Thursday, October 12, 2017

fun time over


FUN TIME OVER

Well, kids, fun time is over.  You know it, I know it and most certainly Ross Perot knows it.  It was all fun and games talking about prepping, manly men shopping ( as opposed to girly shoe and blouse shopping ), reading zombie books and arguing over the merits of Peak Oil verses Fracking Forever.  But now that the collapse is a definite For Real done deal, the happy aspect of it all is over.  Now every thing takes on a far more somber tone.  Before, we could argue over AR’s verses war surplus bolts, you could buy both and everyone went on arguing the merits as if it were merely choosing the best duty sidearm.  It was harmless fun until someone lost an eye.

*

Now, since this Crap Got REAL, Yo!, it is a bit more of a serious matter deciding which gun to buy because, one, it might be your last one you can afford to buy ( or, the last one the factory churned out ), and two, now it’s a real defensive weapon instead of just another fun toy you’re adding to your collection.  Plus, now you actually have to plow serious money into ammunition because that game is almost over, also.  Less guns, more ammo, more for stockpiling and far less for fun range time.  No more fun there.

*

I’m feeling it a bit myself, with my writing.  It isn’t fun any more.  And not because it is now my real day job-this publishing has always been a hard thing to do, done properly, but at least before I could conduct rants, go off on ex-wife tangents, bring up immaterial matters like politics.  Now, it seems like that enjoyable part is ending.  It’s all pretty dull and serious stuff.  Granted, I’m trying to keep my sense of humor, but it does just keep getting harder.  It is far more a Mission From God calling now than it is a Fun Hobby.  From Day One it was evangelical, but it was also more enjoyment than duty.  Now…?

*

We all knew it was over, a long time ago.  Even if we didn’t admit it to ourselves.  Peak Oil was 2005 ( every thing there after merely details-the end result a given ).  When New Orleans and Detroit ( and Newark and etc. ) were never rebuilt or even the piles of rubble never removed, that was Peak Infrastructure Collapse.  That occurred prior to the 2008 financial collapse.  Once it became law that every citizen could be arrested without cause and detained indefinitely, that was the end game of the police state.  I could go one-but my point is that all our caterwauling is just conformational bias trying to mute denial.

*

Dennis Meadows, updating The Limits To Growth, spoke of 2015-2020 as the overshoot and collapse beginning.  It seems he was correct ( see Energy Skeptic.com June 3, 2014 ).  You can throw a dead cat and hit an example.  The medical industry, most obviously.  You don’t get to increase costs 20-30% a year and survive that ( and since that is 20% of our economy, expect an oh so thunderous crash there ).  Retail Apocalypse ( after Amazon closes its doors, or at least returns to just books, the retail sector will still shrink ).  The 1% raping and looting the last standing infrastructure.  Houston, oil processing capital, left to mostly rot other than media spotlight pics.

*

Near Monopoly companies ( Paladin Press, the biggest freeze dried food producer ) are going out of business due to lack of demand.  Consumers living paycheck to paycheck ( 49% of the population ) don’t have a lot of disposable income.  That all goes to the medical industry.  Until their working hours get cut again, then nothing goes there.  I mean, really, to look at all this evidence that we are beyond the condition of most Third World countries, and deny it?  That are people thinking?  I can understand the average Moe on the street.  Eat corn derivatives and stay focused on your electronic teat.  But when my readers, the loyal minions that stay to be abused, don’t like the signs they see?  How can you deny?

*

Life goes on.  We keep keeping on until the ass falls out of civilization.  But can’t we at least drop the attitude like we have much time left?  I don’t expect a McPhearson level of depression and gloom.  And I know it takes a lot more effort to see the fun in all this.  But if we at least accepted the end is indeed nigh, as in months rather than years or decades ( not trying to date the collapse, I’m trying to highlight the needed attitude and level of preparedness ), couldn’t our discourse be far more helpful? 

*

As an example, I was taken to task after I wrote the article of Below Acceptable Minimal Standards Of Prepping ( I don’t remember the title, that was just meant to be descriptive ).  The one where I said bags of flour and a spear made from thrift store paring knives, financed with Food Stamp cash.  Remember that one?  Well, evidently I didn’t aim higher.  I was guilty of proposing substandard items.  Duh, right?  That was the point.  Someone with nothing and no job and in two months at least they had a six month supply of food.  I figured it was good for pensioners or the unemployed or your relatives and friends who wouldn’t prep.  It was the ultimate Better Than Nothing.

*

So why was it lambasted?  I’m guessing that since some of us are still in denial, it is still the Fun Time Happy Talk phase of prepping.  I can’t agree.  That time is long gone.  It is really panic time.  Not because I can time the collapse-no one can.  But because too many occurrences are dog-piling each other and things seem to be rushing quicker to the waterfall.  Hell, even our Bread And Circuses are in grave danger right now.  The #1 Circus, professional football, is in danger of catastrophic failure.  Movie studios spend $300 million for a superhero flop.  When Heaven’s Gate did that, the studio went under.  Now?  An every day occurrence.  The entertainment industry is collapsing.  That’s another article. 

*

For now, perhaps we can focus less on preps ( you either have already got them or drop everything to get them, and then call it good one way or another ) and more on the humor as things implode.  Instead of a call to preps, they can simply be enjoyed ( I’ll work at trying to stop crying wolf for prepping. It isn’t going to be easy, as I’ve had twenty plus years doing it ).  And post-collapse becoming more of a focus ( again, it will be a work in progress as old habits die hard ). 

END ( today's related link http://amzn.to/2khy1zl )
 
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. ***You can make donations or book purchases through PayPal ( www.paypal.me/jimd303 )
*** Unless you are in extreme poverty, spend a buck a month here, by the above donation methods or buy a book. If you don't do Kindle, send me a buck and I'll e-mail it to you in a PDF file.  If you donated, you may request books no charge.   My e-mail is: jimd303@reagan.com  My address is: James M Dakin, 181 W Bullion Rd #12, Elko NV 89801-4184
*** Pay your author-no one works for free.  I’m nice enough to publish for barely above Mere Book Money, so do your part.***   Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio*   my web site is www.bisonprepper.com *** Wal-Mart wheat***Amazon Author Page
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there
 

36 comments:

  1. Hell, I've been saying any day now since around 75...
    Now since 2008, I've been thinking we've done went over the waterfall of the drain pipe...plunging toward the trap...from which forward progress halts and nothing but the prepared make their way through the wasteland. Most don't realize that the trap is coming fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, trap? 'Muricans, fracking oil, Trump, empire. Hubris? Does not compute.

      Delete
    2. The trap is where all that crap lodges and gets left behind. The trap is the city. Don't get caught between a clogged trap and freedom. Always have a way past the trap.

      Delete
    3. OK, now your statement is better understood. And...my response is now more true than ever. Give up cars? Cities? Luxury? The humanity!

      Delete
  2. You know what writers block is, right?
    Well there's also readers block.
    Variety is the spice of life and I'm always searching for new sources of interesting things to consume.

    No 2 people are the same and everybody has a story to tell and info to share. To keep things fresh, inspiring, and appealing you have to step back from the fray and get a different perspective. When your source material is the same old stuff all over again your production will be the same. Boredom will kill you faster than lack of potable water.

    Remember this?:
    Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
    Watch lights fade from every room.
    Bedsitter people look back and lament,
    Another day's useless energy spent.
    Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
    Lonely man cries for love and has none.
    New mother picks up and suckles her son,
    Senior citizens wish they were young.
    Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
    Removes the colours from our sight.
    Red is grey and yellow white.
    But we decide which is right.
    And which is an illusion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't ring a bell, but rather cool.

      Delete
    2. @ Ghost. Nice Moody Blues reference!

      Don't know if it is a good thing, but I just went into more debt to buy 3 acres with a pond across from the now paid off homestead. Between a relative and I we will have 17 acres all together. 34 months on the hook to pay off the new land, but if I fail, just lose out on the land, nothing else at risk.

      Still using used batteries that I got in 2013. They rock! Stationary batteries by Panasonic. 1040 AH in each 2 volt cell. I bought extra cells so I could replace cells as they failed. That is the problem with battery packs. Most have a failure of one or more cells and you get rid of the whole pack. I got 56 cells that are 2 volts each and they are still working. Off grid for 50 months now. Made up 2 strings of 48 volts each and hooked them together (Each on their own breaker) for 2080 AH at 48 volts dc. If all of the batteries were wired in 12 volts there would be over 10,000 AH. Pretty easy to live with this much juice. Run a air source heat pump for AC, deep freeze, frig, compressors, tools, welder. Almost anything.

      Keep up the good work,

      MOFreedom

      Delete
    3. It's from the old Moody Blues album, the one with Nights in White Satin on it.

      Keep doing what you're doing but try to see things from a different perspective, maybe a broader range, maybe a little more detail. Perhaps branching off from the preppers stuff a little bit. Some of us aren't completely destitute.

      Delete
    4. I was told the same-branch UP in preps. It is hard, but I tried a bit. "Half Way House" article. May or may not have worked. Here shortly.
      *
      More debt for land. The same way I bought the stuff. If I'm unemployed I'll lose the land but it was just extra. I still have Plan A land. Why worry, right? The money will be worthless soon enough anyway.

      Delete
    5. Days of the future past.
      My favorite Moody Blues album.
      It's criminal that they were just recently inducted into the Rock hall of fame.
      Should have been there from day one imho

      Delete
  3. Nights in White Satin. Very prophetic about life, and what we as the human race have been going through for hundreds of years.
    Now that you have called "fun time" over and in 1 way or another stated that the end times are officially here, I'm going to take my ball and go home.
    I don't want to play with all of you humans anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moody Blues. Excellent stuff, but I was more into the Doors and Pink Floyd. As much as I ever was into music, anyway. Oh, with a One Off with the Sex Pistols ( didn't care for any other similar ). Anarchy in the UK. Friggin in the riggin. Anyone? Bueller?

      Delete
    2. Morrison was born here in Melbourne

      Delete
  4. You're forgiven for crying wolf due to all the wolves being around.

    You are right. This stuff was a lot more fun before it became a lot more real. Like Spud, I've been expecting the wheels to come off since the 70s. Felt lucky to get my place in the woods in the late 80s. Heck, had my own personal economic collapse from 93 - 97. Used up my preps then and started rebuilding when things got a bit better.

    The only reason I held it all together back then was because I have a great wife who stuck with me. A divorce would have taken everything.

    When she suddenly lost her career through medical issues, we barely skipped a beat. You get better at this stuff with practice.

    I've got friends around my age, late 50s, who are only getting by because they were smart enough to live in small houses before it was cool. Those pretending that everything is fine are working 70 - 80 hour weeks to barely keep the illusion of a middle class life.

    I'll add more food, but cannot justify buying another gun or any more ammo. Stocked up back when it was cheap.

    I'm waiting for the all the young people who are buried in debt to admit they'll never pay it and just stop. If that movement catches on, it'll bring things down in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A LOT of young'uns must already be "Atlas Shrugging". Why else dropping car ownership, college loan defaults? Okay, perhaps that is the older ones with no more recourse. I guess it doesn't matter which demographic shoves over the apple cart, though. Of course, Wall Street will shoot themselves in the foot first, probably. This month? Only because it's October-just a nice thought, not a prophecy.

      Delete
  5. >>>Now, it seems like that enjoyable part is ending. It’s all pretty dull and serious stuff.

    Well, here, unwind a bit. This one's a cross between Watership Down and The Road.

    http://www.scurrycomic.com/scurry-comic/2016/1/17/comic-01-00

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only comics I could even get into were Heavy Metal-because, you know, boobs.

      Delete
  6. Well last night I ate rice flavoured with soy sauce for tea, today I ate that for breakfast & I'll eat it for smoko & lunch as well.

    Why?

    I'm focused 100% on building up my ammo supply. BTN levels for all my GATS!!!

    At them moment I'm reading "Lights out", I've read it before (when it was free via frugal squirals). Not as scary as "1 minute after" but it is a fun read. I actually got something out of it. It had a bit about how older buildings had windows low down and high up to facilitate bringing in cooler air and expelling hot air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started reading it online ( can't remember if I finished or not ), liked it, got it in paper. Seems like the template the hacks use for all theirs.

      Delete
  7. Man oh man!

    You guys are all burned out.

    The survival movement is burned out.

    What if they had a Doomsday and everyone came? And then NOTHING happened?

    There would be lots of very disappointed empty people.

    Here is the title for one of your future articles Jim:

    "DOOMSDAY AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! BECAUSE......"

    YKW
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Newly reintroduced 9mm "forever" gun...

    http://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5783.html

    This is actually more practical than the LCR 9mm I have, and will fire a wider variety of 9mm (115 grain standard and +P without problems). The LCR 9mm with the 1-7/8" barrel has ballistics that match a 3" barrel on an auto, so this with a 2-1/4" barrel should perform a little better. It takes moon clips, which are the fastest possible revolver reload, or you can single-load them and pluck the empties out with your fingernail.
    Peace out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm a broken record. But, really! $700? For a revolver? When the auto pistol and carbine combo is $500 or so. And reliable enough, from reports. Do I hate auto's enough to pay that kind of premium? A 10/22 and a 357 revolver should be less than this revolver. Or, a single shot rifle with the revolver both in 357. I know price isn't everything, but price is also not nothing.

      Delete
    2. My plans for acquiring handguns took a huge hit when I failed to meet a milestone and was told to go back to the start of the process. Very expensive and time consuming. Calories & ammo for existing GATS first!!!

      That being said, my (uninformed) preference is for SP101 in 22lr & 357mag coupled with 357 Marlin Lever action & bolt 22.

      Delete
    3. Being predisposed towards contrariness, I don't necessarily think everyone even needs a pistol. If you are safe in your current location without one to counter crime, what place do they have post-collapse? A rifle sling should be a higher priority than a handgun. If you don't have a bayonet, or only a 22 rifle, then yes, a pistol is required. Otherwise...

      Delete
    4. I enjoyed the ex-wives tangents! Seeing it all happen right now with my sisters boy....

      Delete
    5. You could throw Oprah and hit a poor schmuck going through it.

      Delete
  9. Stop playing, start stockpiling for reals ya'll

    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/congress-warned-north-korean-emp-attack-would-kill-90-of-all-americans/article/2637349

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not saying this is no threat, but just consider the source. A bunch of greedy alcoholic and coked up lawyers trying to make their bills for their hookers apartments, selling out to the highest bidders. When congress warns me of anything, I cover my wallet. When Goldman or JP Morgan warn me of anything, my wallet is already gone.

      Delete
  10. I think a lot of the reason why Paladin Press is going out of business is that nearly all of the content they sold in books now is available FREE on the internet, complete with on site YouTube videos how they did it. Hard copies of this information are necessary to instruct others after the grid goes down.

    Definitely getting past the Doubling Down to fix any shortages of what you need after retail no longer exists, at least the level what we have now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see retail dissolving, at least as long as the spice flows. A LOT less stores, and perhaps two tier pricing ( available now prices and discount if placed on order until they get a containers worth ). Mom and Pop mail ordering, at pre-China prices. Less discount grocery stores. Less selection, far higher prices, no convenience but still retail. Not disagreeing with your statement, just trying to fill in the blanks.

      Delete
  11. I wish I was one of the early panicers. So many good deals on land and other good supplies that were passed up. Land was cheap in many areas of even my home state of the PRK, back in the 1980’s. The wool shirt that cost $35 in the 1980’s wasn’t so painful even with 1980’s wages, but the same shirt at $80 to $100 today is, despite increased wages.

    I suppose you can still get land cheap enough, but now you have to look at less popular areas to be able to find it at a reasonable price. In my area, land that went up significantly during the boom, only came back down a little in price following the crash. But people are delusional, and apparently not desperate enough yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only affordable land in many areas is available by moving out of the area. You can do as a lot of us do ( I did, initially. It was silly to give up the job I had at the time ) and just buy out of state as close as possible and have a bolt hole if/as needed. But, commodity inflation all around blows ( don't feel bad, I didn't prep good enough in the 80's, either ). I think what we need to do is compare the increases to now and realize that in a compressed period of time they will duplicate that increase. And don't forget the population near doubling back then to now. Do what you can, as well as you can as it is your last chance. Regret your past, but don't regret now in a short period of time.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jim. To clarify, I’m the Elko minion. When I lost my job in 2015 I decided that since I still had a little savings, that I’d get some junk land in case I couldn’t find more work, and in case I lost the place I park my RV at for free now. I haven’t needed it, or been there yet, but I’m glad I have it, and I will need it eventually. I do really want to get out there soon, and ideally, live there for part of the year, every year, until I’m there permanently.

      Delete
    3. Sorry for the late reply-Blogger wouldn't let me. Funny-ish story. I stressed for years about not having land. Finally got some, then some more. So, I had to stress about something else, right? So I started stressing about my ability in SHTF to actually get to the land. Once I had that solved, I started stressing about paying it off. Then about freezing to death before I built underground. Then improving the building. And etc. You solve one problem, you're still a tense puke. :)

      Delete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED