Thursday, March 31, 2016

certain peace of mind


CERTAIN PEACE OF MIND

I know it seems counterintuitive but once you submit to the Dark Side, once you know with a certainty that We Are All going To Die A Horrible And Elongated Death, you can sit back and relax.  This isn’t really all that much of a conundrum, because it is fear of the unknown we fear, not fear itself.  It is the uncertainty and anticipation of the unknown that causes stress, not the actual event ( even if unpleasant ).  If you are going to the dentist for the first time, for instance, you fear the pain.  But subsequent visits, even if you know that the pain you are going to suffer is unpleasant, are not nearly so bad ( they are still certainly NOT looked forward to, but they aren’t as feared as much ).  Plus, say they come out with a better procedure.  Less pain is involved.  You can almost dismiss the severity of visits now, the pain being so much less it ends up being so much better.  I am very nervous about heights.  Once as a kid we were visiting Carlsbad Cavern and I completely freaked out on the spiraling staircase, even though it was caged in.  Since then, I’m no damn fool and avoid heights when possible, and I certainly don’t do something idiotic like go skydiving, parasailing or ballooning, but I also can handle the issue much better than before. 

*

This is not to say you conquer fear by repetition.   You just aren’t paralyzed by it.  And there are other ways of dealing with fear.  With heights, you almost don’t have any choice but to deal with it in some way.  If I’m going over a bridge, if I’m too close to the edge I still get that “testicles retracting into the torso” feeling.  But what else can you do but deal with it?  Some things I feared I just discount.  Test anxiety, for instance.  What I did to deal with that was to start not caring.  I needed to pass tests to pass High School?  Fine, I don’t care what my grade point average was, I’m not going to college ( I think mine was a B- and that was without trying hard except in those subjects I enjoyed ).  You need to go before a review board to get an NCO rank to stay in the service to retire?  Fine, I don’t want to stay in, anyway.  All a bunch of politically correct office politics.  A review board for civilian law enforcement?  I went through a couple, despite my fears, and they were just as bad as expected.  Fine, I’m not cut out to be a LEO anyway.  No need to fake interest anymore ( it should be noted that this was decades ago when the cops weren’t so trigger happy and you had more of a fear of when to use deadly force ). 

*

Now, as far as The End Of The World, let me tell you by personal experience, more education on the subject does nothing to dispel worry or fear.  The exact opposite in fact.  Ignorance is indeed bliss.  The more I learned, the scarier it got.  You can’t educate yourself to understanding without finding out you were an ignorant twat before and yes, you are going to friggin die.  Before, it was so easy.  Some food storage and some guns and a reasonable plan of action and, poof, you are saved!  Ah, the good old days of beginner prepping.  Now, I know, you know, and Ross Perot knows that we are all indeed very much humped.  Survival odds are way down.  Not that I’m all that concerned now.  Past fifty years of age, even in good health ( far less in poor ), and every day is a bonus ( you can’t even count of money to save you through medicine anymore, the industry so chocked with greed and desperation-which is probably why the VA looks so much better nowadays.  There was never the profit motive there and in the private sector, from insurance to pharmaceutical to hospitals, the profit motive has almost completely crowded out the altruism and compassion, making government health care shine in comparison ), I’m not overly fond of day to day survival odds, never mind the Apocalypse.

*

But, conversely, the more you know and the more afraid you become, the easier it is to see the inevitable acceptance.  All you have to do is say, yep, there is no way out and we WILL die unnaturally.  Now that removes the uncertainty of the unknown.  You KNOW what will happen.  No more wishful thinking we can kick the can down the road.  No more hoping beyond hope that something will come along to bail us out.  You know it is End Game, period.  As long as you hope, you are panicking, desperately looking for a solution.  Once all hope is gone, you can relax.  You sleep okay.  Perhaps not the sleep of the just, but you have less stress than normal.  I mean, I don’t mind knowing a bullet to the head is in store for me.  I don’t worry about eating or getting through winter, those things are taken care of.  But there is no escaping the crowds unless you Go Hermit.  I will bug out, and have help, but I’m not convinced I can avoid all the crowds.  So, I know my fate ( even as I’ll fight to avoid it-I’m not fatalistic ).  And I look forward to getting to shoot some of the bastards first.  I have a lifetime of repressed hostility and while I’m materially prepped to survive a long time, I’m also mentally prepped to go out fighting with a smile on my face.  We are all going to die, so go out with style and without worrying about it too much.

END

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page.  IF YOU DON’T SEE THE AD, DISABLE AD BLOCK ( go to the Ad Blocker while on my page and scroll down the menu to “disable this site” ). You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.  Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for mere Book Money, so do your part.*** 
*Contact Information*  Links To Other Blogs *  Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com
*Link To All My Published Books
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

13 comments:

  1. All that is needed is some appropriate background music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Past fifty years of age, even in good health ( far less in poor ), and every day is a bonus.”

    That's for sure James. While you hear of plenty of people living into their upper 80's, and sometimes even 90's, it's probably bad policy for an individual to think that they will be one of the lucky ones.

    Look at Patty Duke, only 69? I remember watching the Patty Duke show (Repeats, I'm the same age as you) when she just a teenager. I then heard just last night that actress Margaret Blye died at age 73 (Some of you may not know the name, but she was in Hombre with Paul Newman and the original Italian Job).

    Yep, count every day that you awaken and thank your lucky stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad is getting into his late 70's and it is all due to meds. He doesn't seem all that happy ( old school stoic type, he doesn't share ).

      Delete
  3. 50 year old dude ... and yup, is a significant milestone in life ... have known personally a few who passed on younger than me & others who were not much older ... and even in relatively good shape, no major issues to speak of, this half century body has its ways of putting up mortality reminders when I need a swift slap upside the head

    I like that notion of seeing each day as a bonus & do indeed take comfort in fully acknowledging this ride called life will end sooner than I probably think ... so be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to live each day like I'm maximizing my free time. Like semi-retirement. It's the only retirement I'll see, and it could always be my last day anyway. It used to be, I could get run over tomorrow. Now, it is, my heart could give out tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Yep, as that old mohave rat guest post 'Fuck It' expressed, you do what you can and what you can't get done, don't worry about it. One way or the other, we all get a turn. How we die is up to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to die. I'd like to be swilling whiskey, bedding wenches and bayonetting enemies, but I'm sure it won't be that glamorous.

      Delete
    2. Reminds me of a poster I once saw: "I came into this world kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I plan to go out the same way."

      Delete
    3. Stuck inside an elephant? I don't get it.

      Delete
  5. (Now, as far as The End Of The World, let me tell you by personal experience, more education on the subject does nothing to dispel worry or fear.)

    That's true if you only inform yourself without taking action.


    But action always cures worry or fear because it address the problem head on.

    Example: There is only 3-days of food in the stores and any disruption can cause shortages.

    Cure, buy, store, grow extra food so you have months or even a year of food. Suddenly you are not at the mercy of the on-time delivery system and all it's shortfalls.

    Apply this to every problem and you are solving problems and don't live in fear.


    I've always been a person that finds solutions and then did them. It gives me control of my future more then most people.

    We all are part of the system, but the more you operate at the edge or just outside of the system the better off you will be.

    Chuck Findlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My issue is learning of true systematic collapse. There is little one can do to prep for it, successfully. You prep, because to not do so is suicidal, but don't delude yourself into thinking it is long term. Shoot for that, but don't expect it. We all live too close to civilization and the whole kit and caboodle is going down.

      Delete
    2. A little prepping (because you are poor and trapped, which is better than prison) done right helps give people enough hope to stop playing State Video Poker. It might buy enough time to find the guilty and make sure they get the correct outcome.

      pdxr13

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED