Wednesday, March 20, 2019

penny a watt


PENNY A WATT
Okay, honestly I was trying to be cute and write “dollar a kilowatt” differently, and screwed up the math.  But then I remembered a popular story that included “The $10 Store” ( from what used to be a  Dollar Store ), and that amused me so I stuck with the title.  Not that a kilowatt of electricity should ever get close to $10.  If it does, we are seeing hyperinflation and a week later it will be $100 a kilowatt.  But $1 a kilowatt?  Very likely very soon.  I’ve been warning of this for years, since The Alaskan Incident.
*
No, I can’t recall which year.  I want to say something like seven to fifteen years ago.  There was a problem delivering fuel to a generating plant and almost overnight electric shot up to fifty cents a kilowatt and residents were scrambling to try to figure out work-arounds amidst that financial rapine.  Sort of like Enron in California only much worse.  California power pricing and supply is so bad, all the douche canoe’s that fled that craphole ( for new readers, I was born and raised in California.  I’ve earned the right to trash talk it ) wouldn’t even vote that nonsense into law here.
*
And you know how Yuppie Scum Californians simply love to move to every other state and bring all their stupid laws with them.  Anyway, the time to drastically cut your power bill and figure out alternatives is NOT after prices have gone up.  Everyone else is doing the same so supplies go up in price and conmen start working the crowd for rubes.  You figure it out and implement it now, perhaps even putting half the savings into a Future Price Hike Fund.  Now, this is separate from insulating.  This is independent of heating/cooling.
*
Insulating a house is one of the smartest things you can do, if you do it prior to pricing spikes and panic.  But there are alternates to electric heating.  Here I’m concerned with your daily electrical use, the amount that won’t change even if you aren’t running the heater or cooler.  I would be investing in insulation regardless.  You do it good enough, your heating can be almost nothing besides solar gain ( I’m thinking of Earth Tubes as your cheapest, best bet, rather than upgrading a furnace or AC, before or after insulating further ).
*
You can even use Earth Tubes in the city, using a coiling-within-itself placement of the sewer pipe you use as the tubing.  I might even do that instead of further insulation.  You could even run the system on solar panels.  Best would be both insulation and Tubes, but with one you must keep buying increasingly costly grid power and with the other you just need to eventually buy insulation but you still get “free” hot and cold air, even if it leaves the house too quick.  A word from someone who screwed up the Tube installation-compromise on the burial depth, NOT the diameter of the pipe.
*
A neighbor recently did all of their cooling in the summer for a regular size mobile home with just a fifty foot long Earth Tube, ten foot down.  These things WORK!  I tried to install a one hundred foot long one, but was a dumb ass and only used a four inch pipe, so there was no draw.  At least I dug the trench by hand ( it was only four feet deep ), so I was only out the hundred bucks on pipe.  After that, rather than fixing the Tube ( I still, at that time, with limited knowledge, didn’t know what I did wrong ), I just built my underground home rather than trying to heat/cool the RV.
*
Enough about that.  It can be its own article ( although you’ll probably find all you need on YouTube.  A couple of other good subjects for you to explore: making your own Berky filter, making a methane gas generation system, Earthship construction ).  Back to all other electrical use.  I lived many years on $10 a month electricity.  Of course, being hooked up to the wires you pay a surcharge just for the privilege, so it was a $25 bill with $10 of actual kilowatts used.  When I was in the RV park, we had meters but paid the office and hence there was no surcharge.  So the bill was actually $10.  The winter months I knew exactly what the heater used and that was what I considered separate from daily electrical use.  In Florida the kilowatts were half the price as in Nevada, so Florida I was able to keep using a hot water tank.  And running rotating fans most of the time in lieu of AC ( living under a tree, that was sufficient ).  Both places included a refrigerator, which was the prime energy user.
*
Of course, back then a new, VERY energy efficient fridge was a mere $300, AND you didn’t have to worry about it breaking in three to five years ( This was around the turn of the millennium ), unlike today.  You’ll have to decide if buying a new fridge is worth the small energy saving.  Me?  I really don’t think it is, given the quality declines.  BUT!  Don’t just factor in the current 15 cents a kilowatt.  Also do the math on $1 a kilowatt ( or at least fifty cents-but my money would be on the buck.  Remember, when the PetroDollar goes, inflation explodes and imports stop ).
*
You might consider the solar fridge idea we have been discussing.  Yes, it is a chest fridge.  But it is also just 200 watts a day and you can run it off solar if you want.  The inconvenience of stacking crates to organize and avoid lack of rotation might just be worth it.  For a freezer, I would can meat AND freeze it.  Once electric rates skyrocket, use up all the freezer meat, unplug it and start canning all meat from then on.  Have a few years of cans and lids in case of shortages or price hikes.
*
I recommend six months frozen meat, as unemployment insurance.  At current prices, that isn’t much more than a hundred bucks in cans/lids.  Long term canned meat is a separate cost.  You COULD buy one of those $250 “gasket-less” pressure canners, but I think Presto brand makes very good products and their $85 canner with a $10 back-up gasket should last a very long while.  And recall, canning isn’t all THAT much of a pain.  One batch every two weeks if you are light meat eaters.  It isn’t too much more work than wrapping the meat for the freezer.
*
I could probably wrap this up today but I’m going to go ahead and make it a two-parter. 
( .Y. )
( today's related Amazon link click here )
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon links here ( or from http://bisonprepper.com/2.html or www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). Or PayPal www.paypal.me/jimd303 

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods ( I get 4% of the Amazon sale, so you need to buy $25 worth for me to get my $1 ) or mail me some cash/check/money order or buy a book ( web site for free books, Amazon to pay just as a donation vehicle ).
*** My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184 ***E-Mail me if you want your name added to the weekly e-newsletter subscriber list.
*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there



23 comments:

  1. Following. To dovetail a bit of reply info into some commentary chat (and thinking) amongst Minions. There needs to be a lot of "lifestyle" and daily routine changes to detox from the very much modern excess energy hog habits. (Myself, though frugal, would have to cut to the bone too) excluding after dark daily employment start tasks and children rearing tasks there needs to be a curfew and rationing of all those power "conveniences". I invested in a cache of kero lanterns and fuel cans with a starter supply. These will be for complete grid down and blackout use, as well as interim use to stave off use of any grid power or - intermittent service disruptions. (will happen) flashlights and battery lanterns are for safety and security tasks and super short task accomplishments only. If a Minion has spouses and snot kids that are not on board NOW, or quickly adaptable come crunch gametime there is a failure point within their own domicile / compound that is detrimental up to and including a fatal fail internal discourse and adaptability possibility. (Stepkids stab you in your sleep from deprivation withdrawal symptoms?) That math has to be written into one's scratch sheet calculation of wattage use, renewable source capability, storage capacity etc. Those whom are grid tied for whatever reason may consider paying an extra amount forward to carry a surplus balance amount on the utility account. A few months (6+/-months@) will provide an economic shock cushion for income loss, emergency expenses needs, or wild flux kilowatt or power costs. (Third leg of a supporting stool?) This prep element is high up on that list of things (guns, ammo, food, thermodynamics, etc) that can make or break survivability possibility. Keep at it Jim, good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beware kids. Those snot sucking hormone buckets will use electric with zero concern for system drain, or damage, or cost. Be ready with a whipping stick.

      Delete
    2. True, anyone over 10 years old can no way adapt to a no grid power scenario or live without a 30 thousand dollar Yuppie Idaho Unicorn Bunker solar array system to power the 3+ thousand square foot cushy retreat house. expect freak out tantrums like opiod withdrawals, the only effective antidote would be a bullet to the head behind a woodshed.

      Delete
    3. I don't get out much, granted, but everyone's casual attitude I encounter leaves absolutely no understanding of their "necessities" only being luxuries. "Moving off grid" is worse than discussing religion or politics with them.

      Delete
    4. Did you happen to see this study of which things cause millennials to "stress out" these days?

      https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-millennials-life-more-stressful-than-ever-before/

      From the list:

      # 6. Slow WiFi
      # 7. Phone battery dying
      # 10. Forgetting phone charger

      If these are that high on the list in "grid up" times, I wonder how these folks will fare in "grid down".

      Delete
    5. Didn't see the study, but at least we know there are still Whites left in the country. You know, 'cause "White People Problems" :D

      Delete
    6. In defence of the stresses that millenials face. I put it to everyone that they're at the end of their tether. Those things they mention are just convenient things to blame in part because it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. Not like saying "lots of foreign people around me make me feel nervous about my safety"

      Think of it like the Serbian who killed Arch Duke Fernidand sparking off WWI. In of itself that shouldn't have started the biggest bloodbath ever recorded. Everyone wanted that war. The assassination was just the excuse to kick things off.

      Delete
    7. Good point, trying to Right Think. Did I mention I hate people?

      Delete
  2. The earth tubes intrigue me. But every time I’ve looked it up, it looks like it would be a right pain in the ass to implement. And do you need two different types for heating and cooling? I honestly don’t know, but I seem to recall that in my previous browser entries, that two different search options came up. I plan on earth sheltered, so in my case, I doubt that I would go with the tube set up. Even if I go with the sod house, with 2’ thick walls, those suckers stay pretty cool in summer, and require a very small heat source to stay warm in winter.

    Here in Commiefornia, high power rates are a reality, and are going to become an even bigger one very shortly, I’m guessing. PG&E (Our power monopoly) is in big trouble from a financial perspective (Chapter 11). Apparently, they’ve got that Erin Brockovich bitch hot on their trail again :D This time it’s over the transformers that exploded and set half the f’ing state on fire.

    I got a chuckle out of the fat, hillbilly, affirmative action, PG&E chick that we know. She was whining about how things were going down hill at work, and that she’s thinking of leaving. Right. More like your fat ass sees the writing on the wall, and would rather leave before they decide to cut out all of the dead weight, which this chick is plenty of :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone anywhere offers you a buy-out to retire, grab it and go! Don't be the last man standing that doesn't realize this suckers going down.

      Delete
  3. one of the smartest things I did when building the retirement home, well actually there were 2, one was moving way out into the country and the second was to build an ICF wall polyurethane insulated roof house. It cost me more but in the last 10 years the cost savings have more than paid for the added expense! I used the then new squirly fluorescent bulbs but have now changed over to LED bulbs. Not only do they give you cheap light they do not add all the heat to the living space. The home is to large but the wife wanted room for all of the existing furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't make perfect sense to spend $50k housing $2k worth of furniture? :)

      Delete
    2. The l.e.d. lights have a place but throw a different light spectrum, i.e. not full color or easy on eyes. Some eye doctors refuse them as they distrust the possible negative vision health effects. Green house l.e.d. grow lights would be good for your underground stealth asparagus farming. Jim's Nevada is going to bone everyone in the arse vigorously on future power rates. The ballot measure that was passed by popular vote (theres your sign) mandates 50% of ALL grid power in the state come from renewable sources. (Thanxs to those progressive freaks) All the wind and sunshine and farting geothermal possible does not at all nearly equate cost effective electricity to satiate the gorged out unicorn people's demand requirements. Keeping my eyes open for a misapproppriated self contained nuclear powered energy unit like on ships or satelites. Mine will be the only glowing, functiong compound in the night time post collapse. Ha!

      Delete
    3. Don't forget 'Ol Remus' diesel locomotive retreat power generator :)

      Delete
    4. Good one too Jim. Your a smarty pants for sure. You'll have that big freight train horn on top to blow loudly every morning for compound reville. NICE!

      Delete
    5. Well, sure. I was thinking more about deep fryers, 60" TV's and FLIR scope recharger, but a horn would be a bonus :)

      Delete
  4. Dollar General has small LED lanterns (2 AA) for $3 that cast a fair amount of light 360 degrees. They are about 3" in dia and about 6" tall. Sit the lantern on a shelf on the wall with a mirror behind it. I buy a couple of them almost every time I go there - have about 30 currently. I use Eniloop or EBL rechargeable batteries in them. If you are lacking in mirrors to set behind the lanterns you and split a can from top to bottom, after removing the lid and bottom, and spread the wings out for a similar reflector.

    For the large off grid recluse design I mentioned here before, we are using 24" dia PVC in the geothermal project. There will be (4) 250 foot runs, down and back, down and back, pushed with solar powered air pumps and convection. The pipes will be 10' below grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you stockpile. Way out of proportion to what you need, but full retarded NOT to as it is too cheap to meter the cost. I try to do the same with as many items as possible. Since the last time I bought Whitey Tighties the cost has gone up 50% ( I finally needed to replace my 2-3 year long used set as the fabric was ripping ). I have other packs squirreled all over but I just keep buying. Let this be a good lesson on the Alpha Strategy, other minions.
      *
      It is my understanding that sewer pipe ( 8 inch? ) is the largest pipe you can get before you approach contractor/specialty item cost increases. Not sure above galvanized verses plastic. The extra cost would be worth it for extra performance, obviously, since it is one-off. But perhaps all ones money went to the back-hoe.

      Delete
    2. I am not that smart, but there is probably a math formula for the diameter versus the run length versus the amount of cfm desired to move versus the cubic foot dimensions of the targeted cooled or heated space. Solar fans cfm at an under estimated instead of their claimed numerical amount should be calculated. A windmill with gearing like an old well pumper may be applicable. Captured slaves chained to and turning a crankset is a good plan 'b'. Good ideas all around folks.

      Delete
    3. Hmmm, never thought past the "solar panel and 12v auto fans. Good call.

      Delete
    4. "I love how you stockpile."

      I'm a sucker for anything that lights up that I don't have to plug into the wall. Got hundreds of flashlights and other light producing aparatuses using from button batts to 18v versions. I got a deal on a dozen solar battery chargers ($15/ea) a few years ago and tested all and they do work, but slowly. So, after collapse I will package 2 LED lanterns, 4 AA batteries, and 1 solar charger for $100. Nah, make that $200. Gotta keep a few rigs for myself.

      Delete
    5. Alpha strategy - I had stocked deodorant so deep that when I ran out I called the manufacturer asking where I can buy more (after months of frustration looking for them). The chick on the phone promised to call back when she found out what was going on and when she did she was perplexed and told me "We stopped making that two years ago"

      But worst one was a powder I used to treat crotch rot. Yeah, it's humid here. Anyway I couldn't find any after my stockpile ran out. Same story - stopped making it two years ago because they couldn't BF*** paying some gov fee. NOTHING ELSE WORKS. I Tried every effing product on the shelf. F*&# A-holes. I've got stuff that does work but it's expensive and it comes with side effects. F&*( those guys.

      Delete
    6. GS-hundreds. Now I am REALLY impressed.
      *
      Dingo-let that be a lesson to you. Stock for decades, not years. Also, never use your stockpile. Always buy new for replacement. Granted, on a few things you simply cannot, eventually. You see so much focus on Oz's desert, it is easy to forget you guys are barely more than a stones throw from one of the nastiest jungles around, Papua New Guinea.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED