright for under $500, some I just made a half year of payments for about that sum, then canceled purchase. I don't regret the lost money, even if I acted too hastily and without enough planning. If you find yourself in that situation today, you shouldn't let it trouble you. Money is fleeting. You'll make more. But sometimes a bet pays off.
*
If you panic early and lose that money, well, it sucks. But doing nothing, and the worst happens? A pocket full of money will not save you. If you are in a position you don't need to panic, congratulations. You made good life choices. If you panic a little, no problem. You'll recover easily. If you REALLY screw the pooch, and go Full Retard? You'll pick yourself up and start over. Now, please note this does NOT apply to credit or debt. Panicking with your savings is one thing. Getting into debt ( at least over a very small amount ) is just making your future a living hell.
*
In theory, jacking the credit cards panicking early sounds great. In reality, none of us can time the collapse. Even Nostradamus put in so many weasel words rivaling the worlds biggest twat lawyer Lincoln, I doubt seriously if he could really have timed the collapse. If you can't time the collapse, you don't bet the rent money or the next years wages on panic stockpiling. But with the assets you do have, yes, go nuts. Right or wrong, ill thought out purchases or not.
*
Personally, I think potentially wasting money on junk land right now is a great idea. Granted, JUST bugging in at the apartment or wherever will keep you alive if Beer Virus goes Full Spanish Flu. But the flu issue isn't the disease. It is the implosion of the US economy ( I don't care if it takes out the rest of you or not. I'm a selfish bastard and am only concerned with myself, my beautiful self ) that is the issue. Just on one point alone, the FoodStamp OtherColors running riot protesting Whities racism because we cut off the grape soda, should point to the bliss of rural residence.
*
This wasn't really PEE book inclusion worthy, being too topical. But you don't have to read the continuation of chapter fifteen to go buy junk land. Or, at least start researching lots. You want legal road access ( never ever NEVER trust a neighbor with that ), surface water close enough to get to grid down, and an area that isn't too zoning restrictive. Go to Land Watch dotcom. Be one with the junk land. Love the junk land.
( .Y. )
( today's related Amazon link click HERE )
*
note: most generous PayPal donation, GK.  Many thanks!
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon links here ( or from http://bisonprepper.com/2.html or www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods ( I get 4% of the Amazon sale, so you need to buy $25 worth for me to get my $1 ) or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book ( web site for free books, Amazon to pay just as a donation vehicle ).
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free. I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand **  Lord Bison** my bio & biblio***my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page***Screw the NRA, join the GOA HERE
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there



10 comments:

  1. Google Maps is your friend when looking at land on the interwebs. I have seen land that looked good on paper, but was in the watershed of a lead mine. Desert property might be 95 percent wash, which is fine until the flash floods come.

    It took me three times buying land before I found one I could stick with, you are right Jim, there is a learning curve with land.

    If a person decides to not live on the land, make sure they can reach it in a days walk, don't depend on a vehicle to get you there. Cars break down, bridges disappear and then there is always the golden horde to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree walking to the land is preferable, BUT! At this point, you might not be living in an area with cheap enough land within twenty miles. Having no land at all might be worse. I don't advocate land two thousand miles away but it it is that or no land at all, it is BTN. Soon, all the junk land will be gone. Or it will turn into a swindle ( if demand skyrockets ). This is getting in on the floor of Apple, Forrest Gump style, people.

      Delete
  2. “If the best happens and you don't need the land, what if you can't sell it then?”


    I have a little experience in this dept. I bought my land in west point commiefornia, back in the early 2000’s for $21k. At the time, I was still relatively young and employable, so it didn’t seem like that bad of an idea at the time. My land would have been considered junk land here, and was mostly unusable. As the bubble rose, I could have actually sold it for around $75k at one point. But of course, stupid me didn’t do that. Long story short, the bubble burst, and it was looking like I would be stuck with that pig for life. But by the saving grace of some higher power, I lucked out. What happened? Well, right around 2016, the county started issuing pot growing permits. I sold that sucker to some Chinese for $30k. No, I didn’t profit, because I put more into it than that. But I was still damn happy that I unloaded it, and recouped most of my loss.

    Just prior to selling that land, I bought my 2.5 acres of Nevada junk land for $2k. I don’t regret it, and likely never will, even if I never sold it. Why? Well, my annual taxes are about the cost of what a couple of Starbuck’s Caffè latte’s would cost you in commiefornia (minus the bad case of the trots, courtesy of the former. There’s gotta be a metaphor hidden in there somewhere. Commiefornia, feces?). Winning :D

    Today’s book link: One New York Man's Journey to Off Grid Living in Montana, By Rich Scheben.

    I thought you hated that book? You gave me so much grief for recommending it, that I was guilted into giving you a donation. Nah, you were cool about it, but you made it very clear that it sucked very badly :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, I'm embarrassed. I don't remember hating that book. Are you sure you're not yanking my chain? Usually I'm so pissed about wasting the money I hold a vendetta for decades against a book. My apologies. I did accidentally post a fake silver coin once. I didn't read far enough down that it was silver plated. So, yeah, sometimes I'm in a hurry and pay too little attention. Sometimes I'm too distracted. I'm going to go change that link now.

      Delete
    2. No, you really hated it, and you let me know in no uncertain terms that you really hated it :D Here’s a reminder. The dude prattled on and on about suffering discrimination as a white dude, in the new Amerika. Of course he’s right about how hopelessly pc and feminist F’ed in the head, the new Amerika is. Those interested in such a publication could most definitely relate to his experience. But one or two mentions would have sufficed. Most of us are already fully aware that stupid whites sold out the rest of us, and that there’s nothing we can do about it now, short of being self employed.

      Delete
    3. Hm, still not ringing a bell. I swear, I'm not normally this forgetful. I'll have the odd moment, totally spacing something ( "I did WHAT yesterday? " ), but it isn't like me to forget a book unless I read it 20 years ago. Well, that is what I have minions for :)

      Delete
    4. "...it isn't like me to forget a book unless I read it 20 years ago."
      Actually, it was four years and a half ago, but that's still long enough to (for me, at least) excuse forgetting it: http://bisonprepper.blogspot.com/2015/07/christian-militia-tribal-chants.html
      "Well, that is what I have minions for :)"
      True dat! ;-)

      Delete
    5. Even reading the link, STILL doesn't ring a bell. Thank you for forgiving my age related deep dive into dementia. I'll need all your help as I try to remember what day it is, what my name is and what I'm doing on this strange persons blog :) LOL

      Delete
  3. And don't fall in love with a pretty face.

    We found the perfect acreage south of Bend Oregon.
    A grinning heart-thumper orphan in need of loving parents.
    Cheaper than Wal*Mart.
    Lush, forested, plenty of delicious water, venison jumping into the freezer.
    Perfect sunshine for months, perfect for a photovoltaic farm.
    Isolation... with an hour drive to everything we need in the rustic big city of Bend.
    Isolationist neighbors with an attitude toward riff-raff along the lines of 'shoot-n-shovel'.

    Perfect?
    Deeper investigation revealed it is downwind of the notorious infamous Newberry Cauldron.
    An active volcano with a history of messing with a perfectly good nap.
    Did I mention the deeded hot-springs?
    Clothing optional... or, at least it would be, after we -- didn't -- buy it.

    Nice property except for the grumbling death-trap just off the porch.
    I notice the owners "dropped the price and are willing to carry"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your own private little Yellowstone. Why I couldn't understand folks wanting to settle in Wyoming ( the "all move here and vote our way" that Boston T Party was a spokesman for )

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED