Saturday, June 17, 2017

got bike?


GOT BIKE?

When oil jumped to almost $150 a barrel, it was the typical supply and demand in action in a supposedly free market.  Then it fell drastically and everyone sighed in relief and went about their business as if Peak Oil was the stupidest thing they had ever heard of.  That was the last time we got a signal that the economy was broken.  The fact oil never went back up to that level, or higher, is clearly an indicator the economy never recovered ( okay, really, it was AFTER the price hung around $100 for awhile that the economy broke for good, but I just call that the last plateau on the way down the right hand side of the bell curve ).  And do any of you recall a little episode during that price spike having to do with bicycles?  Anyone?  Sales of bikes spiked with the oil price, leading to shortages and price hikes, hikes that never reduced afterwards, staying higher.  Just like other items such as ammunition, rice, beans, etc.  Do any of you recall my blather shortly thereafter when Fukishima blew? 

*

After suddenly seeing power supplies drop drastically, Tokyo residents made a mad dash to their bicycles stores and cleaned the places out.  Bike shortages as motor vehicle transportation suddenly got more expensive if even possible.  Americans in general are as retarded as can be about petrol vehicles.  The price drops and suddenly everyone buys gas guzzling SUV’s.  The price goes up a paltry 30%, everyone races to buy electric hybrids.  The next time oil prices double or triple, the supply of bicycles will dry up.  Boom.  Welcome to the retail side of JIT inventories.  You can’t wait to buy a bike until everyone else wants one.  You need to panic very early.  Not just on the bikes themselves but their parts and accessories.  This needs to be a stockpile item unless you want to walk everywhere.  Not for post-apocalypse use but for economic collapse use.  As much as you think biking sucks, wait until you can’t even do that.  You’ll look at all the fat lardasses grasping and huffing along and feel pretty damn stupid you didn’t get one sooner while you could.  I know I keep telling you to get rid of your car and bicycle instead.  Even if you don’t want to and don’t need to, you’ll still be forced to do so one day anyway.  Prepare early.  Because it is coming sooner or later, you want it or not. 

*

By all means, don’t give up your car.  Let it own you.  What do I care?  I’m used to you ignoring me.  But you can’t ignore Peak Affordable Oil, or the PetroDollar demise, fracking fields running out or JIT inventories.  There have been times I’ve cursed biking, usually involving a bit of a dip below zero in the winter, but I never wished for a car.  I just thought about hoofing it instead.  Because riding a bike, even slowly, generates a wind chill factor.  And owning a bike, no matter how cheap, is still financially draining.  But walking sucks ten times worse than what is involved in owning a bike.  I used to walk everywhere, back in my twenties.  Now I gladly bike, knowing what I’m missing.  Do yourself a little test. Go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart if your town still has one, Target and all the bike shops.  Count the adult bikes.  I’d wager your town carries one adult bike per thousand population.  Since I’d also wager that a lot of the 333 folks out of a thousand don’t already own a bike ( factoring out kids and old farts, and really fat people ), this can only mean severe shortages ahead after the smallest upset in the transportation status quo. 

*

You needn’t spend a lot ( nor should you spend the least ).  I tried to go for quality by buying American and just got ripped off.  My $400 bike should have only cost $200, for all the extra quality I got ( which wasn’t much ).  You know I only recommend single speed bikes.  I won’t discuss any other type.  You already know my reasons, but to help out the newbies-much easier to be your own mechanic, better brakes, hands free to spray attacking dogs, cheaper to maintain, able to mount not just back but front baskets.  Good luck finding a used one, other than a ladies beach cruiser ( it simply isn’t worth the ribbing from everyone to use a ladies bike.  Trust me from experience ).  If you must, buy a Wally beach cruiser.  Most frames are made in China, even the American bikes.  The rear rack, frame and seat/handlebars are about all that will be salvageable from it after 500-1k miles.  You’ll need to replace the wheels, tubes, chain and bearing grease.

*

Re-grease immediately upon purchase.  Factory grease is more oil than grease.  Use axle grease from the auto parts store.  Replace the chain before five hundred miles.  Buy an Amazon chain tool, NOT a Wal-Mart one.  Try not to buy any part from Wally, as the quality really sucks.  Expect the tubes to get a leak in the first week.  Replace with Green Goo extra thick tubes ( and, again, I’d advise Amazon buys rather than Wal-Mart, even for the exact same name brand.  Wally World  Brand X is NOT the same as Brand X from other places.  Experience has shown me there is a quality difference ).  Have new tires as the Wally ones will crack quickly.  You should use the originals of everything as long as possible, as long as a long trip won’t leave you stranded, but have the better quality replacements ready.  It is a nice idea to support your local bike shop, but their prices are high and their parts are usually no better than what you can order at 20% less.  Retail bike shops are dinosaurs, anyway.  I’d look into a mobile service if you think repairing bikes is something you want to do.  In the near future, folks won’t have cars to bring their bikes to you.

*

Investing in an inventory of parts, with an affordable bike, plus buying front and real baskets, is perhaps $500.  That is the bike, baskets, two spare front and back wheels, four spare tires, a half dozen tubes and two extra chains, a chain tool and several wrenches ( 15mm, 17mm, and an adjustable ) and a tire pump.  Not bad for transportation insurance.

END

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. ***You can support me through Patreon ( go to www.patreon.com/bison )***You can make donations or book purchases through PayPal ( www.paypal.me/jimd303 )

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods or buy a book. If you don't do Kindle, send me a buck and I'll e-mail it to you.  Or, send an extra buck and I'll send you a CD ( the file is in PDF.  I’ll waive this fee if you order three or more books at one time ).  My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184

*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.***   Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

11 comments:

  1. I met an older couple that rode in from the next town over. Bout a thirty mile trip. Both had the huge snow tires. He had a trailer hauling two dogs. They were both electric bikes. Crazy...but.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy like a fox. A Prius Convertible, for about $20k less.

      Delete
    2. Once you ride an E bike your done with all others.

      Delete
  2. I don't know how a single speed would work out on hilly terrain. Pushing it on the uphills would get old quick. My 18-speed has been long-term reliable.
    Peace out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you can work with it, more power to you. I've had both and will continue to push up hill.

      Delete
  3. I don't think people really appreciate just how much car ownership costs them. When I ditched my car I managed to save enough money to use as a deposit on a house that my repayments are less than rent.

    I do own a car again & the cost of ownership does smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Folks are more attached to their cars than their AR's. You can't convince them.

      Delete
    2. Yep. When gas hit $4+ in 2012, I parked the Caprice 9C1 and dropped the insurance. At 9mpg, I was spending $85 week on a tiny amount of driving. Even with the increased eating of good food, I've been ahead at least $300/mo. and still can borrow a car when needed. The fat has dropped off, I'm way stronger. Free piles are easy to browse from a bike, and I rarely miss a good thing that's too big/heavy. Trips under 2 miles are FASTER than with a car. Bicycle girls are entertaining!

      pdxr13

      Delete
    3. Hell, I'm still inspired by your story. Hope others are. People, you want freedom, but don't want it economically? The under 2 mile figure is true. I notice it all the time. My town is 3 miles long. Yes, going up to Wally and Home Despot there is a big ass hill. There is also all the freeway traffic. I don't see how people justify needing a car in this small area-and of course everyone has one. The louder the better.

      Delete
  4. I agree with all of your reasons that bike will be King in the next part of the downturn. I also agree with your suggestion to get a one-speed. I used a WOMAN'S beach cruiser single as my main transportation for four years as I had limited employment, the car was dead and I was committed to being independent. My food shopping and general errands were about 28 miles away from any direction, and NO public transportation. I'd start out early in the morn on the purple fat-tire bike, (it was aluminum so not too heavy and verrry comfortable) with a front rack and a lightweight bike trailer, would carry food and water, raincoat, a few tools,bike lock, hat and a headlamp. I would hit all the stops, picking up groceries or propane or water and stuffing them in the trailer, with the lighterweight bulky items for the front basket. It would take all day and I did about one third walking with that bike (we have terrible hills) but I learned to observe life at a slower pace and it was a better existence than rushing frantically everywhere. I got to relax and think a lot, I had poems spring forth and good writing abound so I carried a tablet and pen. I also took beautiful nature shots on my cell phone camera. Id eat a picnic just about anywhere. I barely had a care in the world. I also got stronger and acquired good muscle mass and endurance. I realized that I depended on NO ONE for this wonderful transportation modality. I tried all sorts of bikes out, from the aluminum beach cruiser, to the Worksman Cycle "Newsboy", a heavy single speed that rides like a Cadillac and built like a tank, to a teens aluminum BMX, to a three-wheeled recumbent trike (EZ-1)which I electrified, to a full-suspension teen BMX. I settled on the original aluminum beach cruiser, and even though I experienced some mechanical failure in the winter with the internal rear coaster brakes due to the cold temps and occasional flats, I still loved the comfort and nimbleness even in the snow ( fat tires at low pressure never let me(fall)down. The wide handlebars could hang four full cloth grocery bags. I liked the teen BMX for a lot of long city trips as it seemed safer in traffic and not so obtrusive on the sidewalk if I found myself happening to use it s bit to stay out of dangerous intersections, etc.
    Its amazing what you can and will carry on your bike. I've brought home lawn furniture on the kid trailer, planks of wood, 50 lb grain for the chickens, car batts for the solar set-up, 5 gallon full water containers, plants, laundry, tools, you name it. Its a very pleasureable and contemplative way of life.
    I had to change gears when a good job came up that was 40 miles one way with no public transportation and sunk $400 into an old beater Geo that got exceptional mileage.
    When life settles down and Im not as inclined to earn money again I look forward to again pedaling my way everywhere as it is the most wonderful experience and way of getting around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transforming life choice might be going a bit far, but only slightly. I still love getting out there in the cool air and getting my cardio-but I am glad I don't have to haul much anymore.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED