Monday, August 15, 2016

freeze dried testicles


FREEZE DRIED TESTICLES

You all know how I feel about freeze dried food.  Luxury Yuppie Scum fodder, whereas said brain dead zombies mindlessly chew their cud after the Apocalypse proclaiming awe at their intelligence as they made lots of money after screwing over some schmuck ( anymore, almost all sums above serf wages are from someone being defrauded on some level-a zero sum game ) so as to continue their Oil Age Middle Class lifestyle as long after the collapse as possible ( with their timing for that elusive recover strangely coinciding with the amount of supplies that they have.  Nothing can deviate from that plan, as they are so smart they’ve got it all figured out.  The unwashed uneducated masses can die horrible deaths from lack of semi-automatics and peasant foods in the form of grains ). 

*

But nothing I discuss or advocate is black and white.  There are plenty of grey areas.  I despise with a purple passion usually reserved for Hitlary the M-16 assault carbines.  Their design is atrocious.  From their very introduction when Colt was using shoddy materials to churn out more weapons, causing rust in the jungles of Vietnam, to present when, after saving weight by using a souped up rimfire rather than a thirty caliber bottle rifle round, then redesigning everything until now you need three hits to take down a starving Somalian ( hence negating the advantage in weight reduction in the ammo load ), nothing good has ever come out of that weapon as an assault rifle.  I say, stop blaming the troopers for a jammed weapon when the thing was designed improperly.  HOWEVER!  Having said all that, I’ll also say that the M-16 is an amazingly accurate rifle ( the extra bolt lugs, for one thing ).  It has zero recoil, or near enough that little girls can customize the furniture pink and be proficient in a firearm.  Being so accurate, it makes a wonderful mid range sniper rifle.  As long as you don’t Spray And Pray, and use it as a marksmen rather than a berserking Viking, which mostly negates the fouling issue, it is a fine and affordable platform.

*

So too with freeze dried foods.  While doing everything in my power to keep you from buying any, as they are pure luxury and decadence rather than basic calories to stay alive, I also admit to some utility.  Wheat first, as calories trump nutrition in the long term stockpile game ( I shan’t cover this again, go back a few weeks if you must re-read that reminder ).  Then more wheat.  Vitamin pills and generic Crisco ( enough multi-vitamins for a year and enough separate Vitamin C pills for the same, $25.  At Kroger, a plastic tub of fake lard is just under $3.  Eight containers should last you a year easy, with more in the winter and less in the summer.  After stocking in a non-temperature controlled environment for five years I still didn’t see any spoilage in my stash-the regular lard was going bad, and its replacements were twice the price as shortening.  Both are hydrogenated oils and so rather unhealthy.  But no fat is even worse for you ) only add $50 a year and are exponentially better than wheat only. 

*

Only then after you have years of wheat and the supplements should you stock up on animal protein.  My reasoning is the same as always.  You cannot time the collapse and if you claim you can you are a moron.  I can’t make it any simpler that that.  You must act like tomorrow is the Game Over moment.  So you prepare like crazy yesterday and assume it all ends tomorrow.  Calories first.  So, having gotten that out of the way, let’s talk about a recent sale a Yuppie Scum Survivalist site had from one of their advertisers.  A case of freeze dried beef was $200.  Evidently this was considered a bargain.  155 calories per dollar.  Canned meat in the store is at least 400 calories per dollar.  Canning chicken on sale, call it 500 calories per dollar. 

*

Of course, before you crap a kitten, the freeze dried meat doesn’t need to be replaced for thirty years.  Home canned meat is good for just a few years.  And I’ve kept metal cans of meat up to a decade but they were starting to rust and those were cans from prior to the industry wide redesign towards lower quality materials.  So, yes, freeze dried meat is actually no more expensive than any other preservation system since it lasts so much longer and doesn’t require replacing as often.  Even going with shortening and fat free dried milk is going to equal the cost of freeze dried with its regular replacement requirement ( just because my shortening still seemed okay after five years doesn’t mean I want to keep it much longer than that ).  One way around this would be to have glass jar cans of meat you rotate for your regular meals.  You get to buy when on sale, wait to can in the winter, and for much less expensive than freeze dried ( $800 verses $1600 for a year ). 

*

Also, ask yourself why you are buying freeze dried meat.  If it is for immediate consumption after the collapse, I might suggest a much cheaper alternative.  If your climate isn’t too tropical, if you can root-cellar, how about butter?  The same amount of calories in the freeze dried beef, 31 thousand, that cost $200 will cost just $30 in butter ( at $3 a pound ).  I’ve had butter underground in the non-summer months for weeks without spoilage.  Will it last a month?  I can’t guarantee that.  But if you kept those ten pounds of butter in the freezer and then transferred them underground in pest proof containers after the freezers failed ( as in became room temperature, which would take awhile anyway ) you should get close to that.  Butter is over three thousand calories a pound.  I’d seriously consider that milk goat if possible.  You can live a lacto-vegetarian diet cheaply and easily with the right climate.  Butter and cheese are wonderful long term meat substitutes.

Even if the Po’ Boy Survival Stockpile Plan is mostly pure vegetarian, you can introduce a bit of animal protein at least ( I‘ll cover Ghee-clarified room temperature butter-tomorrow ).  

END

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page.  IF YOU DON’T SEE THE AD, DISABLE AD BLOCK ( go to the Ad Blocker while on my page and scroll down the menu to “disable this site” ). You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.  Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for mere Book Money, so do your part.*** 
*Contact Information*  Links To Other Blogs *  Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com           *wal-mart wheat
*Link To All My Published Books
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

28 comments:

  1. What about salted meat as an alternative? I'm going off of memory, but I seem to recall hearing of some salted meat that had lasted decades.

    I've mentioned it before, but you didn't seem to think that it was a viable option. But it seems to me that sardines are a lot of bang for the buck protein wise. At Safeway they were a dollar a can. So I'm sure at places like Costco they're half that price.

    For butter and cheese, there is dehydrated (likely expensive, so don't consider it too seriously) or Molly McButter (Cheap, compact to store, lasts forever, and probably not the healthiest; for seasoning only and not to replace actual butter).

    The old time ice houses held ice all summer long. I'd venture to guess that block ice in a cooler in a root cellar would last for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how long salted meat lasts, myself, but I'd image it is a year long deal for the most part. You need lots of water to soak and re-soak, but I don't know why I wouldn't approve of it. I don't care for canned fish just because of the price ( nowadays ), even before my non-preference is accounted for.

      Delete
  2. Freeze Dried makes sense only in situations where one must be mobile for extended lengths of time and must have the nutrition to back the sugar (candy) that one would be stockpiling for light calories during that time.
    I have stocked a little bit of protein because MEAT is a medical necessity in my family. I got the basic just the meat, freeze dried and stored away for very long term. As the cost of other meats goes up it looks more usable by the day, already we are at the point that wet canned stuff costs so much that comparatively the freeze dried only costs twice as much - and will last 30 times longer, and weight 90 times less per serving.
    Unfortunately that is due to the price of wetpack today vs freeze dried a few years ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With meat, the freeze dried is tastier and cheaper, long term, than wet pack. Store bought, anyway. It DOES make sense on many levels, except up front cost and assuming you have all the time in the world to prep.

      Delete
    2. I have noticed that freeze dried ingredients are going up significantly in price where as the pre-made 'meals' and entrees are not. (aka the meat vs. the spaghetti with meat balls freeze dried in #10 cans... I think that is because just like every grocery item they are finding corners to cut on quality...
      There are home freeze drying machines out there that one can buy, and if you are producing all the food you need and trying to sell the excess it could be well worth the investment.......

      Delete
    3. Your own machine would be a great investment. Ten years ago when you had time for it to pay for itself. Now?

      Delete
  3. I think of freeze dried food about like Armor-Piercing Incendiary Rounds: It is not a bad idea to have a few on hand, but it should NOT make up the most of your ammo supply. It has a really Limited Use Profile, for the cost.
    You can buy lots of Peanut Butter and Crackers for one MRE version of same. Most MRE type foods have a civilian equivalent, at a fraction of the cost.
    If you vacuum seal them (and even if you don't) they will last a LONG time.
    I know that this was not specifically about MREs, but that seems to be what "Freezed-Dried Foods" seem to trying to emulate.
    This means one more chance to remind folks that we are NOT trying to emulate the Military.
    So what are the advantages of Freeze-Dried over other food storage types? 1. Light Weight, 2. They last a LONG Time. what are they disadvantages? 1. Cost, 2. You have to supply more water to stay hydrated (since you will not be getting any water from Food), 3. Unlike wheat berries, you can't Plant anything from a Freeze-Dried Pouch. 4. Cost (yes, i have "Cost" twice, because freeze-dried is more than twice the price).

    -eviltwin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at freeze dried as I do the HK-91. For certain types of food, it is the best. Oy! But the cost.

      Delete
  4. I think a good low cost substitute is to go with the conventional over the counter dehydrated type foods, such as the boxed mash potatoes, scalloped potatoes, etc.

    Off topic James, but last night I happened to catch an episode of America's Most Wanted with John Walsh, and it's kind of been grating on me ever since. They were discussing some dude in Montana that was an anti-government militia/prepper type, and regardless of the subject in question, it was readily apparent in the comments of the journalists and authorities (Locals from Montana) that were interviewed that there was a heavy bias against these types regardless of the circumstances. They were very obviously pro-government, and couldn't even understand why anyone would be distrustful of it, or why anyone would even wish to prepare for hard times? It struck me as odd that we've gone from a populace that wished to keep such entities in check, to one that views such people that do as the bad guys? I doubt I'll ever watch this piece of crap show again. I noticed that the Doomsday Preppers seemed to spin the featured participants as to appear whacked out as well, but I don't think it was as bad as this show was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Joe Walsh the dad of the abducted son? Whored out his memory for cash? Always hated him. I'd be leery of Montana-seems like a lot of liberals really jacking up the real estate prices. Maybe since the UniBomber Montana goes overboard NOT liking self sufficient folks as a defense mechanism.

      Delete
    2. “Isn't Joe Walsh the dad of the abducted son? Whored out his memory for cash? Always hated him.”


      Yeah, that's the dude James, and that seems to be the general opinion of him as well.

      With regards to Montana, I suppose it's like anywhere else that was worth living. Tons of lefties (mostly from CA) bought up land in the western half of the state during the great real estate boom and ruined it, along with many other formerly nice places. That's why I'm of the opinion that you have to go somewhere that's really F'ed up, with -40 degree winters to keep these people away. Think places like the Dakotas. I already got my Elko land, but it does worry me at times, being so close to the peoples republik of CA.

      The one thing that northern Nevada has going for it is that it's mostly desert, and most people don't want to live in the desert, unless it's of the warm year round variety such as southern cal. Water issues in most desert regions however create an automatic restriction on population, so maybe I made a decent choice after all.

      Delete
    3. I was second guessing myself about Elko before I ever bought land here, then ever since. I really overthink everything too much. But overall, I think this is a darn good choice. Far more pros than cons. And remember, in Montana all those asswhores will blow up with Yellowstone. And hopefully those in CA will blow up with Yosimite and San Andres.

      Delete
  5. Hey Bison! - I've been making "hamburger rocks" (dehydrated hamburger chunks vacuum sealed in mason jars)for about 5 years now. It tastes as good as fresh in things like tacos, sloppy Joes, and spaghetti sauce. I keep a year's supply on hand and eat it on rotation so I usually never keep it any longer. Its a handy way to keep meat on hand, apocalypse or not. I tested some at two years when I first started and it tasted just as good as it did at one year. I imagine once dehydrated and vacuum packed, it could be stored in a freezer at least as long as it is frozen plus two years. I really like dehydrating. Its much simpler and more forgiving than canning. The same process can be used with chicken, turkey, or God forbid... Bison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, now I remember the guy who champions those HamRocks. He loved to push keroscene for light and cooking, offered several books for sale I bought. Lives in Oregon I think. Got his web site?

      Delete
    2. Think you mean this guy. Its where I first read about dehydrating hamburger. Miles Stair. He's big on kerosene.
      http://www.endtimesreport.com/hamburger_rocks.html

      Delete
    3. That's the guy. Thanks! Good resource, but I never can remember it.

      Delete
  6. It'd be a good idea to store some canned butter. This is good quality stuff, crisco is horrible for your health.

    https://www.amazon.com/Cans-Feather-Creamery-Butter-Zealand/dp/B004HZWFRU/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1471308560&sr=8-3&keywords=canned+butter

    Also, I was unsure how to interpret your milk goat comment. If you intend to drink the milk, yes, two thumbs up. If you intend to make butter out of it, it's very difficult (not worth the effort) as it's naturally homogenized and the cream does not readily rise to the top as cows milk does.

    I would not spend a single penny on any type of sugar (besides honey) to store. Sugar is an immune system depressant, triggers the same receptors in our brains as cocaine, and acts as an accelerant for cancer cell growth (which we all have).
    Peace out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about the no butter issue, thank you. As for shortening and sugar, well, of course they are not good for you. But you can get 84 ounces of shortening for the price of 6 of canned butter. Not that this is a good comparison as one is fat and the other is animal protein. Shortening and sugar are cheap storage foods. Honey and canned butter are NOT. Storage food isn't about luxury or health, they are about calories. I don't eat shortening now ( although I'm pretty bad on sugar-and you are right about the brain receptors as I save half my coffee loaded with sugar for when I write in the afternoon. Much better focus ) or Top Ramen or white flour, but I will be after the supermarkets close. And I'll be thankful for them.

      Delete
  7. Tried goats cheese for the first time recently. Tasted like poison. Someone gave us a $60 wheel (6" dia x 3" thick) as a gift and I had to throw it away. Disappointing. Imagine I wouldn't like goats milk too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six inch diameter? I think I'm in the wrong line of work! People pay THAT much for that little???!!!!

      Delete
    2. Goats milk (and cheeses) are both an acquired taste and can vary in taste depending on the cycle of the goat and what it has been eating.
      Supposedly with experience a goat herder can tell when the does are ready to be bred again by the taste of the milk they give.
      Of course goat milk is 100% better for consumption than cows milk, and also unlike cows milk can be used as a replacement for human milk or formula for human babies.
      Goats are also smarter and more of a PITA than cows are usually. Dairy Goats also give less milk per animal than dairy cows - though some breeds and individuals come closer.
      For all these reasons goat milk and related products are much more expensive than equivalent cow products.

      Delete
    3. Fresh goats milk is delicious. Stuff from the store tastes gross.
      Peace out

      Delete
    4. True of a LOT of foods. Produce for sure.

      Delete
    5. JJ-when picturing goats, with all their problems, I think back of Diamond's book "collapse" and remember the Norse dudes dying in Greenland because their cattle couldn't live through the colder weather change.

      Delete
    6. Yep. Raising Goats for meat and milk are in my 5-10 year plan, and should it go to pot before then I know where I can source them locally.

      Delete
    7. Yeah, $10/inch, far too expensive for my blah.
      I'm more conventional, std Walmart/Kroger stuff in the $3-$5 range, you know, muenster (my fav), colby, jack, cheddar, etc. I did take a chance one time and bought some sort of gooey cheese that was pretty good, forgot the type. Just remembered, it was brie. Not bad. I stay away from the "processed cheese food" stuff.

      Delete
    8. Goats have trippy eyes. Look at em up close. Almost hypnotizing.

      Delete
    9. Like ex #2, except her boobs were like that.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED