Tuesday, May 15, 2018

WFB 4 of 4


WORK FOR BAUBLES 4
*
note: JW, you wonderfully beautiful bastard!  Thanks for the PayPal donation, bro.
*
note: free books.  Zombie https://amzn.to/2Kq2Jye .  Another https://amzn.to/2IFix34
*
note: you might like this article: https://mightygoods.com/bug-out-packing/
I was asked to bring this to your attention, but I'm not getting paid by the company.  If you don't feel like buying anything, just enjoy the article.
*
Okay, you know the best equipment sucks ass without training.  You know that chasing money is a endeavor delivering a diminishing return.  To loop back to the beginning, why are we concerned with earning more money to buy the best gun?  If you are busy chasing wealth, you probably are NOT going to train well enough to justify the gun purchase to begin with ( I’m not saying some won’t, I’m saying MOST won’t.  Dude, I know it is all about you, but I’m writing to everyone here ). 

*

Now, I can imagine that the original commenter had a vision dancing in his head how I’d double up on my writing, take a break from it as I went back to earning a paycheck and in two months quit to go back to writing, with a couple of kick ass guns added to my closet.  I’m sure that idea sounded good in your head.  I have those all the time.  Like, when you see the cow spray wicked diarrhea and you think, hey, that will be composted for tasty broccoli one day but as soon as you open the window the disgusting smell reminds you that reality and plans are two different things. 

*

I know my writing seems so grand, epic, stupendous and unparalleled anywhere that you think a deity himself penned their greatness, but I assure you that there is a fair amount of work behind them.  I enjoy the process, to the point I can now die happy, but it is still work.  I can obviously fill an article space on demand, but my work is better without the old daily distraction of working for Da Man.  I focus on writing, and as a price for that I accept living in poverty.  Don’t cry for me Argentina.  I’m in my Happy Place doing this.  Why would I want to go back to pre-self-employment, though?  I mean, seriously?  If you achieved freedom, would you want to return to the shackles? 

*

I mean, hump you very much!  I haven’t paid my dues already?  I’ve already worked 33 years, and two thirds of that was working two jobs, I’ll never see Social Security, and you want me to work even MORE?  What kind of bath salts are you smoking?  I’m still working, I’m just no longer working two jobs, nor am I in the living Hell of working for an incompetent supervisor.  Can’t you just be happy for me?  And that is where settling for less comes into play, because nothing is free in life.

*

You want to free your soul, you give up loving money.  You learn to do more with less.  You get yourself a  80/20 gun.  80% of the performance for 20% of the cost.  You don’t need to solve all your problems with money.  NOT needing as much money is far more liberating than needing MORE.  What, you’ll only drive a 60’s Ford Mustang because it has the most power?  Nobody cares about gas mileage anymore?  You know who has Mustangs now?  The same people that spend $20k+ on a Harley Davidson.  Rich middle age guys with no life, no happiness and no measurable dingus. 

*

A Toyota sedan isn’t The Best car, but it is cheaper and cost less to run and you don’t need to be a skilled race driver to deliver its potential.  It is just plain vanilla transportation.  It won’t get you laid ( the Mustang will only get you laid because its price tag is representative.  Gals hump money, not stability or security ).  But an AR won’t get you laid in the apocalypse, either ( nor before.  It is a bit of a ladies gun, if you think about it.  So, if you are a lesbian, it might get you some tail ). 

*

Frugal survivalism is as much of a skill as racking in the wealth is.  Doing without much money is easy enough.  Look at a bum in a cardboard box.  Learning to do WELL with very little money takes a bit more practice.  Although not as much.  A bum actually requires a lot more money to survive.  Boones Farm, crack, crack whores and Buglar roll your own gets a bit pricey after you build up an immunity to their effects.  You always need more, don’t you?  You talk to the homeless, they are quit proud they scammed Yuppie Scum out of $30 that day.  And that lasts two days, max.  Living a normal frugal lifestyle is cheaper.  So don’t give up that fight.

*

But the thing about NOT being an alcoholic or a consumer is that you usually are forced to be completely sober.  No drinking means not one friggin sip.  And avoiding the opiate of consumption means you don’t get a windfall and go back to shopping.  Windfalls to consumers are called rainy day saving funds to frugalists.  The only way you stay on course is to give up consuming to the highest degree possible, then stay being that frugal.  You must train yourself to deny any temptation, just as if you were a recovering alcoholic.  It isn’t easy as it is, growing up in our era.  If you keep back sliding it goes from damn hard to near impossible. 

*

Buying junk land, that is not consuming.  That is investing in a rent free future.  Buying a gun?  It quickly goes from investing in self defense to luxurious consumption.  If you can’t draw the line, you’ve got a long way to go before you delegitimize the race for wealth that will consume your life.  But wait, our commenter protests, Jim was the one droning on and on about the effectiveness and desirability of an improved arsenal!  Sure I was.  I also waxed eloquently on the merits of Kelly LeBrock as a bed warmer during her heyday.  I could have chased fame and fortune and lured her away from Steven Segal, but it made much more sense to simply settle for a BTN ( better than nothing ) mate.

*

You can discuss the best of anything.  Chasing it is a different kettle of fish entirely.  Let’s face it, life is simply far easier if you don’t chase the best of anything ( except for your passion activity and a loving family.  The wife might not look like Kelly, but is doesn’t matter as long as she is faithful and loving ).  And you might be poor, but that doesn’t matter as long as nobody goes hungry or goes without shoes.  Do they want dad to buy them crap, or spend time with him?  Okay, granted, most kids are selfish little bastards and just want gifts.  Which is what we have nowadays, selfish humpers bribed by parents chasing the dollar. 

*

You think a song like Cat’s In A Cradle would have much impact today?  Today it would be viewed as instructional.  I’m not trying to demonize Money Chasers.  If that is your thing, and it makes you happy, go for it.  Just don’t judge others for not sharing your hobby as Scrooge McDuck.  Plenty of folks don’t care about consumption because the cost is self confinement in an atmosphere they don’t care for.  You say, “Isn’t your life worth the best?”.  I say, “my life isn’t worth monetizing”. 

END ( today's related link https://amzn.to/2ry4CBa )
 

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page ( or from www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). ***You can make donations or book purchases through PayPal ( www.paypal.me/jimd303 )

*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods or buy a book. If you don't do Kindle, send me the money and I'll e-mail it to you in a PDF file.  If you donated, you may request books no charge.   My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184
*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

 

25 comments:

  1. Well done Jim! This article series is descriptive of my current station in life. I lost a job, and am going to settle for low level employment, part time-on call etc, to just cover very basic bills. I was fortunate to have aquired the baubles early on and paid everything off (just food/utilities/basics now) I am very weary of the corporate grindstone and consumeristic attitude to every thing, by everyone, and everywhere one turns. The free time available allows for more prep tasks, exercise regimen, as well planning and strategy excercises. Minions would do well to emulate, if possible to do so, as the rewards are rich beyond the fake money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I mean baubles are never enough. Today's super cool ninja carbine must be replaced by the Next Best Thing. It never ends. Peace of mind is simply not caring enough to get overly excited.

      Delete
    2. Peace of mind, wow! Think of that nowadays with all the drama and emotions. Golden rich, golden rich!

      Delete
    3. Were humans always this dramatic? Queens everywhere. Well, I guess if you aren't daddies little princess anymore you can be a Drama Queen.

      Delete
  2. Thats is a really thoughtful piece, all 4 that is. I like the critical thinking. I really did get much from it, because I've been down this road in my own individual circumstances.
    I have to say there where these unknowns my life experience couldn't help me get around. When Max Velocity first began his small unit infantry tactics school I got in touch to ask a couple questions. Max struck me as a seriously down to earth guy, willing to do something no one was, because he saw a vital need for the citizen themselves to be grounded in the most elemental aspects of combat. It really was that simple, the tactics, they provided as specifically tailored to the part time citizen soldier, just as described in these 4 posts. There was no fancy tactical shooting laying down under a car, nothing like that, this combat training consisted of 2 basic concepts; React to contact, fight through, our move out of contact, depending on just a few elements of the live combat. That was it. Really. There where basic study of forms of movement in teams beginning with 2 people, because the premise as Max thought us, these basic rules of patrolling, contact, fire & movement, and advance of withdraw, applied to 1000 fighters same as 2 fighters in combat.

    Simple.
    Concise.
    Practical.
    Common sense.
    No fluff or BS.

    What Max taught me, was I leaned the imponderables of hot experiencing combat and living through it. It was exactly what I needed, to then go back home and apply this essential knowledge to my own preparations come what may.

    What I learned empowered me in ways I never understood or knew existed. Things I easily incorporated into my daily life, my thinking, my perceptions. Practical. Useful. I became truly armed where it counts, in the mind, your best weapon.
    In a word to was Transformational.
    I have had since a few instances where these things Max taught me have been put to use, and in real life, they are exquisite fundamentals. I know if I can live through my first combat action, all the rest of those imponderables and unknowns will click into place.
    These learnings are to me, and I can only speak for my understanding, not perishable skills, they are in some ways healthy survivor instinctual actions defined and applied into practical circumstances. There is no guess work or winging it, they are absolutes. It is how we use them effectively that matters, which are the unknowns now for me till: Contact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta admire the ability to distill down to basics and no BS. Rare.

      Delete
  3. Speaking of Mustangs... you've heard me mention about a CJ Jeep I've got stashed in a barn in Idaho. Well...parked right next to the Jeep, is my wife's 68 GT Fastback Mustang. We parked those rides twenty years ago in the Sons barn and forgot them basically.
    Kinda like a stashed bit of wealth only with old cars ?
    Does that make us crazy , to just let that Mustang sit all these years. One day , I suppose we've gotta deal with em.
    Hard when you live three thousand miles away though.
    BTW , my wife bought the Mustang in 69 for right at $3,000. Pretty good return on investment eh ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gold was $41 then. 73 ounces. $95k today. Not as simple as that, obviously. Other factors involved. Median salary was 2.5x. Median salary today is $43k, way below, more like 1x the price of the vehicle. But, going from gold, a Mustang costs less. I think that tells us our salaries are way too low more than it tells us about the price of gold. Or, it could tell us how crappy today's cars are because they should be much cheaper. Hmm. Hard to do an analysis. I feel like I'm forgetting something.

      Delete
    2. Unless maintained in serviceable condition, and also protected from rot decay rust or deteriotated parts rendering unservicable then it will have diminishing returns. All gear must have a custodian/caretaker to some degree if kept or stored over long terms. If of value to someone else security must be provided for as well. Even the B-pods get looted.....

      Delete
    3. "Does that make us crazy..."

      Yes. Cars, like all other man made things, deteriorate with regular maintenance. The parts for old Mustangs are unbelievably scarce (expensive) now.
      It would have been far better for someone to have maintained them, drive em a little, get oil changes, etc., all the usual stuff. And hope like hell they don't crash it or let it get stolen.

      That $3k price is probably about right. I knew a guy that came back from VN in 1969 and bought a brand new Camaro SS for $2600.

      I bought a like new 66 Mustang convertible with the big engine (289/250hp)in 1972 for $1000 and wish I still had it.

      Delete
    4. 3:14-but, what about Rourke's stashed vehicles that lasted through his three century cyber-sleep? You just hoist them up in the air! :) Had to rub that salt in, didn't you? LOL :)
      GS- I could have picked up muscles cars through the early 80's for scrap price. Seeing what they go for now...Meh, if I wanted Would-a/Could-a's I'd reminisce about all the ex wives. Oh, well. I guess we all wish we'd bought a house ten years prior to the bubble :)

      Delete
    5. Actually the cars are in a waterproof barn and blocked up. The Mustang has the GT 390 big block and four speed tranny. The son rotates the engine about once a month too.

      Delete
  4. "Like, when you see the cow spray wicked diarrhea and you think, hey, that will be composted for tasty broccoli one day”


    Well, thanks to you, I will never be able to eat broccoli ever again! Because now whenever I think about it, I’ll picture Rosie O’Dumbbell grazing in a pasture, as an enormous black mass erupts from her double wide ass and on to my prospective broccoli! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's about the best thing to do with broccoli, shove it up Rosie's ass. It would improve the flavor, and she might lose some weight with the enema's.

      Delete
  5. Another great series!

    You know, the minute you buy your first FLIR they'll release one that turns night into day that you wear as normal glasses requiring no batteries ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With X-Ray vision you can use to see through a woman's dress?

      Delete
    2. X-Ray Spec's are old-tech sold on comic book covers in the 1970's. Sony Nite-Shot video camera used during the day makes a lot of clothing transparent, but she still won't talk to you.

      FLIR thermal viewers are super-neat, but they are not invulnerable to countermeasures. I'd rather have junk land, more ammo or storage food now, for the same money.
      pdxr13

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry sir, without a FLIR scope you cannot join the exclusive club!

      Delete
  6. Attention Vault-Co fans

    "After 7 million hits and being hand-deleted by Google and the Wayback archive as well, it has been "suggested" to me that I remove this blog. I am complying. Sorry I cannot continue. I am sure regulars knew something was wrong. I am keeping the domain name but was "asked" to take this specific blog down for good. I did not want to be "asked" twice so I am complying with this "request." I discovered tonight that I had already been placed on a "special" list by higher-ups at Google and do not want to advance to "another" list. I was told that this course of action was the peaceful resolution.

    Sorry again, I cannot talk about this and I am certain many people can figure out what has happened. I was informed that this would not escalate after I complied so I am ending Vault-Co after 17 years online. I cannot elaborate for reasons that should be obvious. I am just a single unaffiliated blogger who started this blog for free and has never advertised on it after 17 years. Apparently I warranted "special" handling. Thanks to all regular readers."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn. Hadn't been to vaultco for a month or so so I don't know what his most recent posts were about. Another one bites the dust.

      Re-thinking. Maybe it's a good thing that I hadn't stopped by lately.

      Delete
  7. Just a heads up (via Woodpile) for Bisons stacking Ruskie ammo http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/russia-makes-some-dangerous-guns-the-ammo-big-problem-25792?page=show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as a commentor on the article says, millions of rounds of Tula fired here in the US every year without issues. Look at the page "about us" in this publication. They are still pimping for Iraq's Weapons Of Mass Destruction. Un-friggin-believable! That tells you they have an agenda, so take that under consideration. I've always warned of Soviet quality control, for those buying old surplus crates, but I wouldn't put it on par with Wal-Mart goods from China ( other companies can carry better quality, but not our dear old Wally ).

      Delete
    2. Didn't read the article but I went through a couple boxes of Tula .223 last year with no problems.

      Delete
    3. You see YouTube vids from five years back on steel case. No one ever mentions the issues brought up in the article.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED