Friday, March 18, 2016

home remedies


HOME REMEDIES

Home remedies used to be a normal part of my childhood, several volumes from Rodale Press or what-not gracing my mothers “care for the coneheads” tool kit.  And since then I haven’t given it a whole lot of thought, per se.  Sure, when something ails me, I’ll look up on the Internet a home remedy.  And usually they are of little use.  For instance, heartburn has really been making me its bitch these last few years.  I’m not sure how much of that is all in my head due to stress, as I had similar issues while we were pregnant and beginning a pre-divorce mutual hatred.  At the time, on a mere $13k job, health care was included in the benefits and so both pregnancies/deliveries and all the doctor time for my stomach was free ( compared to making $11k now and having to pay for the sin of not paying the banker/insurance industry 50% of my gross pay to carry/use medical insurance-what a difference a couple of decades makes ).  They found nothing in all the tests, and I’m talking severe, wake up in the middle of the night wishing I could puke intense pain.  So it must have been psychosomatic.  A few years ago, after work started screwing with me, the heartburn began and I’m sure it was mental.  Regardless, the only “cure” they talk about is baking soda, and too much of that crap isn’t great for you.  I might as well stick with Rolaids and eliminating certain foods from my diet ( too many eggs, ice cream-frozen yogurt is okay-and such things.  I wonder how much is stress and how much is old age ).

*

Well, a nice minion, not being so selfish and only thinking of themselves like others I could name, offered a wonderful article idea.  What about home remedies?  Simple enough, it was just that it had been off my radar screen.  My entire survival medical kit is aspirin, Pepto, Kotex and duct tape, and not much else.  Pain killer is one bottle of vodka and one of whiskey ( the whiskey will be used primarily to toast the Apocalypse when it comes, for I’d like to break the seal, pour a minimal amount, holler at all the incredibly naïve idiots populating the world what douche bags they are, then lock and load and prepare to take some of the sumbitches with me.  If I make it past the initial outbreak of violence, the remaining whiskey will be medicinal ).  I’ve been thinking of getting the dentist tools for extracting teeth, a surely profitable investment, but I never seem to have an extra $50 hanging around. 

*

I went ahead and ordered a book on home remedies, as looking this crap up on the Web is nothing more than a low slow slog through ads and boggy sites.  But I did take notes on three ailments.  My criteria was it had to be a minor issue easily dealt with using something simple that if ignored could wind up killing you.  Burns, because of potential infection and the pain issue.  Worms, because they can make you sick or sluggish or worse.  And diarrhea since quick dehydration can kill you ( on all our minds after the Ebola scare ).  The sugar and salt re-hydrator does you little good if you are crapping out the liquid as fast as you drink it.  You need to re-hydrate AND stop the runs.  As it turns out, cinnamon seems to be a good bet.  1 teaspoon of that and one of sugar added to a cup of boiling water.  You can also use either baking soda or apple cider vinegar, but both those call for lemons.  I can’t imagine we all have fresh lemons on hand.  Perhaps that lemon juice in a bottle?  The two formulas are one half teaspoon baking soda with the juice of two lemons.  Or, a quarter cup of vinegar to three quarters cup water with the juice of three lemons.  Pickle juice alone is also recommended.

*

Now, obviously Imodum or whatever the anti-diarrhea pill is, in cheap generic packs, is superior for quickly stopping the runs.  You really should have both the chemicals and the home remedies.  Not that we always have what we should.  But when the pills run out, common household goods might still prevail.  On to combating worms.  Garlic is the best.  Three gloves on an empty stomach every day for a week.  Or, diatomaceous earth, food grade obviously.  Around a half teaspoon in water.  Continue daily until symptoms abate.   You can also crush up roasted pumpkin seeds, a tablespoon mixed with an equal part honey, every day on an empty stomach for a week.

*

For burns, honey, yogurt or egg whites on the wound help with healing.  For the pain, a piece of onion laid on the spot.  Now, obviously there are more medical issues I’ve failed to cover.  I’d ask you all to contribute in the comments.  What other potential fatal untended ailments would you try to prep for?  I’m not talking about long term things such as cancer.  Rather, what needs to be in a immediate first aid kit, both over the counter meds and home remedies?  And, no, I’m not covering fish med antibiotics.  That would be financially above what I cover here.  With suggestions, I’ll eventually write a part two to this subject.

END

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page.  IF YOU DON’T SEE THE AD, DISABLE AD BLOCK ( go to the Ad Blocker while on my page and scroll down the menu to “disable this site” ). You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.  Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for mere Book Money, so do your part.*** 
*Contact Information*  Links To Other Blogs *  Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com
*Link To All My Published Books
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

40 comments:

  1. leaving out anti-virals and anti-biotics, you should also look at wound care. Infections from deep abdominal punctures are a 90%+ guarantee of death without modern medicine, but deep punctures or slashes on limbs IS survivable with only basic home remedies and a willingness to do what is necessary to the wound - clean (rubbing alcohol and sterilized distilled water), prevent bleeding (sterile gauze and cotton packing and clamping, sewing, or cauterizing the veins and arteries closed) re attachment of connective tissue (sewing again with dissolving type sterile thread or having to pull the thread out aka reinjuring the area after sufficient healing) and finally covering the wound with something to keep the bacteria out but allowing pus to drain and air through to keep dry...
    So not really remedies per say but a trauma kit. The vodka or other high alcohol content distilled spirits is an essential part of such a kit, various home disinfectants is another. Don't forget something to set broken and sprained limbs (bones through skin used to be a killer too.)
    Oddly I believe modern trauma treatment knowledge is so wide spread not I think far more people in a collapse will survive these sorts of things than not.
    Don't forget the smelling salts for people who pass out or get knocked unconscious - there isn't much else one can do at home for head traumas (sew it up, wake them up, and pray)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, ol timey medicine was mostly praying. Herbs play a role, as does knowledge of germs, but mostly it is up to your genes and whatever feeble god you beg to.

      Delete
    2. (leaving out anti-virals and anti-biotics, you should also look at wound care. Infections from deep abdominal punctures are a 90%+ guarantee of death without modern medicine)


      I don't know that I agree with that. the books below cover antivirals and antibiotics very well and very extensive. With these 2-books and the herbs he recommends you can fight off lots of things. Both books really give you an education in what does and does not work.

      These books are not normal herb books, they are focused, they are only about antivirals and antibiotics, not general herb recipes. Well worth having.

      Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging & Resistant Viral Infections

      http://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Antivirals-Remedies-Resistant-Infections/dp/1612121608

      Herbal Antibiotics, 2nd Edition: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug-resistant Bacteria

      http://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Antibiotics-2nd-Edition-Drug-resistant/dp/1603429875/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=510hhiCHZHL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107%2C160_&refRID=1XCH5RR8P9PE95P07SDP


      Chuck Findlay

      Delete
    3. Going on my Amazon Wish List. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I have a family member that had severe hart burn, he finally found that instead of too much acid he was short on it. Started drinking organic vinegar in a glass of water a couple times a day for relief. I think he says he only does it occasionally now. The thinking goes like this, not enough acid causes incomplete or slow digestion and crap just backed up. He did have tests that sent him in that direction before he started drinking vinegar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea to keep in mind. I'll try almost anything natural before resorting to meds.

      Delete
    2. Second that advice.

      Antacids like Rolaids are actually making your problem worse.

      I know it seems counterintuitive, but you actually need more acid not less.

      Try Bragg Apple Cider vinegar. It is unfiltered, unpasteurized and still contains the "mother". It's widely available.

      Idaho Homesteader

      Delete
    3. Yes apple cider vinegar is a treatment for acid reflux. Also some dietary changes may be in order.

      Delete
  3. Toothache - (broken off or otherwise)

    1)Twist a paper towel,
    2)saturate the twist with Vanilla (McCormicks or better),
    3)hold twist tight against affected tooth.

    If you did 1, 2, and 3 properly the pain will be completely gone in 10-20 seconds and stay gone for 24 hours or more. I've broke a molar off at the gum line last Nov and used the vanilla and the pain disappeared instantly and has not returned and I haven't went to the dentist for it yet. No sense in spending good money ($200+) if it's not necessary.

    If you've ever had a severe toothache you'll appreciate this godsend that most likely is in your larder right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great info! Toothache is one of the worst. I assume real vanilla?

      Delete
    2. Yes, real, like the McCormicks brand, or better, that costs more.
      I used the dollar store stuff and it worked too but not as well and not for very long.

      Also, a tsp of powdered cloves and a tsp of table salt in a few ounces of warm water, swished around in the mouth and concentrated on the affected tooth will work too but not nearly as good as the vanilla.

      I've had toothaches so bad that I wanted to put a gun to my head. If you haven't been there you don't know what you're missing.

      Delete
    3. We have Safeway brand generic. Probably not sufficient, but now I know what to do if that is not sufficient. Many thanks!

      Delete
    4. Just buy a bottle of Clove Oil from a herb shop or Amazon. It keeps for 10+ years and is only $20.00. And it works...


      I tried to buy clove oil at a normal pharmacy but no one seems to sell it outside of a herb shop these days. No idea why, but that's the way it is.


      Chuck Findlay

      Delete
    5. Just went crazy with 100 watt panels-I couldn't imagine them staying as cheap ( $1.39 a watt ) for long ( Russian ammo, anyone? ) so I got three. New Old Lady, who isn't as adverse to the Dark Side as when I met her, offered to share the cost. Just in case we end up living out off grid for whatever reason, now we can afford to run a solar fridge. It looks like they changed the extension plugs, though, the bastards. My point-I'll stick with the Vanilla for now as I pinch pennies for a bit.

      Delete
  4. My husband also suffered from terrible heartburn attacks.
    Try eating about 8 unsalted,raw almonds after every meal.
    Apparently this is a French remedy. He tried it and after
    about a week or so, no more heartburn. He was amazed and
    has been heartburn free ever since. We've told many other
    people about this and they've also found relief. Stay away
    from OTC heartburn medicine. They seem to give relief at
    first, but they have an accumulative process that only makes
    it worse the longer you take it.

    I have read your blogs for a long time and you never disappoint.
    Monday thru Friday, yours is the first site I peruse. I have to
    have my weekday dose of Dakin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that means more than you know. I'll keep the almonds in mind. Sounds great. I assume you can stop the almonds once the heartburn goes away? Or is it required henceforth? I've been doing really good with just eliminating foods, but you can't have too much info. Another less healthy but instant cure is lemon lime soda.

      Delete
    2. My husband only takes the almonds after his evening meal
      now. He's afraid the heartburn will come back if he doesn't
      use them. You could experiment with them and see what happens.

      Delete
    3. The Frogs invented mayonnaise and hence are the most advanced civilization ever ( the Arabs, with coffee, come in second, but only because Mayo seems to be higher on the "who-da-thunk?" scale ) and if they say almonds work, I believe it.

      Delete
  5. I'm all for home remedies if they are from ingredients that are readily available. As you mentioned with lemons, I doubt many people will have access to a ready supply of baking soda. Honey garlic and vinegar are good as they can be made or procured fairly easily in most areas but I am doubtful of many of the others. I'm still in the camp of folks that would rather stock the actual over-the-counter meds than stock the ingredients for home remedies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the OTC meds. I hate them. Now. After the collapse, a different story as there is no docs to fall back on. That said, baking soda is also toothpaste, so I would think all would stock it.

      Delete
    2. Catch a big batch of lemons on sale, slice em up, then throw en in the dehydrator, then into the grinder, make powder out of em, then store in mason jars or vacuum seal.
      Make sure you scrub the hides well cause you're using the whole thing.

      Here's the first part:
      http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/dehydrating-lemons/

      Delete
    3. That sounds like a great idea, ghostsniper, because I discovered lemon juice does go bad fairly quickly in storage. I was making my own lemonade and found a great sale, so I really stocked up, but after about a year it started turning brown.

      Another alternative to lemon juice or lemon powder is lemon essential oil. It's not quite the same, but stored unopened away from light and heat it is supposed to have a very long shelf life.

      And baking soda is a wonderful prep item: versatile, cheap, and stores well as long as kept dry (and that include humidity).

      Delete
    4. I tried drying potatoes the other day and they turned out too weird to keep. Perhaps I blanched them too long. The picture of those lemons looked a lot like those potatoes :) Now I'm drying apples and I can only conclude they came from China-tasted nasty and are taking three times as long to dry as other apples. GMO?

      Delete
  6. Speaking of remedies- here is a good remedy for some local gene-pools
    http://loweringthebar.net/2014/06/new-york-to-ban-tiger-selfies.html
    Warning do not drink and read this article otherwise you might ruin your keyboard.
    We should find similar things to laugh our way into the end of this civilization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, the point is that the law SHOULD be that if you want a picture with yourself cuddling with a predator, that should be encourage as if can only improve the gene pool we just have to make certain the predator is properly (minimally) fed, not drugged, and fully armed as a natural predator is supposed to be. Thus those pictures on dating sites would actually be worth while for showing women who would be worth breeding with.
      So the a law about butt probing should make it so that you HAVE to taste the finger used to probe it.

      Delete
    2. For some reason, staged pictures with tigers reminds me of the movie Scarface. Tony had a pet tiger, for whatever reason, and look at the skinny bitches he liked. My point being, do we want those gals who like tiger dudes?

      Delete
    3. We don't want either side breeding, feeding half of them to tigers would help at least a little. And improve the genetics of what ever remains of that remaining half. And get us some predators that could help cut down the rest of the useless eater population during the collapse (lions and tigers, oh MY!)

      Delete
    4. So few worthy breeders out there, and way too much time and food for them.

      Delete
  7. Most likely what I've got--stomach lining in the esophagus called 'barack's (no joke) esophagus.
    Ompeprazole over the counter. Not too $$$.
    Works and worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Rolaids"

    Also the definition of a homosexual gentleman that's confined to a wheelchair, per the old joke ;)

    Yeah, I'm that minion that just had to go there :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim

    What's your current email? That time of year again for my visit. Also there's finally plots in your area for sale

    Gil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jimd303@reagan.com
      That's three zero three, not 3-oh-3
      Hope to hear from you-and this year we can put you up on-grid.

      Delete
  10. Wow, I've never had so many problems posting to this site before? 5th attempt !

    Good topic James. I've heard that sugar, honey, and pine pitch all have antiseptic properties. Keep meaning to get some more medical books. I have the Bradford Angier book on emergency wilderness care. Downloaded the PDF's of “Where there is no doctor/dentist” and have those somewhere, but obviously a hard copy is what's needed for this scenario. Also wish listed the dental kit, and would like to add the military field surgery kit to my list as well.

    I'm interested in herbal medicine, but am somewhat skeptical to its effectiveness? According to Grandpappy (A different minion posted his useful link here one time) herbal medicine was not generally effective from his personal experience. None the less, he recommends it since you may have little other options in an emergency? His site is actually very good. It's from the standpoint of a Christian, but there is still a lot of good information there if you can look past that.

    https://grandpappy.org/hssfirst.htm





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall visit this grandpappy of which you speak. Thanks. There is always an issue posting here, for both of us, but it does allow for a true democratic press for the people.

      Delete
    2. “There is always an issue posting here, for both of us, but it does allow for a true democratic press for the people.”

      Good deal James, yes, I know that it wasn't your fault; just talking out loud with my keyboard. Usually they go through after the second attempt, so this was a first?

      Delete
    3. I knew you weren't bitching AT me but TO me, and recognize the difference. No worries. At times, the errors chap my ass. I've lost writing myself. I was just trying to look on the bright side. I do that, but rarely :)

      Delete
  11. “I've lost writing myself.”

    I don't ever lose anything James, because I learned a long time ago to put everything to word document right off. Some people actually type these posts off the cuff, and then when it glitches, they lose everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm paranoid about my regular writing, but comments I do "off the cuff". Old habit from when my Internet was severely limited at work living off grid.

      Delete

  12. what a chic coiffure you have!
    just got this from a friend who broke up housekeeping.

    grannie's remedies
    by mai thomas
    gramercy publishing company
    1965
    loc cat. no. 66-27823
    brit. pub. wolfe publishing ltd.
    121 pp. plus index


    see if you can get it through interlibrary loan.

    i would not stake my family's life on it, but some of these old things ,i think, serve 2 purposes.
    1 makes you feel like you are at least helping some
    2 may offer some relief to the patient while nature takes its healing course.

    some remedies work, like inner bark of willow as aspirin, because they are the original med before mass manufacturing came about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the Countryside one, not thrilled with it. I'll be looking for another one.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED