Monday, November 14, 2016

OPR'S 2 of 3


OPR’S 2

We last left off with a disdain for both incurable optimists and incorrigible pessimists and wondered if perhaps we could somewhat meet in the middle and have the best of both worlds.  I of course love being a pessimist as my old age and ever growing cynicism, which was always latent but bloomed marvelously after I attended the University Of Real Life, takes on new dizzying heights.  I did so well in my younger years huddling away from reality, happy as a pig in a trough of swill ignoring all of little import and immersed in my world off the printed page.  And I would have done fine there had I not poked my Little Head out in search for female companionship.   Then I was forced to deal with such nonsense as Procreating, Career, Socializing and other horrors.  Most guys that have had some but more likely most of their soul corroded away with these acidic concepts will of course spout about how we all need to grow up and face life and take on challenges and other uplifting slogan material that is used to make themselves feel better but I can’t help but take with a grain of salt.  I came, I spawned, I’m in the first stages of death.  Humping joy.  I think I missed something in the sales pamphlet.  Any of you who are still around that had read me in the early ‘90’s might remember me being a little less defeatist back then.

*

But is any of that worse than being a Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy spouting bumper sticker?  The humpers that want everybody to be happy in life, despite what life throws at them, need a proctologist to perform an emergency cranial rectal inversion procedure.  No, we are both equally bad at how we view life, the universe and everything.  As in all things, moderation is key.  Stop being so friggin upbeat, and certainly quit being so much of a downer because both views irritate those around you.  I used to purposely pump myself up to ooze happiness on Mondays, taking delight in the grumpy greeting to my exuberance.  I don’t have the energy for that anymore, nor the inclination to do anything but vote that the idiots I work for broke my spirit, but luckily for me everyone else has just as much of an issue of being as cheerful as used to be possible.

*

But this isn’t really about talking yourself into enjoying being screwed.  It isn’t about life in general.  It is about allowing an un-moderated attitude to bite you in the ass during preparedness.  I’m constantly going on about how Yuppie Scum Survivalists and other evolutionary rejects ( it makes sense that they are religious rather than Darwinists as their wishful thinking fantasies need a deity to save them from their own stupidity-so the insult “evolutionary rejects” probably doesn’t register in their pea brains.  To those of my minions who are religious, congratulations.  You at least understand that God helps those that help themselves by thinking for themselves ) are so optimistic ( Peak Oil doesn’t start until 2030!  We’ll recover from every Depression!  Freedom and independence is one vote away! ) but in this article I’ll address the equal problem of survivalists being too pessimistic.  Yes, surprisingly, there is such as thing as too paranoid.  Who knew?  I’ve been so busy telling you to get more paranoid I’ve spent most of my time ignoring day to day reality in favor of a far worse future one.

*

I can 100% guarantee that the entire globe will see a die-off in the ninety-nine point something range.  99.9% is not out of the question ( there will still be enough numbers and diversity, far better than the last bottleneck we went through, so don‘t get your Snoopy underwear in a bunch over the decimal points ).  I won’t rehash the reasons at this point.  It is as simple as Malthus made it out to be and any fudging or wishful thinking you wish to apply doesn’t change the fact that seeing an equation to the end is as simple as doing the right math.  Now, the problem with that guarantee is timing.  Obviously.  I’ve just assumed the worse and lived my life the last 15 years accordingly.  Okay, not the Very Worst.  I’m not living as a hermit far away from everyone with a lifetimes worth of wheat and reading material.  I want to, but that is just too much ( remember, I already got used to being married and at this point I’m gambling on dying of overwork and lack of medical care rather than the collapse-so I’ve remained part of society ).  But I’ve invested in the worse case scenario.

*

And I sometimes wonder, how much was I subconsciously effected by 9/11?  Prior to that, I was just a Y2K prepper.  Prior to THAT, I was just a Mormon Prepper ( one years supplies, return to default normal ).  So, I did change my thinking prior to Y2K ( thank you, Dr. North ) to go from, basically, camping gear, gun and food equipped refugee, to seeing that the bigger infrastructure surrounding me and until then invisible was a lot more important than thought.  It had a much bigger impact and was actually in very real danger of not coming back.  But I was still too gear dependent.  It took a financial tsunami and a False Flag attack by the neocons to get me to advance up to the next level of civilization collapse ( Y2K would have been an imperial collapse only ).  Working towards life AFTER gear.  I eventually came to focus on this to a much larger degree.  And it wasn’t a wasted effort.  Hell, I’m much better off than most “Backwoods Home” homesteaders. 

*

I can weather the financial collapse much easier.  But the nagging question remains, I went from normal life to life after the collapse and have made little progress towards life DURING the collapse, and what if I’m wrong about the velocity of the collapse?  What’s a Brother to do in a society still ruled by the elite, but with few jobs and almost no welfare?  I can’t even count on my writing income to make the transition with me ( once the means of prepping is gone, how relevant are my scribblings? ).  More tomorrow.

END

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page.  IF YOU DON’T SEE THE AD, DISABLE AD BLOCK ( go to the Ad Blocker while on my page and scroll down the menu to “disable this site” ). You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.  Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for mere Book Money, so do your part.*** 
*Contact Information*  Links To Other Blogs *  Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com           *wal-mart wheat
*Link To All My Published Books
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

16 comments:

  1. Yes in many ways, wondering about the in between time worries me too. There are times that I think about the aspect of just hunkering down on the homestead and waiting out the die off.
    It's that damn in between time that screws that up. The time period where John law still controls yet does not provide protection, only prosecution...
    Hell after wrol , I'm more than covered...so long as more than a hundred don't rush the house at one time hee hee.
    So alas I must retire to the swamp and hope John law dies before me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Swampy Fortress Of Doom is much better than my surrounding desert as far as a moat. You have water and food in yours. I think you've chosen wisely enough.

      Delete
  2. Greetings James. Haven't commented lately as I usually read you on my phone and only can comment form my computer. As always enjoy most of your topics. Looking forward to where this series is going. I'm a realist with some degree of pessimism.

    Hope all is well in your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and same to you. I know all too well the issues of the Internet and the boonies ( not to mention being frugal ). No worries.

      Delete
  3. Lord Bison,

    The rays from your mane shine so brightly today.
    Might I ask a question? You have in dribs and drabs made reference to not caring for the "Backwoods Home" types. I am just curious as to why?

    Thanks and have a fine day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the "20 acres of fields and woods and babbling brooks" types. You can't have a self-sufficient ( or, near enough ) system too much under this requirement. They are in debt with a mortgage to gain food independence, trading financial serfdom for food security. Non-viable. It is far more feasible to store grain on junk land, no debt, and then pick wild veggies and trap. The mortgage holders won't get to the true collapse before the financial one kicks them off their land. They have one hope, overnight collapse. Good luck with that one.

      Delete
  4. What you are experiencing is the "Starve the Deplorables" stage of an Engineered Collapse. Google "Holodomor", read, and then LOOK AROUND. This is SUPPOSED to FEEL Like it will last FOREVER!
    Remember, YOU ARE NOT the only one that notoced that it will NOT Last...
    It might seem counter-intuitive, "You MUST buy this!" (car [Fuel], Insurance [Both on the Car, and your MUST Purchase "Affordable Care"), coupled with "you are not allowed to make enough to Afford this" is, BY DESIGN, intended to STOP you from "Stockpiling" the Means to Survive.
    It is ALL about timing. This past year, there were LOTS of TeeVee Programs Centered Around "Prepping" (the Gaye Term (R) for Survivalism).
    In is NO COINCIDENCE that ALL of the Programs about "Deplorables" are designed to mock them. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
    Very Soon (R), it will stop "Being COOL" to "Prep". BUY SUPPLIES AT THAT TIME, since the Prices Will DROP, as people back away...
    Why are you "Prepping"? that is SOOO Y2K! The new iSomething came out, and you are buying WHEEET? He! He!
    The Platform FEELS STABLE, until the Hangman Pulls the Lever...

    -eviltwin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really agree that anything is planned. Too many historical parellels between our collapse and others. Our Elites are greedy and vicious, not smart or brilliant.

      Delete
  5. “I’m not living as a hermit far away from everyone with a lifetimes worth of wheat and reading material.”


    Neither am I, but society sucks so bad these days that I wish I was. The only thing that could make it even better would be to top it off with a Cherry 2000 ;)


    “What’s a Brother to do in a society still ruled by the elite, but with few jobs and almost no welfare?”


    That's what I was kind of trying to convey in a previous comment James. Ideally you would have X amount of years (based on your age) of property tax funds (reasonable with junk land) clothes, and food, so that in a worse case scenario you can live out your days with your needs met. I fully accept that I will probably never again be employed (laid off minion here) in the conventional sense of the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still plan on doing the "pampered peasant" book, just have a stack of other article ideas I want to tackle first.

      Delete
  6. Technology is going to become undependable. So access to resources (news, information, and readers) via the internet will be questionable. Will people huddle by their computers hoping the net will come back some day? What about shortwave broadcasting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shortwave is a staple of survivalism. I can see, perhaps, if you can do so cheaply, having a unit. I wouldn't jump through hoops for a license but that is just me. I know communications are important, I just can't see placing my limited funds there. Seems to be more of a "die-off" tool than a post-collapse one.

      Delete
    2. They use to have this stuff. It was real thin. Ground up wet plant, squished flat and dried. Then they would spread squid cum or something so it looked like a computer screen. Crap.... maybe James will know it's name.

      Delete
    3. I think we will see some weird melding of high tech and low tech as things progress. A decade ago I spent a fair amount of time in the third world. Just as cell phones and the internet were starting to take hold. It was interesting...you could not always be assured of grid power but the cell phones and internet connections were everywhere and worked about as good as they do here in the US. Hell, I live around alot of Amish now that use cell phones for communication. They were using CB's to dispatch their volunteer fire squads. I feel like communications equipment is so cheap at this point that it will take a long while for it to all dry up and go away.

      Delete
    4. DM-why would you need a fake computer screen? No idea what you are referring to.
      *
      FTC-CB's for fire dispatch sounds smarter-no towers to fail.

      Delete
  7. Not 11:25 James, but the shortwave idea could have some merit with regards to communications. For a receiver you can build a super simple crystal set. It's literally only a few components, such as a coil, a geranium diode, an earphone, and a tuning capacitor to go across the coil (Totally going off of memory here, but I'm pretty close). No battery power required.

    For a transmitter, there are some really simple kits and plans out there. You can google the Tuna Can set for an idea of what I'm getting at. It uses very low power, and has something like a 1/10 of a watt, yet will actually transmit worldwide under the right conditions, and with the proper antenna setup, which can be as simple as a wire strung across two points. Now this is a very simple transmitter, and it does not carry voice, but rather, transmits Morse code. Still, it's a step up from the 19th century telegraph since it is wireless. Post collapse, I wouldn't worry too much about the licensing.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED