Wednesday, July 1, 2015

retreat now! 2


RETREAT NOW! 2

In our last exciting episode, I was trying to explain how, hopefully, my town living time will be short and I can get back off grid.  This time with a much improved life companion in tow.  The last time I moved off grid, the financial constraints were much more severe and we went through trials and tribulations ( not enough heat in the winter, etc. ) which made the experience less likeable for said companion.  This time, the new companion also works and so can contribute and help.  With not much more money, a much better life style can be achieved.  Before, a six thousand dollar property combined with a $1500 shelter, in a hand dug pit.  The future plan is for a machine dug pit for $800, on a $3k piece of land, in a $2k shelter.  If the move is made permanent, add another $1200 in digging and about another $3k, max, in shelter ( I’m shooting for six total cubes ).  The costs are not too far apart, with the new retreat money put into better shelter rather than the land.  The first land was preferable in that bike commuting was shorter, but this more expensive land ( closer to town, closer to the river ) also attracted too many additional neighbors.  When I moved there initially I had close to no neighbors, and now the place is lousy with them.  On the farther land there are a lot more neighbors now than before, but the difference is that there will never be electric lines out there and so the increase is relatively slight.

*

And the old property neighbors are not only numerous, but rather the flaming idiots.  Two years ago, the guy was grading the road ( it was seriously gullied-no issue on my bike but not great for several times a day car commuters ).  He did a great job, but once he got through the top couple of inches of rain hardened cement like dirt, it was all talcum powder.  No big deal, right?  Who knew?  But, now having known, the stupid hump grades it again, even with very minimal gullying, and the road is back to several inches of talc.  I actually skid sideways on my bike trying to plow through it, and the cars throw up huge clouds of the crap.  I’d prefer that kind of moron not be my neighbor.  The further land, some neighbors are druggies, and there will be an increased security issue, but I know some of them and hopefully that lessons the severity of casual theft.  Still a concern of course…

*

Now, again, this might not work out as a permanent move.  The old lady might well decide to stay in town.  But I lose nothing, as then I’ll just have a fall-back position to my first retreat property.  The fact that I can’t live out there will be unfortunate, but not serious.  By making it a camping spot, I teach the Ball And Chain how to live off grid, and come Forced Moving Time the transition will be easy.  More next article.

END
 
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year. *The Old Bison Blog on CD: Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I                         Also as a free e-book, but not cleaned up or organized, at Lulu
*Contact Information*  Links To OthersTop 20 Survivalist Fiction*  Land In Elko*  Lord Bison* my bio & biblio
*My books: http://bisonprepper.blogspot.com/2015/04/my-book-links.html
* By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there
 

 

18 comments:

  1. I recently ordered Dick's Encyclopedia of practical receipts and processes, James, from Amazon, and found myself wanting a back up copy. As I'm sure that you're already aware, Kurt Saxon used many of the recipes from this book in his Poor Man's Jame's Bond books.

    I found this book in PDF format (Link below) and recommend that everyone download it. I tried downloading the Kindle version, but had no luck. I then downloaded the PDF file, and it opened in Kindle?

    This book was said to have been written so that the average person from the 1870's could easily comprehend it. But reading through the first few pages, it soon becomes painfully obvious as to how dumbed down of a society that western civilisation has become, because I do not see the average westerner today as being able to have a grasp on most of the concepts detailed in this book.

    https://archive.org/details/encyclopediaofpr00dickrich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it is all just dumbing down. The vocabulary is completely different too, yes?

      Delete

    2. “I don't know if it is all just dumbing down. The vocabulary is completely different too, yes?”

      That's true as well James. But as painful as it is to admit, the average American (Present company at this site excluded) is a bonafide dumbfuck that doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Sadly, the people that come to mind the most as I type this, are all college educated. Wtf happened to this country, when a mere 50 years or so back, we were number one in practically everything?

      Delete
    3. Well, remember, 45 years ago was USA Peak Oil. Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just saying that was when we went from a surplus of resources to a deficit and that screwed up all our economics and that screwed up everything else. What we have today is the decades long end of trying to kick that can down the road. Nevada, may governor Sandavol rot in the lowest levels of hell for all eternity, just added another $1 tax on cigarettes because "it's for the children' and more school taxes. More school taxes go to admin salaries and construction bonds. Not education. $1 =less, not more education. Multiply that by everything in our society ( more money for less effective weapons militarily, more money for college educated idiots in charge of the military, more money for less choice in elections, more money to CEO's for less effectiveness ). All our institutions are being stripped to feed the 1% since resource wealth isn't there to do it. Just like the Rome Senate overworking the farms into widespread food shortages, famine, pestilence. The college's are overcharged to under-teach, so don't just blame the idiot graduates.

      Delete
  2. Ah, but will the new beau be willing to drop a deuce in a bucket? call it a composting toilette (or actually buy one) and she just might.
    Good luck. You are doing what I have started to do as well, I hope you and I are both successfull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did actually sell it as a composter, transferring from bucket to glass covered pit, and she seems okay with it. Of course, I'll be emptying it, so...

      Delete
    2. Ha! I can one up you! we are splitting the duties for the doodies-
      3 ways counting the kid.
      Still not fair as I fill it far less, but still.

      Delete
    3. Does the kid get extra crap detail when punished? Recall the Simpsons episode where Homer's dad substituted a class in the elementary school? Everything the kids did got a punishment ( that's a woopin! ). Good idea, "that's another crap detail"

      Delete
  3. Ahh Jim I envy your eternal optimism when it comes to romance, and wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Refer back to recent article on self-delusion :)

      Delete
    2. Isn't mutually supported self delusions the definition of romance?
      You tell them they are beautify they tell you that you are handsome/masculine, you both think the other is crazy, but heck at least you are getting a bed partner, and maybe even a partner in the rest of the fields of life.

      Delete
  4. I'd say include a large cistern and rain catchment to enable the further retreat to be sustainable. Water seems to be the fly in the ointment in your choices of locations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You won't take my advice anyway but I'll offer you some . Sounds to me like this new lady is a keeper! Try not to screw it up with unnecessary demands, unrealistic plans, or asserting your "manliness" or talking to much about your glorious hair and all that other bullshit! You need a working partner in your life! Someone to share your life without sacrificing to much of her own. Just my two cents worth. good luck with all your endeavors. your friend the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your advice is sound. Luckily for me and my abrasive personality, we are so alike and compatable it is scary. Oh, if I could only go back 25 years.

      Delete
  6. Attention Lee-Enfield fans:

    CTD "mystery" Berdan Brass .303 loaded ammo.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-B13448X

    As usual, CTD shipping on the first item sucks, unless you are in the city of the warehouse.

    pdxr13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXXXXCELLLANT! I'll check it out, even with my low budget right now. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Jim free advice. On the first part build it for her comfort and pay some one for better finish work on the inside. Water, power and heat double what you think and it mite be ok for her. The addition's can be a bit cruder as there for room and storage. Good luck

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED