Monday, February 8, 2016

article 2 of 2 today

article 2 of 2 today

NON LINEAR

The book “Global Crisis” by Geoffrey Parker caught my eye some time ago ( apropos to very little: the book “Why Lincoln Chose War” by Spencer Gantt was gifted to me by a Top Tier Minion [translation, he is in my favor at the moment] and I must say without hyperbole that this has got to be THE best Alternate non-fiction Civil War book I’ve ever read.  And I’ve read quite a few in search for the truth behind Abe “I’m a skinny male prostitute selling my virtue to the railroad companies for fame and fortune” Lincoln.  Most are clearly by Southerners with an ax to grind, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.  But none of them dug down to the financial causes of war.  This one does.  Highly recommended on Kindle [you don’t need the paper version as this 100 page large print book is bloated to get past about the only-really-needed ten pages.  Save your money on the shipping charges].  I needed to include this note both to give extra added needed thanks to said minion and to spread the word on this great book.  Sorry it took so long, it never traveled from the back to the front of my brain ).

*

“Global Crisis” is not a cheap book, nor is it an easy read.  The writing style is excellent ( read the sample pages offered at Amazon.  If you like “big picture” books you will get hooked ) but every single page is so crammed with detail you pretty much have to take it a bit at a time or get Brain Ache.  Less than two dozen pages in after the introduction he talks about the non-linear nature of food prices, population growth and calorie deficit.  I’d like to cover these here, both because if you can’t picture collapse as non-linear you won’t be prepared much at all, and because the information itself is frightening, fascinating and important.  Keep in mind we are talking about the 1600’s here.  Very modern except that carbon fuels had yet to be utilized past cooking and heating.  First up, the simplest concept to grasp, population growth.

*

As you read this, keep in mind the advocates of the Thousand Year Fracking Reich and their insistence that a decrease in the increase of population growth will save us all ( as in, oh mercy sakes you pessimistic darlings, the population growth is no longer 5% but a mere 3%.  Nothing to worry about there.  Why, just a few more funds and condoms to a UN Girl Power group and we will have the population problem under control! ).  When population grows at a mere 1% a year, in a century your population has doubled.  Do you really think we will have petroleum to feed 14 billion people in a century ( yes, I know that is a linear equation.  Of course it is ridiculous )?  That is bad enough, right?  But a 2% increase is SEVEN fold in a century.  Now THAT is non-linear.  Nobody in their right mind thinks this planet can support a seven fold increase in today’s population.  Yet, when the population rate increases over 2%, because they don’t think in such long term figures, everyone thinks the problem is manageable. 

*

Non Linear is a gold plated bitch.  But those above are the GOOD figures.  Once we get into crop failures and calorie deficits, something that happens in mere months or seasons,  the picture is a lot more bleak.  Stay tuned next article.

END

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page.  IF YOU DON’T SEE THE AD, DISABLE AD BLOCK ( go to the Ad Blocker while on my page and scroll down the menu to “disable this site” ). You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year. Or, buy the monthly magazine.  Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for mere Book Money, so do your part.

*  My monthly newsletter: search at Amazon under Kindle “Malthusian Survivalist Newsletter”.  * 
*Contact Information*  Links To Other Blogs *  Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com
*Link To All My Published Books
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

12 comments:

  1. I was raised in Gettysburg, knew everything about the civil war, Lincoln, everything. Or so I thought. About 15 years ago DiLorenzo cracked my head against the wall and knocked all the fabricated Lincoln nonsense out of my head. I was crestfallen. Everything I knew was wrong. The entire establishment lied, all of my life, and still. Most never break free.

    For a down and dirty version of the "War of Northern Aggression" see here. Lengthy, but not long book style. A must read for all freedomists and truth seekers. Thank me later.

    http://buchanan.org/blog/pjb-mr-lincolns-war-an-irrepressible-conflict-1440

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an FYI http://www.bisonpress.com/ (which I use for you links) seems to be down...

    ReplyDelete
  3. “the book “Why Lincoln Chose War” by Spencer Gantt was gifted to me by a Top Tier Minion [translation, he is in my favor at the moment”

    Eh, it was the least I could do James. I owed you one after that bum steer of recommending that Rich Scheben book: One New York Man's Journey To Off Grid Living, which resulted in a waste of your hard earned money. I wouldn't have felt as guilty had I gifted it to you ;)

    Your copy of why government doesn't work has shipped. But it's one of those vague arrival dates: Feb 12th to March 1st. I'd imagine that you will have it no later than next week?

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems the shipping info has a bit of safety built in to it, otherwise the closer the faster. Usually. I don't really look and get my hopes up.

      Delete
  4. Correct as usual, which is why I have started showing my daughter the ways of poisonous plants, etc. She does not relies the intended end use I just planted the seed. My son gets a dose of the Corps regularly plus highly needed skills come the Time. Even though I covered a lot of bases I still know I am at least better then average chance of making it at best. Can only hope the kids make the best of intelligents and bruteness . peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hardest part would be encountering the need spur of the moment. If you ponder ahead of time, much easier to process and then act.

      Delete
  5. Population control will likely come about in two ways, both man-made. War and some kind of plague that accidentally gets released. But then some cure will be found when the desired results are reached.

    As far as post petrol-life look on U-Tube and watch the BBC shows "Edwardian Farm, Wartime Farm, Victorian Farm, The Victorian Pharmacy, Tudor Farm, Wartime Kitchen, and any other BBC series that pops up when you look at them. They all give an interesting look at how things were done in the past. The BBC does history better then any US network. I down-loaded (hard drive space is inexpensive) and saved them to watch now and if or when we suffer gov interference in the net. I don't know if we will ever get to a 100% post petrol point, but we could easily get to a point where it's too expensive to use it up the way we do now. At that point we could see a relapse back to the more labor intensive way of doing things. These BBC shows show how it was done in the past.

    To save U-Tube videos (download them for off-line viewing) here is a web site I have used for the last few years.

    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001002.htm


    Chuck Findlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And some things the BBC does VERY badly. Netflix has the remake of "Survivors". Terrible. Couldn't even finish watching the first season.

      Delete
  6. Never watched any Survivors, be it US or British version.
    No one ( even I don't do everything perfect, I know hard to believe!) does everything right every time. But these BBC shows window into the past are informative and give a good view at how it was done before petrol and electricity and almost pure consumerism based living dominated our life. I choose to enjoy the positive aspects of them and not to watch things I don't like or feel will benefit me.


    Want to save money and dump Netflix?

    Go to www.Putlocker.is and type in any movie or TV show name and watch it for free. TV shows and movies from the 1960 up to and including ones just made are there. The new Star Wars was there a few weeks after it's release.

    No need to give Netflix corp any of your money.


    Chuck Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  7. No catch as far as I can tell. I have add blocker, Spybot, Malware blocker and so far they have not set off any alarms so it looks to be a clean site.

    It's free and works great, just put in the movie or TV show and watch it.

    Chuck Findlay.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED