Thursday, November 10, 2016

call it retirement 2 of 2


CALL IT RETIREMENT 2

Yesterday, we talked about how to fool the spouse into allowing you to take some of your own money to stockpile and prepare for the collapse, by perhaps not spooking her with doom and gloom but instead pretend it is all for retirement.  I know, you know, and Ross Perot knows that Social Security is a Ponzi scheme of insane magnitude, only surpassed by planning on the Oil Age lasting forever.  Social Security was a brilliant move by the crippled demon spawn FDR, the first step in driving a wedge between family members by granting seniors financial independence.  It broke up the three generational family which was the staple of the family farm.  The other attack on our culture was to start the Women’s Lib crap by putting women to work for the first time.  Both of these policies also started to demolish the old barter economy and forced everyone towards the central banker controlled Greenback Economy ( least you forget, the vicious anal spelunking FDR confiscated all our gold just days after being elected ). 

*

Even if nobody can articulate their fears about Social Security ( the reason why old farts react so vigorously when youngsters show anger that they themselves while paying in at an increased rate will never receive any benefits is because those old bastards never understood how evil the system was and hence never took measures to survive without it.  Both fear, being financially destitute, and defensiveness at being a chump for supporting the welfare police state in its infancy, account for their illogical response to other generations resenting their “windfall” ), almost everyone that is working class or poor ( the 80-90% who are the peasants rather than the Oppressor Class ) will agree with you when you proclaim absolutely zero confidence that the retirement system will be around when you are ready to retire.  Everyone agrees that SS is just another screw job by the federals, a tax in all but name.  They still HOPE to get it, even while having no replacement due to shrinking wages and fears of inflation, but they know the pain will hit them sooner or later with only the timing an unknown. 

*

So how hard would it be to convince people that what you are doing is for retirement?  Even if some argue with you, almost all will understand it.  Your spouse included.  So the first thing you should do is shut up about Armageddon.  No one wants to hear that.  You aren’t doing them any favors, because they have enough stress in their lives as it is, and you aren’t doing yourself any favors by letting folks know of your deep larder.  I used to try to “help” people by trying to convince them that the end was nigh.  I quite that after awhile, and just stockpiled paperback copies of Lucifer’s Hammer and Howard Ruff’s early work.  When a friend or coworker expressed further interest in survivalism during routine daily conversations, I gifted them a copy of each book.  At the time the thrift stores had plenty of copies and my cost was usually fifty cents to a dollar.  It was a cheap and safe way to “pay it forward”.  It wasn’t until I hit about fifty that I realized, hey, why am I killing myself trying to explain to the spouse what I am doing?  I’m getting to be old myself.  I’ll just pretend this is all for retirement!

*

Now, obviously, nobody has ten guns and five thousand rounds of ammunition for retirement.  Unless they know you shoot regularly, you can’t really explain that one away.  But, if they know you shoot every month for recreation, you can explain stockpiling in terms of inflation and election year generated shortages.  Remember, you are trying to hide most of your stuff from both friends AND family.  The idea was to get a budget, not to approve each separate item.  You could go to the range and shoot just ten rounds, once a month, and if you make a production out of it nobody will question your case buying ( they think you were shooting a lot more ).  About everything else can be explained by retirement rather than a hobby.  You need extra food because of inflation, shortages, and the coming problem with having much cash ( as retirement funds are cut back and inflation hits ).  Rotating will explain why you are buying six month shelf life food twenty years before retirement, and no explanation will be needed for thirty year shelf life stuff, as long as you eat it now.

*

And you don’t even need to be all that old to sell this illusion.  Young’uns can talk about early forced retirement or permanent unemployment.  Not so hard to believe anymore.  Want to buy junk land?  Don’t sell it as a retreat for the collapse but rather a vacation lot ( to save money ) and a place to live if you have to and have no other choice ( pretend to be as reluctant to live primitively as the wife is ) if retirement ends up being short on cash.  Your wanting to replace a car with a bike is a sure wife pleaser.  You get in shape, please her in bed with your improved cardio and save money.  And, you stay in shape for retirement ( if you volunteer to be the one without a car, I can guarantee you your prep plans will meet less resistance.  Be a man and take one for the team ).  Stocking shoes and clothing?  Beating inflation for retirement.  Solar panels?  Saving money during retirement.  Same with extra insulation on the house, or moving to a smaller home.  You are planning and investing now to be much more secure in retirement.  Don’t sell it as survivalism but investment to reduce your need for money while still staying comfortable.  This plan doesn’t include night vision or other Tommy Tactical Toys.  Sorry.  You don’t need that crap anyway.  This also ties in to the “Prosperous Peasant Plan” book I’m starting any day now.  A lifetime worth of little items that make living easier and safer and more enjoyable.  Call it beating inflation and investing for a less generous Social Security retirement payout and you have covered your tracks as a mad bomber prepper.

END
 
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page.  IF YOU DON’T SEE THE AD, DISABLE AD BLOCK ( go to the Ad Blocker while on my page and scroll down the menu to “disable this site” ). You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.  Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for mere Book Money, so do your part.*** 
*Contact Information*  Links To Other Blogs *  Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com           *wal-mart wheat
*Link To All My Published Books
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there
 

11 comments:

  1. I'm lucky, the wife agrees with "stocking up for a storm". This is our inside term for any stock piling. Recently a bag boy asked why we bought certain items in the store. she said "what if we have a ice storm, we need a few things that are non-perishable." You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed that no one ever talked to me about buying two carts at a time for Y2K. No one. Now it is like, even after Katrina and Sandy, no one understands the need to stockpile as if nothing bad ever happened.

      Delete
  2. Spot on.
    In my own case the wife went right along with the idea of a small cottage to spend the weekends at.
    I can only imagine the resistance I would have met if I had told her it was housing insurance it hard times hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine likes the idea of camping out at my place. Not too primitive, not too far.

      Delete
  3. I like it. A lot. It has been my feeling for a while now that working as a cubical drone is to posess a set of skills that will be in declining need, and technical education is a wasted education because of how quickly the technical fields are changing and how easily outsourced they are (basically, once you are over 40ish, you can forget being able to climb toward the top of a technical profession if you aren't already there- and soon thereafter you will begin a slide toward irrelevance even if you work your butt off to try and "stay current/marketable"). So involuntary 'retirement' or 'semi-retirement' is coming soon to a lot of people. PM's are property tax insurance for post retirement. Shelf stable long term food is inflation insurance for post retirement. Cheap land, good garden, paid off minimal shelter, etc. All can be explained as retirement insurance and preparation. Anything done to reduce expenses now, improve health now, and preserve some quality of life for now and post "retirement" can be explained as part of a 'holistic' approach to retirement and getting old. Even moving to a small town can be explained the same way. And best of all it is true. It just replaces armageddon and collapse with retirement.
    Certain taci-tools (that a frugal prepper wouldn't likely be getting anyway) would be harder to explain, but even here a little bit of budget could be explained away as 'usefull to someone who needs to be more 'crime alert'' and offset an aging body.
    I prep for my old age as well as the old age of the civilization and empire I live in.
    I prep for the health of my descendants.
    I prep for legal issues and financial difficulties.
    I prep for sudden local and regional disasters and accidents.
    The fact that such 'preps' are also much of my 'retirement' plan and make good financial sense is just icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't think of the retirement camo earlier. In denial I was getting old, I imagine.

      Delete
  4. The overall message that I'm getting between yesterday and today's articles James, is that if you're already single, it would just be a hell of a lot easier to stay that way, and prep and spend however you damn well please.

    If you feel the need for a relationship so be it. But maintain separate residences and finances, and if she means that much to you, prep extra for her for when the time comes. Just seems like it would be a lot easier than playing a bunch of games and kissing ass to do what you wish with your own finances.

    Just my $.02 on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never legally married again after '97. And lived in No Common Law Marriage states. The bennies of marriage without the drawbacks ( of course, if she is able to spawn you are screwed regardless-I had a strict No Child Possible policy in place since the mid '90's. Menopause and hysterectomy's are your friend.

      Delete
  5. The key to a long and happy marriage?

    A detached garage.
    (right after the joint checking account mentioned before)

    Serious.
    She has hers, I have mine.
    She spends all day in the house and has it all set up just so, and I have my garage, about 60' from the house, connected with a 6' wide deck.

    I built this garage 10 years ago when we moved here because there was no garage and I'm a tool person. It is 24' x 36' and it has a 24'x24' 2 car garage with no vehicles in it and my office is 12'x24'. I have all kinds of stuff stock piled out here and she is none the wiser. She very rarely comes out here - all the dust and spiders and clutter. Me and my mutt come out here at about 6am and we go back in the house to crash about midnight. We also eat in the house too.

    About 2 years ago I started cleaning our 1 gal milk jugs out and filling them with filtered water and a tsp of bleach and now have about 80 gals for back up. One whole wall (24' long) in my office is gun stuff, floor to ceiling. I'm not as stocked as I'd like to be but I'm getting there, and it doesn't matter whether she agrees with it or not, it's none of her business and I'm not interested in *discussing* it. WTSHTF she'll be dam glad I was looking forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh...isn't that too much bleach in the wrong type of containers? Just saying.

      Delete
    2. Milk jugs are designed to degrade in UV. Real bleach containers (non-scented) are tough as heck.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED