Wednesday, May 23, 2018

flyed lice 1 of 2, post 1 of 2 today


FLYED LICE
post 1 of 2 today
I can’t fathom that it would be a secret to any of you that I hold the beliefs and practices of 99% of preppers and survivalists in very low regard.  I don’t know if I’d go as far as to label them the Idiot Brigade, rather more likely the Very Ill Educated.  The baseline in learning the “craft”-for lack of a better term-seems to be set at near forth grade level.  As soon as it was perceived that money could be made off of the Soviet threat of nuclear destruction, more than likely the same folks that sold used cars to Blacks from the ghetto started hawking fallout shelters.

*

And it just went downhill from there.  Remember all those “fallout shelter foibles” from printed fiction and shows such as Twilight Zone ( why is it that some of the very best writers such as Serling and Rand were smoking chimney’s?  Does nicotine stimulate creativity that much?  I’ve been a very light smoker, so I couldn’t tell you )?  Even the original survivalist strategies were suspect.  Some of the first “experts” were probably just copying from old civil defense booklets ( “duck and cover!” ), and every hatched poor idea was copied after that and made worse in attempts as justifying the “expert” label. 

*

Not all ideas were poor, of course.  Some folks were actually quite original and logical.  Unfortunately it seems that few champion the older good ideas ( Kurt Saxon, Passport To Survival ) and instead parrot the old bad ideas that are like cockroaches, impervious to destruction ( semi-automatics, freeze dried foods, bug-outs ).  One idea that I have no idea where it originated was the Rice And Beans frugal food stockpile.  I’ve heard almost everyone recommend that combination, and I’ve also heard a good majority of them make comments such as “no one wants to live off them, but it is better than starving”.

*

Of course nobody wants to live off rice and beans after the apocalypse.  That crap is NASTY.  I’m talking “two weeks between showers prisoner ass right after he was pleasured the night before” nasty.  To recommend that anyone eat that slop is criminal.  Yet, everyone seems to think this should be the Go-To stockpile of poor folks, or even the filler needed to bulk up the insanely expensive freeze dried entrees.  Since they can’t afford anything else as they paid $15 a pound for hamburger.  Why?  If I had some idea as to the origins of this idea I might understand.  But I don’t.  This is a mystery wrapped in a riddle surrounded by dumbassness. 

*

Now, we all understand the “grain and bean” requirement.  If you cannot afford dried milk to compliment whole wheat, you add a legume to your diet as the grain and bean each have separate parts of a complete protein.  It substitutes for lack of meat in your diet.  In theory, rice and beans do this.  I say “in theory”  because I don’t recall the conversation differentiating between whole grains and milled grains.  When you remove the hull, does that remove the amino acids?  I know the protein content is reduced to a mere 15% once the bran and germ is removed.  But as far as the amino acids I’m clueless.  Does nutrient-less starch from the kernel still contain those acids?

*

Regardless, you cannot store whole grain rice as it quickly becomes unhealthily rancid from the hull oils.  You can only store white rice.  Which is just the starch.  Which is why vegetables figure predominantly in Asian cuisine.  They replace the vitamins and minerals that the rice hull had.  The white rich starch is just empty calories.  Not that there is anything wrong with empty calories, as long as you have something else to provide the nutrients it lacks.  So, even if you rely primarily on rice for your survival food, you still need to store some whole wheat berries ( kernels ) so as to sprout them for the vitamins and enzymes.

*

Don’t underestimate those enzymes.  Fresh foods are not only critical for nutrition, you will crave them very shortly after beginning to eat your shelf stable foods.  If that sucker ain’t rotting, there are no enzymes.  You can even make a weak beer out of wheat sprouts, so there is that if nothing else.  It is perfectly fine to eat white rice.  Just have those sprouts.  Everyone focuses on spices and flavorings for their rice, but don’t forget the fresh sprouts ( they might not provide a huge amount of vitamins.  You might need to supplement with vitamin pills.  But they sure are needed as a fresh food ).

*

But again, WHY?  Why do you believe it necessary to store beans and rice?  If you enjoy the taste of rice, that is all fine and dandy.  But, do you?  Or are you like me and would rather have little or nothing to do with rice?  I think it tastes like crap. Your mileage may vary.  But, are you storing rice because that is what everyone else was telling you was necessary for a storage food program?  If so, and if you don’t really care for the taste of rice, why aren’t you storing white flour instead?

*

I understand a lot of folks don’t care to mill wheat berries to make their own whole wheat flour.  They don’t like the taste of whole wheat bread, they aren’t used to it and they have no desire to grind their own flour.  Okay, no big deal, just use the whole kernels for sprouts.  Store white flour.  It is no different than white rice.  They are both empty calories.  Flour is cheaper than rice.  Sometimes half the price, or pretty close.  And, kind of important here, you can make so much more with flour than you can with rice. 

*

Flour is like Forrest Gumps recipes for shrimp.  Shrimp gumbo, fried shrimp, baked shrimp, boiled shrimp, shrimp Creole, shrimp cabob, Pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, etc.  You can make an insane number of dishes with flour.  What can you do with rice? Boil that lump of crap.  That is about it.  Continued tomorrow.

END ( today's related link https://amzn.to/2IqtwKb )
 
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page ( or from www.bisonbulk.blogspot.com ). ***You can make donations or book purchases through PayPal ( www.paypal.me/jimd303 )
*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods or buy a book. If you don't do Kindle, send me the money and I'll e-mail it to you in a PDF file.  If you donated, you may request books no charge.   My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184
*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

 

36 comments:

  1. Beef fried rice, chicken fried rice, stir fry rice, rice pudding, stuffed pepper rice...
    Variety son, nothing more.
    Variety is a very good and important thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the variety part-that is why I have several hundred pounds of a food I don't really like all that much. But most advice is for JUST rice and beans. My point is if you focus on one, why rice rather than flour?

      Delete
    2. Just as my point is variety. Indeed have several buckets of pre ground flour ! Along with wheat berries by the ton !
      Not to mention poundage of beans and lentils.
      To include major shitloads of pasta along with the Bard wheat to make fresh pasta too.
      Don't forget the instant smashed Ore Ida potatoes. Cheap and will store forever in mylar

      Delete
    3. Yet, rice is a boiled pellet with a variety of condiments added. Flour is a variety of shapes PLUS a variety of condiments added. Double the variety. Flour can survive with less condiments, but rice cannot, as well. Again, just asking why the predominant food should be rice rather than flour. When one is discussing the major storage food. We all focus on a majority staple, and as flour is half the price of rice, naturally less rice is likely to be stored. So why do most folks recommend RICE as the staple, majority food?

      Delete
  2. From what I can glean, white rice has about 25% of the amino acids of brown rice....


    amino acids for plain white rice:
    Protein4.2g8%
    Tryptophan49.0mg
    Threonine152mg
    Isoleucine183mg
    Leucine351mg
    Lysine153mg
    Methionine99.5mg
    Cystine86.9mg
    Phenylalanine228mg
    Tyrosine142mg
    Valine259mg
    Arginine354mg
    Histidine99.5mg
    Alanine246mg
    Aspartic acid400mg
    Glutamic acid828mg
    Glycine193mg
    Proline201mg
    Serine223mg
    Hydroxyproline~


    Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5712/2#ixzz5GKrNpiIR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so the majority are in the hull. Good to know-thank you.

      Delete
  3. Store both. It will lesten taste fatigue.
    Beans and rice can be milled into a flour to make flatbread or hydrated. I am cajun, so rice is an everyday thing in my cuisine, whith plenty of spice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...prisoner ass right after he was pleasured..."
    ========================

    Thank you.
    I was just pondering this very thing just the other day, now I need wonder no longer.

    Part 1
    ------
    I'm one of those unusual people. Just ask Mrs PinkThong running loose around here, she'll eagerly wipe her tears and tell you all about it.

    I plan on nary a blip in lifestyle change as this shitty planet implodes from the vermin that has cancered it.

    I eat little wheat but what I do is as plain as can be had. As a rule I try to avoid unnecessary chemicals in all things. Natural if you please, always. The idea of eating wheat 24/7 is not capable of being in my radar sweep. Some, but not much.

    I don't eat one thing now and I won't settle for one thing in the future. People that do are limited in scope and will bring massive problems to themselves they cannot now perceive.

    Our (my wife and I) current and future nutritional requirements and desires are being created and modified as I speak and derived from multiple but limited sources. Local, Self, and Manufactured. Yes, dehydrated is a major part but not the stylish stuff you may have heard of. I have never purchased or tried any of the Mountainhouse type stuff. WAY too expensive and most likely slammed with chemicals. But I have eaten packaged Ramen noodles and yes they are ridden with chemicals too, and I like em for the most part. Eat maybe 1 package a month.

    This whole nutrition acquisition process has been a long term, and continuous, interest of mine and will most likely never be completed cause I am constantly coming up with new ideas and modifications to our daily/monthly/yearly intake plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part 2
    ------

    Miss PinkThong is simply describing her own situation when she lies about us living in Sect 8 housing. We are very rural here and it's doubtful the gov't would risk such a thing. But she is somewhat correct in her hillbilly assessment. Here in Bean Blossom we have the distinction of being the Bluegrass capital of the world, and though I don't wear them, many folks around here don overalls all year long. The point is that we are so far back there that it's simply not efficient to go running to a store everytime we are out of something so we have learned how to get by and plan ahead. Food storage is a part of this.

    My newest-most experiment will commence in the next day or so and it involves the purchasing of inexpensive white meat chicken in cans and converting it into dehydrated, shrink wrapped long term storage. I've done the research and know what has to be done.

    The subject matter are the approx 11 oz cans of Great Value brand chunk white chicken at Walmart. This stuff is affordable, tastes decent, and we go through a couple cans a month. Just the other day I bought 8 more cans. Walmart packages them in several ways, 1 can, 2 cans, 4 cans, and the 4 can package is the least expensive way to buy it in the long run. I paid $7 something for each 4 can pack with proper prep my wife and I can eat at least 2 full meals each off of each can.

    I have a small Nesco dehydrator that was purchased on amazon for about $30 and a shrinkwrapper.

    I am going to open 1 can of the chicken and dump it into a colander over a bowl. The liquid will be used for other things. The chicken will drain for about 10 minutes and will be broken up with a fork into very small pieces. Consistency in size is the goal for even drying. Then it will be dumped out on the paper towel cover plate to air dry for about an hour. Then it will be loaded onto a tray in the Nesco dryer.

    I do not know how long the drying will take, that is part of the experiment. What I am looking for is brittleness in the chicken. I'm not very concerned about the "powderedness" of the end result. My idea is that it will dry for about 8 hours but I don't really know. I will check it every hour or so.

    After the chicken has dried to the consistency I think is necessary it will be shrink wrapped in a small tube of plastic. I'm not happy about the whole plastic thing but I'm searching for a work around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Part 3
    ------

    The bigger picture.
    ===================

    I have been trying various dehydrated food components over the past few years and I have been mainly disappointed. The salt content is usually overwhelming and there is no way to get it out of there without sacrificing nutritional value. I am not interested in premanufactured combination components, ie, meals. I want to construct my own meals from individual components. Vegetables, meats, herbs, spices, water. That sort of thing. That way I have unlimited control of what we eat, though from a very narrow selection of overall components.

    In the fall I get huge volumes of vegetables right down the road for very low cost compared to the unknown quality stuff (can you say recalls?) at Krogers, etc. Part of it will come from the neighbors small plot that I worked on last week. There is a church farm market a few miles from here and we purchase stuff there too.

    The vegetables and fruits we purchase in bulk are dehydrated and packed and stored, then used throughout the upcoming year until the following harvest. I'd like to have 5 years of this stuff on hand. Dehydrated food takes about 1/10th the space of other methods and once dried and packaged properly the shelf life is greatly extended.

    When the chicken experiment is completed I will post the results. Completion will be complete when the stuff has been dried and packaged, left to sit for a few days, then prepared in a meal, then after a few days to see if there are any digestive issues as a result. I'm my own guinea pig. Miss PinkThong believes her EBT-SNAP will go on for ever and ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I dried the non-beef hot dogs, I just plugged her in and came back in twelve or sixteen hours. No issues. Most things are like that, but, yes, every once in awhile you run across a food that does "burn". After eating canned meat every weekend for years, I pretty much lost my taste for all of them ( chili, because of my heartburn ). I have several hundred pounds of whole beans in storage but my current thoughts are to keep buying lentils and processing them now, while they are "grocery cost" rather than "prepper budget". I would have kept stocking dried hot dogs but I can't get them free anymore, nor cheap enough. And dried milk is a bit of a bite on the budget. Anyway, I mention dried bean meat in tomorrows article.

      Delete
    2. We did dogs on the grill last week and I just don't like em any more. The past couple of years I have been trying every brand out there and none of them taste good to me. I'm just not going to buy them any more.

      In re-reading my post above I noticed a crucial mistake. After I put the chicken in the colander and drain off all the canned liquid, I will move the liquid and then rinse the chicken thoroughly with very hot faucet water to remove any fat. Fat spoils easily and never gets dehydrated in the dryer.

      All of this food drying stuff is trial and error. The first time I did green bell peppers they turned black. Disgusting looking. Then I found out that some foods must be "blanched" first before drying. Just drop the cut up parts in a pot of rapidly boiling water for about 1 minute, drain, air dry, dehydrate.

      Because of their cellular structure citrus fruits (pineapple, oranges, etc.) cannot be dried at all. At least not that I'm aware of. Coincidently, you cannot put citrus fruits in Jello neither.

      Delete
    3. I tried blanching potatoes and it was a god aweful result. Almost like the potatoes are GMO and are on a switch from raw to black. Some stuff I was supposed to blanch I didn't and they just have a browner color. I'm with you-everything is a Top Secret experiment. The only dogs I can stand are 100% beef, no fillers, no nitrates. But on sale they are like $2.50 for 13 ounces. I can buy hamburger cheaper on sale. Those are eating dogs. Drying dogs are no beef at all to avoid the fat, poultry lip[s and arseholes floor sweepings a buck a pound. They were barely worth it when they were fifty cents back when.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for that GS

      Delete
    5. Pineapple can be dried. It is sold in grocery stores and from bulk bins at health food stores.

      Delete
    6. Are tomatoes the same structure? You see those dried. I thought I heard something about dried watermelon. Can't remember details. An attempt? A commercial product? I think that shows people are too bored, but whatever.

      Delete
  7. I view the food issue as 1.What you can stockpile and 2.What you currently produce now and may be able to continue producing in future troubled times.
    Now I know everyone is going to be too busy going all Red Dawn to do something as mundane as running a garden/small livestock food system.
    But I have mentioned before a downloadable book: 21st Century Greens from an organization called Leaves for Life.
    It has info about this very subject: supplementing inexpensive basic food commodities with various nutrient-rich leaf crops.
    Many of these are plants recognizable to North Americans and their greens are edible and loaded with nutrition. Some are dual use crops such as sweet potato whose leaves (and tuber of course) can be eaten. I stir fried a bunch Sunday night with a bit of coconut oil. Fantastic and loaded with nutrients. Taking up to one third of leaf production from plant minimally affects potato growth.
    Many plants are perriniels and could be cultivated in low key food plots. An example is Amaranth (leaf and seed).
    At work now, but could go on.
    As an aside about peak copper: I'm working in a condo building now where they are running around replacing copper A/C coils on machines not even 2 years old. They thinned the copper to the bare minimum and leaks develop constantly.
    Also, water hoses are increasingly made with aluminum metal end fittings- no longer brass. Sometimes the aluminum is anodized to resemble brass. The aluminum fitting gets screwed to brass faucet. Time passes. Aluminum welds itself permanently to brass faucet (corrosion between dis-similar metals) and to spray attachment at other end. Penny wise, pound foolish.

    S in Fla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as Penny Wise Pound Foolish, aren't you buying what you think of as an expensive investment ( the copper tubing ) and getting cheated? It is corporation fraud rather than being too frugal, yes?

      Delete
  8. Cuban Beans and Rice
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21574/cuban-beans-and-rice/

    Try it, you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know-most Cuban food looks like a parrot vomited on the plate.

      Delete
  9. My goto for white rice is

    * White rice with soy sauce & a raw egg (yep raw). Apparently it's a Japanese comfort food. I like it like I like my women, easy (that's a joke)

    * The other easy rice hack that's survivalist friendly is coconut rice. One can of coconut rice / milk - one can of water - one can of rice. Easy peasy

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) I like rice. Brown, red, semi-hulled, and white. I find that red actually lasts quite a long time and has more nutrients and fiber than white
    2) Wheat intolerance. natch.
    3) Beans do better as a flour when talking long term storage than brown rice or wheat flour.
    4) My Family nutritional needs DEMAND animal protein - so we have a freezer full of frozen, closet full of canned, and then some freeze dried for the time it takes us to get hunting and trapping successfully (mmmm, squab and trash fish, and what pig did this pork come from?)

    We are STILL saving up wheat,for the family members that can eat those sprouts or flour. But Rice and Corn and Beans figure big into our storage plans too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd do much better on a diet of more meat, myself. But good food is the third casualty of the prepping budget ( after giving up the car and living in a hovel ).

      Delete
    2. Nah, some family members still test as vegetarian even though eating meat at every meal. Literally their body will start eating itself without enough of the meat sourced nutrients. It is related to an actual auto-immune medical condition like lupus.
      So.- Meat at every meal, at least a little. Also veggies or fruit at every meal, again at least a little. We prefer meat we can source locally when we can. And veggies that we or our neighbors have actually had some success growing most of the time. But our climate is more harsh than northern nevada when it comes to temperatures and growing season (and almost as dry) so we do dabble in fruit that is from further away, and supplement all the diet with transported foods.

      Delete
    3. Better soil though, right? Or is that area worthless without buffalo?

      Delete
    4. JJ wheat once sprouted is tolerable to most gluten free people.it chemically changes the germ and amino acids. Of course true celiac is rare.

      Delete
    5. Peanut allergies were too rare-everyone can have issues with gluten. It is almost a fad. Not to take anything away from those truly suffering-I speak of posers.

      Delete
    6. Not to sound preachy but The bible refers to bread and wheat as the staff of life. God has a warped sense of humor but I don't think making us gluten intolerant is his thing.

      Delete
    7. someone said--cannot remember who--sprout the wheat, dehydrate the sprouts, grind them and use as flour. safe for us with gluten sensitivity.
      don't know if it would rise but surely could make pancakes and similar with it?

      Delete
    8. I think MOST folks will respond favorably to that. Some people aren't even gluten intolerant but have a bad reaction to the crap they spray on the grain-I think to ripen faster? If you still respond negatively after sprouting, I'd wager it is the spray rather than the wheat itself. Then you'd need organic ( although that is never guaranteed ) or imported.

      Delete
  11. I have a tough gut, and no alergies at all. I stock a lot of rice but more of a starch filler like dried potatoes, pasta-ramen, etc. If I am not under a bombardment scenario I can cook different items on rotating schedules to not get appetite fatigue. If I am stationary and idled down, I'll eat lean(small portions-just sustenance) for a day or two then as I get hungrier boost up batch size/season and jazz it up and dig in. It is an alternative to the pellet food that is all that will be available for proles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a cast iron stomach, curses to you, stress related premature aging.

      Delete
  12. I can tell you what happens after prepping: nothing. And then you have to renew and restock for preparing again for nothing happening. Rinse repeat until money finished and old age attained.
    One way to solve the food problem is to simply move to a place where food is naturally abundant all year long, for example a tropical country.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED