Monday, January 18, 2016

frantic preps 1 of 3


FRANTIC PREPS

Not all of us have been prepping heavily for the last twenty years.  Some of you just got informed about this little thing called resource depletion and civilization collapse ( if you are just looking to prepare for a couple of weeks of power grid down or a hurricane or something similar which still allows you to salute the flag in a spastic and jingoistic manner as you pay homage to the Thousand Year Fracking Reich, I’m really not sure why you are hanging out at this blog, getting my hopes up I might actually be able to retain the five hundred readers that I have ).  Now that it seems likely that the economy is indeed flying apart faster than a wet turd in a washing machine, you are rightly concerned that you are about to die a horrible death after being tortured and thrown in the stewpot.  And are pondering just what in the heck you were thinking and just what in the name of all that is holy and just you are going to do now ( I understand that most of my readers are veterans of the Long Paranoia and have no such worries, but the minority of my minions are people too, not to be cruelly cast aside and shunned and whispered viciously about ).  First off, you’ve come to the only right place because everyone else is going to ask you to spend a heck of a lot more money than I ever will.  Money you don’t really have.  Money that isn’t going to make a huge amount of difference because in the end cool gear is not going to save humanity in the die-off. 

*

Lady Luck is a syphilitic whore and she will count for 90% of your passing grade in the survival test.  You can be completely squared away and still meet Murphy ( of Murphy’s Law ) on a Bad Hair Day.  You will die.  So prepping is just about manipulating that 10% left under your control.  You can prep stupid ( unmet plans and unresolved question due to lack of money ) which is where the Prep Guru money is, or you can plan smart which is to stretch every cent you spend until Abe is screaming in pain ( a condition I can only hope is mirrored in the deepest pits of Hell as that Junk Smoker gets his just desserts ).  Time MIGHT be short ( or it might not-only douches time the collapse ), but you Always Prepare Yesterday ( if you are too poor to buy my Frugal Survivalist or the PEE book, no worries.  I’m not going to demand your last $3 for life saving info.  Look up on one of my last two blogs-this one or the James M Dakin one- for the complete “PEE” posted as articles ).  Always assume the worse, prep with the absolute bare bones plan, then if time permits add better quality to the bare bones.  Saving money to eventually buy a years worth of yummy and ( so claimed ) nutritious freeze dried food is you trying to time the collapse.  Buy grains, NOW.  If time permits add better food.  If time runs out, it should, mostly, keep you alive ( better to have calories than nutrients.  Either/or but not both will kill you, but more calories even if with less nutrients kills you slower.  Poor people can’t buy optimal, only least worst ).  Just as a BTN ( Better Than Nothing) lay is better than celibacy ( fat and ugly bitches at 2am ), a BTN diet is better than starving.  Next article, financing and buying your BTN Stockpile.

END

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page.  IF YOU DON’T SEE THE AD, DISABLE AD BLOCK ( go to the Ad Blocker while on my page and scroll down the menu to “disable this site” ). You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year. Or, buy the monthly magazine.  Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for mere Book Money, so do your part.

*  My monthly newsletter: search at Amazon under Kindle “Malthusian Survivalist Newsletter”.  * 
*Contact Information*  Links To Others*  Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com
*My books: http://bisonprepper.blogspot.com/2015/04/my-book-links.html
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there

18 comments:

  1. Grain, Beans, Water filters, Bullets.
    If you have to prep NOW get these.
    When you think you have enough, get more and buy 'bandaids' as well.
    Note there is no gun listed there, they are too expensive to get more of if you already have one or two, in fact I would recommend to any family that has more than 2 per person to sell the extra and buy more bullets for the remaining ones.
    Water filters and grain is going to be more important than lots of guns for both preserving your family's freedom and surviving the hard times ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if truly poor, one gun will suffice. Long arm. If you need a pistol now to survive, you are living in the wrong place.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, James, for reminding me why to still prep. I've been prepping so long I dont know where I put everything. Could be the bears got the stuff in the woods. But I keep going thinking this last trip to big lots or dallah store could be the last. Its a built in habit.
      But you are right, there was a lull there that could have tripped me up to think nothing was wrong and I was a Complete paranoid but nope, its now worse than ever, surging forward with a vengeance. You are practicing the best teaching method ever, constantly repeating the mantra: Frugal prepping, frugal prepping. Thanks for all you do. Nobody else will tell it like it is.

      Delete
    3. I hope I bring enough new info to be refreshing enough, but yes, frugal prepping is the core repetitive preaching. And, really, how could I NOT tell it like it is? The insanity others preach is full of endless rants and lunacy. I also forget where most of my stuff is. Sometimes I just buy duplicates when I forget. Can't hurt.

      Delete
  2. Water is number 1. You can't go many days without water, especially if you are laboring. Walking, running, digging a hole etc. I use the rule of threes, even if they are not exact. 3 Minutes without Air, 3 Days without Water and 3 Weeks without Food. In my neck of the country, water is everywhere, so I have filters. Several. In the desert you probably have to store it. Don't forget the Toilet tank and water heaters, will have drinkable water if have to improvise.

    Grain is good, like James and JJ say. I would like to add, Powdered Milk. Between Wheat and the Milk you will have the full compliment of amino acids. (Not all protein is equal) Vitamin C will last a while too. Diet will be boring, but you will live.

    Shotguns are relatively cheap and versatile as long as you stay simple. Buck or #1 for close up and slugs good out to 100 yards. While many hold more than one shot, you don't use one for supressive fire, trust me. I can put 7 shots of 00 through an 870 real fast, but my ball cap and safety glasses end up on the ground. I'm 250 lbs before I put on Body Armor. Plus I'm not sure how accurate I am past the first trigger pull. (I did it for kicks to see what would happen.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shelf life of milk concerns me, yet beans ain't cheap anymore. I should research it a little, the milk. I stopped buying beans years ago and should get more protein.

      Delete
    2. Four years ago as a test I bought a #10 can of Auguson Farms powdered milk and liked it right away. I and my wife drank 1 cu and put it back in the larder. A year later we tried it again and noticed no diff. We have tried it each year and have seen no diff in the look or taste. We will get more. Make no mistake, powdered milk that tastes acceptable is very expensive. But if you have the coin I give Auguson the thumbs up.

      I can't say the same for their dehydrated peppers and onions or their fake chicken or their mixed stew vegetables. They didn't remove the seeds from the peppers, the fake chicken tasted like plastic and the mixed vegetables were innundated with salt.

      Delete
    3. Non-fat powdered milk has very-long shelf life. Whole or low-fat less-so as the fats go bad. Non-fat milk contributes to survival, but not happiness, unlike a chocolate bar.

      Delete
    4. I tried powdered milk and oil mixed one time, as a storage food replacement for margarine. Retching was too good for it. Total ass taste.

      Delete
  3. And don't forget salt. Lots of salt. Good trade item. And there are other uses of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are far from a source, I wouldn't necessarily trade. Just stock up for the lifetime. And of course have silver in your post-PODA bug out bag to trade for some more if you lose yours.

      Delete
    2. Yes Wade, I did forget to mention it. James pointed out that you need the iodized salt for your diet, but plain salt for curing and preserving. You can buy plain rock salt cheap as a big box somewhere. I wouldn't do the stuff you throw on ice, because it may not have been handled well enough to be safe to eat. The Pool salt at Wal Mart is of high purity. Don't know what is in the "System Saver" salt made for water softening, so unless you know it's OK to consume, I would stay away from it.

      Delete
    3. Table salt is pretty cheap at Costco in big bags. Make sure you store it air tight so it doesn't collect the air moisture and turn into a solid block. You can still use it but it's a pain..... Don't ask me how I know ;)

      Idaho Homesteader

      Delete
  4. Jim the BTN plan is better than 98% of the population has. People like to be called Prepper's .I always say survive is the first part of survivalist. Before you can thrive you better plan to survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I think they skip the survive part and go right to Thrive.

      Delete
    2. So, I cans git thermal imagers and batrry from bunkers with dead luxury preppers inside, if I makes it past the robot sentry gunz and electrik fenses? Memorized Vault-Tec access codes already.

      Delete
    3. If the Postman can get past the robots, so can you.

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED