Thursday, September 3, 2015

captain obvious


CAPTAIN OBVIOUS
*
HEY!  What the hell?  Have you ordered the second issue of Malthusian Survivalist Newsletter yet? Link:
MSN #2 on Kindle
*
I just pre-ordered the book "One Year After".  It ain't cheap, even on Kindle, so if you want to wait as soon as I get it I'll prioritize reading it and then review it.  Just another service I offer to buy your love and admiration.  Here's the link in case you hadn't heard about it:
One Year After
 *
I’m just as much a sucker for a good calamity as anyone, so I keep clicking on links proclaiming shock and awe titles pertaining to the Coming Soon To A Theatre Near You Economic Collapse.  And almost inevitably I feel stupid after reading past the first paragraph ( after I wait a good long while for pop ups and video ads to stop larding up the text- even our boys over at Zero Hedge don’t seem to want you to actually read their articles anymore, anytime you navigate through their pages you have to constantly wait.  I could play online games faster.  Well, the girlfriend does.  I can’t abide Masturbation Muscle Work Out Entertainment ).  These articles, even the ones from seemingly world famous financial guru dudes, either claim the fundamentals call for collapse ( although in a rigged market, why bother with that false signal? ) or confuse market collapse with financial collapse.  Granted, it isn’t all bad or completely useless, but there is very little practical information being disseminated.   It just seems that what you are mostly getting is a version of “I’m smarter than everyone and I demand you panic now”.  Isn’t that most of survivalism advice anymore?  Nothing but one perceived panic after another, ad infinitum.  I don’t know whether the aim is to collect AR-15 magazine and MRE vendor ad dollars or to cash the paycheck from a branch of the federal government in charge of keeping the sheep calm ( the more the doom merchants chant one false prophecy after another, the less people believe them and their message ). 

*

“An economic collapse will occur in fall 2015”.  Thanks Captain Obvious.  Okay, sure, the timing might be off a bit, but it isn’t exactly far from the highly probable.  The question we want answered of course, is “how bad will it be?”.  Will it be 1929 bad?  1970’s bad?  2008 bad?  Fall Of Rome bad?  Everyone wants you to run out and buy their crap as disaster is immanent, and for the most part it doesn’t matter if they are spot on or full of rat feces.  Once you are geared up, the timing becomes far less important.  Of course, the devil is in the details and you have to gear up intelligently and not just act like a moronic Tactical Tommy.  Make your money count and stock deep first, then come back later and improve the quality ( buying only one best rifle leaves you without back-ups.  Buying two bolts instead of one semi gives you back-ups, then later if there is time get the semi.  If you want to seem smarter than you are, buy the same caliber in everything as much as possible ).  But here is also where careers are made and charlatans are revealed, so pay attention to who is doing what.  If we as information consumers don’t police the rhetoric and hyperbole merchants, they keep fleecing from now until the next scare.  Right now almost everyone is Survival Land is trying to hump each other with stupid advice, overblown fear mongering, and out of control greed.  Tread carefully-caveat emptor.

END
 


Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year. *The Old Bison Blog: Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance: available as a free e-book, but not cleaned up or organized, at Lulu* My monthly newsletter: search at Amazon under Kindle “Malthusian Survivalist Newsletter”
*Contact Information*  Links To Others*  Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com
*My books: http://bisonprepper.blogspot.com/2015/04/my-book-links.html
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

 

 

23 comments:

  1. Your glorious top-knot blinds me!
    This one is spot on. I love scouting the interwebs sorting through all the chicken little crap for real information. I have had a bad feeling for some time just because of all the kicking the can down the road that's been going on for so long. Still believe in the long slow crash with occasional scary short drop offs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to believe in the long slow crash, I just think its prudent to plan for worse and hope for better.

      Delete
    2. The overall crash globally might (and probably will be) a long slow sort, but your local area and personal circumstances might be a sudden massive crash of some sort. AKA hurricane Katrina (New Orleans STILL isn't fully recovered), or Sudden unemployment with no hope of finding any other job anywhere ever.
      And with welfare of every sort shrinking quicker by the day, the safety net of the society as a whole is unraveling. Even inside the tribes and clans (clubs and families) there is getting to be less and less support for your hard times.

      Delete
    3. Inside families and clans there is indeed less support. Because they are not the top dog of social organization, having their roles forcibly taken over by the guberment. So they suffer as more and more resources are forced to the government. Example, all that money, ten percent of income or more, suddenly being channeled into "health" insurance. Now, less money to help out others. When my taxes at $10k a year income go from 20 to 30%, far less can help out family. Everyone just got that 10% tax added, as every job is cutting hours.

      Delete
  2. "after I wait a good long while for pop ups and video ads to stop larding up the text"

    Download Ad Block Plus for free. It will put a halt to most of your annoyances and even make things run a little faster.

    -Novice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most excellllant! Thanks for the advice-it never even occurred to me.

      Delete
    2. I was going to tell you the same thing. Its a great product. BTW I use it but unblock your web site so I can get your ads.

      Delete
  3. 1929 beats the heck out of Fall of Rome bad. Right now '29 looks good. It didn't all come apart in a day. Really, took months for many folks to be affected. My grandfather kept his crappy factory job all though the Depression and kept his large family fed. It was tough, but watch that the neighbors don't steal your firewood tough, not watch out for the neighbors trying eat your kids tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, "the neighbors trying to burn your kids as firewood" kind of tough.

      Delete
  4. Off topic info. I can't remember if it was mentioned here. I bought one of these and it works great for the last 3 months so far. Solar light by d.light http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJF86A6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
    Just got back from Lake Huron and the water is two feet higher than two years ago. No glacier feed. Lots of rain and ice cover in winter. Nice hair! Lake Erie pirate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at that light, it seems like quite a deal. Five years before the batt is dead, for $13? My $3 solar yard light went about two or three years before it died, but the light brightness was not great at all. I'd say, buy a few of these, one used while others in storage, $55 for light the rest of your life or nearabouts.

      Delete
    2. I have learned the hard way, disconnect your batteries from all loads (even a single LED will kill them) and have them intermittently or trickle charged to extend their lives. Very few batteries have more than a 10 year life span even put on the shelf in perfect conditions.

      Delete
    3. I have used the d-lights for a couple of years. They are simple yet effective.

      Bright enough to read by.

      The only downside is that in our bleak North Idaho winters, it usually takes two days worth of sunshine to get fully charged. So I have bought twice of what I need.

      On low light, they will go for ten hours.

      By through Jim's Amazon link to help support this site.

      Idaho Homesteader

      Delete
  5. More off topic. I found a well done free podcast on WWI that you and your readers might like. http://www.dancarlin.com/hh-55/ He also covers other areas of history. It makes my driving time educational. Also check out Armslist.com I find some good deals on old guns and ammo.LEp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brain is wired to reading. Audio has far less impact. But I'm far from normal. Audio in the car is actually the far better way of staying alert and road focused. And you don't have to stop and pee like with coffee.

      Delete
  6. America 1929 tough is nowhere near Russia 1920-22 tough. Merchant cannibalism, with pictures. West Coast was better than East Coast for cheaper land and gardening. California was fantastic in 20's 30's: The Promised Land (bring money).

    Don't forget giant fires, like multi-year Tillamook Burn, back when there were lots of awesome 1000 year old trees. Keep a distance from your fireproof house clear 100' or equal to the highest near tree. May need to cut trees.

    pdxr13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cali 70's was awesome compared to 90's, even. North Cali was actually true rural. A great place to grow up, a better place to leave.

      Delete
    2. “North Cali was actually true rural.”

      Some places still are James. When I drove up to Modoc last fall, I drove through some places that you were just praying that you did not break down!

      Lassen, Modoc, and a few others, still have areas that are so remote, that if you stepped off the highway and walked a few hundred feet into the woods, you would never see another human again.

      The problem is that even these areas are too expensive for my budget, and you're still dealing with the same zoning laws and codes that CA is so famous for. Also, a lot of the land that you find in such areas are huge parcels owned by big ranchers, though you might convince some to part with a few acres? You can still find some smaller parcels, but they're usually in a development.

      The only thing that I found to be affordable anywhere in Ca, was Modoc Pines (That place that Eric Estrada was pitching for a few years back) at $1500 an acre. Problem was that the county corruptly hiked the taxes up to be comparable to the surrounding land that was worth way more. Also, more rules in that place than Miley Cyrus has STD's!


      Delete
    3. I'm born and raised California and I truthfully feel absolutely zero loss at leaving. I gladly adjusted my cultural conditioning for other places to blend in and in return get far less govt. and taxes and affordable places to live. I have family in Cali but won't ever return, the place is such a craphole now. How is any crap job worth the stay there? Course, yes, I have low job standards. And course, yes, I'm a bit more divorced from family ties than most.

      Delete
    4. Same here James, born and raised here. I'm the minion that just got the Nevada land, and I hope to at least spend next summer there, and over the next few years, become a full time resident. Of course you're right, and even though it's pretty messed up everywhere you go now, CA is the absolute worst!

      The only hope for CA anymore is to go way out in the middle of no where, off grid, don't pull any permits, keep your IR signature low, and establish a stealth homestead beneath the forest floor. Most of us can't pull that off because we need to work, but if money was not an issue, that's about the only option left in the PRK if one cares anything at all about liberty.

      Delete
  7. Note from my recent experience: Ad Blocker Plus when used with the latest MicroSoft Internet Explorer ver 11 does not completely eliminate all ads. It still leaves in place those band-width robbing "Ad-choice" rotating ads that bogg down all page refreshes. I switched to Firefox on my Windows 7 OS and ALL ads were eliminated!!!! Something "fishy" with how Internet Explorer can't block everything! Thus I WILL NOT upgrade to the new Windows 10 even though it is free.....
    Bullpasture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all excited about no pop-ups at zero hedge, but then couldn't get my Amazon graphic ads to show in Blogger admin mode. Which is kind of retarded, them NOT being pop-ups, so I guess I was expecting something it wasn't. Then, the damn thing didn't accept my uninstall for that site. I had to get rid of the whole program, and I had just gifted them $5 when I downloaded it yesterday. Grrrrr.

      Delete
  8. "The only thing that I found to be affordable anywhere in Ca, was Modoc Pines (That place that Eric Estrada was pitching for a few years back) "

    Oops, I goofed, and meant to say CA Pines. Very cheap, but a very oppressive POA!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED