Wednesday, March 21, 2018

using less


USING LESS

Using less.  Sounds un-’Murican, doesn’t it?  But didn’t it used to be this way as a matter of course?  I mean, I’m way too young to remember per se, although I imagine there were certain habits my parents practiced I’m not remembering, or misremembering as being related to lack of consumerism or credit.  But weren’t less well off folks used to using everything less so that it lasted longer and it didn’t need to be replaced?

*

You kept your leather shoes polished and cared for so that at most they needed a new sole once every great while.  You only wore your best clothes to church.  The kids went barefoot all summer so they didn’t go through shoes as often.  The mythical grandma that only drove her car once a week on Sunday ( I mean, every myth is first based on reality, right? ).  To this day, when I see someone has folded over the corner on a page in a book I mentally condemn them to the hottest corner of Hell. 

*

Today, though, the unspoken, unthinkable norm is to waste the crap out of everything.  Don’t take care of that computer, it won’t be supported after five years.  I’m paying so much on the car I might as well get all the use out of it I can.  I’ll just get another one down at China-Mart.  It’s only money, I’ll get more in two weeks.  It’s fun, let’s go shopping!  All these attitudes are normal, and grumpy old men who are still wearing the same disco era suit after almost fifty years are to be pitied and frowned over.

*

Now, I’m not saying that this is completely the fault of consumers.  Shoddy made goods are NOT a free market response by companies ran by fair and just men only trying to provide for their families.  Hey, dumb ass, that stereotype was obsolete before VHS tapes were.  Big Box Stores, asset stripping using Other Peoples Money, the take over of the economy by the central bank-the only thing left is corporate evil.  I’ll remind you that Wal-Mart prices increased as the quality was sacrificed.  That was the derivatives market biting the bankers on the ass, not poor old free market Walton’s responding to customer demand.

*

But, consumers WERE responsible for the evil companies being able to get away with that crap, because people were already wasteful and greedy.  We were already driving longer commutes prior to the car companies introducing the Gremlin.  That wasn’t exactly the “car crazy” crap like today, it was White Flight, but I would submit for your consideration that the mindset of consumption for its own sake had already taken hold.  Toffler wasn’t writing about The Throw Away Society because he just made that crap up-it was an observable phenomenon.   But it wasn’t a continuation of throw away items as he envisioned ( from throw away plates and cups as in a fast food joint, throw away clothes were a linear move ), but a “planned obsolescence” of every single thing from cars to homes to appliances.

*

They started making parts designed to break back in the Fifties or Sixties.  Crap cars came immediately after the first Oil Embargo.  2008 onward Quality Dive isn’t exactly new.  The only thing new was the extreme contraction in time that failure was now built in for.  Shoe laces breaking after a month, rather than a year.  A dozen uses rather than a hundred.  Thirty year roof shingles that wouldn’t make it to ten.  Of course, shingles were themselves a throw away item on a throw away home.  If we hadn’t been programmed from birth to consume and discard ( diapers ), we never would have thought to buy a throw away home, valuing appearance over function.

*

So, can we consume less in a throw away society?  Of course.  Nobody is forcing you to buy disposable diapers.  They still sell cloth diapers.  The only thing you must do is front the $200 investment, rather than settle for a $20 box of disposables.  Folks honestly with a straight face explain that they don’t have time to clean cloth, that it is more sanitary to use disposables.  Have these people every actually changed a diaper?  The kid just exploded a diarrhea bomb.  There is NOTHING sanitary about cleaning that mess.  It is no more  gross scrapping turds off a cloth diaper.  And every disposable you buy is another bit of time earning a paycheck.  A cloth diaper pays for itself in, literally, two weeks.

*

It is more a change in mentality.  Nothing too strenuous in the doing.  You just seek to not waste, and to use everything less.  Don’t shop every day, using the car.  Two hundred thousand miles on a car should last a lifetime, not the length of the loan.  Shop once a week, or ideally once a month.  Don’t wash your clothes so often.  Never dry them in a machine.  Try to get them to last longer.  I buy my shirts at a thrift store, then I’m still wearing them as they get holes in them and the collars wear out on the crease.  I just rip the collar off.  If I’m going out into the world I put a newer shirt on for that hour.  Once home, the old shirt goes on.  Along with sweats.  You don’t need to change those every single week ( dependent on sloppy eating habits of course ).

*

Does the cloth napkin smell?  Then don’t put it in the wash.  And why are you getting that cloth napkin so nasty?  Lick your finger clean before wiping with the napkin.  Why did you just throw away that toothpick?  Lick it off and use it again, until it splinters into unusable fragments.  This is all a combination of using things more, but also using them as little as possible.  You can’t reuse toilet paper, unfortunately, but you can make your own bidet. 

*

One wipe for solids, the next batch of clean TP soaked ( the sink is right there, most of the time you don’t even have to get up ) and then applied.  Yes, your fingers might touch nasties.  The TP disintegrates on contact.  But your next dry paper wipe works much better at removing wet than dry.  You always clean your hands thoroughly anyway, right?  Do this, than actually install a bidet attachment to your regular toilet.  Gross to plan, talk about and do, but you are saving a lot of TP.  To dry the front after using the bidet, girls, just use baby cloth diapers cut into smaller squares and wipe the water off and have a canister to hold until wash day ( I’d imagine nobody is going to want to reuse that cloth, even if it is just water residue-the fish smell might offend visitors ).

*

Of course, that deviates from the focus.  Again we talk of non-disposables rather than Using Less.  Do you leave your shoes on inside your home?  Just taking them off every time you enter means you use the shoes less and wear out the carpet less.  And you are letting your feet breath.  Cooking two nights worth of meat means you use an appliance half the time.  Some folks cook once a week and freeze all the meals.  I’m only opposed to this as it means I cannot buy as much meat on sale, but it is a solid plan for using the kitchen equipment a fraction of the time.  Just like mom used to bake bread once a week.  Once you start thinking along these lines, it is easy to see how you can use most of what you own, poor quality or not, much less.  Lasting longer towards the apocalypse is always a good thing.

END ( today's related link http://amzn.to/2FTkxjK )
 
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. ***You can make donations or book purchases through PayPal ( www.paypal.me/jimd303 )
*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods or buy a book. If you don't do Kindle, send me a buck and I'll e-mail it to you in a PDF file.  If you donated, you may request books no charge.   My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184
*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.***my Bonus Material blog*** junk land under a grand *  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there
 

22 comments:

  1. As I've stated in the past. My routine is the old , shit, shower then shave. Water does a fine job of cleaning all traces of poop. One should soap that nasty thing down anyway.
    This totally removes the need for under garments too.
    We are indeed a highly wasteful society.

    Live simply...that others might simply live.
    Wise words, I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words, but wastefulness is part of the peacock contest anyway. And, you know, 'Muricans!

      Delete
  2. We did cloth diapers with three of our children. The last was out of diapers about 4 or 5 years ago.

    Another benefit of cloth is children are out of diapers quicker (potty trained). I have heard different explanations. With cloth when they urinate the diaper feels wet immediately and they make the connection with the resulting unpleasant wet cloth feeling against their skin.
    Disposable diapers wick the moisture to another layer, maybe making it more comfortable with a wet diaper (and not as much of a deterrent?).
    The disposable diaper makers definitely want to keep your kids in diapers as long as possible. Hell, they have whole product lines aimed at increasingly older kids. Its crazy.

    Anyone contemplating cloth, do it. It's not that hard and is big savings.
    There are newer securing options that replace the old safety pins. I forget what the brand name is, but it's like a 3-way rubber bungee cord with plastic claws that grab the fabric and hold the diaper in place. Very quick and easy.

    There is an enormous selection online of cloth options.
    Years later, the old cloth diapers are the Mercedes Benz of rags.

    S.Fl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.s. on cloth diaper comment, use cloth baby wipes and wash with the diapers. Can carry moist and ready to use in a plastic Tupperware type box or Ziploc. Some people add a little lotion or skin care products.
    Another benefit of the cloth diapers is fewer rashes and less skin irritation.
    S.Fl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Pretty soon they'll be pushing preschool diapers, Kindergarten diapers, pre-incotenance diapers. Friggin idiots. Hey, the kids are lucky we don't use a spray bottle on them like a dog every time they soil themselves. Squirt, squirt, you foul little bastard! You're already nine months old and eating me out of house and home! Stop crapping yourself, already!
      and PS-thank you for the newspaper clipping. It is a nice nostalgia trip. I'm reading the whole article right after I get offline.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, me too. I grew up poor, single mom etc. So instinctively I am a frugal fuddy duddy. My utility and materials usage is well below the pretty pony preppers etc. I use bread bags and potato bags for trash liners in the kitchen to save the main can bag as an example. I don't scrimp much on dish soap, laundry washing or bathing, as I phobia out on germs, as I think sickness/illness is as hazardous as maruading zombie gangs. If a minion can get to the threshold of @ year long lock down non-resupply or contrivance to do otherwise or without it will be just fine and dandy during the collapse and die off. Good one Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another reason to skip shopping Wally-their bags are tissue paper thin/strong. I use Kroger bags for the small trash cans/wrapping meat. Mexican soap is superior ( zote ). Stock enough bars, plus the washing soda and Borox and you are good for all your hygienic/washing needs.

      Delete
  5. Depending on the layout of your bathroom, you can reuse your dental floss. Glue or screw a spring loaded wooden clothes pin to a 1x2 or the bottom of the medicine cabinet or whatever. That way you can place your used dental floss in the teeth and it can hang free to dry. Reuse until it breaks.

    I had an idea from yesterdays comments on buying ammo that you don't have a gun for. If you buy ammo for guns that your friends have, but you don't, especially if they aren't committed preppers, they will be very grateful once their meager supply runs out.
    Peace out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try to use that medicine cabinet. Urine goes airborne in invisible droplets. I make sure to wash off my brush every time. Thankfully I can't use floss anymore. Had a few teeth pulled due to finances and the spread is weird. Some teeth got too close together, others spaced further. Toothpicks are all that work, and they seem to last longer than floss. Floss is engineered to fray apart quicker anymore, and there is always the loss you use to grab. Of course, toothpicks don't last as long either. Probably made from poison drenched Chinese soft wood. Good idea on ammo. If you have disagreements and you don't give him the ammo, pull for the components as a last resort. Otherwise, great way to pull them into your orbit.

      Delete
    2. Mainstay calibers, if that is your pedigree to begin with will allow you to trade a box of 9mm ball etc for a fresh chunky dog, or a pillow case full of appropriated canned food. Having a couple pouches of muffin or brownie mix that you can whip up into some sexy snacks for the fellows at the check point on third and main street may go along ways to getting a night pass or barter of some of their underutilized resources. Think outside of your box?

      Delete
  6. I believe as a man this day and age it is best to avoid marriage and children. No spousal support. No child support. I don't buy any kind of diapers or makeup or other useless crap. I'm free to prep how I want and am beginning to finally get squared away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most likely correct. Me, personally, just need a companion in life.

      Delete
    2. I agree DG, but most guys aren’t going to see it that way; the programming runs deep. Modern women not only bring nothing to the table, they’re literally a liability at this point. Here in The People’s Republik of Kalifornia, Gov Moonbeam removed the statute of limitations, so now that disgruntled girlfriend of 30 years prior can say that you raped her, and you’re finished before the trial even begins. Between that and the #metoo trend, you’re figuratively placing your manhood in a bear trap. Not worth it, and even in the 1950’s it was barely worth it, but still worth it enough that most men were willing participants to their indentured servitude. Way to go feminism!

      Delete
    3. I left Cali for good after the semi ban. It was the last straw. If I were still there ( thank you Baby Jesus! ), I think Gov. Moonbeam getting elected would have driven me out for good. My dad is no conservative, has no problem with the benevolent wonderfulness of government, and I remember him ranting and raving about Moonbeam during his original term.

      Delete
  7. Speaking of credit. At one time I was over $600k in debt and right up on top of it. 2 houses, 2 vehicle loans, consumer debt, yadda yadda. 11 years ago was the end of it. Through a couple choice moves (no not bankruptcy or any of that criminal stuff) everything was paid off, cards were eliminated, and nothing was acquired on credit again. Even my cell is a TracPhone-pay as I use it - about $100/yr.

    Well our vehicle insurance is due and they bumped it up another notch again as is routine with them even though I have never filed any claim with any insurance company in my whole life. They are forcing me to supplement the behavior of others, so I went shopping. First stop was Geico and they gave me a good price for exactly the same coverage as the Progressive I've had for the past 16 years. I wanted to ponder it for a spell and 2 days goes by and Geico emails another higher price based on my credit report. There are zero entries on my credit report so Geico turns that into a negative. They say that people with no credit are prone to file insurance claims, nevermind my history shows that I never have. Having no debt makes me a bad person in the eyes of Geico. Fukem ded. I'll stick with Progressive. Geico will hear about it too. How can companies throw away money like they did and still survive?

    My mother in law died this past Nov and her red 1998 Pontiac Sunbird had just over 7000 miles on it. My BIL sold it in 1 day for $3000 MORE than she paid for it.

    There are enough petroleum products used in the disposable diapers thrown away each year to pave all the state and county roads in the entire country TWICE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last sentence-just, WOW! I had no idea. That is amazing. Insurance companies-every last one a den of thieves. The retarded cousins of the bankers. They would be out of business without their granted monopoly. Not driving is worth screwing over the insurance company. I spend twenty minutes a day rolling cigs just so I can tell Gov. Sandavol to take my extra $8 in taxes and shove them up his ass ( if I was making minimum wage, I'd be spending ten times the new tax I saved, but it's worth not giving him his extortion ). That's right you RINO puke, two people you don't get blood money out of! The NOL was buying two packs a week, I'm one and a half a month. That was $5 a month to the state and $10 to the feds. Then the gov wanted an additional $10. That was JUST tax, not product cost. Now they get zero since they got greedy. Sorry, I hijacked your story. I still get a huge head of steam worked up on that humper.

      Delete
    2. >> How can companies throw away money like they did and still survive?

      It's because they focus on statistics instead. never mind the intelligent customers, too costly to handle, especially when intelligent employees are hard to come by.

      Focus instead on dumb customers, your slightly-less dumb employees can handle. Profit.

      No, really, bright people have to do everything by themselves these days.

      Delete
    3. I like "company man" on YouTube. He just did a vid on Costco Warehouse stores. Evidently, they pay way above industry wages, have only have the profit margin of Wal-Mart, sell plenty under cost, all to please customers so they pay the yearly membership. That is where the profit is, evidently. But imagine how revolutionary they are. Satisfying customers. I don't care for them at all, since I don't buy Yuppie Scum brands, but it is nice to hear about exceptions to today's "cash out in the stock market on the way to bankruptcy" norm.

      Delete
    4. Sorry, should have read "HALF the profit margin of Wal-Mart"

      Delete
  8. Using the crap out of your car is right. When trading in, the year seems to be the only value they judge on. Local car vendor is now advertising for free oil changes FOR LIFE if you buy their vehicle. Some of these vehicles cost $15,000 brand new - how long do you think they expect them to last ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they are getting their oil at $2 a quart, call it $10 an oil change ( free labor if the lot monkey's there are doing it ), 150k before the engine falls out, $450 their cost. Unless they figured out how to strain and filter the old oil, then $200. Still, using that dealer adds $500 to your car. Almost sounds like a Ponzi scheme-they probably won't be in business by then.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED