Tuesday, March 29, 2016

money ain't but a thing 2 of 3


MONEY AIN’T BUT A THING 2

Acquiring money isn’t a very wise skill set to cultivate.  Sure, right now money is valuable in that you eat with it ( even if you are completely self-sufficient in food production, and yeh, good luck with that, the old trick of taxes paid in money rather than in-kind pulls your ass into the Beasts grasp.  The ancient Chinese first pulled this nonsense, forcing peasants into cash crop production rather than subsidence ones and this was little help when famine came along-it‘s hard to get many calories from silk or jute.  This complete disdain towards your subjects is emulated perfectly by our East Coast Blue Blood Yankee scumbag rulers ) but money itself isn’t able to function without trade.  Without trade on a wide scale basis, you don’t need money, but trade over long distances is impossible without it.  And what do you need for trade?  Anyone?  Bueller?  A monopoly on violence to police that trade.  Who does that?  Centralized government.  How can a government grow to reach that point?  Through a surplus of energy.  What is going to be scarce to non-existent in the near future?

*

Surplus energy.  Come on, people, this isn’t all that hard.  If I can figure it out, it has to be elementary.  Why will surplus energy be scarce in the near future?  The money we use has lost its monopoly on trade as the energy surplus contracts.  The monopoly on violence can’t be re-won as its issuer is not only broke but impotent.  Our new inability to win wars in the energy production areas means, simply, we’ve lost the ability to police trade.  As food production input decline meets overpopulation, Gore Warming crop failures and energy decline, more areas become failed states ( like the once nation just south of us-profit from corn ethanol is more important than spending a bit of money investing in stability for our neighbor, and if that doesn’t tell you all you need to know about our own spiral towards being a failed state, I don’t know what will ) and more instability both increases our loss of control of violence to police trade, so any other contender imperial power will also have issues taking over that role.  So even with energy in the ground, expect less extraction due to out of control violence, failing economies and infrastructure damage from war.

*

All this simply to point out, contraction and decentralization  is our future, which most likely sees a long dark age where money is barely used if at all.  If you spend most of your life only learning how to earn money, control money and utilize money, you are not very good in a situation without money.  If the future has no money, what good are you?  And that is the far future.  In the immediate future, what makes you believe your own government will even honor their own currency?  Really?  Because they have?  Ever hear of a thing called the Continental?  The colonies first currency during the fight for independence.  Completely and utterly worthless from hyperinflation by wars end.  How about FDR’s post-election gold confiscation which saw the immediate devaluation by 40% of the paper currency it was exchanged for.  You don’t remember the double digit inflation from the 1970’s?  How much of the middle class was thrown under the bus in 2008 to bail out the bankers?  How many countries have already had bail-ins?  You don’t think we are next?

*

Money only has value while its issuer plays by the old rules.  But guess what-the issuer ain’t our FedGov, and they are bad enough as far as being parasitic divine rulers willing to kill you slowly or quickly to further their interests.  The Federal Reserve, that privately held central bank, has already changed the old rules.  You are holding zombie currency and don’t even want to acknowledge it.  Why would you want to hold even more?  Because it buys more pretty baubles you think will become a talisman to protect you?  You already show lack of judgment in worshiping and lusting after zombie currency, and you think you’ll make the right choices exchanging that extra money for survival gear?

*

Right.  More next article.

END

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page.  IF YOU DON’T SEE THE AD, DISABLE AD BLOCK ( go to the Ad Blocker while on my page and scroll down the menu to “disable this site” ). You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.  Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for mere Book Money, so do your part.*** 
*Contact Information*  Links To Other Blogs *  Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com
*Link To All My Published Books
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

25 comments:

  1. I'm not afraid to admit I like money. I'm trying to gather as much coin as possible to leverage myself better through the things I purchase for the future, and now.

    How do you get a hold of a WW1 30 cal with 10,000 rds without money? Trade 100 dozen eggs? Who wants that many eggs? A black market dealer of WW1 30 cals? Where's this guy at, I wanna talk?

    I get your point though and I agree, after the collapse of FRN's. Which can happen at any time. It might have already happened but we have't found out yet. That's how it goes. The time to prepare was yesterday, not tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the time to prepare Long And Slow was yester-year. Light a fire under your ass, people. Your ability to earn money won't last much longer.

      Delete
    2. If we are on a 2-week schedule of get-money/spend-money where a certain amount is available as "discretionary funds", I am understanding that the things most likely to save me and my very-quiet favorite-few family people is food of the bulk-calorie type, like non-GMO non-glyphosate contaminated wheat in buckets with a grinder and spare, if it can be found. A couple of firearms to defend it (obscurity and visible poverty being the best defense) and enough ammo to wear out the rifling after getting some food. Water, however you get it, should be assured, maybe even before getting enough food and/or guns. Cistern and catchment sounds good, but clandestine well or access to clear creek with no upstream neighbors is also great. Don't forget lightweight travel water filters incase of needed sudden departure. Still, we aren't spending money beyond middle class job/saving/asset base for a low-level peasant life of better health and weight loss. The alternative is hungry/thirsty/dead after watching the loved-ones drop first.

      Have 38' low-miles late model RV with V-10/SuperDiesel and 3 pop-outs? Sell-sell-sell, even at a loss. Even better, don't buy. Quarter-million bucks buys a great post-collapse life with many options of fun leading up to the continuous collapse.

      Renting an RV for Burning Man is the right thing! $3000 for 2 weeks and you give back a playa dust contaminated box. Way better than owning, if you must do arson in the desert with the fashionistas who often do not have nice hair.

      pdxr13

      Delete
    3. Isn't the spirit of Burning Man a bit compromised with an RV? Bummer, man, get a VW Bus!

      Delete
  2. I always think about your breakdown of how much it cost to live eating wheat. Pennys a day, but we bitch about not "surviving" on forty or fifty grand a hear! (I'm learning to live on ten grand)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just eating a meal a day wheat does wonders for the food budget. With two wheat meals, you can do $2 dinners meat/potatoes as almost your only grocery spending

      Delete
    2. I enjoy $0.99/lb grocery-store chicken very much. Backyard chicken with my labor input would be worth at least $20 each, meaning that hens would not be eaten until they didn't lay 4 eggs a week in the summer (7 year olds). Eggs will be very desirable as trade goods, requiring much deception about where they come from.

      Delete
    3. I remember birds being pretty noisey, even the gals. And wouldn't it be pretty easy to get everyone raising backyard birds once zoning laws are gone?

      Delete
  3. I used to have an issue of extra money. Now I have an upgraded Old Lady and a bigger book budget, plus less hours worked. Issue solved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get married, have a kid, have your wife get pregnant again, but this time after you get fixed. Have her walk out, have the court system come down on you like a ton of bricks.

    At the same time have a motorcycle accident (so you can't work) loose you job at the Nuke plant because you broke just about every bone in your body, have the house you were paying on taken away because your wife walked with her 1/2 of the income (and from not working, did I mention the motorcycle accident?)

    Do all this and what to do with extra money (extra money, yea right...) won't be an issue.

    Can you say MGTOW for life???


    Chuck Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Money is a useful tool. More would be nice but not necessarily needed and definitely not worth more work time.

    Idaho Homesteader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life should be spent doing, but not necessarily working ( for money ).

      Delete
  6. These comments and this article are right up my alley lately. I am in a recently divorced situation with two ex wives that get child support. I have worked my ass off for my whole life and have a state pension that i am thankful for. I have debt. Owed to a friend on my land and a truck note plus others. I still work a FT job and I am hammering the debt though.

    Which raises a question for the fair haired one. Here goes.

    I can save my money and pay cash...about $50K to build my humble abode in about 2.5 years. Or I can pay off my land truck ect. in 3 years and be absolutely debt free living in a trailer on my land and have the cash to build in 5 years. Im thinking pay off debt cause I can always live in a single wide?

    Thoughts Lord Bison? Minions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you are thinking in five years you are so old and tired and wore out you won't want to build a house? I can relate on that one. But I think it is no contest. Debt free first gives you a much greater peace of mind and options. Even without an economic collapse coming, debt free enhances your life all by itself. Also, as your truck is a work truck, being out of debt with it allows you to have lower costs than your competitors and you can always charge less ( even though I recall a comment by Idaho Homesteader on competitors charging below costs in desperation, it still is always a good idea just in principle ). Good luck!

      Delete

    2. IMHO debt free is ALWAYS the way to go.

      Here's a tale of two friends who bought 20 acres and split it.

      Friend 1 - put in a well, built a house, and did as much work as he could himself. He had some money from selling his previous house and used that to pay off the land but his mortgage company used the land as collateral for the house loan. Lost his job and almost lost his house - it was touch and go for several years. Tons of stress (friend has 7 children. Being homeless would not be fun). Tried to work with the mortgage company but because he had paid off the land originally, he had a lot of equity. The bank wanted to foreclose because they would have made money. It's a long, nasty story. (I hate banks). Things are easing up slightly but it has definitely been an uphill battle.

      Friend 2 - paid off his land and lived with his wife in a travel trailer for several years while building his house on his own. Nice, good-sized conventional home. He bought supplies when he had the money. Sometimes he used an UNSECURED credit card. That way if something happened there was no way he would lose his house and land. The house still needs to be sided but the inside is done and they are living in it. Best of all, it's paid for. They also are barely scraping by and it's hard to find grocery money but they will always have a roof over their head. They definitely have less stress.

      A piece of paid for land (with a couple of years of property tax money stashed way) is about the most wonderful thing in the world. Knowing that no matter what happens, you have a place to call home. Having a solid debt-free foundation enables you to weather most storms out there.

      Pay off your land, bring in a travel trailer. Build a pole-building shop. (Save for it - no debt) Then take your time and build your home as you have the money or finish the shop to be your home. Around here, many people have converted their pole-building shops/barns into nice homes. The outside shell and cement floor of pole-building structures are fairly reasonable cost-wise to put up.

      Idaho Homesteader

      Delete
    3. I think we all know, deep down, about the wisdom of no mortgage. Yet, unless you've almost experienced homelessness, you still buy into the life long propighanda about being able to work and bring in a paycheck. Not your fault, it was a lie repeated tens of thousands of times and rooted in your subconscious ( same with a lot of other harmful lies ). Hmmm. That might be an article!

      Delete
    4. IH,that part about the bank preferring foreclosure instead of short sale is so true, at least that's the way it went for me when #2 lost her mind to the devil and ruined me financially. I owned the property the financed house was built on, almost 5 acres but this was in the middle of the real estate crash and there were no buyers at the time so the robber bank took it and sat on it until the market recovered then sold it. It was terrible at the time but I learned so much from the experience, such as the realization that I don't need credit to live and debt is the Devils tool.
      Great hair you have there Jim!

      Delete
    5. I agree with the debt free. IH, I do have shelter. A newer 16x80 single-wide that is paid for. And my land note is held by a friend so foreclosure is not a huge threat although indentured servitude could be lol. I do have enough put back for a few years of taxes.

      I moved onto this land over 6 years ago but a divorce 3 years ago set me back. I've finally paid off the equity from the divorce and seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

      I'm really anxious to build my house. With hurricanes and other threats I want to be in something more substantial plus be better prepared for a grid down situation. I'm not getting any younger and want to build soon. I guess I will force myself to stay in this trailer for another 5 years. I'll see what happens.

      Thanks for reinforcing what I have been debating with myself.

      Delete
  7. Chuck, I been there, lost house, land and 28 years of savings because of wife from hell. Chapter 7 even. I have recovered some now and just want to be smarter with what little spare money I have than before. Seems a running theme here is nasty mean spouse screwing up finances then leaving and continuing to take for years and years after. I was lucky, no offspring too support afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had that motorcycle accident Chuck. Will never be employed again in my field.
    But I had my preps, a good wife and a few good friends (Jim & company )
    Still have years of preps and my life, albeit I certainly move slower.
    I'll keep the wife, never will ride a motorcycle on the street again though lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure the wife appreciates your slower movements, able to catch and discipline you easier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 5:44- it is a running theme here because only the smarter ones read here. You are smart enough to fight a spouse rather than cave in to their FemiNazi BS. So you get screwed. Then, being poor, you have no choice but to go frugal prepping. So, yes, you read me because you are smart, but also desperate :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. JD 2:58
    Yeah, she can catch me easier now, but I've always called her the Dragon Lady. One bad assed woman who takes no shit from anyone, including myself.
    We go well together...

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Light a fire under your ass, people. Your ability to earn money won't last much longer."
    Exactly.
    This is what everyone should be prepping, first and foremost for.
    No income.
    Plus no 'safety nets'.
    Forever.
    Once you are fully prepped for that, prepping for anything else is just icing on your cake.
    A debt free shelter, a store of cheap shelf stable calories, a source of pure drinking water, some sort of security, and a way to bribe the taxmen/raiders/healthcare workers, and you are set.
    Then you can start improving on those basics.
    Reinforcing of the idea of the basics is exactly why I read your blog.
    I cant/wont do everything as you suggest - things have to be adapted to fit specific situations after all, but your concepts and detailed examinations of possibilities seems to me to be providing the best value I can afford to pay towards my families survival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to get further down the rabbit hole than most. Just another service for loyal minions.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED